Okta Reviews

49 reviews filtered by
3.8
Okta CEO & Co-Founder Todd McKinnon
Todd McKinnon

Great place to begin a career in technology sales.

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Okta

Pros

Intelligent, motivated, inspiring colleagues in every department and from all backgrounds. Very well rounded team of highly accomplished and experienced industry veterans, and fresh talent with little to no experience. At Okta they have a hand for picking great candidates.

Cons

Rather political culture when it comes to advancement. Performance and talent can be overseen or even ignored, but as long as you play your cards right, you will be successful at this company. Excellent Executive management and leadership, awesome perks, and transparency into every aspect of company state and development.

Mar 13, 2015Recruiting@Okta

Thank you for your review! Part of our People Commitment is to surround our employees with colleagues as talented and committed as you. We are glad this is shining through during our period of ... More

Lots of market potential, but a sexist culture and a sub-par company

I have been working at Okta full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Strong market opportunity, reliable product, good record of successful execution for many customers...but at too high a cost

Cons

Sexist male-dominated culture where women and diverse employees will frequently feel uncomfortable. "Learning as they go" management team is socially awkward and only marginally impressive in terms of vision, and apparently unwilling to really address the problems. Sales culture is the poison at the heart of the company, dominated by out-of-date attitudes where women and non-whites are second class. At the last sales kick off, I saw too many examples of senior sales leaders saying sexists things, and intimidating the few female employees with their nonsense. The sales machine seems to be stuttering, so expect that team to act out even more inappropriately under pressure. Poor pay due to delusion that they are the hottest thing out there.

Hire more women and diverse employees. Be honest with your culture problems and kill the locker room mentality. Start learning how to communicate like executives...not a bunch of potty mouthed Asperger's patients. Get realistic about paying people what they are worth.

Mar 13, 2015Recruiting@Okta

Okta is committed to building a diverse population of employees and we continue to make diversity a key priority in recruiting great talent. We also sponsor WOKTA--women of Okta--as an employee ... More

Mixed Feelings

I have been working at Okta full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- CEO and most of the executive team: Todd McKinnon is a phenomenal CEO. The rest of the executive team are highly-competent people who favor execution over wild ideas.

- People: We've done a great job adding only the best. Unfortunately, this bar has been lowered for more recent engineers. Overall, people like each other and are a joy to work with. This was not the case at Okta two years ago.

- Salary: Overall salary is a little on the low-side, but not terrible. Equity is a different story.

- Work from home Thursday: A great perk. Taking care of the kids, house-cleaning, picking up dinner, taking things to the repair shop, all of these things are made easier by this one perk. Probably my favorite policy.

- Some fantastic managers: Some teams have some great managers who do a great job.

- Your equity will be worth something one day: The company is doing great. Market leader in a field that you created.

- Interesting problems: You get ownership over large projects and drive them entirely to completion. Great learning experience.

Cons

- Executive team: The executive team has people who nitpick, have favorites, and hold grudges against people in their organization.

- Dog-eat-dog world for individual contributors: If you don't pull your own weight, you will be fired. Quickly. The stack is not the easiest stack to ramp up on, so buyer beware.

- Political world for management: There are grossly incompetent managers in engineering as well, which directly affects morale. Managers compete with each other for engineers, which means engineers can move from team to team.

- Team mobility: This means core teams that work with difficult architectural decisions or have to deal with the customers get depleted over time, resulting in sweeping reorganizations every couple of months to re-staff these teams. You never really get settled on a team before you get switched to another team.

- Empty promises: There have been several cases where teams or individuals get promised certain perks from management and never get them. It breed mis-trust in management.

- Customer-driven to a fault: Customers are the number one priority at Okta. Which is great for the customers, but engineering feels the backlash when you get dragged into complex problems by other managers, who rarely give any recognition for helping them out.

- Perks: Really not up to snuff with other companies in San Francisco. I understand that we're saving up after the series E to have extra ramp to IPO, but would it kill us to add gym membership? Or matching 401K?

- Low Equity: Compared to other similar-sized companies, Okta is very stingy with equity. I have no doubt that we are losing out on great candidates because of this.

- Training: What training?

Fire the incompetent managers. Just because we're stretched for people doesn't mean we should tolerate bad performance in middle management.
    Up the perks. I get that this is the last round, but people aren't really motivated when things are half-assed like the perks are.
    Deliver on your promises.

Ask hard/probing questions about their culture and management style in your interview. I wish I had.

I have been working at Okta full-time (less than a year)

Pros

..Okta has a very good PR machine and has benefited from their investors' savvy in this area.
    ..Their business story is good and customers are buying the message.

Cons

..Not a female friendly environment. Frat house behavior in many teams. Most every meeting has males outnumbering females at least 4 to 1. Particularly evident in Sales where every sales meeting is full of empty sports and winning analogies.
    ..Lack of professionalism, managers and executives habitually use profanity even in all hands meetings. Many think this is cool, but it's not.
    ..Absolutely no work/life balance. Great place if you have a "live to work" attitude (single, unattached, no children). Very bad place if you expect to have a life outside of work.

Why are many of your exec team former colleagues from Salesforce (beyond the co-founders)? The impression is that you don't work well/trust those outside of Salesforce and the Salesforce management culture doesn't have the best reputation. Salesforce's success doesn't mean its managers are great people managers. It certainly isn't showing at Okta.

Amazing Company with Great Culture and Fantastic Leadership and Direction

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Okta full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Competitive Salary
    Great Benefits
    The culture is fantastic
    Very transparent and open about direction of the company and goals
    Work from home opportunity
    Very flexible vacation policy
    Beer on tap :)

Cons

No 401k match
    Workload can get very heavy at sometimes; may have to put in an extra 5 hours a week sometimes.

Mar 13, 2015Recruiting@Okta

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear your positive feedback on Okta’s culture and benefits. We recognize that we are growing aggressively, and our employees are working hard. Luckily ... More

Okta is Getting In Its Own Way - Uphill Battle

I have been working at Okta full-time

Pros

- Competitive Salary and Benefits
    - Great Product and dynamic leader in the Identity and Access Management space
    - Unlimited PTO (double edge sword)
    - Established leadership among VP, SVP and CEO

Cons

- Lack of trust among others
    - Lower and mid management leads with the the old, heavy handed, ‘i-am-the-boss-and-you-will-do-what-i-say’ hierarchical leadership style and rely on intimidation and excessive control to achieve results. This command and control style may get results but typically at the expense of employees losing the confidence, resentment towards leadership, and lack of employee growth.
    - Over-promised on expectation for commissions and the number of reps that hit quota
    - Skills and experience do not reflect quota attainment - sales reps that are monotone, no preso skills and can barley present to the SVP Sales are exceeding quota while others that can present, have leadership skills and can own a conversation are struggling with quota and territory
    - No discussions on career or growth opportunities within the company
    - Few women in sales

- Enable career and personal growth opportunities
    - Everyone under one roof - two separate offices is hard to build a cohesive culture for a company 350 employees
    - Need a basic core of ethics, values and culture - need to be able to trust people you hire and enable them to succeed
    - Reprimand those who cheat and lie
    - Hire quality people who have ethics and well rounded background
    - Hire manages with experience - no first time managers

Mar 13, 2015Recruiting@Okta

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. At Okta, our people come first. If you have not had discussions with your supervisor about your career trajectory, please do so or work with our ... More

Run like an enterprise company

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Okta full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Great product, market leader
    - Solid executive team
    - SOMA location
    - Fast growing company
    - Solid sales
    - Highly competitive salaries
    - Smart, hard working people
    - Structured environment

Cons

- Perks are just ok. No matching for 401k
    - Too many meetings
    - Run like an old enterprise company
    - Organization is very siloed
    - Buttoned up culture

The CEO is great and really believes in a collaborative, transparent environment. However, this has not trickled down to the rest of the dept/organization. Communication between departments can be greatly improved.

Unstable platform and terrible culture.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Okta full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch 3 times a week.

Cons

I realized very quickly how terrible the culture was. The "favorites" do whatever they please, and treat others with very little respect. The trend spreads into some of the management in certain departments and it is clear that no one gives a damn if you aren't part of the "cool clique." I have heard a lot of talking behind people's backs and it is an unhealthy and negative environment. Compensation does not compare to other start-ups in the area. Parking is terrible.

Recognize the poor management that stems from the People Operations team.

Oct 16, 2014Recruiting at Okta

Thank you for your review. As we grow, we are concentrating on defining our company culture, but it is a work in progress. We encourage our employees to take part in this ongoing discussion by ... More

Fun place to work but the compensation and benefits are slipping as they approach IPO

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Okta full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Okta has hired a motivated and qualified staff. It is a fun place to work with mostly social and cooperative people. Senior management is a mixed bag but executive and engineering leadership is solid. The salary is fairly competitive but will need to be enhanced if they're going to keep the best talent. Their San Francisco offices on Brannan are nice and in a clean, pleasant area of SOMA, very close to the ball park. There are plenty of good restaurants in the area. Public transportation is nearby with Muni stops a block or two away and BART a little over a half mile down 2nd Street.

Cons

The benefits package was not competitive with what I've seen elsewhere on the market. I was surprised at how superior the benefits were at the next company I worked for, which was also a startup. While most of the staff is cooperative and friendly, there are a few prima donnas who are allowed to be less cooperative. These individuals are unpleasant to work with and are allowed to behave in this fashion because they make key contributions to the success of the company.

Don't coddle the prima donnas. Show them you value their contributions, but challenge them to be better at the things they're not very good at. If you want to preserve a productive and fun culture, you need to make sure that everyone is on board. Be generous with your equity packages if you want to obtain and retain talent. It's the best thing the company's got to offer.

Oct 16, 2014Recruiting at Okta

Thank you for your review. On an annual basis, our People Operations team leverages market data to ensure that we remain competitive in our industry and locations. We strive to provide benefits and ... More

11. Great product, great company

I have been working at Okta full-time

Pros

Very positive culture and great product.

Cons

Hyper growth mode, lots of transition.

Oct 16, 2014Recruiting at Okta

Thank you for your positive review. It certainly is an exciting time at Okta as we press forward in an effort to reach our hiring projection by the end of our fiscal year. As we scale, we will ... More