Old Dominion Freight

www.odfl.com

Old Dominion Freight Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
Old Dominion Freight – Irvine – “On the dock”

Old Dominion Freight President, CEO, and Director David S. Congdon

David S. Congdon

Pros
  • Good pay with no higher education requirements(in 9 reviews)

• Great pay good home time good management(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Often work close to 55-60 hours a week with no overtime pay(in 5 reviews)

• no over time paid till after 60 hours, old rail road act(in 4 reviews)

fantastic

Customer Service (Former Employee) Memphis, TN

Proswonderful company, career driven, top of the line, promote within the company, pay is within standards of industry. I enjoyed working for the company very much.

ConsSome of the management need to remember where they started in the company. Remember the company's family values.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair in stipulations that are put on the terminals

Unfair place to work.

Driver (Former Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsDescent wage comparable to companies in area.

ConsNo overtime, benefits are sub standard, and theres no retirement the 401k match is a joke for someone thats not upper management. The Dayton terminal you get ahead buy how well your liked in the office, not buy hard work. Ive seen people fired here because they speak there mind because most people there walk around on egg shells and afraid to say anything for fear of being fired. They have an open door policy that means you can speak your mind behind closed doors, but you better agree with what management there says or you will be on the outside looking in.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of bragging about your low operating ratios caused buy no overtime, benifits or retirement, Giving a few of these things to employees will keep the better ones instead of constant turn over that Ive seen.

Used to be a great company

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay, good benefits,some great people

ConsToo many unqualified people in management positions. Good ol' boys attitude. Unequal treatment of employees

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen John Yowell was still with us we had a family atmosphere. It is now a company that has a false appearance of "family". Get back to the good old days where your employees mattered not simply a number.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I been working there for 12 years. Title Dock Worker

Dockworker (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsI making more money then I ever had in my whole life. Good Health insurance.

ConsThe Good Ole Boy Buddy system they got at Old Dominion sucks. They definely put personalities before principles. And is definetly not what you know but who you know. Bully Bosses who love to abused their authority .

Advice to Senior ManagementYour idea of being part of the O.D. family is a big joke. You need to make some surprised visits at the Dallas terminal without management knowing about it . You might be in for a rude awakening.

Just another company that preaches keeping promises and then doesn't themselves

ProsGreat people management was horrible it was you are as good as your last mistake

Conslong days and never good enough

Pretty good company as long as you adhere to antiquated policies

Developer (Former Employee)

ProsWorked in IT. Majority of the employees are friendly and easy to have a conversation with. Allowed to work on a project autonomously.

ConsArbitrary employee review. Good ol' boy values and policies are too antiquated for my taste. Don't like spending extra money for employee perks.

Advice to Senior ManagementLose the antiquated policies. Take more interest into what your employees are requesting.

Well worth the time invested.

Linehaul Driver (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsExcellent pay, competitive benefits, great equipment, friendly atmosphere. The company also tries to stay ahead of the curve when it comes to technology to help improve both service to the customer and the employee's ability to do his/her job.

ConsNothing more than you would have in any work environment and certainly nothing on a company wide level. The only personal complaint I would have is the very low turn-over rate which makes moving up the seniority list kind of slow. But that's due to the aforementioned "Pros".

Ten years wasted

P&D Driver At Old Dominion Freight Line (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsIts a job if your in desperate need of one. The pay is reasonably comparable to industry standards once you've attained your 3 year mark. Below average until that time.

ConsMandated 12-14 hours a day, No overtime, No advancement, No work/ home balance, very poor employee relations, management, from executive to local, has a "do it or else" attitude towards all employees. I worked for OD for over 10 years. Have 23+ years experience in the industry in all areas except upper management. When health concerns (caused from the job) made it almost impossible to continue driving, I was told that no other jobs or advancement into another position was available. Even though 2 dock positions and 2 city dispatch positions were open.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou claim the OD is a "family" company. Please act like it then. Stop treating your employees like equipment to be used then discarded. Invest in your current employees advancement. Abandon the "good old boy" attitude. Above all please stop stepping on your employees just to make a buck. After all your employees are the ones who did the work to make OD an industry leader.

Roller Coaster Ride

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsGood pay, 401 k , good insurance.

ConsLack of communication. Managment listens but doesn't react to problems, strange hours, family life non existent due to the hours. Always feeling like your walking on egg shells.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees more, give praise more often than you do.

operations

ProsGood benefits, good pay. Lots of technology. company is always investing money in new equipment and keeping existing equipment repaired.

Conspoor treatment from management, no communication, management expects you to read their minds. Little to no chance in advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need to get back to what got us the this point.

Worked for Old Dominion Freight? Contribute to the Community!