Old Navy

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.2 1,239 reviews

Old Navy President & CEO Gap, Inc. Glenn K. Murphy

Glenn K. Murphy

Pros
  • You also receive generous discounts from Old Navy, Gap and Banana Republic(in 89 reviews)

• The staff is fun to work with and there is an incredible employee discount(in 119 reviews)

Cons
  • you will only become a cashier if you get customers to open old navy credit cards(in 118 reviews)

• Especially since most of us were working part time for a few hours a week(in 57 reviews)

1,239 Employee Reviews

Learning Experience

Old Navy Sales Associate (Current Employee) Miami, FL

Prosflexible hours, fun environment, co-workers' personalities

ConsStaying late to fix up the store and rude customers at times.

I loved working here!!! If you want a career in retail, there's no better place to be.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) San Marcos, TX

ProsGreat discounts at the entire Gap Inc. family, fun atmosphere, the best customer service training in the industry, a quality product you can really stand behind, amazing coworkers and management, opportunities for advancement.

ConsIt is difficult to be full time, especially during slower periods. Peak periods can be fast paced and chaotic (this was a pro for me, I loved it)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

love the prices and styles

Sales Associate/Cash Handler (Current Employee) Woodburn, OR

ProsI love the work enviornment love working with groups of people

Conshaving to please the not so nice customers

Advice to Senior Managementbeing able to keep things in a professional manner, no gossiping about your own employers

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty okay Job, Could be Worse

Old Navy Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible Hours which is awesome if you're a student
    Easy to request time off, only a few black-out dates the whole year
    Great discount, 25% at Old Navy and 50% at Gap and Banana Republic
    Friendly Coworkers and Managers so you're always having a good time
    Great way to gain experience in retail

ConsNot enough hours, kinda hard to make enough money if you're in college
    Managers always changing which is inconvenient
    Pay isn't that good and raises suck as well, especially for those who have worked their a while
    Some Old Navy stores (mine included) are open every day except Christmas

Advice to Senior ManagementMore time needs to be put into training new employees, the new 'sellebrity' training isn't working. The new raise was a great idea but it's kind of a rip-off to the older employees who have been working up to their current wage for years.

Excellent Retail Career, No Room into Corporate.

Operations Manager (Former Employee) Trumbull, CT

ProsOld navy is a great place to work, especially if you build great relationships with you management colleagues and associates. This isn't a "cookie cutter job" where your actions go unnoticed however, at least at a lower level your actions are rewarded.

ConsA wide ranging variety of employees. Expect extremes from the extremely lazy to the super efficient. Hours aren't terrible, typical retail.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management understands the roles their management teams play when it comes to revenue so they like to keep things that way. Please do not lie to your employees promising growth outside of retail brick and mortar.

Great Environment!

Old Navy Sales Associate (Former Employee) Georgetown, TX

ProsAt my location my management team was AWESOME! They are a great team who really cares about their job and staff. Constantly thinking about ways to make work fun through goal setting competitions and games and staff meeting that we actually WANT to go to! The discounts are awesome!

ConsAs a single mom, the only reason I could no longer work there was the low pay and odd hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

So far, so good

Sellebrity (Current Employee)

ProsEasy to make friends with the people you work with, flexible schedules, open-door policy, the discount across GAP inc. stores, cross-training in all areas of the store.

ConsPressure to "sell" the ONC, sometimes there aren't enough cashiers so it gets busy and there may or may not be someone available for backup. Working the fitting rooms is just a disaster.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave designated people for each area that stay in that area. Offer chances to move into management.

Best place for a first job!

Merchandising Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsThe environment is always fun and there are always things to do. It's a little cheesy but it all fits in to Old Navy's standards. There are yearly raises and performance reviews. It's a fantastic first job.

ConsIf you're planning on staying within the company for the rest of your life, I probably wouldn't recommend it. The leadership can be a little off putting at times. I get along with most of them but I've heard of them pushing people out. There isn't too much room for moving up.

Old Navy is a great place to work.

Sellebrity (Current Employee) Visalia, CA

ProsThe staff are all willing to help you learn new things. The management team at my store is great. They are willing to train you and if and when you make a mistake, they do not chastise you or make you feel stupid. The discount is also great and is not just for your store but for the sister stores as well.

ConsThe ONC pressure. Each store has a quota for the Old Navy Credit Cards. It's not always easy to meet the weekly quota.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is key. The leadership at the Visalia, Ca store is wonderful.

Great part time job for the students or the summer

Sales Associate/Sellebrity (Former Employee) De Witt, NY

ProsEasy work environment, fun people to work with, employee discount across GAP INC., flexible hours, a great job for students in school

ConsDepending on your manager, working under leadership can be difficult. I was getting my degree and they often tried to belittle me saying "You don't need your degree in retail. Look at me I'm a Store Manager or an ASM and I don't have a degree." Most of their management skills didn't make sense. The interview process is ridiculous and super easy. They were beginning to get pushy on cards and email which can be annoying. They don't give employees very much trust in handling much. Most of the time while I tried to help customers, it was hard when I had to always call a manager up to override an easy error, or to get change from the cash register for the bouncy ball machine.You will usually only be able to move up to management if they see you as an advantage. More like a puppet for leadership rather than a person willing to be a leader. If you have an outspoken personality or characters, you probably won't get the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have quality people working for you, be better at realizing that they are an asset and not expendable.

Worked for Old Navy? Contribute to the Community!