Oldcastle Materials

Updated Jun 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Doug Black

Old Castle is great company that exemplifies how teamwork is supposed to be.

Helpdesk Analyst II (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsThe best reason to work at Old Castle is that are very patient with there employees, and the company is employee driven.

ConsThe only Con I would say about Old Castle is the changes that they make. For example, just when you learn one thing, they change it. This isn't really a Con, its actually they way things are done everywhere. We all must be innovative.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management at Old Castle is to keep on doing what you're doing.

This is a bad company to work for.

Helpdesk Analyst II (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsI learned how to better troubleshoot Microsoft Office applications. I also learned how to support mobile devices such as iPads, iPhones, Android tablets and phones. I also learned a new ticketing system.

ConsManagement seems to work against the employess. There is also in-fighting between the helpdesk and the field technicians. This company seems disorganized.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more interested in getting the job done than writing employees up.

Not very healthy

Land Manager (Former Employee) Kalamazoo, MI

ProsGood tech package (phone/computer), pay was fair but hard to earn the bonus that was based on others activities

ConsPoor vehicle reimbursement policy, management is scattered and inconsistent, not welcoming to people from outside the company

Advice to Senior ManagementOffice culture was terrible, can't expect results without giving people authority to make it happen

"responsibility without authority"

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFamily styled and fast paced work environment.
    Great benefits and compensation packages.
    Job stability
    Initiatives to learn and grow; advance in career.

ConsMultiple applications coexisitng over multiple domains.
    Helpdesk located in North Carolina

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the tremendous job!

Great place to work

Superintendent (Current Employee)

Pros"Safety first" is more than just a slogan. Good pay and benefits compared with the competitors. Huge company = many opportunities for growth, but you have to be willing to work hard for them.

ConsBeing a large company, navigating the bureaucracy is difficult and really gets old after a while.

I think they could do better for the ground guys.

Engineering Technician (Current Employee) Idaho Falls, ID

ProsGood safety program. Unsafe conditions are quick to be remedied. Decent people to work with. Insurance benefits.

ConsInsurance benefits package is not very good. Generally very short notice given for out of town work(1 or 2 days),no holiday pay, no bonus, no vacation pay. Required to sign numerous personal consent forms, release forms, and authorizations forms.

Advice to Senior ManagementConstruction projects go together different on paper than they do out in the field. A solid understanding of the processes in the field will make you better at your jobs.

Fantastic employer

ProsLarge organization with tremendous potential for growth. Many portfolio and operating companies to work with to optimize performance.

ConsMust love working in the construction materials industry to enjoy working at Oldcastle Materials.

Many many good people in a huge organization that is difficult to navigate

Staff Position - Southeastern US (Current Employee)

ProsPay, Benefits and Advancement are all better than average
    People in salaried positions are usually well taken care of even in lower positions
    Business Ethics are taken seriously
    There is a general desire by a huge majority of employees to be a classy operation

ConsHourly people are treated like cattle.
    Huge bureaucracy, when you are trying to make a change; like all other large companies
    SOME upper management are short sighted, aloof, and arrogant. Unfortunately these few folks become entrenched and those below them pay the price. They are few but troublesome and go unnoticed by the highest tier of management.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about what you are really saving or "wasting" when you layoff hourly help for the winter

I had a good experience with oldcastle material

Administrative Serv Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

Prossomething very different to do at all times

Consworking in mud and rain

Advice to Senior Managementnone at this time management was ok

Good experience

Assistant Controller (Former Employee) Harrisburg, PA

Proslots of good challenges and new projects to work on

Consnepotism runs rampant throughout the company. if you're not a VP's relative you are NOT getting promoted.

Advice to Senior Managementhire outside of the family tree

Worked for Oldcastle Materials? Contribute to the Community!