Old Dominion Freight
www.odfl.com Thomasville, NC 5000+ Employees

Old Dominion Freight Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014
Old Dominion Freight – Irvine – “On the dock”

Old Dominion Freight President, CEO, and Director David S. Congdon

David S. Congdon

Pros:
  • "Good pay with no higher education requirements"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Great pay and decent equipment to drive"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "no over time paid till after 60 hours, old rail road act"
    in 4 reviews
  • "No overtime, benefits are sub standard, and theres no retirement the 401k match is a joke for someone thats not upper management"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Stressful Drudgery for Social Outcasts

Data Entry Specialist (Current Employee)
Thomasville, NC

I have been working at Old Dominion Freight full-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay with no higher education requirements.
Strange working hours might be a good shift for some.
Great for those who fear social interactions as talking to coworkers during work hours is prohibited.
Other departments are supposedly better, but generally a minimum of a year to transfer and often take a pay cut.

ConsNever know how long you will have to work until just before the end of your regular shift. OT is mandatory and some weeks you will work 50+ hours, others 36.
Obvious favoritism by management
Worst training program, period. You must learn by doing and there is a lot of pressure to pick it up fast. Your pay is extremely low the first six months.
Constantly changing rules that you must keep up with because if you don't do everything exactly according to them you are fired or your pay is cut because salary is based on accuracy and speed.
Carpel Tunnel Syndrome is a given if you stay in this position.
You are chained to your desk for however long your shift is for the night.
UHC healthcare is only option and they are terrible. They will run you and your docs around in circles to avoid paying anything.
HR is clueless. They never seem to get the paperwork done for hiring process in a timely manner and some of the questions, especially about your health history, may have been illegal.
Working hours are hard to adjust to because it isn't 2nd or 3rd shift; it is 2.5. OT and lack of sleep can be stressful for you and anyone you live with.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't talk down to employees. I was treated with more respect at my first job in fast food at 16.
Managers must know what is going on and be able to make decisions, not ask the assistant.
They should also be able to answer a direct yes or no question.
Make it clear to new hires just how long it will take to get that big salary that is promised.
HR is not helpful, especially to those working nights. Get them some additional training and don't have people that are servicing employees that work 24/7 all working 8-5 with lunch from 12-1. Saying email or voice mail is good for communication would be nice if they answered them. It is ridiculous to expect 65+ people to communicate their personal information through an intermediate manager who works partially during the day and can thus face to face with them and as a manager carries the weight to have someone answer a question.
Get some other options than United Health Care.
Completely overhaul your IT department and how the system is set up for data entry. This new upgrade in the development stage is a Band-Aid on an arterial gusher. The system is very inefficient and completely backwards in that data entry makes do within the constraints of the system. The end user should dictate what the system can do. The current platform is 20+ years old--that is a dinosaur for any type of technology. Compare the salary of someone in IT with the salary of a high end data entry person. That one IT person can program something that will make at least 75% of data entry department unnecessary.
Do you realize other departments call data entry "boot camp?" Have you wondered why they do? Why do so many of the promising employees start interviewing to transfer as soon as they can? Do you really believe the high turnover rate is simply because of the shift we work?

fantastic

Customer Service (Former Employee)
Memphis, TN

I worked at Old Dominion Freight full-time for more than a year

Proswonderful company, career driven, top of the line, promote within the company, pay is within standards of industry. I enjoyed working for the company very much.

ConsSome of the management need to remember where they started in the company. Remember the company's family values.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair in stipulations that are put on the terminals

Unfair place to work.

Driver (Former Employee)
Dayton, OH

I worked at Old Dominion Freight full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDescent wage comparable to companies in area.

ConsNo overtime, benefits are sub standard, and theres no retirement the 401k match is a joke for someone thats not upper management. The Dayton terminal you get ahead buy how well your liked in the office, not buy hard work. Ive seen people fired here because they speak there mind because most people there walk around on egg shells and afraid to say anything for fear of being fired. They have an open door policy that means you can speak your mind behind closed doors, but you better agree with what management there says or you will be on the outside looking in.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of bragging about your low operating ratios caused buy no overtime, benifits or retirement, Giving a few of these things to employees will keep the better ones instead of constant turn over that Ive seen.

Just another company that preaches keeping promises and then doesn't themselves

I have been working at Old Dominion Freight

ProsGreat people management was horrible it was you are as good as your last mistake

Conslong days and never good enough

Ten years wasted

P&D Driver At Old Dominion Freight Line (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Old Dominion Freight full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIts a job if your in desperate need of one. The pay is reasonably comparable to industry standards once you've attained your 3 year mark. Below average until that time.

ConsMandated 12-14 hours a day, No overtime, No advancement, No work/ home balance, very poor employee relations, management, from executive to local, has a "do it or else" attitude towards all employees. I worked for OD for over 10 years. Have 23+ years experience in the industry in all areas except upper management. When health concerns (caused from the job) made it almost impossible to continue driving, I was told that no other jobs or advancement into another position was available. Even though 2 dock positions and 2 city dispatch positions were open.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou claim the OD is a "family" company. Please act like it then. Stop treating your employees like equipment to be used then discarded. Invest in your current employees advancement. Abandon the "good old boy" attitude. Above all please stop stepping on your employees just to make a buck. After all your employees are the ones who did the work to make OD an industry leader.

I think they were a great company once.

P&D Driver (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at Old Dominion Freight full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe tractors are in good condition. If you don't want to think for yourself, and you want to spend more time jumping through hoops than getting things done, this is the job for you.

ConsThey have no loyalty to their employees. They fire employees at the first sign of trouble to limit liability (I'm not speaking of myself). They do not pay overtime in Oregon because they don't have to. Where they don't have to pay overtime, drivers work long days. Where they do have to pay overtime, employees work 8 hours. They care about production numbers more than safety and reasonable working conditions. If you are willing to run way too fast and skip lunch, they like you. That is until you have an accident because you were running too fast. Then you are generally fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou still say that you are a family. But you have become a micro managing, technology happy company that doesn't let smart people act on behalf of the company. Doers are not encouraged to be doers any longer. They feel beat down. Stop it! That's not what made you great. It was great people who were treated with respect and were therefore proud to work for you that made you great.

They do not care about you if you are not in the inner circle

Middle Management (Current Employee)
Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Old Dominion Freight full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSalary, and bonuses when they decide to pay them.

ConsNo training outside of the drivers and the dock workers. When they promote these individuals are rarely qualified and have no real reason to be in the positions they are in. I have not been able to decide if this is because the manager or managers above them feel job security knowing the people below them could not find their pay out of a paper bag? They sell family but there is none to be found and corporate profits and greed are the order of the day. At our terminal we had to buy our own coffee and use our own money when there was a mistake.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your people, and go back to focusing on your employees. If you take care of them they will take care of you. Find a way to get ride of this fear and intimidation policy you seem to pride yourself in. None and I mean none needs to be reminded they have a job on a daily/weekly basis. Look into your 401k plans, and medical/dental plans and bring them into this century.

Used to be a great company

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Old Dominion Freight full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood pay, good benefits,some great people

ConsToo many unqualified people in management positions. Good ol' boys attitude. Unequal treatment of employees

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen John Yowell was still with us we had a family atmosphere. It is now a company that has a false appearance of "family". Get back to the good old days where your employees mattered not simply a number.

I been working there for 12 years. Title Dock Worker

Dockworker (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Old Dominion Freight full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI making more money then I ever had in my whole life. Good Health insurance.

ConsThe Good Ole Boy Buddy system they got at Old Dominion sucks. They definely put personalities before principles. And is definetly not what you know but who you know. Bully Bosses who love to abused their authority .

Advice to Senior ManagementYour idea of being part of the O.D. family is a big joke. You need to make some surprised visits at the Dallas terminal without management knowing about it . You might be in for a rude awakening.

They have lost their family feel and atmosphere.

Operations Manager (Former Employee)
Rialto, CA

I worked at Old Dominion Freight full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSome terminals have great managers.

ConsThey are being driven by micromanagement. They expect 10 + hours a day out of managers and they no longer have ANY LOYALTY to their employees, although they expect loyalty from the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to what you used to do well. Family atmosphere fun place to work.

Worked for Old Dominion Freight? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Old Dominion Freight reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Old Dominion Freight CEO David S. Congdon. All 56 reviews posted anonymously by Old Dominion Freight employees.