Old Navy

Updated Jul 29, 2014

3.2 1,255 reviews

Old Navy President & CEO Gap, Inc. Glenn K. Murphy

Glenn K. Murphy

Pros
  • You also receive generous discounts from Old Navy, Gap and Banana Republic (in 90 reviews)

• The staff is fun to work with and there is an incredible employee discount (in 120 reviews)

Cons
  • you will only become a cashier if you get customers to open old navy credit cards (in 123 reviews)

• They don't offer any unpaid time off or paid benefits to part time employees (in 60 reviews)

More Highlights
1,255 Employee Reviews

Learning Experience

Old Navy Sales Associate (Former Employee) Mishawaka, IN

ProsThis is a great crash course for dealing with customers from all walks of life and a job that will open your eyes to what the ins and outs of retail at a very basic level are. I started this job when I was 16 and stayed for almost two years, learning a variety of retail related tasks and responsibilities. If you can handle Old Navy and the stress of a high traffic retail environment, which Old Navy is known to have, then you can handle anything in retail. Also the benefits of having a Gap and Banana Republic discount are SO generous.

ConsMy biggest issue with working here was the emphasis on pushing the credit card so heavily. A lot of the customers shopping at Old Navy have NO business getting a credit card and it is extremely uncomfortable when they don't get approved, especially if you have a long line at the register which is very likely. Another con is dealing with messy, or angry customers that will blatantly ruin an entire table you had just folded. After awhile that became expected, so again, the biggest con would be the credit card pushing.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake more realistic goals for credit card promotion- the card should sell itself. Also, as a person who enjoys the personal styling aspect of retail, train your employees better on fit, new product etc. While there was some opportunities in this area, majority of customers seemed annoyed that we were helping them, probably because we weren't actually helping because we didn't understand the selling points of the clothing. The job tends to feel like a clean up crew instead of a sales associate more often that not, and that leaves to high turnover in employees.

Work here.

Pricing Specialist (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsGreat working environment for starters.

ConsPay could be better for the work done.

Great company

Old Navy Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThe hours were great for students and the discount was also good. The coworkers and managers were also great for the most part and it was a very friendly and light hearted work environment.

ConsThe only con to me would be feeling overlooked at certain points, and the old navy card expectations were some what unrealistic.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training is needed for new associates and management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Retail Associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible hours.
    Eligible for a discount although I never received my discount card.

ConsMinimum wage.
    Only one responsibiity no versatility.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive associates more responsibilities.

Could be better, could be worse...but leaning towards "worse"

Cashier (Former Employee)

Pros- If management decides they like you, you will get a lot of hours
    - Dress code is fun and casual
    - Benefits of working in a mid-size retailer
    - Great employee discount

ConsEven compared to other retail jobs I have had, this one was definitely the bottom of the barrel. Biggest complaints:
    - Overall store/employee culture was HIGHLY competitive as the amount of hours you received were very dependent on the amount of old navy cards you could push
    - Stressful due to either being given no tasks, or an overload of tasks
    - Return and store policies were inconsistent with company policies
    - Computer/Pay system was archaic and not well done
    - "the customer is always right" attitude to the point of having to be a pushover
    - Very inflexible in terms of hours/allowing others to cover shifts

Advice to Senior Management- Don't talk bad about your employees while you are on the floor - it's very unprofessional and makes one wonder what they then must talk about when no one is around
    - Provide work schedule more than one week in advance! especially as a part time employee without a set schedule, it is very hard to plan ahead/around other jobs when you may only be notified of your shifts 3 days in advance
    - Your ability to push old navy cards should not be the only measure of how good an employee is

Decent for a part time job.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Kearney, NE

ProsVery easy to work here and attend school, they are understanding about student schedules. It is easy to transfer to another store if you have to go home for the summer and want to continue working.

ConsLike all retail jobs, this gets very boring very quickly. It's doing the same tasks over and over, and having to deal with unpleasant customers regularly.

Good

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThey pay a decent amount of money .

Consthe workers are a challenge to work with

Advice to Senior Managementfix it

No hours, dead store..

Old Navy Sales Associate (Former Employee) McAllen, TX

ProsIt's a job, dress code

ConsHours sucked, the sales were terrible ..

easy work

Prosflexible with school schedules, Room to pick up hours if need be.

Consholiday hours suck, sometimes can be boring

Excellent Retail Career, No Room into Corporate.

Operations Manager (Former Employee) Trumbull, CT

ProsOld navy is a great place to work, especially if you build great relationships with you management colleagues and associates. This isn't a "cookie cutter job" where your actions go unnoticed however, at least at a lower level your actions are rewarded.

ConsA wide ranging variety of employees. Expect extremes from the extremely lazy to the super efficient. Hours aren't terrible, typical retail.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management understands the roles their management teams play when it comes to revenue so they like to keep things that way. Please do not lie to your employees promising growth outside of retail brick and mortar.

Worked for Old Navy? Contribute to the Community!