Olathe Health System

Updated January 5, 2015
Updated January 5, 2015
3.1

Frank H. Devocelle

Small but very nice atmosphere

Former Employee - Finance
    Former Employee - Finance

I worked at Olathe Health System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

set hours, decent pay , nice atmosphere, clean welcoming campus

Cons

very mundane work spent alot of time doing repeat work

Good time to build something great

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Olathe Health System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The IT department has been through some challenging transitions, but a new CIO is providing forward-thinking leadership. It is a good time to get on board and make a transformational impact. The clinical and business departments appreciate IT, and the people are great to work with. In an organization this size you can work creatively and independently, and you can see how your efforts directly contribute to the well being of your community.

Cons

The organization is not open to working remotely. Your first day of sick time comes out of PTO each time you get sick, and new employees accrue PTO slowly.

Consider more flexible working conditions for professional IT staff.

rewarding

I have been working at Olathe Health System full-time

Pros

The staff and doctors like family. The patients and small town make my job the most rewarding.

Cons

Floating to different offices at first, but makes one more adaptable to different situations.

I love my managers so nothing.

I had a positive experience and engages in a lot of learning

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Olathe, KS

I worked at Olathe Health System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very supportive team of people- flexibile and family orientate
    recognized when members made achievements and rewarded over achievement

Cons

i have no compliants about Olathe med it was a good experience

continue supporting the employees

Great place to work

I have been working at Olathe Health System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Patient centered. Above average benefits. If you work hard, you will be successful. Very community minded. This organization is without a doubt moving forward and will survive in the new healthcare environment. Fairly conservative, but strong leadership with a strategic viewpoint. There is good relationships between the doctors and employees

Cons

at times can be somewhat slow to change

keep up the good work

Good Care, Small town attitude

Current Employee - Radiology in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Radiology in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Olathe Health System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It has a small Personal atmosphere. Managers and staff are very friendly. On a few occasions, they went out of their way to personally thank me for a task I did. Good place to coast and do your job, then go home. It's growing but it is still low key. If you are a lifer and have no plans to grow, great place.

Cons

You have little chance of moving up a ladder. Low turnover. Due to its size, there isn't much room to go anyway. The pay is on par with the pace of the hospital. Low and slow. I wanted to specialize after a year. I was told that if i cross trained in a different department, I would just take that knowledge and go to another hospital. That set the tone for me finding another hospital. The bigger ones give you the opportunity to move be cause of the turnover.

Turn over is natural. it's a fact of the current workforce. but to shoot down advanced training because you fear turnover, much less admit to it.... You are in for a world of hurt.

A lot of good, a lot of bad

I worked at Olathe Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I think that for a small hospital system, they do a pretty good job at delivering healthy outcomes. There is a true desire to continue improving some of the negatives. There IS talent here and people with great investment in the systems and policies, and even loyalty in many of the more veteran employees. The people at OMC are truly the bright side.

Cons

Poor corporate culture encompasses a deep seated, old-fashioned CEO, and long term instability at CIO. Managers are not empowered to make the right decisions but have to go through finance. Many are inexperienced and hired from outside rather than promotion from within. HR policies are bizarre and effectively encourage people to come to work when ill (!) so they don't have to use up their slowly saccumulating PTO. Several HR policies are beneficial to OMC, not the employee, which further damages the corporate culture and ability to retain talented workers. Be careful when you start -- Only accept a job in the first 6 months of the year if you expect to get a raise, a bonus, or even to get any matching dollars in your retirement account (other companies begin contributing immediately) in year 2. Otherwise you will be waiting a long tiem!

Re-visit all aspects of benefits and modify them to stay competitive and retain workers. Continue investing in technology, despite the palpable techno-fear Luddite vision coming from the top. It really is time for someone more in touch with technology to step into the top role.

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Olathe, KS

I worked at Olathe Health System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly employees and office manager, caring and helpful service. The doctors and nurses seems to work really well and seemed to care about the patients plus the nurses that assisted them.

Cons

Lower pay, benefits were not all that great, and opportunities for growth was not encouraged by management.

Be more flexible and helpful to the employees who want to better themselves. Encourage management to want to pay their employees better pay who work really hard. Give out incentives to the employee's who work hard and show a caring heart to the patients.

Nice Midwest community hospital

I have been working at Olathe Health System full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice size facility - not too big or small. Hospital partners with the community on many projects: clinical programs with local high schools/colleges, currently building a hospice house.

Cons

Pay is slightly below the area average. Have an archaic sick leave policy (instead of full PTO) that penalizes the honest employees who don't abuse it. Also, the schedule for PTO rate increases is slower than other hospital systems in the area (no increase in annual PTO for first 5 yrs of employment).

Excellent employer.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Olathe Health System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing health care teams. Great work-life balance. Always advancing and improving.

Cons

Very few cons beyond the high demand environment of health care.