Oklahoma Department of Human Services

Oklahoma Department of Human Services Reviews

Updated Apr 1, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Deteriorating work conditions due to lack of funding.

Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Human Services full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMany dedicated coworkers, worthwhile mission, current benefits include paid dependent health insurance and a defined benefit pension system.

ConsEver increasing workload, low pay, no raises for most staff in last 7 1/2 years, limited chance of promotion. Legislature is now engaged in ending current pension system in favor of 401K and increasing employee cost for health insurance without much commitment to improving salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement must find a way to fund competative salaries/regular cost of living adjustments or deal with constant turnover as best staff leave for better compensated jobs. Simplify work so it can be done by inexperianced staff.

Better than most state jobs in the same industry

Applications Spec IV (Current Employee)
Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Human Services full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPeople are nice, no ridiculous deadlines, lots of time to work on projects if changes are needed. Ample vacation and sick leave.

ConsNo cost of living raise in last 7 years, nothing. Benefit costs go up, but salary stays the same.

Glad to be gone

Child Welfare Specialist (Former Employee)
Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Oklahoma Department of Human Services full-time for more than 8 years

ProsA good first step toward counseling, private agencies, or to work at while obtaining masters. May pay for education. Good benefits-health coverage is paid for.

ConsNo communication from supervisors and higher, pretty much on your own, bad hours when called out during the night

Advice to Senior ManagementCOMMUNICATE

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't expect anyone to ever say thank you.

Child Support Specialist I (Current Employee)
Stillwater, OK

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Human Services full-time for more than a year

ProsWe have a great benefits allowance. You like to believe that you are helping people in some way.

ConsThe state office is constantly making changes that make it more difficult to do your job. There is so much to learn, and you will never learn it all. Just as you start to learn an aspect of your job, the procedure changes. There is almost no way that you will ever get a raise, and there are very few opportunities for advancement. You cannot make a career out of this unless you are independently wealthy or have a rich family that can support you.

The people were fun, but the organization left a lot to be desired.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Purcell, OK

I worked at Oklahoma Department of Human Services part-time for more than a year

ProsA lot of the people were really nice and fun to work with. Most of the workers cared about their work and had the best interest of the children in mind.

ConsThe management was almost nonexistent. The leadership was horrible and the new workers had no one to supervise them. Some workers are overworked. The division was a revolving door for workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more competent workers who understand the system better and train the county directors to understand most job that they are supervising.

Not in a million years...

Child Support Specialist I (Former Employee)

I worked at Oklahoma Department of Human Services full-time

ProsRegular paycheck and good benefits

ConsHorrible work environment. They do not encourage employee advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is the main problem

good benefits

SSS11 (Current Employee)
Oklahoma City, OK

Prosjob security with great benefits

Conshavn't had raises in past 6 yrs

Not a very good place to work - has to do more with this specific office

Child Welfare Specialist (Current Employee)
Midwest City, OK

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Human Services

ProsGreat benefits, pretty easy to get time off , three weeks of vacation and three weeks of sick pay accumulated throughout each year, people can donate sick time to one another when needed.

ConsThe environment is really mean. Instead of working as a "team" as the job description implies, it is "each person for themselves." If you are a "go-getter" you will probably stick out like a sore thumb. It is supposed to be an environment of "social workers," instead many (not all) of the co-workers are bullies, gossips, and vindictive. Very immature work environment with a high turnover rate. Low level management (the supervisor's and their supervisor's, basically the supervisor's within the county office itself) feed into and allows the ill behavior.
I have been at other county offices and they are run differently. This office is not run in a manner where everyone is treated equally. I want to go to another office asap. People are dropping like flies. I've seen great workers "chased" away from the office because of the way they are treated.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is very obvious who the "preferred" employees are. If you are not in that "group" then you are not treated with the respect that you deserve. Don't allow your employees to act like elementary school students, immature and petty. Do not talk about other employees with their co-workers. Award only good behavior. Look into "why" a person is trying to cause someone else to look bad. I have seen so many people nearly sabotaged because of jealous, vindictive co-workers! Reward those who are interested in learning and doing their job well instead of putting them down. Don't allow so much "waste" to go on during work hours. Don't "award" bad behavior, gossip, and vindictive people. Treat the employees in a fair manner without being biased. Even though this is a state job and is not dependent upon profits, run the organization with the mindset as one would for a company that is there to make profits. People complain about workloads, but honestly, it really is not bad at all. I still don't understand why people complain about not having enough time to work their caseloads. I have seem so much time wasted with people talking about nonsense. If people would use their work hours for working then a lot more productivity would occur. There also needs to be more supervision...not micro-management, but supervise. The honest people are honest....but those that are not are getting a way with a lot that they should not be getting away with!

Well, it's a job

Child Support Specialist I (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Human Services

ProsBenefits are good - easy to get time off when needed.

Conslow pay to high workload ratio

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a more uniform approach to the work cycle. No offices do anything the same, which creates serious miscommunications between works, as well as our customers.

Watch your back

Social Worker (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Human Services

ProsThe State of Oklahoma Retirement benifits and the state insurance.

ConsNo pay raises for years at a time. To many micro managers!! Most of the trainning is for the management and the in the line workers do not have a chance to attend because the seats are filled with people who don't do the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the employees the respect they deserve and provide more chances for advancement and training.

Worked for Oklahoma Department of Human Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oklahoma Department of Human Services reviews and ratings. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Oklahoma Department of Human Services employees.