Old Dominion University

Old Dominion University Reviews in Norfolk, VA

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Old Dominion University President John R. Broderick

John R. Broderick

Pros
  • Flexible work hours - and telecommuting is offered(even encouraged)(in 3 reviews)

• If you want to take on a more active roll in the university there are many opportunities to get involved(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Administration can be slow and there are few funding opportunities for grad students(in 2 reviews)

• They don't like you doing other activities such as internships while working as a graduate student(in 2 reviews)

45 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The engineering program is progressing. They are adding new programs and producing qualified graduates.

Student (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

Prosurban area with access to a variety of culture and shops. Classrooms are centrally organized and involvement is easy to achieve.

Conscampus security is poor. The area surrounding the college is run-down and dangerous.

Good support for part-time work

Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsThe campus has a lot happening - There's always a talk, workshop, exhibit, sporting events, etc. to attend. I enjoyed working with students from a variety of backgrounds, including international students, non-traditional aged students, veterans, and more. I had support in my department and was allowed flexibility with the classes I taught.

ConsAs with most IHEs - an increasing overuse of part-time/contingent faculty. My direct supervisor was sympathetic to this situation, but there's little he could do in terms of creating and approving more positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more full-time teaching positions. More invested faculty are better for students. People who teach at multiple institutions or in addition to one or more part-time jobs can't be expected to have the same level of devotion as full-time faculty.

Great Work Environment

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsReasonable Management, able to take class while working, campus environment is not bad at all. Benefit is also pretty nice.

ConsAs a school, it is not as "fast" as some companies, while it is maybe easier to work with. But sometime when you are trying to get some done you had to wait forever for others to response.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Graduate Research Assistant at Department of Physics

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsGreat pay compared to other departments at the university.
    Great work environment for the graduate students.
    Great faculty and staff.

ConsSupport for graduate student health insurance would be valuable.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the great work.

Fellow co-workers were friendly. Supervisors were respectful and caring.

Housekeeper (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsEveryone was easy to get along with.

ConsIt could be a bit disorganized at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little better communication would go along way for improving organization.

Great people & lots of different opportunities at ODU

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsDiverse work force, many different part time and full time opportunities at ODU

ConsIt is pretty much impossible to move up unless someone above you leaves. No raises for staff or admin for 5+ years. No raise again this year. Lots of employees get jobs and then change departments to get more pay or a better situation. Upper management is not in touch with those on the front line serving students.

Advice to Senior ManagementWay too much upper management in this school. Get rid of some of the upper management and hire more admin faculty and classified staff to help students. Pretty much all of the departments are short staffed and overworked. Need more personnel to better serve students & alumni.

Fun

Sound Assistant (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsWorked in the music department where I learned a lot.

ConsDid not receive a good amount of hours

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be great!

Best Experience

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsBest Advisor, good life and work, good money as a student

ConsI don't find any cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advisor Dr. Mukkamala is doing a good job

Not a bad place for obtaining a graduate degree

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsNice area to live, some excellent faculty members, lots to do in the surrounding cities, growing as a research intensive institution

ConsAdministration can be slow and there are few funding opportunities for grad students. Some of the buildings are really old but ODU has been slowly upgrading them.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep bringing in new faculty who will in turn bring in grants which will help the university's long term research goals.

Graduate Research assistant - worked independently, it was nice

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

Prosindependent work that focused on my research
    bi-weekly pay checks allowed for the occasional 'month of glory'
    University covered tuition as well

ConsPaperwork must be routed each semester, takes about a month to process. Plan ahead or you won't get paid your first month of the semester.

Advice to Senior ManagementStream line the paperwork, awards are usually for a full year, there is no reason to spend a solid day routing paperwork.

Worked for Old Dominion University? Contribute to the Community!