Old Navy

3.2 1,209 reviews

Old Navy President & CEO Gap, Inc. Glenn K. Murphy

Glenn K. Murphy

1,209 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "You also receive generous discounts from Old Navy, Gap and Banana Republic"
    in 87 reviews
  • "The staff is fun to work with and there is an incredible employee discount"
    in 113 reviews
Cons:
  • "It makes it stressful as in this day people do NOT want/need more credit cards"
    in 112 reviews
  • "Especially since most of us were working part time for a few hours a week"
    in 55 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Working at Old Navy

Service and Training Manager (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsEasy work, not a mental challenge, company expects us to perform volunteer work in the community;

ConsNot enough training time for new employees, work culture varies from store to store, so not always a good experience, especially if the store manager is not "pro employee". Noisy kids running through the store constantly and store manager spends too much time in office.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more from within and give the current managers a chance instead of hiring a total unknown.

Friendly Workplace

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe training was informative. Co-workers were friendly. And the discount are great.

ConsNot a whole lot of hours.

Lesser of two evils

ProsNice starting salary. Very flexible hours. Fabulous discount at the family of stores.. i.e Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic! Extremely upbeat environment with tons of energy.

ConsNever given enough hours to achieve benefit status! No paid time off...even Kroger gives part time employees a paid vacation! Little room for growth in stores. Great employees often overlooked...no appreciation is shown, no compliments given.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciation goes a long way...just a pat on the back will most times suffice. Work on steering away from favoritism. Employees CAN tell! Worth on better hiring practices...having 75 people on staff and they're only getting 4-12 hours a week each is ridiculous. Chief complaint among sellebrities... not getting hours even when they're available for them!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun,learning experience.

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsYou get discounts at gap and old navy, discount on top of already discounted prices! Most of the people are young so it tends to be fun

ConsNot a lot of hours, not a set schedule, transfers to other stores are not always easy. Promised certain amount of hours when hired but there's so many employees that you don't get them.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward the employees that do good, its a good way for pushing people to do better

Typical retail job

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Vacaville, CA

ProsFlexible with schedule, lots of hours to give. Easy to switch shifts with other associates

ConsLow pay, cheap company. If you're down for 10-15 cent raises once a year, this is your company

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep an eye on Old Navy 5704. HR needs to come in. Old Navy is a store, not a church.

Sales Associate- Fitting Room Specialist

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsWe are able to make our own availability, My manager is very respectful of the fact that this is just a part time job and I have a full time job.

ConsLong hours, the company is taking away our free flag tees and flip flops. Corporate and management is always asking us to promote the clothes or the one day wonder by wearing the featured item, however we have to use our own money to purchase such items, 25% discount is ok, but it isn't that great. The store focuses too much on entertaining customers children, with balloons, coloring stations, and bouncy balls. The minimum pay went up to $9, great for the person that started in December bad for someone like me that has worked there for 4 years. So now I make what someone that started 6 months ago. The $9 should have been a base and then we should have still gotten our merit raises. What a kick in the face! There is a lot of times when the bathrooms are flithy and they expect us to clean it. The customers are absolutely rude to us and management just wants us to take it. We are always asked to harass customers about getting an old navy card, there are times when management bullies sales associates that don't have cards into getting cards. Very clicky place, someone feels like middle school and not a more professional environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake associates feel like they are not just a "dime a dozen", offer bonuses for attendance, not just for people that get old navy cards. Give out more free items. If there is a one day wonder give it to the employees. The discount needs to be increase to maybe 30-35%. Stop with the "Chuck E. Cheese" mentality, it a store to shop in appeal to all adults not just the ones that want employees to watch their kids while they roam around the store.

Nothing Special

Viera, FL

ProsFlexible scheduling
    Very good hourly wage
    meet some great people there.
    Very generous employee discount.

ConsNo room to grow, management is either great or horrible, very short shifts (4-5 hours tops), not enough hours to go around, too many employees per store, too much pressure to sell the Old Navy card.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf we are given only 10 hours a week, you cannot expect us to know everything that goes on around the store.

Zzzz...

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee)
    Carson, CA

ProsThis store has nice management.

ConsFolding clothes is a boring job.

Fun, but hard work

Assistant Store Manager of Merchandising (Former Employee)
    Lanham, MD

ProsOld Navy prides themselves on a culture of "being yourself;" As a manager I could wear shorts and flip flops to work and show my tattoos without any complaints.

ConsCrazy shoppers and long hours during the holidays. Many young employees who really don't care about or need their jobs. Many position cuts, which means more work for employees and management. Assistant managers expected to drive service, lead and coach their team, and drive sales, which is possible but when the merchandising expectations are so high, it leaves little team to do anything else but merchandise and maintain your floor.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave two separate ASM roles, ASM-Merchandising, can not be effective ASMs in the building when their constantly ensuring merchandising standards. OR merchandise specialists should be GRADE 7s and make more money! Door 2 Floor is the most important and hard-working operations in the store, yet the people who run it, make almost the same amount as the regular employees.

Depends on your location

Sales/Pricing Associate (Current Employee)
    Springfield, VA

ProsBusy, ok pay, and with the right management can actually be kind of fun. I have worked at three locations and only 1 was bearably for longer than 6 months and I am a Veteran.

Conshard to move up ( if you desire), no feedback unless it is negative, no paid time off (hard to even get unpaid time off when needed), constant change in management, horrible client tell

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let you being stressed out affect the moral of your workers.

Worked for Old Navy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Old Navy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Old Navy CEO Glenn K. Murphy. All 1,209 reviews posted anonymously by Old Navy employees.