Old Edwards Inn

1 Rating

The "Work Family"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highlands, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highlands, NC

I worked at Old Edwards Inn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is an exceptional company. Everyday at work was another day to do what you love and to be around people who really care about you and your well-being. When I began working for OEI I was fresh out of high school without a lick of experience in the hospitality industry. The Old Edwards family helped me grow into a professional with outstanding knowledge of customer service and I know the relationships I made there will follow me in my career forever.

Cons

The only con I can think of is they're reliance on interns from universities and management schools. Most of the interns are only there for 6-8 months; they cannot be properly trained in that amount of time which hurts the core staff.

They need to lower the amount of part time interns (not saying get ride of the program, it is an amazing learning experience for both intern and staff) and raise the number of full time employees.

great guest experience...not so good career experience

Former Employee - Massage Therapist in Highlands, NC
    Former Employee - Massage Therapist in Highlands, NC

I worked at Old Edwards Inn part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Guests rave about this resort. OEI is a breath-taking beautiful resort. I was a massage therapist at the spa and I didn't even know spas this luxurious existed before working here. Every detail has been thought of as the beloved owners have done most of the decorating. Compared to other jobs in the community and industry in general OEI is very generous with compensation. I actually loved my job for the first few months until reality set in.

Cons

I was a part time massage therapist for over a year and I pushed myself until my body literally couldn't take it any more. The spa gets busier every year which is great until guests feel that the spa is crowed and overbooked and the therapists are burnt out and exhausted. Full time for a therapist is about 25 hours a week so it is insane that full time therapists perform over 35 hours of massage a week. Guests don't get a a relaxing healing experience if they are the 8th client a exhausted massage therapist sees that day. I also couldn't stand the factory style work environment. In order for the spa to run smoothly appointments were on a water tight schedule. Therapists literally have 50 minuets to pick up a guest, introduce themselves, put the guest at ease, find out that guests needs, perform a massage, and then get that guest off the table and back to the locker rooms. If I were a guest who is paying hundreds of dollars to receive a 50 minuet massage i would be furious for not getting every minuet i paid for.

I also want to warn potential therapists about all the scheduling screw ups. For example on more than one occasion I would check my schedule and find that someone had scheduled me for a client either before or after the time i was supposed to be at work. I tried my best to get to the bottom of this and never did and it never stopped happening. This was extremely disrespectful and stressful because I would have to track some one down who could fix it. It would be one thing if some one would ask me to stay late or come in early but its a whole other story when no one bothers to ask.

I really hope these points help to inform new employees to make wise decisions about working here.

There should NEVER be a situation where management changes a schedule, a lunch break, a day off, etc without asking the employee first. This is completely unacceptable, disrespectful, and the main reason why I quit. I hope management uses this information to get its act together and help slow the turn over rate and provide the same healthy environment for employees as it does for guests.

The best job ever

Former Employee - Executive Banquet Chef in Highlands, NC
    Former Employee - Executive Banquet Chef in Highlands, NC

I worked at Old Edwards Inn full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The staff and managers are helpful and push you to being successful in every way possible.

Cons

The mountain is not big enough for the company to expand.

I hope the original team is there to give you the ultimate experience.

I'd rather be a guest

I worked at Old Edwards Inn full-time

Pros

Gorgeous hotel, and most of the non-managerial staff are pleasant to work with.

Cons

Management doesn't follow-through and does everything to get out of work. HR is completely useless. Company management doesn't even follow their own employee handbook.

Follow through and communicate...shouldn't even have to be said

True southern Hospitality for guests, but a strict corporate culture for the employees

Former Employee - Madison's/Winegarden Server in Highlands, NC
    Former Employee - Madison's/Winegarden Server in Highlands, NC

I worked at Old Edwards Inn

Pros

A company that makes rich peoples' dreams come true- by providing the best possible experience every guest could have. In this, you can really learn the skills necessary to make the hospitality industry more personal and intimate- real southern hospitality. Good benefits after a year..

Cons

Just like most small corporations with big corporate mentalities, everyone aside from management are replaceable. Your expected to put your job ahead of your life outside the company ( although I think most corps expect this, they just don't admit to it). And since the guests' experience is number one on the agenda, your needs will likely take a backseat to theirs.

Realize the worth in all your employees.