Old Country Buffet

Never Again

Current Employee - Line Cook  in  Kennewick, WA
    Current Employee - Line Cook in Kennewick, WA

I have been working at Old Country Buffet part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice front co - workers
    Some friendly managers

Cons

Doesn't follow the schedule - make you stay overtime all the time
    Cares about looks too much - Fat girls / guys in back, Thin girls in front REGARDLESS of experiences. I have 5+ years waitress experiences, they hired me for kitchen work, which I have no experience in. While they put a new high school girl as a waitress.
    Customers first, Employee Last - That is seriously their motto.
    Poor communication between management
    Some managers are too shy - 4 managers total, all 3 of them would say "I don't know ask the other manager." Even the General manager would say that.
    Poor Training - Very Very poor training. Had to learn it myself
    Bad Hours - Just like the first con, gives you low hours then expects you to stay overtime
    No appreciation - Stayed 5+ hours, no one even said thank you

Work on the "Customers first, Employee Last." Figure out how to do the schedule and don't assume everyone can stay overtime every single shift. Don't do poor training then yell at them for not knowing.

Looking to make the quick $

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Old Country Buffet full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Getting to know the regulars, and doing whatever it would take to make them happy!

Cons

The company is all about making the quick $! We created a real favorites menu, which was great! Unfortunately, that didn't last long...came into our fall slowdown in early September which is normal. Company decided the best way to save $ was to cut back the menu offerings. You know what, they were right, we did save the $ that they wanted! They also proved to the guests that they served that they don't care about them. Bottom line is this is a business, and the goal is to make money, but what they are doing is not going to build the business! People come to your establishment with an expectation, and if they don't get what they pay for, they won't be back!! You can't raise your prices and give more to offer, and then take it away because it costs too much (bait and switch)!

One of Buffets Inc. "Core Values" is do what you say! They said we are going to offer the Real Favorites Menu, and we are not going to change the menu just because it cost too much. That was my breaking point, because that is exactly what happened!! Out the door...do what YOU say you are going to do. Nice to see Wedo's sob story on Undercover boss, unfortunately it isn't anything that the typical restaurant goes through every day!!

Terrible

Current Employee - Line Cook  in  North Dartmouth, MA
    Current Employee - Line Cook in North Dartmouth, MA

I have been working at Old Country Buffet part-time for less than a year

Pros

Employee Discount, Customers, Social style, experience.

Cons

Hours, Treatment, hard work, lots of quiet negativity amongst coworkers

Organize yourselves better!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ghetto

I worked at Old Country Buffet as an intern

Pros

Eat as much buffet food during your break...

Cons

Cheap workers
    Untrustworthy - The other employees took things from my backpack... I told management and nothing was done to salvage my belongings
    Degrading work

Stop being such arrogant pricks. Treat everyone the same.

The most degrading place to work.

Current Employee - Liner Server  in  Clarence, NY
    Current Employee - Liner Server in Clarence, NY

I have been working at Old Country Buffet part-time for more than a year

Pros

They give you days off if you request it.

Cons

Customers can be very ignorant and yell at you. One of the managers can be very rude and treat you like garbage.

Be kinder

Nothing special

Current Employee - Line Attendant
    Current Employee - Line Attendant

I have been working at Old Country Buffet part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible scheduling, get along with other people, and the work itself is generally pretty easy. Although repetitive, the work keeps you busy for your entire shift.

Cons

Raises got frozen, so I am stuck at just $8.25/hour. In order to keep turnover rates down, new hires are paid more than people who actually put up with a consistently stressful environment. This creates an obvious dissatisfaction knowing you work harder than other people for less money. Corporate also changes lots of minute things that it makes everything seem erroneous. Labor cuts also mean fewer people per shift, leading to more customer dissatisfaction because there is no help.

Earn the trust of the people below you. For a company that's gone bankrupt multiple times in the past few years, it's hard for anybody to take you seriously.

very good place to work

Former Employee - Manager  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Old Country Buffet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great offerings and very friendly employees

Cons

open too many holidays and too many hours

not so hands on

Bad

Former Employee - Baker  in  Clarence, NY
    Former Employee - Baker in Clarence, NY

I worked at Old Country Buffet part-time for less than a year

Pros

Co-workers and managers were pretty nice

Cons

After working for about a month, never received a check because I didn't ask for it, was the only person in the bakery, even though I was new and didn't get trained on everything so I messed up on some desserts. Was expected to get EVERYTHING done and be a pro at it (again I was new and was thrown in there). I was going to school also but I had to get everything done so I would sometimes stay after an extra 2 or 3 hours missing school.

Learn how to train

Very Challenging

Former Employee - Kitchen Manager
    Former Employee - Kitchen Manager

I worked at Old Country Buffet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good food, close by 8:30 most nights. Regular guests are great to see and talk with.

Cons

53+ hour workweeks, huge turnover, which makes training an ongoing process and makes it seem like you're never getting ahead. Opening shifts were good overall, as long as I was able to leave by my scheduled time. Don't expect any kind of work/life balance, I was essentially told that the job had to come before my family, which is when I knew I had to leave. Then there's the labor hours. Very hard to actually manage the restaurant when you have to be running positions due to labor cuts. There's a reason this company has filed bankruptcy twice in 4 years.....

Well, they took me to court based solely on conjecture

Current Employee - Management Trainee  in  Burnsville, MN
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Burnsville, MN

I have been working at Old Country Buffet part-time for more than a year

Pros

If you need to make a living and you have no other options for some reason, AND your suicide attempts don't work out, then you may be able to earn a couple hundred from them. It still won't be nearly enough to hire an attorney once they cut your hours to 0 and then they're attacking you in court. But as another pro, you learn a lot about how to represent yourself and cross-examine, especially when their claims are based on NO evidence or facts, just their conjecture over things that have nothing to do with your actual job. And don't worry, a quick run through the Phoenix Wright games will give you all it takes to beat them mercilessly in court, it's not really hard. And I am speaking entirely on experience, in case the seething contempt was a bit too subtle.

Cons

Was hired to be a management trainee, but I was technically hired as a line attendant. I was shown how to fill salad. I was told no less than 7 times at my interview to always be asking to learn more and to ask for more responsibility, and I did, and I was then criticized for being impatient or wanting to rush things. I never fully learned the line attendant job, but received no feedback on anything I may have been doing right or wrong. I received a lot of attitude from management and staff alike, going as far as to scream at me when I couldn't make out someone's accent. I was sat down IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DINING ROOM and told I wasn't "supervisor material" based on a man claiming his 15 + years of experience enabled him to just know these things. When asked for specifics, there was no response. Just that I looked unhappy. No reasons as to what I was so bad at, and this was after only 4 shifts. They were trying t coerce me into leaving. They were unprepared to answer any questions or to handle it when I didn't leave. They slashed my hours in half. I called HR but they didn't want to do anything. I had a weekend off that had been approved since the time of my interview. When I came back, I was never put on the schedule again. I asked all the managers about it but no one had any words as a response. So I assumed that was it. I told MN Unemployment (I had been initially eligible from a previous job) that they had laid me off, and OCB disputed this saying I abandoned the job (even though I wasn't scheduled for any hours). MN Unemployment investigated the issue, and twice OCB ignored their questions. Unemployment ruled I would remain eligible. OCB appealed the decision of the investigation they initiated and didn't comply with. So there was a court hearing with the manager, a judge, and me. The manager still had no facts, no specific feedback, and no evidence of anything. The verdict I received was in my favor and spelled out that the manager's testimony was "not credible and illogical". I tried to follow up with HR and corporate management, but they don't seem to care. They at least did not appeal any further.

Learn the very basics of performance management, don't instigate investigations that you won't actually comply with only to appeal the decision. Leave the court room to competent people. You are VERY fortunate that the restaurant doesn't implode.

Worked for Old Country Buffet? Contribute to the Community!