Old Navy

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.2 1,238 reviews

Old Navy President & CEO Gap, Inc. Glenn K. Murphy

Glenn K. Murphy

Pros
  • You also receive generous discounts from Old Navy, Gap and Banana Republic(in 89 reviews)

• The staff is fun to work with and there is an incredible employee discount(in 119 reviews)

Cons
  • you will only become a cashier if you get customers to open old navy credit cards(in 118 reviews)

• Especially since most of us were working part time for a few hours a week(in 57 reviews)

1,238 Employee Reviews

FUN and energetic place to work.

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsGreat benefits and work life balance.

ConsWork to employee ratio.......lots of negativity toward amount of hours.

Great co-workers, AWFUL management staff.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Savannah, GA

ProsFun job most of the time. If you're schedule is open there is a lot if versatility as far as where you work in the store. Most shifts were 4 hours so that's not bad for a work day.

ConsMost shifts were 4 hours plus you get $8 an hour. The customers are rude. There was clear favoritism in the store. Management would tell you one thing but it would be a complete lie. Part time students with limited availability got more hours than people with open availability because of personal relationships with the management. The GM didn't make the schedule but acted like she did and it's like a fun game messing with you and your schedule. Constantly talking about advancement opportunity but nothing happens unless you're willing too "peer coach" your co-workers. So basically, boss other people around who are at your same level but you'll get no recognition or pay for it and they'll resent you. No thank you! People pooped and peed in the fitting rooms. I've heard if others enjoying their store but do not work at the Savannah store unless you want to work with a bunch of undereducated jerks who are all power crazy.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck up with the staff more. The management gets lazy. Training is awful. Role playing doesn't help train the staff, hold then accountable for what you expect them to know before you hire them. It will weed out the people who don't care and you'll have less turn over. It's a minimum wage job so you get what you pay for.

Terrible 1st Job Experience

Old Navy Sales Associate (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThey offered me $8.50 immediately, as an 18 year old for my 1st paying job, so that was nice. Job is generally easy but boring. Met some cool associates my age.

Cons- THEY ARE NOT PATIENT WITH NEW PEOPLE, ESPECIALLY COLLEGE STUDENTS. The leaders at my store always acted annoyed with the new employees, and especially those who can only work summers and breaks like me, because I'm at school the rest of the year. Just because I'm actually going somewhere with my life and not staying in retail and folding clothes forever doesn't mean you can treat me poorly...
    - I struggled on the cash register and when I asked for help, I was met with eyerolls and harsh tones. They spent 15 minutes telling me how to be a cashier and then immediately threw me into a 6-hour shift on a busy Saturday afternoon.
    - Schedules are supposed to be emailed out on early Friday mornings but there were several weeks that I didn't know my hours until Saturday afternoon. It makes it difficult to make arrangements if you need to trade shifts.
    - They also hire about 70 part-time sales associates at my store, making hours sparse for everyone. Lots of employees are forced to work 2 jobs in order to make ends meet because Old Navy is only giving them 10-15 hours per week. I'm hating this job so much right now that I'm happy to see only 8 hours on my schedule, but I'm okay because my parents are still supporting me financially. That's not the case for everyone, Old Navy!!! As soon as schedules are emailed out, people start flooding the group email chain, begging to take other people's shifts. Our manager doesn't like it because she says it's "annoying" to get all those emails. Well, honey, stop whining and think about WHY all the younger associates are suddenly giving lots of their shifts to older ones...it should not be the responsibility of the 16-21 year olds in the store to make sure that the older associates can pay their bills, but that's exactly what we've all bonded together to do.

Advice to Senior Management- Stop pushing the ONCs...no one wants to open yet ANOTHER credit card to pay off.
    - Don't make the grouchiest, people-hating managers your LODs.
    - Don't give the college students crap for leaving in August; we made it clear in our interviews that we'd be gone after the summer and you chose to hire us.
    -Give more hours to older, financially-independant associates. Your high school and college aged associates might not like it at first but I assure you they'll understand once they realize why it's important.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Old Navy Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsWork Schedule, work-life balance, and environment.

ConsNot enough growth opportunities for this company.

So far i like working here

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Long Beach, CA

Prosget to wear what you want.

Consnot the greatest hours

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe not be so strict

Extreme lack of hours

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Jackson, MS

ProsHigher than minimum wage, simple work.

ConsLittle to zero hours, Staying 1-2 hours after closing, having touch clothes that people have worn is unsanitary because of germs, body fluids, etc. Selling credit cards. Standing on feet for hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's no point in hiring someone if you are not going to give them little to no hours. Also, the store is overstaffed. Stop making employees force credit cards on people who don't need or want them.

Never going back!!!

Old Navy Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGood raise if you're a hard worker

ConsHorrible management skills.... completely unprofessional managers

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should at least have some experience in college.

Fun place to work

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule. Fun atmosphere. Discount on merchandise.
    The store I worked in had a lousy manager when I first started, but replaced it with someone who was willing to tell people how she wanted things done and then make sure they were done. It was refreshing.

ConsLow pay. They ask if you want to take on more responsibility, but don't want to compensate accordingly. Negative attitudes of managers. The higher managers at the store level were wonderful, but some of the shift supervisors or leaders of the day as they call them were negative and not friendly. Lots of young people work here and that makes it fun, but also means laziness.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that those who are going to be in charge for the day have a good attitude and are encouraging.

The business model seems appropriate for it's demographic and potential employees.

ProsVery organized and easy work. Everyone is friendly and inviting. Fast paced and fun on special days or certain sales events.

ConsI do not see an avenue in which I could make a career within a reasonable timeframe. Some sketchy things can happen inside a retail store with high traffic volume.

Working at Old Navy

Service and Training Manager (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsEasy work, not a mental challenge, company expects us to perform volunteer work in the community;

ConsNot enough training time for new employees, work culture varies from store to store, so not always a good experience, especially if the store manager is not "pro employee". Noisy kids running through the store constantly and store manager spends too much time in office.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more from within and give the current managers a chance instead of hiring a total unknown.

Worked for Old Navy? Contribute to the Community!