Old Dominion Freight
www.odfl.com Thomasville, NC 5000+ Employees

Old Dominion Freight Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014
Old Dominion Freight – Irvine – “On the dock”

Old Dominion Freight President, CEO, and Director David S. Congdon

David S. Congdon

Pros:
  • "Good pay with no higher education requirements"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Great pay good home time good management"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "no over time paid till after 60 hours, old rail road act"
    in 4 reviews
  • "No overtime, benefits are sub standard, and theres no retirement the 401k match is a joke for someone thats not upper management"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Team Driver

Linehaul Driver (Current Employee)
    Tomah, WI

ProsGreat pay good home time good management

ConsNot enough vacation and personal time

Disappointed

ProsCompany is currently on sound financial footing.

ConsNo work-life balance, it's mostly work work work. No innovation to handle peak freight cycles. No overtime until sixty hours, line-haul drivers aren't compensated for hours of wait time, breakdown pay is virtually nonexistent. Managers/dispatchers/coordinators are not held accountable for anything. No "blanket" company policy, local management makes its rules as it goes. Company fosters a spiteful nature and seems to be ran by a bunch of amateurs

Cool

ProsThey send you out and the check clears

Consit is tiring being a driver

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good pay...okay management

ProsPay is awesome, benefits are decent. If you need something, they get it done for you

ConsManagement...nepitism. Not a lot of room for growth. Nothing very bad, just your normal corporate politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementLevel the playing field, don't favor some and not others

frustrating

Dock Supervisor/Local Dispatch/Linehaul Dispatch (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

Prosbenefits, paycheck, employment, and chance to look for better oppertunities

Consoverall disappointed in experience and stressful with no direction

Pleasant and challenging. Good benefits.

Worker (Former Employee)
    Sioux Falls, SD

ProsA fair wage can be earned with Old Dominion Freight with opportunity to advance your career in an open-door environment.

ConsNo Cons for the company in general. Did not agree with certain perspectives and practices of management at the particular location I was employed, though the company as a whole is a great place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open-minded and engaged with the employees. Hold regular meetings for review over general and specific matters allowing a deeper relationship and opportunity to exchange ideas, goals and growth for both the employee and management.

Okay so far..

Dockworker/Forklift Operator (Current Employee)

ProsMy coworkers and I are all extremely close. The communication and help we give each other is great. I also like how the drivers are extremely nice to us and friends with many of us. My manager is extremely nice and tries to take care of all of us as if we are family.

ConsOutdated. Everything is either dirty or broken. It is a problem. I have only been working there for a few weeks but when I started working there I was forced to watch hours of training videos. Once I actually started driving and packing freight, every rule has been broken right before me and I've even been trained to do just that.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up and spend some money on new equipment!

Disheartening betrayal at the end...

P&D Driver At Old Dominion Freight Line (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsGreat pay and decent equipment to drive...

ConsManagement at the Portland terminal needs an overhaul.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to be more understanding and forgiving as it is not your tail on the line out in the field, everybody has problems so learning to cope with each individual on a personal level would be more effective than blacklisting a 14 year veteran driver with a spotless record.

Stressful Drudgery for Social Outcasts

Data Entry Specialist (Current Employee)
    Thomasville, NC

ProsGood pay with no higher education requirements.
    Strange working hours might be a good shift for some.
    Great for those who fear social interactions as talking to coworkers during work hours is prohibited.
    Other departments are supposedly better, but generally a minimum of a year to transfer and often take a pay cut.

ConsNever know how long you will have to work until just before the end of your regular shift. OT is mandatory and some weeks you will work 50+ hours, others 36.
    Obvious favoritism by management
    Worst training program, period. You must learn by doing and there is a lot of pressure to pick it up fast. Your pay is extremely low the first six months.
    Constantly changing rules that you must keep up with because if you don't do everything exactly according to them you are fired or your pay is cut because salary is based on accuracy and speed.
    Carpel Tunnel Syndrome is a given if you stay in this position.
    You are chained to your desk for however long your shift is for the night.
    UHC healthcare is only option and they are terrible. They will run you and your docs around in circles to avoid paying anything.
    HR is clueless. They never seem to get the paperwork done for hiring process in a timely manner and some of the questions, especially about your health history, may have been illegal.
    Working hours are hard to adjust to because it isn't 2nd or 3rd shift; it is 2.5. OT and lack of sleep can be stressful for you and anyone you live with.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't talk down to employees. I was treated with more respect at my first job in fast food at 16.
    Managers must know what is going on and be able to make decisions, not ask the assistant.
    They should also be able to answer a direct yes or no question.
    Make it clear to new hires just how long it will take to get that big salary that is promised.
    HR is not helpful, especially to those working nights. Get them some additional training and don't have people that are servicing employees that work 24/7 all working 8-5 with lunch from 12-1. Saying email or voice mail is good for communication would be nice if they answered them. It is ridiculous to expect 65+ people to communicate their personal information through an intermediate manager who works partially during the day and can thus face to face with them and as a manager carries the weight to have someone answer a question.
    Get some other options than United Health Care.
    Completely overhaul your IT department and how the system is set up for data entry. This new upgrade in the development stage is a Band-Aid on an arterial gusher. The system is very inefficient and completely backwards in that data entry makes do within the constraints of the system. The end user should dictate what the system can do. The current platform is 20+ years old--that is a dinosaur for any type of technology. Compare the salary of someone in IT with the salary of a high end data entry person. That one IT person can program something that will make at least 75% of data entry department unnecessary.
    Do you realize other departments call data entry "boot camp?" Have you wondered why they do? Why do so many of the promising employees start interviewing to transfer as soon as they can? Do you really believe the high turnover rate is simply because of the shift we work?

Scheduler of all Freight Shipments

Scheduler (Former Employee)
    Eighty Four, PA

ProsStart at 8am, work until 5pm

ConsTruck Driver atmosphere, foul language

Advice to Senior ManagementSay Good Morning!

Worked for Old Dominion Freight? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Old Dominion Freight reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Old Dominion Freight CEO David S. Congdon. All 60 reviews posted anonymously by Old Dominion Freight employees.