Old Edwards Inn

Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Richard Delany

The best job ever

Executive Banquet Chef (Former Employee)
    Highlands, NC

ProsThe staff and managers are helpful and push you to being successful in every way possible.

ConsThe mountain is not big enough for the company to expand.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope the original team is there to give you the ultimate experience.

great guest experience...not so good career experience

Massage Therapist (Former Employee)
    Highlands, NC

ProsGuests rave about this resort. OEI is a breath-taking beautiful resort. I was a massage therapist at the spa and I didn't even know spas this luxurious existed before working here. Every detail has been thought of as the beloved owners have done most of the decorating. Compared to other jobs in the community and industry in general OEI is very generous with compensation. I actually loved my job for the first few months until reality set in.

ConsI was a part time massage therapist for over a year and I pushed myself until my body literally couldn't take it any more. The spa gets busier every year which is great until guests feel that the spa is crowed and overbooked and the therapists are burnt out and exhausted. Full time for a therapist is about 25 hours a week so it is insane that full time therapists perform over 35 hours of massage a week. Guests don't get a a relaxing healing experience if they are the 8th client a exhausted massage therapist sees that day. I also couldn't stand the factory style work environment. In order for the spa to run smoothly appointments were on a water tight schedule. Therapists literally have 50 minuets to pick up a guest, introduce themselves, put the guest at ease, find out that guests needs, perform a massage, and then get that guest off the table and back to the locker rooms. If I were a guest who is paying hundreds of dollars to receive a 50 minuet massage i would be furious for not getting every minuet i paid for.

I also want to warn potential therapists about all the scheduling screw ups. For example on more than one occasion I would check my schedule and find that someone had scheduled me for a client either before or after the time i was supposed to be at work. I tried my best to get to the bottom of this and never did and it never stopped happening. This was extremely disrespectful and stressful because I would have to track some one down who could fix it. It would be one thing if some one would ask me to stay late or come in early but its a whole other story when no one bothers to ask.

I really hope these points help to inform new employees to make wise decisions about working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should NEVER be a situation where management changes a schedule, a lunch break, a day off, etc without asking the employee first. This is completely unacceptable, disrespectful, and the main reason why I quit. I hope management uses this information to get its act together and help slow the turn over rate and provide the same healthy environment for employees as it does for guests.

I'd rather be a guest

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGorgeous hotel, and most of the non-managerial staff are pleasant to work with.

ConsManagement doesn't follow-through and does everything to get out of work. HR is completely useless. Company management doesn't even follow their own employee handbook.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through and communicate...shouldn't even have to be said

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

True southern Hospitality for guests, but a strict corporate culture for the employees

Madison's/Winegarden Server (Former Employee)
    Highlands, NC

ProsA company that makes rich peoples' dreams come true- by providing the best possible experience every guest could have. In this, you can really learn the skills necessary to make the hospitality industry more personal and intimate- real southern hospitality. Good benefits after a year..

ConsJust like most small corporations with big corporate mentalities, everyone aside from management are replaceable. Your expected to put your job ahead of your life outside the company ( although I think most corps expect this, they just don't admit to it). And since the guests' experience is number one on the agenda, your needs will likely take a backseat to theirs.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize the worth in all your employees.

Worked for Old Edwards Inn? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Old Edwards Inn reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Old Edwards Inn CEO Richard Delany . All reviews posted anonymously by Old Edwards Inn employees.