Old Navy

Updated Jul 22, 2014

3.2 1,233 reviews

Old Navy President & CEO Gap, Inc. Glenn K. Murphy

Glenn K. Murphy

Pros
  • You also receive generous discounts from Old Navy, Gap and Banana Republic(in 89 reviews)

• The staff is fun to work with and there is an incredible employee discount(in 119 reviews)

Cons
  • you will only become a cashier if you get customers to open old navy credit cards(in 118 reviews)

• Especially since most of us were working part time for a few hours a week(in 57 reviews)

1,233 Employee Reviews

Just passing thru type job

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsNo dedication or commitment required

Conspay is so low, its almost not profitable to work

After years of working, you are one of the many they rely on.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsHumble coworkers, Good discount, Great clothes, Nice customers, generous breaks

ConsNo growth opportunity unless you move to full time
    Schedule cuts based on number of new hires and sales
    After years of working, you still get paid the same amount as new hires
    You have to work almost every holiday

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, the ones who are actually working

Sales Associate

Old Navy Sales Associate (Former Employee) Hamilton, OH

ProsVery easy to balance work and personal life (school, family, etc.)
    Store discount
    Flexible scheduling
    Opportunity for advancement in the company

ConsForced to solicit Old Navy Cards in order to get more hours. If you did not reach a certain number of cards in a week then you would barely get hours until you made your quota.
    It is a retail job (worst customers)

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time on training new staff members.
    When I worked here, there were multiple managers being hired and fired and it was overwhelming on the staff.
    There wasn't structure or communication between the staff. Overall, it turned chaotic. There has to be a better way of handling a store. Also, the store I worked at had a "Heroes and Zeroes" list (not exaggerating). This was to show the staff who the "heroes", the ones who got the most Old Navy Cards, and the "zeroes" list, those who did not meet their quota. I understand that this was used as a motivational tool but it came off as overly aggressive and offensive to the staff. This should not be allowed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Stop Along the Way

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee)

ProsDiscounts, meeting new friends, flexible hours

ConsStressful, minimum wage pay, no room for advancement, pushing credit cards 24/7, management doesn't care about employees, working weekends and holidays

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide workers with better incentives, employees work hard and should be appreciated for it, give us more feedback on ways it improve and opportunities for advancement

Corporate Retail: Meh

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsMy managers were receptive to putting people where they wanted to be. I.e., I liked working in the fitting rooms, so I spent most of my time there.

The community of managers + employees was friendly, welcoming (though 'fun' may be a stretch?).

ConsWorking for a company of this size means lots of limitations, corporate regulations, rules, etc. You'll have to present relatively conservatively and color in the lines.

Also, this was a minimum wage job for me.

Learning Experience

Old Navy Sales Associate (Former Employee) Mishawaka, IN

ProsThis is a great crash course for dealing with customers from all walks of life and a job that will open your eyes to what the ins and outs of retail at a very basic level are. I started this job when I was 16 and stayed for almost two years, learning a variety of retail related tasks and responsibilities. If you can handle Old Navy and the stress of a high traffic retail environment, which Old Navy is known to have, then you can handle anything in retail. Also the benefits of having a Gap and Banana Republic discount are SO generous.

ConsMy biggest issue with working here was the emphasis on pushing the credit card so heavily. A lot of the customers shopping at Old Navy have NO business getting a credit card and it is extremely uncomfortable when they don't get approved, especially if you have a long line at the register which is very likely. Another con is dealing with messy, or angry customers that will blatantly ruin an entire table you had just folded. After awhile that became expected, so again, the biggest con would be the credit card pushing.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake more realistic goals for credit card promotion- the card should sell itself. Also, as a person who enjoys the personal styling aspect of retail, train your employees better on fit, new product etc. While there was some opportunities in this area, majority of customers seemed annoyed that we were helping them, probably because we weren't actually helping because we didn't understand the selling points of the clothing. The job tends to feel like a clean up crew instead of a sales associate more often that not, and that leaves to high turnover in employees.

Work here.

Pricing Specialist (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsGreat working environment for starters.

ConsPay could be better for the work done.

Great company

Old Navy Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThe hours were great for students and the discount was also good. The coworkers and managers were also great for the most part and it was a very friendly and light hearted work environment.

ConsThe only con to me would be feeling overlooked at certain points, and the old navy card expectations were some what unrealistic.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training is needed for new associates and management.

Retail Associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible hours.
    Eligible for a discount although I never received my discount card.

ConsMinimum wage.
    Only one responsibiity no versatility.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive associates more responsibilities.

Could be better, could be worse...but leaning towards "worse"

Cashier (Former Employee)

Pros- If management decides they like you, you will get a lot of hours
    - Dress code is fun and casual
    - Benefits of working in a mid-size retailer
    - Great employee discount

ConsEven compared to other retail jobs I have had, this one was definitely the bottom of the barrel. Biggest complaints:
    - Overall store/employee culture was HIGHLY competitive as the amount of hours you received were very dependent on the amount of old navy cards you could push
    - Stressful due to either being given no tasks, or an overload of tasks
    - Return and store policies were inconsistent with company policies
    - Computer/Pay system was archaic and not well done
    - "the customer is always right" attitude to the point of having to be a pushover
    - Very inflexible in terms of hours/allowing others to cover shifts

Advice to Senior Management- Don't talk bad about your employees while you are on the floor - it's very unprofessional and makes one wonder what they then must talk about when no one is around
    - Provide work schedule more than one week in advance! especially as a part time employee without a set schedule, it is very hard to plan ahead/around other jobs when you may only be notified of your shifts 3 days in advance
    - Your ability to push old navy cards should not be the only measure of how good an employee is

Worked for Old Navy? Contribute to the Community!