Old Navy

3.4
1,489 Reviews

Old Navy President & CEO Gap, Inc. Glenn K. Murphy
Glenn K. Murphy

Pros
  • You also receive generous discounts from Old Navy, Gap and Banana Republic (in 103 reviews)

• The staff is fun to work with and there is an incredible employee discount (in 138 reviews)

Cons
  • Performance is based mostly of off how many Old Navy credit cards you sell (in 137 reviews)

• Must know how to prioritize your time to achieve work-life balance along with respective DOR (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

I love my job, but most importantly my coworkers. Fun, lax environment

Current Employee - Sellebrity in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sellebrity in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Old Navy

Pros

great coworkers, time and a half, flexible, company values, culture, environment, diversity

Cons

customer service, holiday season, cleaning procedures, short staffing

Relate understand business and extremes the store goes to to get it looking in decent condition

Friendly customer service

I have been working at Old Navy

Pros

The supervisors and staff are very helpful and friendly.

Cons

It was a wonderful place to work I have no complaints.

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Sellebrity in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Sellebrity in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Old Navy

Pros

Awesome benefits, store employees feel like a family, flexible scheduling. Great to be either a first job or lifetime career.

Cons

There isn't really much bad about it. There tends to be a lot of management turnover, which can be hard but it can be dealt with

Great starter job. Flexible hours perfect for students. I will be back next year to work part time.

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at Old Navy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

flexibility, good hours, team atmosphere

Cons

Low pay for part time people. Students have books to buy!

I have no advice to management. They seem to know what they are doing.

It was whatever

Former Employee - Toilet Cleaner
    Former Employee - Toilet Cleaner

I worked at Old Navy

Pros

Management cared about if you took your 15 or not, nice people

Cons

weren't any really, if you like working with people

I don't really have any

Overall a great first job experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Monroe, LA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Monroe, LA

I worked at Old Navy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employee discounts were the best! The managers at my store were amazing and caring. The other employees treated me like family.

Cons

Long hours for minimum wage. Sometimes there are horribly rude customers who you have to placate simply because they have "the customer is always right" mindset.

Better pay would keep sales associates for longer since most of the employees I started with had left by the time I changed jobs.

Decent for a part time job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Old Navy part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-They are very flexible with hours.
    -Tends to be a fairly positive work environment
    -Let's be honest....it's a pretty easy job,customer service,and keeping clothes organized and tidy.
    - Decent discount

Cons

-No paid time off or sick day pay
    - There is little training for new associates
    -Pay for associates who have been there for a long time is not good. I have almost 8 yrs. with the company and make about 1.50 more than some new hires due to them capping a part time associates pay at a certain point.
    -Management has a high turnover rate.I think it is due to lack of training and stress of the position. This leads to situations where I know more than some of the managers and have to bite my tongue a LOT.

-Value your long time associates more
    -Get on the same page and communicate with each other

a little better then most retail job s

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Old Navy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

good partime job! Especially when in school. As long as you can request it off a a week in advance you can almost always get it off. Very good employee discounts.

Cons

Tedious lots of folding,your clients have no respect majority of them a rude, old navy credit cards and e-mail capture is painful. I would enjoy being a cashier if I didn't have to talk constantly about the card and getting their e-mails. almost no hours in the slow months january-march, Hours are scheduled based on favoritism as long as you do a good job and are liked you will get hours, the raises are a joke! Most of the people working there have lower or same salary then the new sales associate starting out there.

Review the salary structure you should reward based on merit! It doesn't make sense that some of the brand new employees get $10 per hour and the have no experience while there are people who have been with the company for 1 year still getting paid 9.50!!!!

Overall Gap Inc, is not a bad company to work for.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Old Navy

Pros

Plenty of vacation time as management Insurance is good. Good work life balance if in an hourly management position. Exempt management is still a little better balance than some other retailers.

Cons

Managing with upper field management knowing little about day to day operations within a store. Their expectations do not line up with labor budget and are always changing direction from one day to the next. And you have to hope too have a team that is flexible in availability to change there life around to accommodate the change of sale sets and truck process from one day to another.

Don't make plans one week and next week change them. Analyze your business ahead of time and be confident in your decision when relaying the message down the pipeline.

Great flexible part-time job with exceptional pay.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Old Navy

Pros

Flexible scheduling, great pay, can transfer to different locations, good employee discount, managers are strict on giving breaks when scheduled, managers are helpful in finding employees who can trade or take shifts for you,

Cons

Work all holidays except Christmas, can't request holidays off, never usually have weekends off, you have to request weekends off several weeks in advance because only a few employee time off requests are granted for each calendar day; there is little consistency between the different store locations so an employee could transfer and still need training for the store-specific standards, policies and procedures, not to mention that customers' experiences vary from store to store as well and they will point out the differences in our policies and often times get upset because the stores are not on one accord.

Don't schedule employees' shifts too close together to allow for rest; have managers (and stores) be on one accord to prevent confusion amongst employees; be clear and precise when placing sale signs so that customers can understand -- a lot of customers do the customer surveys JUST so that they can express how frequently this happens and how mad it makes them, hoping that management will eventually take it into consideration; others just leave and never return to the store -- this is one of the biggest things that hurt CES scores (at least at my location). Please don't move merchandise around so much, it confuses both customers and employees. It'll minimize the mistakes made when returning merchandise to the sales floor because employees will know where things are supposed to go. Also, please be sure to train every employee on every station, and thoroughly. The should be no excuse why you can't schedule someone on register because they have not been trained. I cannot express enough how dumb it is that employees who have worked in my location for 3 and 4 years have not been multi-trained, are always scheduled for one position every day, and have no idea how to do shipment or work a register. It'll save you in how many people you have to hire if you just train everybody on everything when they are initially hired (and experienced employees, like me, are more than happy to help!). Overall, there are way more good things than bad, I love working for this company, most of my managers are friendly, approachable, and considerate. I look at my store as a team and the employees and managers like my family. I love coming to work each day!