Ohio State University Medical Center

1. Research Scientist

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Ohio State University Medical Center

Pros

Only good for graduation. Good benefit for employees.

Cons

Growth is very slow. Not a very good place for postdocs

2. I'd stay here

Current Intern - Intern in Columbus, OH
    Current Intern - Intern in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Ohio State University Medical Center as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

it's a pretty good place to work and I really enjoy my coworkers. cafeteria is really great too as an added bonus

Cons

I didn't feel like there was a lot of opportunities for advancement in my department normally but when the new James opened that exploded. It depends on timing.

3. Student Nutrition Aide

Former Employee - Student Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Student Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Ohio State University Medical Center

Pros

Good pay for a student job, short shifts two days a week, and every other weekend. Always opportunities to switch schedule with people and to get more hours.

Cons

Hospitals must serve food 365 days a year, so holidays get a little tight with people wanting to go home. Also, fast turn over. Almost entirely new staff from when I started to when I finished almost a year later.

Advice to Management

Offer longer training. When I began working, I shadowed other employees for a few weeks before having my own floor(s). By the time I left, new employees seemed to have only a few days of shadowing before going at it alone (although students and managers would still help them if they needed it).

5. Research opportunities abound

Former Employee - Research Assistant 1-B/H in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Research Assistant 1-B/H in Columbus, OH

I worked at Ohio State University Medical Center

Pros

Great benefits, location, and hours. Very stimulating, challenging environment which also offered tuition reimbursement or free classes through the university

Cons

A bit of a cutthroat environment at times - coworkers can be competitive, but that can be the case with any place of employment

Advice to Management

My manager was fantastic so none comes to mind

6. Amazing work environment!

Former Employee - Grants Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Grants Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Ohio State University Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture that was built around the importance of education, Healthcare and community.

Cons

Room for professional growth was limited and the salary was not conducive to the cost of Columbus

Advice to Management

Management was outstanding

7. It's a job

Current Employee - Office Administrative Associate in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Office Administrative Associate in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Ohio State University Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good health insurance.
    There is no other pros for this place but since I have to write a 20 word minimum I will just say..You are better off going to Ohio Health.

Cons

They don't pay their staff enough but yet hire people that have no experience and pay them more.
    Politics and more politics
    No communication at all within department
    Management unfair and unknowledgeable, she never follows through with any requests.
    Employees should not have to pay such high parking fees or high health premiums.

Advice to Management

Use to be a really good place to work, a place that really cared for their employees. Hopefully one day it will get back to that but I am sure not in my lifetime.

8. Student Assistant

Current Employee - Surgical Student Assistant in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Surgical Student Assistant in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Ohio State University Medical Center

Pros

Flexibility in hours and opportunities for undergraduate research. I could come in and leave whenever I want, as long as the work got done, and the doctors wanted me to do research for them. I also got paid for my research because "Analyzing Data" was in my job description.

Cons

Same work over and over again for very little pay. There was also a significant lack of leadership from the division administrator to the Division Chief, people were let go or quit, and no attempt was made to hire that position. There were also significant budget cuts to the division which led to our shredder being removed due to "budgetary constraints."

Advice to Management

First of all, get the shredder back. I left because I didn't want to put my career and reputation on the line because we couldn't shred confidential medical information as we needed. Also just to watch the culture of the division -- the people dictate the culture, and the culture of being entitled and victimized is toxic to the workplace.

9. poor management and workplace bullying allowed

Current Employee - Technician in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Technician in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Ohio State University Medical Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good benefits, learning opportunities, online medical library

Cons

poor management, small chance for advancement, no discipline for workplace bullying, raises do not go along with rising costs of economy, have to pay to park your car in order to work and it isn't cheap.

Advice to Management

Don't believe that just because someone is a manager that he/she tells the truth. I have watched my manager lie and HR believes her over the employees resulting in bullying and a few innocent employees being terminated because they stood up to her. It makes it very difficult to work in an atmosphere where an employee has no voice regardless of whatever the company says about not tolerating retaliation. Retaliation is all my current manager knows about and you guys let her do it all the time. When someone complains about workplace bullying you should take that very seriously. Instead, you blame the bully and the victim when the victim has done nothing wrong. You need to start reprimanding bullies and put a stop to it! It leads to poor job quality, dissatisfied staff, and hostile working environments.

10. Awful. HR needs immediate overhaul, bloated workforce, no career trajectory, no accountability, unprofessional staff.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Ohio State University Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great for those in a holding pattern in their careers and no desire for continuous advancement. Its like being in retirement while getting paid to do so.

Cons

Powerless managers, specially in my division. Nepotism rampant. No accountability for non-performance. Frustrating back room politics.

Advice to Management

Hold yourself accountable for your team's performance.

11. An okay place to work

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Ohio State University Medical Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good health care benefits, cheap dental and eye care.

Cons

Only 10 vacation days a year. Have to pay for parking.