Ohio State University Medical Center

Add Photos

Ohio State University Medical Center CEO Larry Anstine

Larry Anstine

55 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Opportunities to make a positive difference, but life-work balance difficult to achieve and sustain.

Registered Nurse (Former Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsCompensation and benefits are excellent. Research resources are outstanding, especially in oncology.
    Many opportunities to contribute to positive patient outcomes and to achieve measurable improvements.

ConsSuch a large system that change can be cumbersome. Very challenging to be fully accepted if not educated at OSU. New ideas not readily accepted. Defensive attitude when outcomes indicate need for improvement. Too much time spent on personal communication devices during work time at the expense of direct patient or family care. This was disappointing. Work-life balance was verbally encouraged but realistically difficult to achieve.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize positive contributors. Support "grass roots efforts" to weed out those who ignore their job responsibilities. The shameless slackers demoralize and/or aggravate those who truly love patient care and are proud of what we can achieve as caregivers working together as one team.

BRT, informatics, CCC, OSUWMC

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsThe campus seems to have unlimited funds, resources, space, and general opportunity to find and work with collaborators from diverse fields

ConsBus system is poor for getting between buildings, but the walks are generally easy and enjoyable

Excellent Place to Work

Clinical Nurse RN (Current Employee)

ProsGreat Benefits, Good Leadership, Opportunity for Growth

ConsLong hours, large health system

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great environment

Patient Care Associate (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsI like the size of OSUMC. It provides staff with lots of resources and support through out the work day. We also have great patient to nurse ratios. Our unit is very cohesive and has great teamwork.

ConsThe nurses are unionized. I do not really know much about it, but it seems to cause some delays and is time consuming. I also know some units aren't as close or the nurses are not as happy. That may be related to their nurse managers or other factors.

Love the people, salary too low to stay.

RN Case (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsCo-workers, patients, non-profit, generally speaking you make a difference daily in people's lives, benefits, and tuition reimbursement.

ConsSalary too low; if you do negotiate a higher salary at hire you are basically screwed.

Great people

Columbus, OH

ProsThe people within my department are pretty great. Everyone feels comfortable working together and plenty have stayed here for a long time.

ConsThe pay here is significantly lower compared to other hospital systems in the same area. There isn't always an abundance of opportunity for advancement.

N/A

Assistant Professor (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsThere are so many students, which means that there are so much potential for getting unpaid free volunteers. This would be good if you have tasks for them.

ConsBecause there are so many students, there are so many responsibilities for faculties to take care of them - teaching and services. However, it has been difficult for me to get skilled, smart, and responsible students who can commit to long-term works in my lab that need to high levels of technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

A good place to be a postdoc

Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsThere are great research resources available.

ConsAs with most institutions, benefits are an issue.

Great place to start your career

Medical Assistant (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsLots of employee benefits, training/cross training, personal growth, great staff, flexible schedule, great job security, great university, office culture

Conslower pay, not a lot of opportunities to advance, leadership

Average student position

Student Intern (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsPays well and looks good on your resume. People know working at the medical center is hard to get.

ConsThe admin office is pretty bad, it's practically a warehouse with cubicles. It takes a toll on your work for performance and people arent that jolly after while. Staff parking is very bad, you have to take a 15-20 minute bus ride to the office or hospital, buses are always late.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild a new admin building and fix staff parking.

Worked for Ohio State University Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ohio State University Medical Center reviews and ratings in Columbus, OH — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ohio State University Medical Center CEO Larry Anstine. All 55 reviews posted anonymously by Ohio State University Medical Center employees.