Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation Reviews

Dr. Stephen Prescott

1. Good place to work

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The community is friendly not just in terms of science, but everyone in general. Everyone takes their research very seriously and is collaborative in order to move science forward. There are plenty of departmental and foundation-wide seminars/meetings that give you ample opportunity to talk to other people about anything on your mind. The Cardiovascular Biology department is great. Again, very collegial and performs cutting-edge research. Work hours depend on the particular lab, but career advice and development seem to be freely given and supported across the department (of course, unless you have a terrible work ethic or something). I could see myself working at OMRF for several more years if I didn't have to relocate because of my spouse.

Cons

It's in Oklahoma, I guess... but the city is growing and at the moment, cheaper than other parts of the country!

2. Research Asitant

Former Employee - Research Technician in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research Technician in New York, NY

I worked at Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great community, very supportive and open research environment.

Cons

In Oklahoma, so a bit hot and dry at points.

3. A loving company

Former Employee - Lab Tech in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Lab Tech in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, overall incredibly friendly with a local feel doing cutting edge scientific research. Not a basic 'plug and chug' mentallity.

Cons

Salaries are on the low side. Depending on the P.I., recognition on a paper can be scarce.

Advice to Management

Higher wages, more business trips for lab personel.

5. I learned alot about myself as well as medical research.

Former Employee - Lab Animal Care in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Lab Animal Care in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

its a detail oriented environment with a large potential to retain knowledge and move up.

Cons

There was one of my many supervisors who micro managed everything.

6. Immunology

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary is very good for postdoctoral research fellow

Cons

I have not anymore information for this.

Advice to Management

N/A

7. Great learning experience

I worked at Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation full-time

Pros

Great people and benefits and many opportunities to learn

Cons

Low pay, raises small if any

8. Great place to work! Kind people, amazing benefits

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

OMRF is a wonderful place to work. The benefits are good- nice health and dental insurance, great retirement benefits, generous sick leave, a gym right in the Tower with free personal training. The cafeteria has really ramped up its menu in the last couple years. Most PIs are kind, although they expect a lot out of you. But all in all, it's great.

Cons

Salaries are low. But this is a nonprofit in Oklahoma, so it's kind of expected. Raises are minimal.

Advice to Management

Work on improving salaries and postdoc recognition.

9. Friendly work environment, challenging projects.

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My coworkers are all very nice and helpful here. It seems like most of the people who work here really enjoy the work that they do which creates a very enjoyable atmosphere to be a part of. Also, there is an incredible diversity of nationalities and cultures here at the OMRF. My boss does not overly micromanage so I have a fair amount of freedom to take projects in a direction that I find interesting. There are also various events that are held on site such as research seminars, lunch gatherings, etc... Full benefits and insurance is also a plus.

Cons

The only real con I can think of is that research jobs are funding dependent so job security is based on the ability of my boss and/or myself to get grant funding for future projects. All research jobs have that limitation though.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The company is great.

A place to gain experience

I worked at Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation

Pros

It's a good place for postdoc, the work environment is flexible and friendly.

Cons

From my personal experience, the salary and benefits are very basic for people who do not have a MD/PhD. Even you are a graduate from the top schools, if you don't hold a doctorate, you will be treated more like a technical personnel. The benefits for you will not be same as post-docs graduated from ANY schools with/without any experience. Career ladder is lacking so is the salary raise. However if you are just looking for a job without much benefits/ladder, this might be for you.

Advice to Management

Overall is satisfactory

11. Lots of opportunity to learn and try new things. Overall an exciting place to work if you're interested in biotechnology

Current Employee - Biomedical Engineer in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Biomedical Engineer in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation

Pros

Knowledgeable and reputable faculty, great environment, plethora of resources, many learning opportunities, top notch science, excellent opportunities for graduate students. Great place to work if you're interested in biotechnology. Unique combination of scientific talent, reputation, and resources that you won't find anywhere but the coasts.

Cons

Pay is on the lower end (unless you're a member/PI), difficult to get to know people that are not in your lab/ department, Oklahoma City can be a difficult place to live if you're not used to it.

RSS Feed </> Embed