Oklahoma Department of Human Services

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
2.3

CEO

Deteriorating work conditions due to lack of funding.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Human Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many dedicated coworkers, worthwhile mission, current benefits include paid dependent health insurance and a defined benefit pension system.

Cons

Ever increasing workload, low pay, no raises for most staff in last 7 1/2 years, limited chance of promotion. Legislature is now engaged in ending current pension system in favor of 401K and increasing employee cost for health insurance without much commitment to improving salaries.

Management must find a way to fund competative salaries/regular cost of living adjustments or deal with constant turnover as best staff leave for better compensated jobs. Simplify work so it can be done by inexperianced staff.

Focus on family unless it's yours

I worked at Oklahoma Department of Human Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Regular pay, decent benefits.

Cons

Horrible time requirements, unsafe working conditions, penalized for having a family.

Massive turnover will continue until professional employees are valued.

RETIRED AFTER 20 PLUS YEARS WITH OKDHS

Former Employee - Programs Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Programs Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Oklahoma Department of Human Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Mission of the Department
    Employee benefits are excellent
    Offer workshops to educate employees

Cons

I speak for the area of the Department that I worked in only. I believe in the Mission of the Department.

Poor leadership.
    No accountability.
    No workplace ethics.
    Upper management condones employee bullying. The bully is not held accountable for their actions. I truly believed (my bad) that the Department thought more of their employees well being than what I was shown in my last years with the company. There are no words to describe the lack of compassion that was offered for a peaceful workplace setting both physically and mentally.
    It does not matter if you have been employed 1 year or 24... NO Seniority.
    Workloads are either feast or famine. Very unbalanced workloads.
    No raise for a very long period of time (5-7 years).

Awareness of what is going on in the workplace among employees and to educate ALL employees on the signs of bullying and the steps to take should one witness the behavior.

Horrible Managment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Oklahoma Department of Human Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like to think that I was helping people. You have an opportunity to use creativity to problem solve for people in crisis.

Cons

I hear many things have changed, but working as a child welfare worker was one of the most challenging jobs I have had. I had expected the emotional side to be very hard, but what I found was that the petty vindictiveness of management was the hardest part of the job. My supervisor was not popular and because of that I really paid a price with harder, referrals, less support, poor mentoring/ training opportunities. My start date, my supervisor was out of the office, so I literally sat in an empty cubicle all day doing nothing. No onborading materials to read. No tasks to learn. Nothing.

No balance between work and life balance. I had to do work at home at nights, on weekends. I was on call far more frequently that I had been told I would be.

A very hostile work environment.

Pros

The only reason is to be paid.OKDHS has been sued in many times over the years for violating state and federal labor laws.

Cons

Lying to it's employees.Constant backstabbing.

Retire all state office personnel, and promote from the county level.

Work Overload

Former Employee - Social Service Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Social Service Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Oklahoma Department of Human Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, but like any family there can be squabbles. But mostly great people to work with.

Cons

While I was there, my group of 7 other workers, dwindled down to 4 and the agency still hadn't been given the okay to hire more people. Meanwhile the client applications kept coming in, and stress level escalated. Also while I was there, I was working as a Social Worker but I couldn't get a transfer approved to an HR or Accounting position (which is what my degreee was in) even after 3 years!

DHS workers get burned out quickly because of the demands of the job, shouldn't there be a couple of candidates available to jump in at all times. I mean from another department or another position?

Better than most state jobs in the same industry

Current Employee - Applications Spec IV in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Applications Spec IV in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Human Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People are nice, no ridiculous deadlines, lots of time to work on projects if changes are needed. Ample vacation and sick leave.

Cons

No cost of living raise in last 7 years, nothing. Benefit costs go up, but salary stays the same.

Glad to be gone

Former Employee - Child Welfare Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Child Welfare Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Oklahoma Department of Human Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A good first step toward counseling, private agencies, or to work at while obtaining masters. May pay for education. Good benefits-health coverage is paid for.

Cons

No communication from supervisors and higher, pretty much on your own, bad hours when called out during the night

COMMUNICATE

Don't expect anyone to ever say thank you.

Current Employee - Child Support Specialist I in Stillwater, OK
    Current Employee - Child Support Specialist I in Stillwater, OK

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Human Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

We have a great benefits allowance. You like to believe that you are helping people in some way.

Cons

The state office is constantly making changes that make it more difficult to do your job. There is so much to learn, and you will never learn it all. Just as you start to learn an aspect of your job, the procedure changes. There is almost no way that you will ever get a raise, and there are very few opportunities for advancement. You cannot make a career out of this unless you are independently wealthy or have a rich family that can support you.

The people were fun, but the organization left a lot to be desired.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purcell, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purcell, OK

I worked at Oklahoma Department of Human Services part-time (more than a year)

Pros

A lot of the people were really nice and fun to work with. Most of the workers cared about their work and had the best interest of the children in mind.

Cons

The management was almost nonexistent. The leadership was horrible and the new workers had no one to supervise them. Some workers are overworked. The division was a revolving door for workers.

Have more competent workers who understand the system better and train the county directors to understand most job that they are supervising.