Ohio State University Medical Center

Updated August 12, 2014
3.7

Ohio State University Medical Center CEO Larry Anstine
Larry Anstine

Pros
  • You would be working for the state of Ohio, so that means you would have great benefits (in 8 reviews)

• Excellent benefits, including pension, great health and dental, decent pay (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to pay for parking, and you still may have to walk a pretty far (in 3 reviews)

• No cost of living pay and will not increase pay if they can get by with it (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

57 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

My life at OHIO State Hospital

Current Employee - Pca  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Pca in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Ohio State University Medical Center for more than a year

Pros

"You would be working for the state of Ohio, so that means you would have great benefits. There is also room for growth and development. You make good money working for the state. Going back to school is always an option with tuition assistance. And your apart of the union."

Cons

" You have to pay for parking, and you still may have to walk a pretty far. There is also no set time for lunch and or 15 min breaks, so you just have to take a break whenever a patient doesn't need you."

Consider a shuttle for employees who have to walk to the pit late at night.

Excellent place for research!

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Ohio State University Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1) Diversity
    2) Quality of research
    3) Passion for research
    4) Research environment

Cons

1) Politics
    2) Rude management within the department
    3) Salary discrimination towards foreigners

1) Standardize the pay scale
    2) Encourage postdocs and junior faculty to apply for funding
    3) Create an infrastructure to make postdoc as Co-PIs on research proposals
    4) Put together a framework to evaluate the performance of the management

Opportunities to make a positive difference, but life-work balance difficult to achieve and sustain.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Columbus, OH

I worked at Ohio State University Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation and benefits are excellent. Research resources are outstanding, especially in oncology.
    Many opportunities to contribute to positive patient outcomes and to achieve measurable improvements.

Cons

Such a large system that change can be cumbersome. Very challenging to be fully accepted if not educated at OSU. New ideas not readily accepted. Defensive attitude when outcomes indicate need for improvement. Too much time spent on personal communication devices during work time at the expense of direct patient or family care. This was disappointing. Work-life balance was verbally encouraged but realistically difficult to achieve.

Recognize positive contributors. Support "grass roots efforts" to weed out those who ignore their job responsibilities. The shameless slackers demoralize and/or aggravate those who truly love patient care and are proud of what we can achieve as caregivers working together as one team.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

BRT, informatics, CCC, OSUWMC

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Ohio State University Medical Center part-time for more than a year

Pros

The campus seems to have unlimited funds, resources, space, and general opportunity to find and work with collaborators from diverse fields

Cons

Bus system is poor for getting between buildings, but the walks are generally easy and enjoyable

Excellent Place to Work

Current Employee - Clinical Nurse RN  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Clinical Nurse RN in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Ohio State University Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Benefits, Good Leadership, Opportunity for Growth

Cons

Long hours, large health system

Great environment

Current Employee - Patient Care Associate  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Patient Care Associate in Columbus, OH

Pros

I like the size of OSUMC. It provides staff with lots of resources and support through out the work day. We also have great patient to nurse ratios. Our unit is very cohesive and has great teamwork.

Cons

The nurses are unionized. I do not really know much about it, but it seems to cause some delays and is time consuming. I also know some units aren't as close or the nurses are not as happy. That may be related to their nurse managers or other factors.

Great people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Pros

The people within my department are pretty great. Everyone feels comfortable working together and plenty have stayed here for a long time.

Cons

The pay here is significantly lower compared to other hospital systems in the same area. There isn't always an abundance of opportunity for advancement.

Love the people, salary too low to stay.

Current Employee - RN Case  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - RN Case in Columbus, OH

Pros

Co-workers, patients, non-profit, generally speaking you make a difference daily in people's lives, benefits, and tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Salary too low; if you do negotiate a higher salary at hire you are basically screwed.

A good place to be a postdoc

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Columbus, OH

Pros

There are great research resources available.

Cons

As with most institutions, benefits are an issue.

Great place to start your career

Current Employee - Medical Assistant  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Ohio State University Medical Center full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of employee benefits, training/cross training, personal growth, great staff, flexible schedule, great job security, great university, office culture

Cons

lower pay, not a lot of opportunities to advance, leadership

Worked for Ohio State University Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!