Old Navy

Updated Mar 13, 2014

Old Navy President & CEO Gap, Inc. Glenn K. Murphy

Glenn K. Murphy

2 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Only a certain type of person should work at Old Navy

Customer Experience Associate (Former Employee)
    Loveland, CO

ProsThis was my first job, and I learned the basics of being a retail associate, but that's about it.

ConsNot enough training, Generally unhappy environment, loud music, some of my managers definitely showed favoritism, "seasonal" hours, Unprofessional management

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish my employers had spent more time on useful training in order to help me do my job better, rather than scrutinizing me for not selling enough old navy cards. It was very obvious I was let go because I was not social with my co-workers, not because I did not do my job well.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Never again.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Loveland, CO

ProsThey are usually flexible with time off requests, but god forbid you need to request off a Saturday or Sunday.

ConsThey say they will work with your school schedule if you turn it in at a reasonable time, yet I was scheduled at least three times a week during hours that I had class. Having people cover your shifts is a joke because you get looked down upon for it.

Selling Old Navy Cards to people is just part of the retail game, but at Old Navy if you don't sell at least one a month, you get written up, and after a few months you can be terminated... Even if you work as part of their shipment crew, starting at 6am and ending at 10am, meaning you are lucky to see one customer a week and are expected to sell them a card... Not realistic.

Recently, as per their jump towards social media, all employees are hounded to force customers to try and 'like' the store on Facebook, and to use their personal social networking accounts to coerce their friends into doing the same, which is absolutely absurd.

Also, I was hired on as a regular employee not a seasonal employee and promised 20-25 hours a week, which was consistent until after holidays, where I was lucky to come out with 10-15 hours a week. Thanks for paying me gas money to get back and forth.

Further, the management chain is an absolute joke. I have seven different 'managers' who frankly, get less and less intelligent as you go up the chain.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to the way your employees react to some of the ridiculous decisions you make. Perhaps that will help you promote a workplace that doesn't revolve around high-school drama, that is often started by some of your 'management' staff.

Secondly, treat your employees not by a generalization of the type of people you usually hire, but by their own individual skill sets and personalities. Treating someone who has a bachelors degree in Economics, as if they were a five year old needing direction to finish the simplest of tasks, is not the most efficient way of communication nor task assignment.

Thirdly, if you're going to put someone in a leadership position, it's probably a good idea to make sure they know what it is they are meant to be doing, instead of showing up every morning and trying to pass blame on one of the other seven 'managers' for not doing their part to make sure you didn't have to actually apply yourself to your job.

Worked for Old Navy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Old Navy reviews and ratings in Loveland, CO — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Old Navy CEO Glenn K. Murphy. All reviews posted anonymously by Old Navy employees.