Ojai Valley Inn & Spa

Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Pete Ells

Minimum wage temporary job

Pool Server (Former Employee)

I worked at Ojai Valley Inn & Spa part-time for less than a year

ProsBeautiful location, great opportunity to receive overtime, great benefits of using hotel and restaurants if employee, valuable work experience

ConsMinimum wage job for a lot of physical work, management often micromanaged, hard work was not rewarded,

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees are more valuable to company- If your employees are not happy, then customers will not be happy.

Things don't move much besides the amount of guests between seasons.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ojai Valley Inn & Spa full-time for more than a year

ProsA great sense of being a part of a "Family". Great experience in customer service. A beautiful area to work at. And for the most part there is high job security there once you pass your 90 days, unless you do something extreme.

ConsIt can be difficult to move up the ranks if that is your goal. Employees can be cliquish, if you don't try to be part of the group you can feel isolated. When employees have a issue, management doesn't always take their issue seriously until said employee goes above the chain to whomever they report to. Rules are enforced on a pick and choose basis, and employees tend to feel neglected so they stop caring about the job and just go through the motions. Be prepared to work long and strange hours as well, more so than is typical for this industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake employee's issues seriously and work on coaching those who aren't following the rules better than just turning a blind eye to what is going on. The employees will work better if they feel like they are respected rather than ignored.

Excellent Company, best pay for a massage therapist in the county!

On-call Massage Therapist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ojai Valley Inn & Spa part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat management, equitable distribution of business, fair and regular promotion opportunities, excellent philosophy of giving back to the community and it's employees with low-income housing, donations, flexible time off, excellent benefits for 30hr/wk and up.

ConsThey have a pretty strict dress-code. You're only paid a third of what they charge for the service, which can seem unfair. The tourism business is unreliable, and when business is slow you make no money at all. If you work less than 20 massage hours a week you get no benefits at all.

Overall a great place to begin one's experience in the hospitality industry.

Server (Former Employee)

I worked at Ojai Valley Inn & Spa part-time for more than a year

ProsGood networking opportunities with guests.
Good hotel to gain experience in the 5-Diamond hospitality
Friendly employee atmosphere

ConsLow hourly wage
Many of the management were temporary with a lot of turnover, causing a lot of topsy-turvy management dilemmas.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps work on staff career development. Show them how they can move up the ladder though hard work for the resort.

Worked for Ojai Valley Inn & Spa? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ojai Valley Inn & Spa reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ojai Valley Inn & Spa CEO Pete Ells. All reviews posted anonymously by Ojai Valley Inn & Spa employees.