Old Republic Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
1.9
Al Zucaro

1. Decentralized insurance holding company.

Pros

Many moving parts to analyze.

Cons

Sometimes insurance business moves very slowly.

RUN. This place is awful.

Former Employee - State Filing Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - State Filing Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Old Republic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location. You can get away with not working hard. I heard many employees watch TV. This place is a joke/dumb and if that's what you're looking for - this place is for you!

Cons

- Salary is a joke. This is not a place for an educated individual with experience. - They'll hire anyone - meaning that you'll work next to a theater major who, at the age of 33, finally gave up on his dream of being an actor and is now learning how to work at a desk job for the first time in his life - or - a girl who comes into work bragging about how many girls she fought with that weekend. Those are the kind of temps that walk around the building. Prepare yourself. - No room for negotiations - very "take it or leave" attitude. - Sexism is alive and doing well in this building. I was making less than my male coworker despite him not finishing college yet. - Google this building's address and "terrorism threat" - despite this being on the news, the company withheld information from its employees, never commented on the threat, and asked informed employees not to talk about what they've seen on the news. - No one likes to work here and everyone's looking for a way out. It's actually kinda funny. I was told by coworkers right away to get some work experience and leave. - No social culture, no special perks. - If you're a non exempt make sure you clock in on time - you get in trouble for being a minute late. - I was given 5 days PTO when I first started in December 2013. Who does that? Please do not work here.

Advice to Management

I've already said all I have to say to my managers throughout my time at old republic. The CEO will continue to employee his buddies to be on the board and he will continue to smoke cigars on the top floor. Can you blame him? He makes millions and doesn't do anything. There is no way that this company is going to be thrive in a few years - take your stock out of this company immediately! Runnnnnnn!!

3. Paralyzed by red tape

I have been working at Old Republic full-time

Pros

Stable over the long run.

Cons

Micromanaged by upper management and all decisions large and small must go through CEO.

Advice to Management

Empower your workforce.

5. It's been awhile...worked there in 2004

Current Employee - Within Corporate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Within Corporate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Old Republic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was able to help out in another department and the experience helped me find a new job with another company.

Cons

Very corporate and conservative. Not big on communication with the company as a whole. Not everyone had a computer and/or email and internet.

Advice to Management

Loosen up.

It was good for the experience.

Current Employee - Receptionist in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Old Republic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co workers and work environment.

Cons

The chances for someone to grow within the company is probably slim to none.

Advice to Management

Need more structure.

Miserable place to work

I have been working at Old Republic full-time

Pros

The location is okay. Near lots of public trans.

Cons

You know the culture at OR is broken when the first thought you have when you see the lone 5-star review is "Someone was paid to write that." Every day I wonder, What does HR do? It's certainly not administering employee reward programs, of which there are none. It's just amazing how poorly people treat each other here and get away with it. Using just one example, there is a person in Legal who shouts, threatens, back-stabs, connives, lies, cheats, insults, leaves juvenile notes everywhere...essentially, she's the passive-aggressive nightmare you thought existed only on One Life To Live. HR has known about her abusive antics for years, yet they do nothing. I can't help wondering what kind of...ahem..."arrangement" she has with her boss that allows her to keep working here. I spend more time trying to avoid people like her than I spend doing my job, and that's sad. I feel that if I stopped showing up for work, no one would notice for two weeks. People are so disconnected and unfriendly. I don't even know how to describe the culture. Calling it a vacuum almost seems generous.

Advice to Management

Why bother? No one is listening.

Get out before complacency dumbs you down.

Former Employee - Actuarial in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Actuarial in Chicago, IL

I worked at Old Republic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Location. Used to be good stability, but for the last 4 years, see Cons.

Cons

HR turns the other way when evidence of temper tantrums and profanity from a department head was presented. Promotion works if you sleep with the boss. Senior management believes in the sugar coating their department heads tell them.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the blatant lack of ethics of your AVPs.

9. Sad and WEIRD

I have been working at Old Republic full-time

Pros

Good location near Metra, L, and bus lines.

Cons

The strangest company culture I've ever experienced. There is no sense of belonging here. There is no intranet, no team building (no one even uses the word "team"), no career tracks, no interaction with employees on other floors of the same building, no rewards for good performance, no social events or holiday celebrations, no communication, no...nothing. Low salaries. Lots of sexism, bad attitudes, and poor performers that have been here for 30+ years. Everything is a secret. I show up every day, do what I'm supposed to do, and go home. I've never worked anywhere so odd.

Advice to Management

Build an intranet. Make employees aware of how they can move up. Post job openings nationwide. COMMUNICATE with your employees. Sack the people with nasty attitudes who've done nothing but hold down the same chair for decades. Update the ancient IT system. Don't claim that you can't afford decent salary increases and then spend $millions on marble lobbies. Make people feel like they matter!

10. "Old boys club" feel, but decent for a starting job

Former Employee - Insurance in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Insurance in Chicago, IL

I worked at Old Republic full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great location and in a landmark building on Michigan Ave. Company is small enough (at least the Chicago office - this does not apply to OR Title) for some to be noticed and move up the ranks, if qualified. Overall, a fair, ethical company that strives to make good decisions for shareholders. Good fit for employees just starting out and looking for entry level positions.

Cons

Pay is not very competitive and bonuses are small. Culture is very conservative - the status quo is upheld. Don't expect many "perks" that other companies will provide, such as gym memberships, parking reimbursements, daycare, etc. The company is run very lean, which is a pro and a con. Company has been through a rough patch due to industry troubles - not completely its own fault.

A company that does not move forward.

I worked at Old Republic full-time

Pros

The office location; offer benefits

Cons

IT is not current; salary is low

RSS Feed </> Embed