Old Navy Reviews

3.3
1,336 Reviews

Old Navy President & CEO Gap, Inc. Glenn K. Murphy
Glenn K. Murphy

Pros
  • You also receive generous discounts from Old Navy, Gap and Banana Republic (in 90 reviews)

• The staff is fun to work with and there is an incredible employee discount (in 120 reviews)

Cons
  • you will only become a cashier if you get customers to open old navy credit cards (in 123 reviews)

• They don't offer any unpaid time off or paid benefits to part time employees (in 60 reviews)

More Highlights

Great!

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Old Navy part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Flexible scheduling
    -Happy atmosphere
    -Great dress code
    -Not too hard of tasks

Cons

-Low pay
    -Weird/inconsistent hours
    -Disadvantage: lots of people working so less hours, even as part-time
    -Slow business, get bored easily.

-Allow it to be easier to move up in the rankings through management, etc.

no work life balance

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager of Merchandising  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager of Merchandising in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Old Navy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

employee discount 25% off, discount at the gap and Banana rep

Cons

too many competing priorities. 1 weekend off per month, opened on Thanksgving day no time to spend with family, opens everyday except christmas.

create more positions in the stores so that management is not stress out

Good First Job Experience-Sales Associate Training Coach

Former Employee - Sellebrity Coach  in  Cape Girardeau, MO
    Former Employee - Sellebrity Coach in Cape Girardeau, MO

I worked at Old Navy part-time for more than a year

Pros

Learned the ins and outs of customer service
    Decent managers

Cons

Pay sucks
    Raises are very small
    Training is minimal
    Favorites played in promotion/special activity oppodtunities

Remember who your hard workers are. Forgetting someone who had worked there for over 2 years for a person that was there for 6 months is ridiculous.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent part-time gig

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Mira Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mira Mesa, CA

I worked at Old Navy part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours
    Close to home, so short commute
    Discounts on clothes
    Work wasn't too difficult/strenuous

Cons

Made barely over minimum wage, wage raises were minimal
    Mind numbing, repetitive, boring work
    If you are not a people-person, customer service is not a good fit for you- lots of dealing with dumb people.
    Stop trying to sell the Old Navy Card!

Realize your workers are part-time, minimum-wage workers. They're not looking to make a career out of this, just to cover the bills. Factor this into your motivation efforts.

It's just okay, it was a job

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Hamden, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hamden, CT

I have been working at Old Navy part-time

Pros

Met great people
    Super nice managers except one
    Super flexible
    Great discount

Cons

Not many hours if you don't sell old navy cards
    Pay is minimum wage
    If the store isn't making money that evening then you may have to leave early
    Stand on your feet all shift

Nothing to say I personally didn't like working at old navy but if you don't mind putting back clothes and folding clothes all day or being behind a register then go for it

Fun Environment, but that's about all you get

Current Employee - Sellebrity  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sellebrity in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Old Navy part-time for more than a year

Pros

In my opinion Old Navy has great standards, and tries its best to stay current (in regards to trends, news, social activism, and gender and race equality). The training is pretty good. I've been cross-trained in pretty much all areas of the store. The schedules are flexible and the people are friendly.Employee discount is great across all Gap Inc. brands.

Cons

The customers are a pain. A good majority of them have some sense of entitlement that is extremely off base. The managers always side with the customers, and have more than a few times not stuck up for the associates publicly and later on privately, when it was obvious that the customer was wrong. Managers definitely have their favorites. There's too much gossip here, even among the managers and people backstab all the time. Work-life balance is super easy at my store because (surprise surprise) you don't get very many hours. No matter how long you've been working here, what experience you have been cross trained into, how many Old Navy cards you've sold and how much availability you have, you're still subjected to anywhere from 0-20 hours a week, with the possibility for 21-25 if you do really well. I get paid pretty much nothing, to do pretty much everything, which is why I have to have other jobs. There's little growth here. Every time I (or a coworker) go in for a promotion due to an open position, we pretty much are told we don't try hard enough, we aren't consistent enough, or there was someone else with more knowledge and experience. I'm sorry, but everyday is not a great day in retail. Then when that person with "more knowledge and experience" shows up, they're about as clueless as (or sometimes even know less than) us. The turnover rate at our store is very high, most people don't stay a month. Some people leave within 2-3 weeks. I've only been working here a little over a year, but in that time we've gone through 10 managers and specialists (who left due to "better opportunities") and countless "Sellebrities". This place definitely needs to change.

Put management in place who know how to run a store and foster personal and professional growth. The current ones are on ego trips and only own up to their mistakes when called out on them.

Build a management in training or mentoring program in stores. The way our store currently runs, no one is up to be a store manager or an ASM until our current ones either leave or die, and seeing how neither of those are probably going to happen soon, it'll be a long time coming. I should be able to go to my manager and say "hey, I know you're busy but I'd like to learn the ropes of becoming a manager." They should acknowledge that their people actually want to move up, and are dedicated to becoming something greater in their company.

GIVE US MORE HOURS!

Pay us more for the work we do and show more appreciation. It's great that next year the Old Navy min. wage is going up to $10, but that's not much to live off of, unless you work full time. Even then, depending on what state you live in, it's just enough money monthly to get by. We're only shown appreciation when we either get Old Navy cards or our market leader chews our store management out and pretty much makes them show their appreciation,which in my opinion is pretty fake of management to do so.

Store employees great, company stinks!

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Panama City Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Panama City Beach, FL

I have been working at Old Navy part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you like to stay busy with lots of work to do, and the company adding more every day without adding payroll, this is the place for you.

Cons

Company pays a lot of lip service about integrity, but will steal your raises and benefits without a second thought. Worked here 16 years and that's what they did to me after misleading me for over a decade.

Learn the definition of integrity. It does not include lying to your "hearted" sellebrities, nor stealing from them. Spend less time and money talking about how much you value your employees, spend more showing them. Not one word about Labor Day? Really?!? It's actually exactly what I've come to expect from our executives.

I worked as a sales associate at Old Navy for 2 years.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Old Navy part-time for more than a year

Pros

There were great opportunities to meet new friends throughout college. The company worked around your schedule, for the most part.

Cons

Employee turnover (sales associates & management)

Provide opportunities for current employee to advance in the company.

Welcoming environment with a lot of nice people.

I have been working at Old Navy

Pros

Lots of places to grow or move up. Management takes time to make It a fun work environment. Get place to create opportunities for customer engagement to create lifelong relationships.

Cons

Positive feedback and encouragement is far and few without something negative to go along with from upper field management. Operations has a lot of responsibility including legal guidelines, Loss Prevention, store operations, signage and marketing and being effective LOD to drive results for very little pay.

Spend a day in each position's shoes to get a better feel of the every day frustrations and challenges instead of giving negative feedback constantly.

Do not work at Old Navy

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Danbury, CT
    Current Employee - Cashier in Danbury, CT

I have been working at Old Navy part-time for less than a year

Pros

If you have good workers, it doesn't suck all that much.

Cons

Depending on the location, the management is disorganized, mean and overall sucks.

Figure out how to do promos.

Worked for Old Navy? Contribute to the Community!