Ojas Wellness Center

Best Company I have ever worked for

Manager (Current Employee)
Owings, MD

I have been working at Ojas Wellness Center full-time for more than a year

Proswork with great people on a daily basis, able to advance career-wise, good pay, friendly atmosphere, great discount on products and services, ability to help people every day, true concern for my well being as a person, not just an employee, rewards for a job well done. I've never worked for anyone that was concerned that I was getting time off, breaks, vacation time, time for me! Ojas does that! They want happy, healthy clients and employees!

Conscommunication is probably the one con I would have. There needs to be more in quantity and quality from managers, therapists, and desk workers. News-good or bad- can't be spread if nobody opens their mouths!

Advice to Senior ManagementStart some open forum type discussion meetings with the staff. Have some more fun parties.

Not the best

Massage Therapist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ojas Wellness Center part-time

ProsGood people to work with, all supplies, hydraulic tables. Good experience for new massage therapist

ConsPay sucks, overworked, money hungry, not understanding, ignorant management that doesn't understand why massage therapists need breaks and when we are sick you best believe you will get interrogated about why you can't work. This job gets old after about 6 months then you will see true colors.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo some serious reconstruction about how you treat your clients, and your vision.

Would not recommend

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ojas Wellness Center

ProsAwesome co worker for the most part... That is really the only positive thing I can think of but they are asking me to write at least 20 words.

ConsEverything seems wonderful at first until their true colors shine through. I have never walked out of a job before because I find it incredibly immature and irresponsible but I had no choice with them. I am a very patient person and they pushed me over the edge. They had me working between all three of their locations. I told them I was not making enough here and would have to find a second job or a job to replace this one. Instead of raising my pay at all (which they had never done before) they offered to allow me to work 60 hours a week instead so I would not have to find another job. I had money stolen right from my purse while I was working there and nothing was done about it but when a therapist tip was stolen a few days later they sat the whole team including me accusing everyone of taking this therapists tip... They even went as far as trying to accuse my fiancé who did not even step foot in the building that evening he only popped his head in the front door (while we were helping the therapist look for her tip) to let me know he was here to pick me up whenever I was ready. At their Mt. Washington location they had both of their full time employees quit on the same day so they sent me over there. That is the day I walked out of the company and never looked back. Just non stop drama, non stop worrying about your job because they never give you credit for anything you do only criticism.... There is so much more I could complain about but the other reviews say it perfectly.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together and stop putting your team. Just because you are the managers does not make you better than everyone else or smarter.

I want to WARN therapists, do not work here!

Massage Therapist/"Wellness Partner" (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ojas Wellness Center full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMet a handful of great, capable, and extremely intelligent and knowledgeable therapists and instructors over the years.

ConsI'll make a list so it's easier to categorize:
1. Micromanaging, from EVERY aspect. Both Bodyworker-wise and front desk-wise
2. Money-hungry. Therapists get a $21 cut out of a $90 massage. Oh, and if you had a 96% retention rate and was booked 2 months out like me, you'll get a $0.50 raise! Thanks guys!
3. Ask you to work with NO BREAK. Hey guys, that's illegal! Both as a bodyworker (working a 6-hour shift, as a DEEP tissue therapist), and working at the front desk (8+ hour shifts)
4. Treat you like a literal child. To management, you are incapable of doing anything on your own. Forgot to refill your lotion bottle one time? Expect a meeting in the near future.
5. In my 2+ years massaging for Ojas, I had one complaint. ONE. I was pulled in for a meeting with my manager and gave her a free massage (yes, during my completely-booked schedule), so she could assess me. Her response? WOW you're REALLY really great! Thanks?
6. Upon sustaining a pretty serious injury, I moved from being an MT to being at the front desk. I was promised a management position before I even began training to work the desk. 10 months later, NO promotion, only empty promises. I had been running the store for them, was not being compensated, and being penalized for every tiny thing that went wrong. Yet they promote someone else to manager that has been with the company for ONE MONTH because she was drinking the kool-aid.
11. Instead of focusing on the wellness of clientele and employees alike, they focus on stuffing their lobby with as much CRAP and cheap knick-knacks as possible.
12. PUSHY on the membership service, the WellPass. To the point where clients complain that they don't want to be sold anything after being relaxed in their massage. Oh and by the way for you MTs, you'll be forced to sell this service, persecuted if you don't sell enough, and STILL TAKE A PAY CUT for these members who receive a massage for you. Makes so much sense, right?
13. Beware. They will reel you in with the free yoga classes and discounts for employees, and the soft music and "friendly" faces. But this is a back-stabbing, micromanaging, awful company to work for. For my three years of loyalty to this company (not working other MT jobs like most therapists do) and working my butt off, I was rewarded with being terminated upon coming back from the first vacation I took in 2 years. Oh and when I was sick in the spring, my doctor said I needed my tonsils out, to which my manager replied "This isn't the best time". Ended up needing emergency surgery right after I got fired because I couldn't breathe. Thanks Ojas!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together, and look at the bigger picture. You're so hungry for money and more clients, when you can barely keep an employee for longer than a few months. Work on keeping the awesome therapists you have, or you'll really be in trouble.

Not a good place to work long term

Massage Therapist (Former Employee)
Mount Washington, MD

I worked at Ojas Wellness Center part-time for less than a year

ProsHydraulic table, direct deposit, and a few good coworkers and clients.

ConsNo room for growth. High burn out rate due to being overworked and underpaid. I've worked with quite a few rude coworkers and managers that would lie and talk down to me even though I worked on more than 1000 clients in my career as a massage therapist. I've never been accused and lied on so much in my life especially over petty things. It hurt to be mistreated because I am a hard worker. I couldn't take the gossiping, meanness and the lying from the staff anymore. No amount of money is worth feeling like I'm in high school again with all the cattiness, and playing favorites.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your therapists 50%. Fire the gossiping, mean, stealing staff members that lie on the good employees because the clients are complaining. Some massage therapists secretly cut down their clients sessions just to leave early at night. Give breaks. FYI the 15 mins in between each session is for the clients and cleaning up between each session, not for us.

Most frustrating place I've ever worked

Massage Therapist (Current Employee)
Sparks Glencoe, MD

I have been working at Ojas Wellness Center full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat co-workers, meaning other therapists

ConsThis company is flat-out incapable of taking any kind of responsibility for their own establishment. It's confusing, sad, but mostly infuriating. I have been a VERY successful MT for years now, and I can count on one hand (not using all of the fingers, mind you) the amount of positive feedback I've received. I would need both hands and toes to count up the amount of therapists I've seen leave out of sheer frustration with the company. And I would need an entire notebook to count all of the negative feedback I've seen given to perfectly nice and capable therapists. The management works in three ways: lying, manipulating, and downright threatening. You will be asked to go WAY above and beyond what the normal MT is asked to do, ruin your body, destroy your immune system, get paid very poorly, and get told that you should be grateful that you're working at such a reputable establishment. Clients have noticed, and said reputation is going downhill fast. You can't run a business like this and expect to thrive.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say to learn humility and how to take criticism, but I honestly feel as if it is lost on this management. Acknowledge that your employees work hard for you, especially when we have to fake an atmosphere of wellness while being treated like children and being paid mere peanuts.

It used to be better....

I have been working at Ojas Wellness Center

ProsCoworkers are nice and mostly talented, dedicated people.

ConsLow pay, management treats you like children, money is king, suggestions are not welcome

Advice to Senior Managementtry to remember your original vision, it's been lost.

Overworked, Underpaid, Under appreciated...

Licensed Massage Therapist (Former Employee)
Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at Ojas Wellness Center full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat co-workers
Soft sheets
That's pretty much... it

ConsWas fully booked because I worked hard enough to retain my clients 100%, not because they were handed to me yet I never once got any "thanks" or recognition from the owners or management during the entire year of working there. Worked so hard doing ridiculous deep tissue massages for the majority of my clients and still got the same pay as everyone else. In the end, my body hurt so much I just couldn't work there any more. Their focus is so much on the client's experience that they have lost sight of the practitioner's experience. Retail is way overpriced. The whole place is lacking in integrity and it is very disappointing that the owner is/was a massage therapist because obviously she has lost her vision to heal, or maybe never had it to begin with. It was quite disheartening to find the owners utilizing the company's money (some of which I worked my hands to the bone making for them) to purchase designer furniture and accessories for their offices (not the wellness center) and wasting time every managers meeting doing something 'fun' every meeting, playing games, making crafts...etc. Meanwhile, I'm getting only $20 an hour for giving a massage that they get a $70 cut from. So unbelievably happy to be out of there. Massage is healing work and when you're capitalizing on therapist's suffering (monetarily and physically) then you don't deserve to work in the healing industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't heal others, if you haven't healed yourself.

3 positive reviews all posted on the same day- weird?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ojas Wellness Center

ProsWell, it's a job- so that's always nice.

ConsUnrealistic expectations at extremely low salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop asking people to write these reviews to make you look better. It's obvious who is editing these. Oh and PS. The grass is greener.

Proud to work here

I have been working at Ojas Wellness Center full-time

ProsI have been with Ojas for 3 years. I started at the front desk and now am the general manager. Coming from a corporate environment, I would say we are far from it. From my date of hire until now my ideas and suggestions on how to make Ojas even better have been welcomed. We offer a discount program that helps save the clients money but also keeps our therapists booked so they can make money. Finding a company that makes sure you maintain a healthy work/life balance is very hard to come by especially when you have a child.

ConsWe are not a perfect company and as we go on we look for better ways to help take care of our employees and clients. For the duration of my employment changes have been made that make Ojas a great place to work.

We are a business that operates around making appointments and classes convenient for our guests and as such have retail hours that simply don't revolve around a 9-5 schedule. There is no changing that. Every front desk employee is asked to work one weekend day and closing shift which is clearly stated when hired.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease communication between all parts

Worked for Ojas Wellness Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ojas Wellness Center reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ojas Wellness Center CEO Kelly Wilkes. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by Ojas Wellness Center employees.