Old Navy

3.4
1,644 Reviews

Old Navy President & CEO Gap, Inc. Glenn K. Murphy
Glenn K. Murphy

Pros
  • You also receive generous discounts from Old Navy, Gap and Banana Republic (in 103 reviews)

• The staff is fun to work with and there is an incredible employee discount (in 138 reviews)

Cons
  • Performance is based mostly of off how many Old Navy credit cards you sell (in 137 reviews)

• Must know how to prioritize your time to achieve work-life balance along with respective DOR (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Great!

Former Employee - Old Navy Sales Associate in Hadley, MA
    Former Employee - Old Navy Sales Associate in Hadley, MA

I worked at Old Navy part-time (more than a year)

Pros

As a single mom putting herself through college, management was very understanding of my time. The Managers I was fortunate to work with were very good at their jobs and very good with their employees. I couldn't have asked for a better team of managers. I've worked a lot of places and Old Navy was, by far, the best place I ever worked. I learned a lot of great skills and improved my fashion sense.

Cons

Black Friday!!! While I loved being busy that day, getting ready for that day took its toll on everyone and by the day of even one of the managers got snippy with each other.

I don't know if there really is a way to improve the stress level and anxiety level leading up to and including Black Friday. It is kind of a part of the job, but if there is a way to improve that stress level, especially on the managers so they aren't snapping at the employees the day of, that would make the Black Friday experience a little easier on everyone.

Mostly positive with some store management issues.

Current Employee - Associate in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in Albany, NY

I have been working at Old Navy part-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are plenty of opportunities for advancement, a team environment, and a fast pace. The store managers are friendly and always willing to help you understand a task.

Cons

While it is pleasant to see so many people receive opportunity for advancement, the individuals who sometimes receive them are not qualified. Employees not trained in all aspects of the store work as management and will readily admit they don't know how to do things outside of their field. Most employees only make minimum wage and are only given four hour shifts.

Old Navy Seasonal Employees

I have been working at Old Navy part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It was easy getting hired

Cons

pay was very low, hours were unpredictable, too many chiefs not enough indians

A lot of mis-communication, disappointing overall

Former Employee - Seasonal Staff Position, Holiday Staff, Temporary Work in Louisville, KY

I worked at Old Navy

Pros

They immediately signed me on two days after my interview.
    Starting pay was between $8.25 to $9.00 per hour.
    Began with steady hours the first 2 weeks.
    Was a flexible schedule.

Cons

Had to attend several 'pre-start to job' courses to gear you up for the position. These were poorly recorded videos, they didn't really address how to interact with customers or deal with aspects of the position.
    After my first 2 weeks the schedule I had hoped to keep was cut in half, I barely went in after that for even one day a week.
    I "thought" I was hired as a sales associate, with room to learn on the sales floor and cashiering. Instead I was literally sent to the changing rooms area. I spent every shift there, under a blaring loud speaker. I was never ever able to complete my task of folding the mountain (it literally came to my knees) of clothing and getting it ready to be stocked back on the sales floor. They always had a 'family' changing room blocked off with piles of clothing up to my knees - it never was properly attending to or put back on the floor in a timely manner.
    The managers (I had two) had very poor communication skills. Between them both unable to decide on my actual working hours and shifts, I went from a nice 12 hours a week to barely 4 hours every two weeks. When I left my position, since it was a seasonal job, they had 'lost' my last pay check. Someone spent 30 minutes finding it in the back - I highly suspect they honestly had to print it out. And only one manager knew of my departure date, the other still had me listed for rare hours on their schedule.

Better communication between management and staff. Be honest about what the position will cover. Had I been told "we need someone to fold clothing for that shift" I would have declined - but other more shy staff perhaps would have excelled in such a position. They needed to seriously address the lack of hours for seasonal, I understood regular staff got the main hours - but I felt lied to when they were cut and I had been told it would be 12 a week.

Overworked and under utilized.

Current Employee - Old Navy Sales Associate in Hyannis, MA
    Current Employee - Old Navy Sales Associate in Hyannis, MA

I have been working at Old Navy

Pros

When I first stared the SM was very understanding of my restricted schedule, hiring me for shipment/ product placement.

Cons

But later I was re- assigned to facilities ( despite my 13 years retail experience) when I expressed both a diminishing self image and desire to no longer to facilities I was told by two members of management that I was put on facilities to guarantee my hrs and prevent me from becoming " one of those people who are here for 6 hrs a week" ...... But that happened anyway.... ( two three hr shifts a week) .
         I have also submitted ideas to management which were ignored and then used in Later weeks used after a "managers meeting" ( mind you no store meeting since I been here (August )
        When I come in I usually delegate my own work and decide what I will be doing for the entire day with very little management interaction throughout/during the day , often times when new management is present they're not sure what to even do with me and I end up deciding on my own and they just agree and go with it which to me is not management.
        Most recently I suggested to my manager that we reapply sensors that have been removed from items that have been returned to which she said it's not worth it in my opinion it's always worth it to counteract loss. But what do I know after 13 years of retail with management assistant management and keep holding obviously not as much as them.

1.) Become well versed in all aspects of your store, not just what your job title entailed.
    2.) stop taking pride in mediocrity
    3.) listen to your employees, instead of belittling them.
    4.)PUT THE RIGHT PERSON IN THE RIGHT JOB (we don't use toilet bowl cleaner to clean the windows)
    5.) Actually teach unseasoned employees WHAT customer service is and how to execute. (Instead of just saying be approachable customer service customer service customer service )

It was standard, but the hours and the salary was bad

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Old Navy part-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you need time to go to school and you just want to work part-time , they will give you very little hours to work a week. No need to have any previous work experience, and the job is easy.

Cons

It's horrible to work at costumer service. Management is not much sometimes management is not understandable of school schedule.

Be more aware that most of your employees are young and the benefits of working for this company is not enough to keep their interest on the job

Decent

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Old Navy

Pros

Discount was good. Benefits solid.

Cons

Every holiday will inspire you to stab a fork in your eye.

People at GAPINC/Old Navy care.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Old Navy full-time

Pros

- upper management does not micromanage
    - proper training
    - managers from other stores support each other

Cons

- many more the managers/leadership started at old navy as a sales associate, so they as managers, they do not understand retail outside of Old Navy
    - managers are cliquey
    - Old Navy is the Walmart of clothing stores. Many of the customers are frugal and size XXL

- hire more externals to balance all the internal promotions
    - Old Navy HQ retail operations should really allocate more hours for floorsets and sales coverage

Fun place to work

I have been working at Old Navy part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very flexible with hours
    Very friendly management

Cons

hours are very variable during slow periods
    no full time unless your management

Yikes

I worked at Old Navy

Pros

Coworkers
    Pay is okay for hs students
    Discounts
    That's about it

Cons

Everything else...literally!
    This place is toxic, well, the location I were at was toxic. Customers are rude and expect you do be their slave while they're shopping.

Provide proper training, schedule ppl for when they are actually available, and get off your high horse.