Oklahoma Department of Corrections

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014
2.4

CEO

I've worked for DOC for over 26 yrs. I've seen alot and got to do some cool stuff.

Current Employee - Correctional Security Officer in Lexington, OK

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Corrections full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is a steady paycheck, if your not into making millions. There is overtime when it is approved, and there will always be a business for it. You'll never be out of work and the annual and holidays are pretty good.

Cons

You've got to learn to use your head and not your attitude! Always be firm, but fair, consistant, and objective.

Treat your people right and be more competitive in the job market to get good people in.

Great Benefits, Competent workers are worked to death.

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Corrections (more than 8 years)

Pros

The benefit package is wonderful. Great insurance and annual leave. The retirement is great if you can make it to retirement.

Cons

If you show that you are competent, then you are worked and worked. Being short staffed has put more work on the capable. Also, with the new director coming in there are changes that hinder hiring more help or just having adequite staffing.

Need a pay package that is competitive and need to streamline the hiring process.

Department of Corrections

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

The Health and other benefits offered are really good.

Cons

The pay given to seasoned employees is not near what they are worth or could possibly get in the private sector.

Long hours, low pay

Current Employee - Correctional Security Officer in Lexington, OK

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Corrections full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

some what good benefits, until they take them away

Cons

working for doc is not worth it. you have no family time, they expect you to put your family aside while working for the department.

get new ones

Corrections Officer

Current Employee - Corrections Officer in Taft, OK
    Current Employee - Corrections Officer in Taft, OK

Pros

I would say that you get benefits that are pretty good.Such as health insurance,life insurance,and you also get a twenty year retirement if you are a Corrections Officer.This twenty year retirement is only for CO's, and other jobs that falls as hazardous duty.You do get to work with some really good officers, and staff.

Cons

The downside for me working as a Corrections Officer is the shift work.I've worked different shifts for the last elevan years.I also feel that we are underpaid compared to other Department of Corrections around the country.I get frustrated sometimes becuse I have a Bachelors Degree,and I feel that I'm underpaid.We've also lost officers due to furloughs, and budget problems..

I think the Upper Management needs to develop better ways to recruit good hardworking people.I think that they need to have better plans to increase morale around the facilities.

Beneath me.

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Corrections

Pros

I like the once a month check., The pay is better than the private side of Corrections. The benefit package is Ok and you can retire if you stay in uniform after 20. If you stay in uniform for 5 years you can transfer to a desk job and keep your 20 retirement.

Cons

There are alot bullcrap people that make decisions that effect you with zero regard to you. Someone always has to be receiving punishment for something. Everyone is on eggshells and nobody trust the others.

Make it more honorable, promote from within the prison leave probation and parole out of the prisons.

Corrections

Current Employee - Correctional Security Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Correctional Security Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Corrections

Pros

The work is steady, we will always need correctional officers, the work is not very hard, free uniforms, three weeks paid vacation per year, all holidays paid, free insurance from day 1.

Cons

It is negative work, the inmates are negative there is not respect for officers. The pay is slow, there are very few pay raises you could go 5 years with no change in salary where is the motivation? Upper management is stuck up and thinks lowly of CO's

Management needs to respect employees all of them. Open communication lines let us know of the objectives, share information so we all can make informed decisions, and provide feedback.

The ups and downs of Oklahoma DOC

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in McAlester, OK
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer in McAlester, OK

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Corrections

Pros

The benefits that are given free of charge are absolutly awesome. Depending on the size of your family, you are given an allotted amount of money to use to purchase benefits. And if you do not use it all, then you recieve what is left over on your paycheck. In my situation, my family was allotted over $1400 a month for insurance. We have an insurance package that includes medical, vision, dental, and life insurance that comes to $1300 a month. So I get free insurance plus, an extra $100 a month on my check. They also supply life insurance free as well with the option of purchasing more. And in the worse case senerio that something does go bad at work, they help support your family in monetary ways. Even on the worst days at work, the benefits make it worthwhile.

Cons

Working at a maximum security prison is a challenge. Besides the constant worry of being able to get home safely to my family, the mental strain is awful. It may not be the most physically demanding job I've had, but mentally and emotionally, it takes the cake! I just do my best and hope that when the offenders leave prison, I never see them in again. But I do know that that isn't what's most likely going to happen. So it is sad working there in a way. Always hoping for the best and that we can help them change the direction of their life, but knowing that it probably won't in most cases.

Communication is the key!

It sucks. No pay raise in seven years. Make less than $40,000/yr after 10+ years.

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Corrections full-time

Pros

Somewhat flexible work schedule...good benefits.

Cons

Poor management, upper management....did I mention the pay is absolutely terrible?

show me the money!!