Old Navy Reviews in San Francisco, CA

3.3
1,330 Reviews

Old Navy President & CEO Gap, Inc. Glenn K. Murphy
Glenn K. Murphy

Pros
  • You also receive generous discounts from Old Navy, Gap and Banana Republic (in 90 reviews)

• The staff is fun to work with and there is an incredible employee discount (in 120 reviews)

Cons
  • you will only become a cashier if you get customers to open old navy credit cards (in 123 reviews)

• They don't offer any unpaid time off or paid benefits to part time employees (in 60 reviews)

More Highlights

35 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Learn the essential building blocks of retail management here.

Former Employee - Merchandising Manager  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Merchandising Manager in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Old Navy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to collaborate and meet leaders from diverse retail backgrounds. Environment will challenge an individual to "think outside of the box". The associates are treated with incentives at the store level, and managers are rewarded with development and growth opportunities.

Cons

Fast paced environment- especially during holidays, special events, and weekends. Must know how to prioritize your time to achieve work-life balance along with respective DOR.

Typical retail job

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Vacaville, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Vacaville, CA

I have been working at Old Navy part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible with schedule, lots of hours to give. Easy to switch shifts with other associates

Cons

Low pay, cheap company. If you're down for 10-15 cent raises once a year, this is your company

Keep an eye on Old Navy 5704. HR needs to come in. Old Navy is a store, not a church.

Was a Great place to work, BUT that's slowly changing

Former Employee - Production Director  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Production Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Old Navy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Big company with great support. The people are awesome and want to do a great job. Everyone is smart and driven and it pushed you to do your best work and learn tons!!!! World class sourcing team and you learn a lot of strategy and higher level things even as you work your way up the organization.

Cons

Leadership within Old Navy is very focuses on being #1 and people development is being put aside. You are seeing less and less leaders that really care about their teams and that work to nurture them to greatness. Process at times comes before common business sense and as you are working to drive your depts it can easily get in the way. WAY TOO POLITICAL!!!!! there should be a balance in managing up and doing your job but at Old Navy you spend more than 50% of your time managing up which distracts you from your job.

People are important and make a company. this should be the #1 focus. then and only then will Old Navy be #1 again. because without the people, leaders will not be able to take the company to great heights. 2nd bit of advise. Leaders should be people developers and decisions should be made based on multiple sources not just the manager. that is only one persons opinion and it takes a team to assess performance not just one person (no matter title)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Long term experience

Former Employee - Director  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Old Navy full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Opportunities to move into my different functional areas and gain broad experience in a fast pace environment. Culture encourages and mentors on critical thinking.

Cons

Politics can be very consuming. When business is tough there is a lot of dog-eat-dog behavior which does not set a good leadership example.

Make sure you spend as much time reviewing upper management leadership and how they lead their team as you do with middle and lower management.

Pro Old Navy

Current Employee - Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Old Navy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company to work for with career growth opportunities

Cons

A lot of movement within the company can lead to having quite a bit of management change in a short amount of time.

Working here is good for a part-time job.

Current Employee - Sellebrity - Logistics Team  in  Colma, CA
    Current Employee - Sellebrity - Logistics Team in Colma, CA

I have been working at Old Navy part-time for less than a year

Pros

It is fun to work with customers and hours are flexible.

Cons

Management is unappreciative and rude.

This has more to do with the store manager. I understand she has a store to run, but her attitude towards her employees is terrible. She expresses dissatisfaction with everything that the employees do. She is rude to the workers and if she is unhappy with the quality of the work, she expresses it in front of everyone, rather than in private, creating resentment and anger among her employees. Again, I understand that as a leader, she must act in a certain way that ensures that the store runs smoothly. I believe a manager has to lead by example, but her attitude towards everyone that works for her, makes us not want to work to the best of our ability.

Overall positive experience

Former Employee - Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Old Navy full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Culture - promotes diversity, good community focus. International growth and opportunities that come with that for some. Product is improving/ good value.

Cons

Leadership can be overly reactive. Need to better leverage practices and information across brands and mitigate politics to get things done.

Continue focus on right product

Pretty good for a retail corporation.

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Old Navy full-time for more than a year

Pros

For my first job I received ample training and cross-functinal project opportunities. I also loved my manager, which is almost never the norm in retail

Cons

Very low pay and limited/minimal opportunities for horizontal and vertical movement.

If someone (like yours truly) exceeds their annual goals and loves your brands, promote them and help them grow! Such a waste to delay growth from within.

Company slowly digging its own grave by being pushy on its associates.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Old Navy part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic discounts.
    Love my team!
    Can move up with time, luck, and some good ol' brown nosing.

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals.
    Pressure to push for credit cards.
    More "on-call" rather than part-time.
    Often relying on picking up shifts during the slow months.
    Frequent transfers of managers. Once you get acquainted, they're off to another store.
    Pressure to not get another job, although there is never enough hours on payroll to give everyone at least 15 hrs a week.

Stop fighting with one another and competing for each other's jobs.
    Show your associates appreciation.
    Allow everyone an opportunity for growth.

Just when it seems too good to be true, it usually is.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, CA

I worked at Old Navy part-time for more than a year

Pros

-25% Discount
    they work around your schedule
    - great work environment (when around the co workers and customers, not necessarily the management)

Cons

-employees under 18 only get scheduled two days out of the week, which would be saturdays and sundays
    -constant change in management
    - you will only become a cashier if you get customers to open old navy credit cards
    -They DO NOT live up to their standards

there will always be favoritism at every job but it isn't fair that the favorite employees tend to take all the hours. It's not fair to the employees that actually work hard. there are usually 75 + employees in one location, people cannot live off of 12-16 hours a week! I was a high school student at the time but many other employees left because of the fluctuation of hours.

Worked for Old Navy? Contribute to the Community!