Old Country Buffet

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Anthony Wedo

Looking to make the quick $

General Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGetting to know the regulars, and doing whatever it would take to make them happy!

ConsThe company is all about making the quick $! We created a real favorites menu, which was great! Unfortunately, that didn't last long...came into our fall slowdown in early September which is normal. Company decided the best way to save $ was to cut back the menu offerings. You know what, they were right, we did save the $ that they wanted! They also proved to the guests that they served that they don't care about them. Bottom line is this is a business, and the goal is to make money, but what they are doing is not going to build the business! People come to your establishment with an expectation, and if they don't get what they pay for, they won't be back!! You can't raise your prices and give more to offer, and then take it away because it costs too much (bait and switch)!

Advice to Senior ManagementOne of Buffets Inc. "Core Values" is do what you say! They said we are going to offer the Real Favorites Menu, and we are not going to change the menu just because it cost too much. That was my breaking point, because that is exactly what happened!! Out the door...do what YOU say you are going to do. Nice to see Wedo's sob story on Undercover boss, unfortunately it isn't anything that the typical restaurant goes through every day!!

Terrible

Line Cook (Current Employee) North Dartmouth, MA

ProsEmployee Discount, Customers, Social style, experience.

ConsHours, Treatment, hard work, lots of quiet negativity amongst coworkers

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganize yourselves better!

Ghetto

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEat as much buffet food during your break...

ConsCheap workers
    Untrustworthy - The other employees took things from my backpack... I told management and nothing was done to salvage my belongings
    Degrading work

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being such arrogant pricks. Treat everyone the same.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nothing special

Line Attendant (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible scheduling, get along with other people, and the work itself is generally pretty easy. Although repetitive, the work keeps you busy for your entire shift.

ConsRaises got frozen, so I am stuck at just $8.25/hour. In order to keep turnover rates down, new hires are paid more than people who actually put up with a consistently stressful environment. This creates an obvious dissatisfaction knowing you work harder than other people for less money. Corporate also changes lots of minute things that it makes everything seem erroneous. Labor cuts also mean fewer people per shift, leading to more customer dissatisfaction because there is no help.

Advice to Senior ManagementEarn the trust of the people below you. For a company that's gone bankrupt multiple times in the past few years, it's hard for anybody to take you seriously.

The most degrading place to work.

Liner Server (Current Employee) Clarence, NY

ProsThey give you days off if you request it.

ConsCustomers can be very ignorant and yell at you. One of the managers can be very rude and treat you like garbage.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe kinder

very good place to work

Manager (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

Prosgreat offerings and very friendly employees

Consopen too many holidays and too many hours

Advice to Senior Managementnot so hands on

Bad

Baker (Former Employee) Clarence, NY

ProsCo-workers and managers were pretty nice

ConsAfter working for about a month, never received a check because I didn't ask for it, was the only person in the bakery, even though I was new and didn't get trained on everything so I messed up on some desserts. Was expected to get EVERYTHING done and be a pro at it (again I was new and was thrown in there). I was going to school also but I had to get everything done so I would sometimes stay after an extra 2 or 3 hours missing school.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to train

Very Challenging

Kitchen Manager (Former Employee)

ProsVery good food, close by 8:30 most nights. Regular guests are great to see and talk with.

Cons53+ hour workweeks, huge turnover, which makes training an ongoing process and makes it seem like you're never getting ahead. Opening shifts were good overall, as long as I was able to leave by my scheduled time. Don't expect any kind of work/life balance, I was essentially told that the job had to come before my family, which is when I knew I had to leave. Then there's the labor hours. Very hard to actually manage the restaurant when you have to be running positions due to labor cuts. There's a reason this company has filed bankruptcy twice in 4 years.....

Well, they took me to court based solely on conjecture

Management Trainee (Current Employee) Burnsville, MN

ProsIf you need to make a living and you have no other options for some reason, AND your suicide attempts don't work out, then you may be able to earn a couple hundred from them. It still won't be nearly enough to hire an attorney once they cut your hours to 0 and then they're attacking you in court. But as another pro, you learn a lot about how to represent yourself and cross-examine, especially when their claims are based on NO evidence or facts, just their conjecture over things that have nothing to do with your actual job. And don't worry, a quick run through the Phoenix Wright games will give you all it takes to beat them mercilessly in court, it's not really hard. And I am speaking entirely on experience, in case the seething contempt was a bit too subtle.

ConsWas hired to be a management trainee, but I was technically hired as a line attendant. I was shown how to fill salad. I was told no less than 7 times at my interview to always be asking to learn more and to ask for more responsibility, and I did, and I was then criticized for being impatient or wanting to rush things. I never fully learned the line attendant job, but received no feedback on anything I may have been doing right or wrong. I received a lot of attitude from management and staff alike, going as far as to scream at me when I couldn't make out someone's accent. I was sat down IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DINING ROOM and told I wasn't "supervisor material" based on a man claiming his 15 + years of experience enabled him to just know these things. When asked for specifics, there was no response. Just that I looked unhappy. No reasons as to what I was so bad at, and this was after only 4 shifts. They were trying t coerce me into leaving. They were unprepared to answer any questions or to handle it when I didn't leave. They slashed my hours in half. I called HR but they didn't want to do anything. I had a weekend off that had been approved since the time of my interview. When I came back, I was never put on the schedule again. I asked all the managers about it but no one had any words as a response. So I assumed that was it. I told MN Unemployment (I had been initially eligible from a previous job) that they had laid me off, and OCB disputed this saying I abandoned the job (even though I wasn't scheduled for any hours). MN Unemployment investigated the issue, and twice OCB ignored their questions. Unemployment ruled I would remain eligible. OCB appealed the decision of the investigation they initiated and didn't comply with. So there was a court hearing with the manager, a judge, and me. The manager still had no facts, no specific feedback, and no evidence of anything. The verdict I received was in my favor and spelled out that the manager's testimony was "not credible and illogical". I tried to follow up with HR and corporate management, but they don't seem to care. They at least did not appeal any further.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn the very basics of performance management, don't instigate investigations that you won't actually comply with only to appeal the decision. Leave the court room to competent people. You are VERY fortunate that the restaurant doesn't implode.

Awesome.

Line Server (Former Employee) Racine, WI

ProsThe other workers were very nice, everyone was friendly.

ConsI can't really think of anything bad.

Worked for Old Country Buffet? Contribute to the Community!