Ojas Wellness Center Reviews

1. Great place to work

Current Employee - FT Massage Therapist/PT Esthetician in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - FT Massage Therapist/PT Esthetician in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Ojas Wellness Center

Pros

Consistent booking, client care, beautiful treatment rooms and facilities, professional staff, great focus

Cons

None to note... I have not encountered any issues

Advice to Management

None to note.. I have not encountered any issues

Beware!

Former Employee - Massage Therapist
    Former Employee - Massage Therapist

I worked at Ojas Wellness Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Co Workers
    Clean rooms
    All supplies given to you
    That's its but I have to have a 20 word minimum.

Cons

Mgmt totally goes by favoritism, you will not get booked consistently if they don't like you, then they turn around and wonder why you can't retain clients!! No flexibility in schedule, don't try to ask off, then you have to make up a shift on their terms. I thought the negative comments were incorrect, but they are all true. The first few months they smile in your face then closer to your year with them everything changes. They want you to shove membership down people's throat, ps I have a license in massage not sales. $20/massage. First time clients 69/79 then more if they don't sign up. I guess we fund the owners trips out of the country and all the little games and stuff they play during their mgmt meetings. Please think twice before applying. You really have to drink the kool aid to be successful here.

Advice to Management

Nothing, they don't listen anyway and think it's ridiculous when you tell them an issue.

3. I am in extreme like with this place

Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Ojas Wellness Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Therapists here are awesome. They are willing to pick up a sub shift if you get sick. You get a free massage on your birthday. We don't have to buy our own gel.

Cons

My manager went to another location. She was great. I've been through my fair share of managers and this one has been the best we ever had, bring her back to Hunt Valley. Our break room is too hot. all the time, We had a fan but someone took it and now we are hot again.

Advice to Management

Give us back the fan. Managers should actually talk to us. A raise would be good.

5. Better Manager=Happy Me

Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist
    Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist

I have been working at Ojas Wellness Center

Pros

finally got a good manager that actually cares
    coworkers are awesome people
    good discount
    free massage

Cons

don't even think about a raise for 6 months
    dirty laundry container is in the break room
    not all rooms have sinks

Advice to Management

keep the good managers happy so they stay

Not the best

Current Employee - Massage Therapist
    Current Employee - Massage Therapist

I have been working at Ojas Wellness Center part-time

Pros

Good people to work with, all supplies, hydraulic tables. Good experience for new massage therapist

Cons

Pay sucks, overworked, money hungry, not understanding, ignorant management that doesn't understand why massage therapists need breaks and when we are sick you best believe you will get interrogated about why you can't work. This job gets old after about 6 months then you will see true colors.

Advice to Management

Do some serious reconstruction about how you treat your clients, and your vision.

Would not recommend

I worked at Ojas Wellness Center

Pros

Awesome co worker for the most part... That is really the only positive thing I can think of but they are asking me to write at least 20 words.

Cons

Everything seems wonderful at first until their true colors shine through. I have never walked out of a job before because I find it incredibly immature and irresponsible but I had no choice with them. I am a very patient person and they pushed me over the edge. They had me working between all three of their locations. I told them I was not making enough here and would have to find a second job or a job to replace this one. Instead of raising my pay at all (which they had never done before) they offered to allow me to work 60 hours a week instead so I would not have to find another job. I had money stolen right from my purse while I was working there and nothing was done about it but when a therapist tip was stolen a few days later they sat the whole team including me accusing everyone of taking this therapists tip... They even went as far as trying to accuse my fiancé who did not even step foot in the building that evening he only popped his head in the front door (while we were helping the therapist look for her tip) to let me know he was here to pick me up whenever I was ready. At their Mt. Washington location they had both of their full time employees quit on the same day so they sent me over there. That is the day I walked out of the company and never looked back. Just non stop drama, non stop worrying about your job because they never give you credit for anything you do only criticism.... There is so much more I could complain about but the other reviews say it perfectly.

Advice to Management

Get it together and stop putting your team. Just because you are the managers does not make you better than everyone else or smarter.

I want to WARN therapists, do not work here!

Current Employee - Massage Therapist/"Wellness Partner"
    Current Employee - Massage Therapist/"Wellness Partner"

I have been working at Ojas Wellness Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Met a handful of great, capable, and extremely intelligent and knowledgeable therapists and instructors over the years.

Cons

I'll make a list so it's easier to categorize:
    1. Micromanaging, from EVERY aspect. Both Bodyworker-wise and front desk-wise
    2. Money-hungry. Therapists get a $21 cut out of a $90 massage. Oh, and if you had a 96% retention rate and was booked 2 months out like me, you'll get a $0.50 raise! Thanks guys!
    3. Ask you to work with NO BREAK. Hey guys, that's illegal! Both as a bodyworker (working a 6-hour shift, as a DEEP tissue therapist), and working at the front desk (8+ hour shifts)
    4. Treat you like a literal child. To management, you are incapable of doing anything on your own. Forgot to refill your lotion bottle one time? Expect a meeting in the near future.
    5. In my 2+ years massaging for Ojas, I had one complaint. ONE. I was pulled in for a meeting with my manager and gave her a free massage (yes, during my completely-booked schedule), so she could assess me. Her response? WOW you're REALLY really great! Thanks?
    6. Upon sustaining a pretty serious injury, I moved from being an MT to being at the front desk. I was promised a management position before I even began training to work the desk. 10 months later, NO promotion, only empty promises. I had been running the store for them, was not being compensated, and being penalized for every tiny thing that went wrong. Yet they promote someone else to manager that has been with the company for ONE MONTH because she was drinking the kool-aid.
    11. Instead of focusing on the wellness of clientele and employees alike, they focus on stuffing their lobby with as much CRAP and cheap knick-knacks as possible.
    12. PUSHY on the membership service, the WellPass. To the point where clients complain that they don't want to be sold anything after being relaxed in their massage. Oh and by the way for you MTs, you'll be forced to sell this service, persecuted if you don't sell enough, and STILL TAKE A PAY CUT for these members who receive a massage for you. Makes so much sense, right?
    13. Beware. They will reel you in with the free yoga classes and discounts for employees, and the soft music and "friendly" faces. But this is a back-stabbing, micromanaging, awful company to work for. For my three years of loyalty to this company (not working other MT jobs like most therapists do) and working my butt off, I was rewarded with being terminated upon coming back from the first vacation I took in 2 years. Oh and when I was sick in the spring, my doctor said I needed my tonsils out, to which my manager replied "This isn't the best time". Ended up needing emergency surgery right after I got fired because I couldn't breathe. Thanks Ojas!

Advice to Management

Get your act together, and look at the bigger picture. You're so hungry for money and more clients, when you can barely keep an employee for longer than a few months. Work on keeping the awesome therapists you have, or you'll really be in trouble.

Not a good place to work long term

Former Employee - Massage Therapist in Mount Washington, MD
    Former Employee - Massage Therapist in Mount Washington, MD

I worked at Ojas Wellness Center part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hydraulic table, direct deposit, and a few good coworkers and clients.

Cons

No room for growth. High burn out rate due to being overworked and underpaid. I've worked with quite a few rude coworkers and managers that would lie and talk down to me even though I worked on more than 1000 clients in my career as a massage therapist. I've never been accused and lied on so much in my life especially over petty things. It hurt to be mistreated because I am a hard worker. I couldn't take the gossiping, meanness and the lying from the staff anymore. No amount of money is worth feeling like I'm in high school again with all the cattiness, and playing favorites.

Advice to Management

Pay your therapists 50%. Fire the gossiping, mean, stealing staff members that lie on the good employees because the clients are complaining. Some massage therapists secretly cut down their clients sessions just to leave early at night. Give breaks. FYI the 15 mins in between each session is for the clients and cleaning up between each session, not for us.

Most frustrating place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Massage Therapist in Sparks Glencoe, MD
    Current Employee - Massage Therapist in Sparks Glencoe, MD

I have been working at Ojas Wellness Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, meaning other therapists

Cons

This company is flat-out incapable of taking any kind of responsibility for their own establishment. It's confusing, sad, but mostly infuriating. I have been a VERY successful MT for years now, and I can count on one hand (not using all of the fingers, mind you) the amount of positive feedback I've received. I would need both hands and toes to count up the amount of therapists I've seen leave out of sheer frustration with the company. And I would need an entire notebook to count all of the negative feedback I've seen given to perfectly nice and capable therapists. The management works in three ways: lying, manipulating, and downright threatening. You will be asked to go WAY above and beyond what the normal MT is asked to do, ruin your body, destroy your immune system, get paid very poorly, and get told that you should be grateful that you're working at such a reputable establishment. Clients have noticed, and said reputation is going downhill fast. You can't run a business like this and expect to thrive.

Advice to Management

I would say to learn humility and how to take criticism, but I honestly feel as if it is lost on this management. Acknowledge that your employees work hard for you, especially when we have to fake an atmosphere of wellness while being treated like children and being paid mere peanuts.

It used to be better....

I have been working at Ojas Wellness Center

Pros

Coworkers are nice and mostly talented, dedicated people.

Cons

Low pay, management treats you like children, money is king, suggestions are not welcome

Advice to Management

try to remember your original vision, it's been lost.

RSS Feed </> Embed