Ohio State University Medical Center

100 reviews filtered by
3.5
Ohio State University Medical Center CEO Larry Anstine
Larry Anstine

Pros
  • You would be working for the state of Ohio, so that means you would have great benefits (in 9 reviews)

• Excellent benefits, including pension, great health and dental, decent pay (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to pay for parking, and you still may have to walk a pretty far (in 3 reviews)

• No cost of living pay and will not increase pay if they can get by with it (in 2 reviews)

1. Student Nutrition Aide

Former Employee - Student Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Student Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Ohio State University Medical Center

Pros

Good pay for a student job, short shifts two days a week, and every other weekend. Always opportunities to switch schedule with people and to get more hours.

Cons

Hospitals must serve food 365 days a year, so holidays get a little tight with people wanting to go home. Also, fast turn over. Almost entirely new staff from when I started to when I finished almost a year later.

Offer longer training. When I began working, I shadowed other employees for a few weeks before having my own floor(s). By the time I left, new employees seemed to have only a few days of shadowing before going at it alone (although students and managers would still help them if they needed it).

2. I worked here while in college. I was a student account payable clerk in the accounts payable department.

I worked at Ohio State University Medical Center

Pros

There were very flexible when it came to scheduling with the students. We were able to work around our class schedules with ease.

Cons

Parking was not easy, so many of the students had to take a bus to get there. Also, there were no good food options, so we had to pack a lunch

I think that you should work to keep the students engaged, and not just have them there to sort mail.

3. Research opportunities abound

Former Employee - Research Assistant 1-B/H in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Research Assistant 1-B/H in Columbus, OH

I worked at Ohio State University Medical Center

Pros

Great benefits, location, and hours. Very stimulating, challenging environment which also offered tuition reimbursement or free classes through the university

Cons

A bit of a cutthroat environment at times - coworkers can be competitive, but that can be the case with any place of employment

My manager was fantastic so none comes to mind

5. Amazing work environment!

Former Employee - Grants Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Grants Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Ohio State University Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture that was built around the importance of education, Healthcare and community.

Cons

Room for professional growth was limited and the salary was not conducive to the cost of Columbus

Management was outstanding

6. Somewhat of a let down.

I have been working at Ohio State University Medical Center

Pros

Room for growth in certain areas, good benefits.

Cons

Poor communication methods, average salary, poor salary increases.

7. It's a job

Current Employee - Office Administrative Associate in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Office Administrative Associate in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Ohio State University Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good health insurance.
    There is no other pros for this place but since I have to write a 20 word minimum I will just say..You are better off going to Ohio Health.

Cons

They don't pay their staff enough but yet hire people that have no experience and pay them more.
    Politics and more politics
    No communication at all within department
    Management unfair and unknowledgeable, she never follows through with any requests.
    Employees should not have to pay such high parking fees or high health premiums.

Use to be a really good place to work, a place that really cared for their employees. Hopefully one day it will get back to that but I am sure not in my lifetime.

8. Excellent University!

I worked at Ohio State University Medical Center

Pros

Fair pay, great benefits great managers and training

Cons

None at all! Great employer!

nil!

9. OK, if you can tolerate bureaucracy

I worked at Ohio State University Medical Center (more than 8 years)

Pros

There's always something to work on, no shortage interesting people to interact with

Cons

The medical center is undergoing a major budget crunch, and as such, every possible penny gets pinched and dollar spent has to be justified. It took more time and energy in meetings than it would have cost to simply buy some software that would have made my life easier.

Allow your employees the freedom to make good decisions on their own. Stop chasing dollars just because they help your bottom line - really ask yourself if the new project relates to your core competencies and strengths.

10. Student Assistant

Current Employee - Surgical Student Assistant in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Surgical Student Assistant in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Ohio State University Medical Center

Pros

Flexibility in hours and opportunities for undergraduate research. I could come in and leave whenever I want, as long as the work got done, and the doctors wanted me to do research for them. I also got paid for my research because "Analyzing Data" was in my job description.

Cons

Same work over and over again for very little pay. There was also a significant lack of leadership from the division administrator to the Division Chief, people were let go or quit, and no attempt was made to hire that position. There were also significant budget cuts to the division which led to our shredder being removed due to "budgetary constraints."

First of all, get the shredder back. I left because I didn't want to put my career and reputation on the line because we couldn't shred confidential medical information as we needed. Also just to watch the culture of the division -- the people dictate the culture, and the culture of being entitled and victimized is toxic to the workplace.

11. anesthesia technician

I have been working at Ohio State University Medical Center

Pros

teaching hospital provides ample opportunity to learn

Cons

a lot of call shifts which some may find to be a con