Olam Reviews

Updated October 7, 2014
3.4

Sunny G. Verghese

Very Good Company

Former Employee - Finance in Chennai (India)
    Former Employee - Finance in Chennai (India)

I worked at Olam full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent company! This organisation will give very good opportunity to learn new things and all managers are friendly. Work pressure will be high on month end time and less work will be there rest of the month. Company has very good value and the comfort will not be there in any other company.

Cons

Nothing much to specify as CONS.

Managers are very good and keep up the good work.

General Manager

I worked at Olam full-time

Pros

Great learning platform. Multi functional expertise.

Cons

Weak HR processes and systems. Quest for growth has to be coupled with strong support structures.

Strengthen structures, reward stable consistent performers and NOT fly by night managers!

Operations manager for an up-country agricultural business (buying from farmers and processing in factory)

Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Olam full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Responsibility & opportunity to take ownership of a business unit or its operations as a junior manager

Cons

Lack of diversity (gender and ethnic)

Poor senior management & People skills

Current Employee - GM FINANCE in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - GM FINANCE in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Olam full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ability to survive in a company growing without structure

Cons

Poor work life balance, short sighted, too much of theory & high talk

Look for long term & not short term with focus solely at stock market!

Great Exposure but an Unstructured Environment

Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Olam full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

High Exposure to Country/Product, Tremendous learning experience Esp for Management Trainees, Responsibility, Risk Management, Localisation of Talent, Support of experience in Africa

Cons

Lack of formal training, outdated processes, scared management, lack of strategy, one-man-show, work-life balance

Clearly defined strategy permeating down to the local employees is critical for survival. Senior management needs to hedge relationships with govt factors much better. Define processes, HR, IR & functions to be straight and strict across all levels of the workforce.

Great

I worked at Olam full-time

Pros

Entreprenuerial spirit, personal growth

Cons

Youre stuck to a geography - especially if youre in Africa.

Poor PCH with poor people skills

Current Employee - Procurement Manager in Lagos (Nigeria)
    Current Employee - Procurement Manager in Lagos (Nigeria)

I have been working at Olam full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

compensation is good all things considered. the perks are quite decent. the salary is paid in a timely manner which is not true for all companies in Africa.

Cons

poor managers who are clueless on how to deal with people. they are too set in their old ways and do not want to change. they have no forward thinking. they live in the past. the turnover is shockingly high and the pch is oblivious to it.

train the managers in soft skills

Disappointing

I have been working at Olam full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pays very, Very good work life balance

Cons

Incentive don't come on time, HR and Other processes are very wak, person driven co. instead of through systems, not a very healthy employee relations

Focus on Employee Connect, Try to give incentive (which is large pie here) on time instead of delaying intentionally, develop good HR practices across co., make promotion and rating systems more transparent

It has its good points and its bad points

I have been working at Olam full-time

Pros

Keep in mind I can only speak of what went on in my business unit - I am sure other parts of the company are totally different.

The company spends a lot of money on educating its managers. I was sent overseas on a commodity training courses, they paid for a good part of my post grad education, they sent me on leadership course and paid for a VBA programming course I showed interest in.

As an up and coming trader this company is both good and bad. On the good side, they were quick to give me a prop book. I suspect this is because when I arrived at the company people knew next to nothing about option trading. I could not believe the huge positions being taken by people that did not understand non-linear risk and were getting paid a fortune. For me this was a good thing because option trading was my speciality so it was easy for me to stand out.

Cons

On the bad side, the company is not good at managing talent. For example, there are some really "average" (to put it mildly) people in some really key positions.

This frustrates the talent that has to report to these "average" managers/presidents. Further, the bonus scheme is a mess - you can do a really good job and make money but if someone else in your business unit makes huge losses then everyone suffers.

What makes this worse is that Olam does not demote or fire managers that make huge losses and they allow for all sorts of lame excuses.

I like the way the company gives room for manager to fail, nonetheless, some managers/presidents are simply not the best person for the job.

Its no good allowing a manager to fail when there is better talent in the organisation that would not have failed.

Further some people learn more quickly than others - you want your best talent and quickest learners in the senior positions.

Just because someone has had their position for a long time or has been with the company for a long time does not mean they should keep their position when there is far better talent that could be making our shareholders more money.

Remember "creating value is our business" not "letting long time employees keep their job".

Check where exactly you are going !

I have been working at Olam full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent remuneration if you are an expat, great ownership and high responsibilities given at a young age, some very smart people in the topmost management

Cons

Very little formal systems and processes, no standardization, everything depends on what your boss or Business unit is doing another Business Unit may be doing exactly the opposite at the same time, locations can be very difficult based on which country you are based out of, work profile can be a bit of a put off based on the country of operation

Please put in place some processes