Old Navy

3.1 1,088 reviews

Old Navy President & CEO Gap, Inc. Glenn K. Murphy

Glenn K. Murphy

1,088 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "25% off the store and 50% off of Gap and Banana Republic merchandise"
    in 80 reviews
  • "I enjoy the people I work with, the employee discount and the fun atmosphere"
    in 105 reviews
Cons:
  • "It makes it stressful as in this day people do NOT want/need more credit cards"
    in 110 reviews
  • "Especially since most of us were working part time for a few hours a week"
    in 52 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Ups and downs with management.

Pricing Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Old Navy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAmazing company to work for, you get benefits and other pluses like PTO. The staff is fun to work with and there is an incredible employee discount.

ConsLeaders and regular associates do all the dirty work, while the store managers take the entire credit for it. There needs to be a better structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementBelieve in your staff, and give credit where needed to. Have more fun, that is what old navy used to be known for.

Not bad for retail!

Cash Handler/Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Old Navy part-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery flexible hours, and some form of benefits are offered even for part time (unless it has changed in the 2 years since I worked there). Casual and relaxed (but not laid back), friendly environment, makes customers comfortable shopping and employees more likely to enjoy their job.

ConsSometimes not a lot of hours, although it is understandable because of how hours are allotted to the stores. If you apply don't look to get a lot of hours then you won't be disappointed. Most of our turnover seemed to be from people who had an expectation of getting a certain amount of hours, then when they didn't they would quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementSo far so good, and congratulations for being one of the first to raise your minimum wage!

good for youngsters

I have been working at Old Navy

Prosdiscounts on clothing at affiliates

Consno guaranteed hours schedule changes every week

Great Place for Part Time Employment!

Sellebrity (Current Employee)
DeWitt, NY

I have been working at Old Navy part-time for less than a year

ProsFlexible hours, awesome discount (at all or at least most of The Gap brands with stores), no pressure really to speak of, and I get to see a lot of fun clothes as I work!

ConsIt can get really busy. Scheduling is not always great, but I don't know if it's lack of available hours to having people on or people calling in. The only employees who are full time are management, the rest are part time only. The pay could be higher but eh ... as a part time job, it's fine.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure someone is in the Fitting Room at all times. Don't have them be the only ones backing up the register. Add an in-store kiosk so we can see what is available online for all the people who ask.

Great Experience

I have been working at Old Navy

ProsAtmosphere is great within the store

ConsUpper management not connected to the retail floor

Overnight stock

Overnight Replenishment Team (Former Employee)
Levittown, NY

I worked at Old Navy part-time for less than a year

ProsNo dealing with customers. Great if you are a night person and don't like waking up early. Can have the whole day and night before for friends and family. Waste zero sunlight by being inside!

ConsSometimes worked until 4am or later.

Great place to work..

Operations Manager (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Old Navy full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood people + good benefits = great place to work. Work-life balance is not just talked about, it happens.

ConsMostly part-time employees, but if you can get full time, grab i.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up

Fun environment, friendly co-workers, great discounts.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Old Navy part-time for less than a year

ProsThere's a few things that I really like working for my particular store: my co-workers, the positivity and coaching of my managers, and the positive vibes of the environment. The employee discount ain't half bad either. Pretty much everyone that I work with is pleasant and willing to help whenever I need. I really appreciate the feeling of being on a team when I clock in, knowing that we are all there to ensure that our store is it's absolute best. My managers are alway there to coach me through sales and how I can improve as a sales associate. And despite mistakes I've never been scolded for confusion of hours or messing up a transaction due to my ignorance of the POS system.

ConsI'm 25, and although I do appreciate the fun and enthusiasm of the environment, there have been times when I feel that managers try to make things a little too fun, almost like a camp-like activity. For example, there was a time when a manager looked at me smiled and was like "how fast do you think you can fold this entire section of women's?" I appreciate the attitude, but most times I'm fine with just being given a specific task with a specific time frame.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Customer Service Rep

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee)
Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Old Navy part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere were flexible hours with school schedule, a positive and energetic work environment, great coworkers, and the discounts were also a plus.

ConsI was 'promoted' twice during my three years there - Given more responsibility and direct reports. Throughout all this, i kept being told I would get a raise, but never did.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you give someone more responsibility, ensure that their compensation is adequately in line with their role.

Depends on the Store Manager

Supervisor (Former Employee)
Fayetteville, GA

I worked at Old Navy part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat company to work for, offers reasonable opportunity for advancement. Nice employee discount and benefits for full time associates

ConsStore politics. Each store's management team and spirit varies. The first store I worked in was with a talented management team, I was promoted within three months from part time to a full time manager. This store had a fantastic supportive management team.
In the second store, the store manager promoted dissension within the management team, did not support promoting and mentoring from within her own store.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen redistricting, consider personal experience. When a regional district manager steps down to a district manager position due to restructuring, it may not always be the right choice for her or the company.
When calls are made to your hotline, listen and really keep it confidential! It takes a lot of courage to call, and some managers will retaliate.

Worked for Old Navy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Old Navy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Old Navy CEO Glenn K. Murphy. All 1,088 reviews posted anonymously by Old Navy employees.