Okta

4.5

Todd McKinnon

Great Product, Great Company

I have been working at Okta full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not a typical startup feeling working here. Company fundamentals are solid and run like a mature corporation. Not much of a risk involved here because the product is high quality and in demand. There is a definite need in the market for this product.

Cons

They 'say' they would promote from within first whenever possible but I haven't seen much of that. Make sure you will truly enjoy the position you seek because you may be in it for a while.

I can feel the culture changing from what Todd tried to build. Happy people make happy customers and the greatest of companies. Keep the culture intact.

Great product

I have been working at Okta full-time for more than a year

Pros

Phenomenal product that is changing the industry. People working behind the product are exceptionally smart and know what they are doing.

Cons

no grasp on company culture. different departments have different ways of working - some better than others

empower employees and appreciate employees more. company is starting to become too corporate & losing it's culture because of new employees from old school companies

Great place to work, great future & technology

Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Okta full-time for less than a year

Pros

People are very focused on doing what's best for clients. The teaming and care for clients was refreshing and awesome. Great internal growth- Never been at a company so committed to hiring internally.

Cons

Very technical sale, can be challenging for folks outside the industry to come into.

Aug 26, 2014Lead Recruiter

Thank you for your response. While Okta’s cutting edge technology can sometimes pose a steep learning curve for those outside the identity management industry, we are committed to attracting and ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, great people, great culture, great customers. A+

I have been working at Okta

Pros

Market opportunity is huge. Team is world-class. Product is best in class. Customers are thrilled. The sky is the limit.

Cons

War for talent is aggressive, but we manage to hire the best and brightest. Office space crunch in SF means multiple locations.

Aug 26, 2014Lead Recruiter

The war for talent is aggressive, but because of the quality of our company, our solutions, our team and our market opportunity, we are proud of our success in attracting the best and the brightest ... More

Love it

I have been working at Okta

Pros

its very rare to find a company that truly brings out the best in you. Prior to OKTA I lacked purpose and clarity, I was in every sense of the word, just getting by. OKTA came along and now I know what it means to have passion for one's work. I probably have never worked this hard ever in my life but the funny part is that I'm truly enjoying it and want to do more.... The Pro's? everything! very lucky to be part of this company and this team

Cons

Working this hard can make life at home tricky, early calls and often working super late. Make sure the family at home is onboard, mine for example is well aware of the commitments and when the deals come through we celebrate ; )

you rock! hire more people!

Aug 26, 2014Lead Recruiter

It is exciting to be a part of a company that is transforming an industry, and we recognize that employees who are passionate about their work will often go above and beyond in their efforts for ... More

Fast paced, up to something special and a lot of fun all in one package

Current Employee - Operation  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Operation in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Okta full-time for more than a year

Pros

Okta is an exceptional place to work and grow. Whether in software engineering, customer success, professional services, sales or operations, the leadership team has successfully built a team that is highly invested in both the success of the company and the success of the people that work for them. I'm excited to get up in the morning and commute to work all the while thinking and strategizing about my day. Okta is a pioneer in IDaaS and the cloud and has attracted the attention of many. At more than 1,000 customers and growing fast, the company is clearly up to some exciting things and I'm personally humbled and proud to part of it!

Cons

Facilities continue to be a challenge, managing to fast paced growth in a market such as San Francisco is tough. The war for talent is afoot, we consistently need more of the best and the brightest. I really struggle to find significant cons, Okta has been and continues to be my number one choice.

Enable, empower and continue to support your teams. Maintain the level of open communication such as weekly all hands. As we grow, keep us together rather than in two buildings if at all possible.

Aug 26, 2014Lead Recruiter

We appreciate your candid feedback. The war for talent is aggressive, but the quality of our company and team continues to attract the best and the brightest in the industry. Employees are always ... More

Great atmosphere, great people

Current Employee - Marketing Intern  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Okta as an intern for less than a year

Pros

great atmosphere, great, young people. Exciting start up with a lot of potential to grow and make $$$

Cons

not enough open positions and some people are a little too distracted for upper management

Aug 26, 2014Lead Recruiter

We continue to grow rapidly, and have been successful in filling open positions that are supported by the business plan with strong internal and external candidates. Please alert your manager if ... More

Okta Rocks!!

I have been working at Okta full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work and an awesome opportunity to be a part of. Great team. Rapidly growing company with multiple growth opportunities.

Cons

Sometimes long hours and heavy work load. Growing pains of a small company, as processes are developed and rolled out.

Keep hiring the best people. Don't relax standards to meet hiring goals.

Aug 26, 2014Lead Recruiter

We will always maintain a high hiring bar, as we know our people are our greatest asset!

Okta is the place to be!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Okta full-time for less than a year

Pros

Okta is the greatest. We have an open work space to encourage a collaborative environment. There is a lounge on each floor with standing desks, bean bags, and sofas to change it up. We get catered lunches Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and the food is quite tasty. Happy hours every few weeks, a running group, a pickup basketball group, we have it all! Outside of the "perks" our company is build around amazing people. The executives answer any question at our weekly company-wide meeting and make time to build strong relationships with every employee from every level. Everyone who is hired here is kind and smart (and many are funny). Lots of room for growth. I could not be happier here!!!

Cons

The only con that I can really think of is that our 401K is not matched (yet). This is a perk I have not yet had at any of my jobs, and I would like to see this happen eventually here.

Keep up the great work. The people-centric culture here is what makes this company great!

Aug 26, 2014Lead Recruiter

We are delighted to hear you are happy at Okta. We do review our compensation and benefits packages annually to ensure we are competitive, and will evaluate a 401k match in our next cycle.

Fast Rising Startup Strong Leadership & Great Culture

I have been working at Okta full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Okta is a great place to see the impact you make on a daily basis.
    * Respectful & collaborative work environment.
    * Hight talent bar, so your co-workers are really good at their jobs.
    * Culture built on collaboration & mutual respect.
    * Transparency from executive leadership.
    * Opportunity for career growth.
    * Great benefits and perks! (Free lunch 3 days per week, massage, happy hours, etc.)

Cons

* A bit of a walk from BART.
    * Not much else to say here. I've been here for 3 months. The honeymoon is over and I'm still madly in love.

* Keep up the great work. You've built a top notch company and culture that employees respect and enjoy.

Aug 26, 2014Lead Recruiter

Thanks for the comments – glad you are excited! While the honeymoon might be over, we certainly look forward to many anniversaries to come!

Worked for Okta? Contribute to the Community!