Olan Mills

Updated December 16, 2014
2.2

Olan Mills Chairman and CEO Olan Mills II
Olan Mills II

Pros
  • Nice people and easy to work with (in 3 reviews)

• Good pay & benefits even for part-time employees (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • As a photographer, you do the job of three people and get paid only slightly over minimum wage (in 4 reviews)

• Trained for barely two weeks, then was asked to run a studio by myself (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

manager

Former Employee - Manager/Photographer in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Manager/Photographer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Olan Mills

Pros

good environment for work and career grow

Cons

many hours of work for a manager photographer

more days off

Church Directory Portrait Consultant

Former Employee - Portrait Consultant - Church Directory Division in Memphis, TN

I worked at Olan Mills full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good earnings opportunity, good quality products, work with a small team at each location, supervision is not overwhelming -- do a good job, get paid well. Selling to families, overall, most people are very nice and appreciative of the service offered. Pleasant atmosphere, no prospecting.

Cons

Lots of travel (which could be pro or con), sometimes work 6 days a week, often on the road, working in churches can be lovely, or sometimes a bit tough, depending on the church members.

No advice -- I worked for this company twice and would consider working for them again when I am willing to travel more.

Telemarketer

Former Employee - Telemarketer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Telemarketer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Olan Mills part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice people to work with, gave benefits to part-time employees, manager was friendly. The sales goals were reasonable. Pay was minimum wage or compensation, whichever was greater.

Cons

Telemarketing is high-pressure in general. Pay was minimum wage or compensation, whichever was greater, so pay was higher during holidays and lower in January, when not many customers are buying portrait packages.

Great company but very old technology when it comes to photography.

Former Employee - Photographer in South Mills, NC
    Former Employee - Photographer in South Mills, NC

I worked at Olan Mills full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice people and easy to work with. Loved traveling and the places that they take you. Pay is good on average as a photographer. I liked traveling to many places.

Cons

Old equipment. Large company so it hard to make any changes for anyone. Pay could be beter for sales people and for the people that have worked for them for many years. If you don't like traveling pick a studio location but it will be boring and you will get to work only with one manger.

Distrusting & Dishonest

Former Employee - Photographer in Albany, OR
    Former Employee - Photographer in Albany, OR

I worked at Olan Mills full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Learned a bit more about family portraiture

Cons

They have blanket sales goals for all studios, which comes down hard on photographers. Trained for barely two weeks, then was asked to run a studio by myself. This would have been fine with managerial oversight for a time afterward, but they came down on me really hard for not meeting sales. Was also asked top wear only long sleeve shirts due to eczema rashes. I have mixed feelings on that one

You expect too much from employees and give too little

Run awaaaaay!

Former Employee - Studio Manager in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Studio Manager in Asheville, NC

I worked at Olan Mills full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great training, lots of variety in daily tasks, generally nice people to work with, unless they're higher up the food chain.

Cons

Myself and other employees sued the company for firing pregnant women because of their pregnancy, not getting paid overtime (we're talking 80 hour work-weeks), and a variety of other issues.

Get rid of everyone who is not the Director of Photography (he's the real deal), and a studio manager or photographer. And for Pete's sake, stop working people nearly to death (literally, yes, it happened) to sell a $15 coupon that most customers think is a scam, and completely wastes the time of the photographers!

It was a very positive experience at the beginning, however it became a nightmare.

Former Employee - Photographer in Greenwood, SC
    Former Employee - Photographer in Greenwood, SC

I worked at Olan Mills part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Getting to capture those special moments with different families. Making the customers happy and knowing that you helped capture a memory for the families.

Cons

The training was so fast and i was not taught everything that I needed to know. When i asked for help in was always ignored. Then at the end i was penalized for the things that I didn't know.

Some good; some bad

Former Employee - Photographer in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Photographer in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Olan Mills full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved photographing people. The training was extensive but I heard some negative opinions about training as well.

Cons

The condition of the studio and equipment were terrible and my manager often tried not to reimburse me by failing to inform me of the process or deadlines. Or she would "forget".

This company was purchased by Lifetouch so I can't give any advice to the management team...they don't exist in the same structure and it wouldn't be fair to assume they are still working there or (if they are) that they have the same problems.

studio manager

Former Employee - Photographer and Studio Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Photographer and Studio Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Olan Mills full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

working with the public catching that smile

Cons

take your creativity for granted, no home life, minimum pay, wants you to do several jobs yet only pays for one.............

realize that we are human not machines

I manage the store from top to bottom, photography, work papers, asr and making appointments.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Taylor, MI
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Taylor, MI

I worked at Olan Mills full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with others, making people laugh and enjoying learning new things every day.

Cons

When the company was bought by life touch.

always keep an open mind.