Okta

Updated December 17, 2014
4.2

Okta CEO & Co-Founder Todd McKinnon
Todd McKinnon

Great place to begin a career in technology sales.

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Okta

Pros

Intelligent, motivated, inspiring colleagues in every department and from all backgrounds. Very well rounded team of highly accomplished and experienced industry veterans, and fresh talent with little to no experience. At Okta they have a hand for picking great candidates.

Cons

Rather political culture when it comes to advancement. Performance and talent can be overseen or even ignored, but as long as you play your cards right, you will be successful at this company. Excellent Executive management and leadership, awesome perks, and transparency into every aspect of company state and development.

Amazing Company with Great Culture and Fantastic Leadership and Direction

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Okta full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive Salary
    Great Benefits
    The culture is fantastic
    Very transparent and open about direction of the company and goals
    Work from home opportunity
    Very flexible vacation policy
    Beer on tap :)

Cons

No 401k match
    Workload can get very heavy at sometimes; may have to put in an extra 5 hours a week sometimes.

Run like an enterprise company

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Okta full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great product, market leader
    - Solid executive team
    - SOMA location
    - Fast growing company
    - Solid sales
    - Highly competitive salaries
    - Smart, hard working people
    - Structured environment

Cons

- Perks are just ok. No matching for 401k
    - Too many meetings
    - Run like an old enterprise company
    - Organization is very siloed
    - Buttoned up culture

The CEO is great and really believes in a collaborative, transparent environment. However, this has not trickled down to the rest of the dept/organization. Communication between departments can be greatly improved.

Okta is Getting In Its Own Way - Uphill Battle

I have been working at Okta full-time

Pros

- Competitive Salary and Benefits
    - Great Product and dynamic leader in the Identity and Access Management space
    - Unlimited PTO (double edge sword)
    - Established leadership among VP, SVP and CEO

Cons

- Lack of trust among others
    - Lower and mid management leads with the the old, heavy handed, ‘i-am-the-boss-and-you-will-do-what-i-say’ hierarchical leadership style and rely on intimidation and excessive control to achieve results. This command and control style may get results but typically at the expense of employees losing the confidence, resentment towards leadership, and lack of employee growth.
    - Over-promised on expectation for commissions and the number of reps that hit quota
    - Skills and experience do not reflect quota attainment - sales reps that are monotone, no preso skills and can barley present to the SVP Sales are exceeding quota while others that can present, have leadership skills and can own a conversation are struggling with quota and territory
    - No discussions on career or growth opportunities within the company
    - Few women in sales

- Enable career and personal growth opportunities
    - Everyone under one roof - two separate offices is hard to build a cohesive culture for a company 350 employees
    - Need a basic core of ethics, values and culture - need to be able to trust people you hire and enable them to succeed
    - Reprimand those who cheat and lie
    - Hire quality people who have ethics and well rounded background
    - Hire manages with experience - no first time managers

Great product, great company

I have been working at Okta full-time

Pros

Very positive culture and great product.

Cons

Hyper growth mode, lots of transition.

Oct 16, 2014Recruiting at Okta

Thank you for your positive review. It certainly is an exciting time at Okta as we press forward in an effort to reach our hiring projection by the end of our fiscal year. As we scale, we will ... More

Unstable platform and terrible culture.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Okta full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free lunch 3 times a week.

Cons

I realized very quickly how terrible the culture was. The "favorites" do whatever they please, and treat others with very little respect. The trend spreads into some of the management in certain departments and it is clear that no one gives a damn if you aren't part of the "cool clique." I have heard a lot of talking behind people's backs and it is an unhealthy and negative environment. Compensation does not compare to other start-ups in the area. Parking is terrible.

Recognize the poor management that stems from the People Operations team.

Oct 16, 2014Recruiting at Okta

Thank you for your review. As we grow, we are concentrating on defining our company culture, but it is a work in progress. We encourage our employees to take part in this ongoing discussion by ... More

Fun place to work but the compensation and benefits are slipping as they approach IPO

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Okta full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Okta has hired a motivated and qualified staff. It is a fun place to work with mostly social and cooperative people. Senior management is a mixed bag but executive and engineering leadership is solid. The salary is fairly competitive but will need to be enhanced if they're going to keep the best talent. Their San Francisco offices on Brannan are nice and in a clean, pleasant area of SOMA, very close to the ball park. There are plenty of good restaurants in the area. Public transportation is nearby with Muni stops a block or two away and BART a little over a half mile down 2nd Street.

Cons

The benefits package was not competitive with what I've seen elsewhere on the market. I was surprised at how superior the benefits were at the next company I worked for, which was also a startup. While most of the staff is cooperative and friendly, there are a few prima donnas who are allowed to be less cooperative. These individuals are unpleasant to work with and are allowed to behave in this fashion because they make key contributions to the success of the company.

Don't coddle the prima donnas. Show them you value their contributions, but challenge them to be better at the things they're not very good at. If you want to preserve a productive and fun culture, you need to make sure that everyone is on board. Be generous with your equity packages if you want to obtain and retain talent. It's the best thing the company's got to offer.

Oct 16, 2014Recruiting at Okta

Thank you for your review. On an annual basis, our People Operations team leverages market data to ensure that we remain competitive in our industry and locations. We strive to provide benefits and ... More

Increasingly unstable platform resulting in worried customers coupled with worsening management culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Okta full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

First of its kind industry.
    Well-funded, good backers
    Great access to public transportation options in SF

Cons

"Unlimited PTO" policy offset by management who uses peer pressure to promulgate a 24/7 always on workforce, expectations of weekend and holiday replies to emails.

Company culture dominated (in a negative way) by cliques of employees and managers from other large enterprise tech companies. Results in lots of turf protection and favoritism.

Stop adding anxiety-inducing execs to the team; it's nurturing the wrong kind of management culture.

Todd McKinnon's philosophy about showing empathy to customers and employees isn't being supported by management's actions. Customer facing employees are increasingly expected to be apologists for consistently late feature and bug fix deliveries, and cover for engineering and infrastructure shortcomings and there's small hope of this changing.

Sep 16, 2014Lead Recruiter

Thank you for your candid feedback. A growing number of companies are implementing flexible PTO as a standard practice, and in general it works well. We encourage you to speak directly with our HR ... More

Great product, long hours and slow career growth

I have been working at Okta (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great location
    Good funding
    Smart people to work with.
    Respectable CEO with a solid vision

Cons

Small sized company with the slow career growth of a large company - be prepared to stay in the level you are hired in for a long time. Performance review process is not taken very seriously.
    Extremely frugal with bonuses/raises - Don't assume that a great funding round and great quarterly sales will reflect on your paycheck during review time.
    Culture is non-existent - come to work, deal with constant frantic pressure from management, go home and get back to work.

Sep 16, 2014Lead Recruiter

We understand that Okta is only as good as our employees – and we do our best to reward hard work. We encourage you to speak with your manager, your HR representative or any of the executive team to ... More

The best company that I have ever worked at.

Current Employee - Management in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Okta full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. Culture - One of the best cultures in the Valley. I have worked at several companies the past few years and none of them compare to Okta. The management team leads by example.
    2. Transparency - Executive Management does a great job letting the employees know the state of the business. I could not ask for more.
    3. Compensation & benefits - I came from a large company and I found that the benefits were either equal to or better at Okta.
    4. Management team - A great management team makes a big difference in job satisfaction. I think the management team is top notch. Lots of team cohesion.
    5. Growth opportunity - As the company grows so does your potential for professional growth. You are only limited by your own motivation.

Cons

Company is growing fast which may impact culture unless the right people are hired.

Keep doing what your are doing

Sep 22, 2014Lead Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback. The executive team is focused on building and supporting a positive culture that brings the team together and helps us to grow. Any suggestions you have ... More