Ohio University Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
3.9

Ohio University President Roderick J. McDavis
Roderick J. McDavis

Pros
  • Laid back and stress free work environment (in 8 reviews)

• Generally laid back working environment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of work other than teaching (in 3 reviews)

• The university is in a small town (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Was good

I have been working at Ohio University

Pros

Great community and people around you.

Cons

for the most part, many teachers did not care.

hire more people that care!

Great student opportunities, inconsistent pay

Former Employee - Student Worker
    Former Employee - Student Worker

I worked at Ohio University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked three different non work-study, campus jobs while at OU. Each job provided me invaluable experiences I would have not earned at a food service job or other general position off campus. My employers were most considerate of my school obligations.

Cons

There was inconsistency in starting salary for each position I held. Additionally, I was paid minimum wage or slightly above for work I was performing within my degree field. I sometimes felt that, although I was gaining valuable experiences, I was performing work for the university at a much lower rate than any professional would have been paid.

Pay student workers a fair rate if they are providing skilled work for the university (ex. creative or business services).

Fantastic place to work!!! They treat you like family...

Former Employee - Office Assistant  in  New Athens, OH
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in New Athens, OH

I worked at Ohio University as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere, care about you and your life. Very family oriented. Strong desire for you to succeed. They have wonderful benefits and the perks, like an almost free education for yourself or your immediate family, are amazing. This is the place to work in Athens.

Cons

Sometimes political agendas cause drama. But all in all, there isn't a whole lot that I have to complain about. There is always that one bad attitude that tries to throw a wrench in a positive atmosphere anywhere you go.

Keep up the good work!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

adjunct professor

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor  in  Athens, OH
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Athens, OH

I have been working at Ohio University part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

laid back atmosphere in a lovely old collegiate setting

Cons

small town, no shopping or good affordable housing (bloated rents on old crummy apartments)

Administration gets all the raises

Great university, be cautious of middle management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Athens, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Athens, OH

I worked at Ohio University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ohio University is a classic, iconic campus. Brick walkways, tree-lined campus, an infectious environment and great students. People who go to school at Ohio University frequently stay in the area to work or start a business. The benefits at the university are excellent, with free tuition for employees and children. They truly believe in diversity, which frankly is a bit difficult to find on campus, since there is not a great diverse employee base in SE Ohio. The student population however is very diverse and engaging.

Cons

Be very cautious about Term Class 3 employment status. These position are strict contract with no benefits - no medical and no employee protection. You are enrolled in the Ohio state retirement system, but Class 3 employees are underpaid in comparison to comparable full-time staff work. If you are promised a temporary Term 3 position with the promise of a full-time staff posting, get such agreements in writing. Don't believe verbal commitments.

Faculty is generally fantastic. The administrative side of the house is very variable. You can be in a wonderful, engaging environment with a fantastic supervisor or you can be in a manipulative pit with a supervisor who cannot be trusted. Try to find someone in your area you can talk to to find out what the environment is like before you commit.

Staff cares. Staff cares deeply about their jobs and serving the students. There are people in supervisory positions who should not be there. These people may be excellent technicians in their areas, but are horrible with the people-side of the equation. The sad, truly, truly sad part is, upper management knows who these inappropriately-placed people are, yet so far has done nothing to move the bad people out and move good people in. The result is a lot of talent flight.

Research Assistant

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Athens, OH
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Athens, OH

I have been working at Ohio University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Doing researches while you are pursuing your Ph.D degree
    Chance to join a large collaboration to get data from top facilities and gain more experience
    Good work/life balance
    Good recreational facilities
    Quiet place to concentrate on researches
    Nice people in Athens

Cons

Relatively less career opportunites, especially in the industry
    Not all faculties are active or have the expected capabilities
    A disappointing president
    Bureaucratic university management

The academics should be the primary goal of a university.

A fine first job.

Former Employee - Tour Guide  in  Athens, OH
    Former Employee - Tour Guide in Athens, OH

I worked at Ohio University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is easy to work with and befriend the other admissions employees. Athens is a lovely town, but it is somewhere you should live for four years or for your entire life. There is a lot to do in Athens, even if you are not a student.

Cons

Most of the employees are either new, young and only going to be there for a few years or are much older and have worked there for a long time. This makes for a very pronounced separation. The different departments do not speak to each other very well. Lots of bureaucracy (although that is typical in a university setting).

Provide opportunities for employees from different departments to interact in order to generate new projects/ideas or improve existing initiatives. And then, support what they come up with. Support does not necessarily need to be funding; it can simply be the removal of red tape/bureaucracy that inhibits innovation.

Awesome

I have been working at Ohio University

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, flexible scheduling, and you get to brag about being a bobcat!

Cons

Having to deal with the
    "party school" reputation.

Amazing student workplace

Former Employee - Research Assistant  in  Athens, OH
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Athens, OH

I worked at Ohio University part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very broad spectrum of work and a lot of good exposure

Cons

The position is only applicable to students

Keep up the good work!

It is a wonderful place to learn and work.

I have been working at Ohio University

Pros

The people are very friendly and there is a real dedication to teaching and learning.

Cons

The parking situation is less than ideal, but that is par for the course for any university.

Worked for Ohio University? Contribute to the Community!