Old Time Pottery

Updated September 5, 2014
Updated September 5, 2014
2.6

Scott Peterson

Family atmosphere, more decisions making freedom over other retailers

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Old Time Pottery full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work / life balance. Good people in upper levels of company. Merchandising and decision making freedom better than previous retailer.

Cons

Don't see in depth reports. Technology and processes are not as advanced as larger retailer.

Continue to focus on good products at great prices and remember the people that make you successful.

It was fun while it lasted

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Old Time Pottery part-time for less than a year

Pros

The employee's are very friendly, and like to make each other feel at home.
    The job in general is easy.
    The management is serious, but friendly.

Cons

Hours fluctuate.
     The pay isn't great.
    Full time is hard to get.

Worked two weeks fired over a simple thing we are all human and make mistakes !!!!!

Former Employee - Part-Time Cashier  in  Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Part-Time Cashier in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Old Time Pottery part-time for less than a year

Pros

It was okay enjoyed it at times small company and have you doing a little of everything

Cons

No training and the orientation stinks never really had anyone go over your job description nor what the job entails what they expect of you..no details or policy of what to expect from cashiers nor did they go over if your short in your drawer and what can happen ..

Mgmt needs to set up a better orientation and be explained more on the position you were hired for ... if your hired to be a cashier you need to be told about the policy if your drawer comes up short ..,I was there two weeks and on the day payroll goes in I was called into office and because my drawer came up short for 10 dollars you are automatically let go...no verbal warning no nothing ....therefore this should be explained in your orientation..they treat you like you stoled from the company !!!! I worked as a cashier at another well known company for two years and did fine...this company is not at all what you think it is...THEREFORE DONT WORK FOR THEM!!!! One day you work. Next day your fired... DONT WORK FOR THEM!!!!! Needs a lot more direct contact when hired on....as to policy's and etc I WILL NOT REFER ANYONE TO SHOP THERE OR WORK THERE!!!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

I worked at Old Time Pottery full-time for less than a year

Pros

Customers respect the stores and they are easy to maintain. Ample payroll and personnel to complete all tasks and keep the store up to date and customer friendly. Very positive company culture that dwells on employees strengths, not weaknesses.

Cons

Limited number of career opportunities due to the size of the company. Some of the fixtures are difficult to work with and time consuming to put together.

Open more stores in the southeastern US to create more career growth opportunities.

Easy job, poor management.

Current Employee - Head Cashier  in  Clarksville, IN
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Clarksville, IN

I have been working at Old Time Pottery full-time for less than a year

Pros

Somewhat enjoyable team, fairly flexible schedule, relatively relaxed clientele.

Cons

Mismanaged, management team constantly contradicting and undermining each other.

More concise and focused planning of day to day AND big picture goals.

An easy job for one who cares little for advancement

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Gulf Shores, AL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Gulf Shores, AL

I have been working at Old Time Pottery part-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy job if you're fast at ringing up transactions, wrapping breakables and bagging items.

Cons

Little opportunity to advance and from what I've heard pay raises leave much to be desired. We're talking 1-3%. Workers that have been there 6-8 years are yet to hit the $9/hour mark in pay. Also the store is incredibly dusty because they do not dust the shelves before putting out new merchandise. Cashiers had 4 feet of counter space removed at the District Manager's command which means we have less counter space and have to stop while ringing up a transaction to wrap and bag....highly annoying!

Management needs to follow the rules they set for everyone else and should strive to boost the morale of workers.

"Could be worse" is NOT a recommendation.

Current Employee - Customer Service  in  Merrillville, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Merrillville, IN

I have been working at Old Time Pottery part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work is reasonably simple enough, at least in concept. They're somewhat reasonable about scheduling conflicts such as a second job or college. Under our previous management, we had virtually no customer complaints and were performing wonderfully.

Cons

There is virtually zero room for advancement in the company. There is a severe issue with management promoting the people they like over people who are qualified, with virtually zero consideration given to seniority. Pay raises are atrocious. After having worked there for several years, they're still paying less than a dollar over minimum wage, with no opportunity to move from part time to full time. Cleanliness is at an all time low, with the company having eliminated the maintenance department. While previously the company was very customer oriented in its policies, they've recently cracked down severely on their return policy, disempowering their customer service and putting even more work on the shoulders of their team leaders. The location is in complete upheaval after backstabbing inner politics caused a dozen people to quit within two weeks.

Stop hiring new management and promote veteran workers. People who have been working there for over five years should not be making less than people you just hired. The midwest district manager drove our excellent store manager out of your company (and over ten employees left with him) with his Theory X, tightfisted, power-hungry practices.

GREAT

I have been working at Old Time Pottery full-time

Pros

You get to see a variety of different and unusual products throughout the year, especially the Fall and Christmas seasons.

Cons

There are not enough store location, that seems to be the biggest complaint of the customers.

none

Great merchandising experience for big box.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Old Time Pottery full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent pay for managers. Good insurance. Good place to learn merchandising in a big box environment.

Cons

Lots of hours, 10.5 hr days, sometimes 6 days a week, salary. Open on Thanksgiving. Very limited advancement opportunities.

Be more aware of what's going on in the stores with the Store Manager. You have Assistant's that are running their stores yet can't get promoted.

very negative mgmt does not appreciate employees

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Casselberry, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Casselberry, FL

I worked at Old Time Pottery part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

paid a few bills and was close to home

Cons

no advancement extreme favoritism and discrimination incompetent mgmt team

loosen up and appreciate what your boots on the ground are doing get an updated computer system and stop demeaning your employees

Worked for Old Time Pottery? Contribute to the Community!