Ohio University

Updated November 18, 2014
3.7

Ohio University President Roderick J. McDavis
Roderick J. McDavis

Pros
  • State benefits, work-life balance (depends on the department) (in 5 reviews)

• Generally laid back working environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Athens is a small town in Appalachia (in 5 reviews)

• A lot of work other than teaching (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Former Peer Learning Community Leader

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Athens, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Athens, OH

I have been working at Ohio University as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

A great way to earn a little extra cash on the side while providing new students with valuable review sessions and study habits.
    The professor in charge of all the Biology PLCLs was a wonderful mentor and really cared about her students and us.
    Very understanding of academic conflicts that could arise (exams, thesis, etc)

Cons

It was difficult to not feel like you were babysitting your students sometimes.
    Having to keep a huge binder and supplies for the daily activities with you at all times was obnoxious at times.

Don't hold your Leaders meetings at 5pm on a Friday.

Good people, ineffective leadership

Current Employee - Instructor in Athens, OH
    Current Employee - Instructor in Athens, OH

I have been working at Ohio University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Quality of the people, small town atmosphere, pretty campus and surrounding area. Good place to live with a family of school-aged kids.

Cons

Senior leadership does not have a strong vision for the institution, and there has been a great deal of turnover in leadership positions, particularly on the administrative side. The decentralized control (decision-making authority given to academic units) makes the institution inefficient. Interdisciplinary cooperation is challenging, and institutional support for central academic functions (teaching and learning, academic technologies, etc.) is almost nonexistent.

Continue the progress on raising faculty salaries. Make sure central administrative units are responsive to faculty needs, not just their budgets.

Good place to do research

I have been working at Ohio University

Pros

Good academic atmosphere, nice teachers and classmates. Everybody in the town seems like kind and helpful.

Cons

Sometimes the life here is kind of boring since Athens is far away from Metropolitan.

Research Assistant

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Athens, OH
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Athens, OH

I worked at Ohio University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Earn while you get a degree, easy going and great work/life balance. Great location for students with like and open minded people all around.

Cons

Career prospects are satisfactory at best. Hard to get noticed by anyone in the real world except through career fairs. Prospective employer choices are minimal and unsatisfactory.

Small, serene and academic

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Athens, OH
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Athens, OH

I worked at Ohio University as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Had a good experience working in one of the departments, great teamwork and there is a flexible schedule to accommodate students.

Cons

Very little to dislike working as a student

Excellent experience all around.

Former Employee - Aide in Athens, OH
    Former Employee - Aide in Athens, OH

I worked at Ohio University part-time

Pros

Best jobs available in Athens, Ohio.

Cons

Basically owned the city; so was able to dictate most anything.

N/A

Great town, suffers from over corporatization

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Athens, OH

I worked at Ohio University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great town, but at OU you can get lost in the mix. So if you like the town and lose your ambition, you can grow roots.

Cons

Leadership seems always to be changing, except at the highest level. If they're not careful, soon there will be more deans than full time faculty.

Think about education. Do the right thing always. Be wary of the promise of gadgets.

Was good

I have been working at Ohio University

Pros

Great community and people around you.

Cons

for the most part, many teachers did not care.

hire more people that care!

Great student opportunities, inconsistent pay

Former Employee - Student Worker
    Former Employee - Student Worker

I worked at Ohio University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked three different non work-study, campus jobs while at OU. Each job provided me invaluable experiences I would have not earned at a food service job or other general position off campus. My employers were most considerate of my school obligations.

Cons

There was inconsistency in starting salary for each position I held. Additionally, I was paid minimum wage or slightly above for work I was performing within my degree field. I sometimes felt that, although I was gaining valuable experiences, I was performing work for the university at a much lower rate than any professional would have been paid.

Pay student workers a fair rate if they are providing skilled work for the university (ex. creative or business services).

Great university, be cautious of middle management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Athens, OH

I worked at Ohio University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ohio University is a classic, iconic campus. Brick walkways, tree-lined campus, an infectious environment and great students. People who go to school at Ohio University frequently stay in the area to work or start a business. The benefits at the university are excellent, with free tuition for employees and children. They truly believe in diversity, which frankly is a bit difficult to find on campus, since there is not a great diverse employee base in SE Ohio. The student population however is very diverse and engaging.

Cons

Be very cautious about Term Class 3 employment status. These position are strict contract with no benefits - no medical and no employee protection. You are enrolled in the Ohio state retirement system, but Class 3 employees are underpaid in comparison to comparable full-time staff work. If you are promised a temporary Term 3 position with the promise of a full-time staff posting, get such agreements in writing. Don't believe verbal commitments.

Faculty is generally fantastic. The administrative side of the house is very variable. You can be in a wonderful, engaging environment with a fantastic supervisor or you can be in a manipulative pit with a supervisor who cannot be trusted. Try to find someone in your area you can talk to to find out what the environment is like before you commit.

Staff cares. Staff cares deeply about their jobs and serving the students. There are people in supervisory positions who should not be there. These people may be excellent technicians in their areas, but are horrible with the people-side of the equation. The sad, truly, truly sad part is, upper management knows who these inappropriately-placed people are, yet so far has done nothing to move the bad people out and move good people in. The result is a lot of talent flight.

Ohio University Photos