www.oldcastle.com

Updated November 22, 2014
Updated November 22, 2014
2.6

Mark S. Towe

I was prepping molds, grinder and forklift operator.

Current Employee - Grinder in Madera, CA
    Current Employee - Grinder in Madera, CA

I have been working at Oldcastle part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best reasons are that all be Learning new thing.

Cons

Not be able to learn new things.

Fast learner, good with hands and am able to make quick decision.

A more objective and educational Oldcastle review from the typical subjective and relative reviews

I have been working at Oldcastle

Pros

Anyone reading reviews about Oldcastle in this or any other forum should realize that the context, location, reviewers working position and even business operation is important and relative to these reviews. I will make an attempt to generalize on all of Oldcastle from what I know from working 12 years with this organization. Unfortunately, a lot of reviewers display their own ignorance of the structure and business operations and don't realize that they are generalizing "Oldcastle" as a whole. No one can truly rate Oldcastle unless they can claim to have worked in every P&L operation to determine a generalization of Pros and Cons.
    I will sum it up like this, in Oldcastle, you’re either a leader or a follower. The leaders are the ones that rise above their own circumstances and are able to make a successful career at Oldcastle.

Cons

Oldcastle is a subsidiary of CRH plc out of Ireland. The business model of CRH is to finance and support acquired local and regional operational leaders in the building materials industry. The operational leader’s goals are to deliver performance and growth to CRH's investors. The pro and con to CRH is that CRH has always realized that they can't successfully manage and dictate how operations should be run. CRH believes that the success of the CRH investment portfolio depends on the local operational leaders to manage their employees and local business partners. CRH has a proven success record of not managing operations behind a corporate desk in Ireland. Of course there are cases where operation managers have run amok, but in my opinion this is a classic 80/20 rule.

I would have said 12 years ago, educate your employees more on what Oldcastle is as a whole and let it be known that if someone is not satisfied in their current role in a business unit than encourage employees to seek out employment in another business unit.
    After all that being said, this is 2014 and if current or even future employees can't understand the business model and organization of Oldcastle in either breakroom discussions or the internet then so be it. Everyone needs to take ownership and figure out how to handle and manage their own career. No matter where you are, no one manager or silly performance review is the key to your personal success. I personally had a great experience during my time at Oldcastle and I won't certainly disfranchise those reviewers who don't share the same experience. So please, when reviewing Oldcastle don't be a moron and generalize the faults or failures of your regional or local operations as the standard of all Oldcastle operations without identifying specifics.

Horrible!!!!!

I worked at Oldcastle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

401k is great match, pay is ok but upper management is the ol' boys club. New members aren't allowed unless you know someone.

Cons

Too many chiefs that think they are above you. Don't care about the employees. Upper management is the ol' boys club. New members aren't allowed unless you know someone.

Maybe you wouldn't have soooo many lawsuits against you if you treated people fair. They fire people with disabilities giving other reasons as such.

Unbalanced

I have been working at Oldcastle

Pros

Easy work that is equal to pay.

Cons

Small group of people with bad attitudes.

Hold people accountable equally.

I worked at Oldcastle

Pros

Good benefits as well as salary

Cons

Oldcastle is owned by CRH out of Ireland. So making it to the top, as a US bloke, is about as likely as snow falling on a hot summer day.

Think beyond the short-term.

It's a long way to the top..

Current Employee - Customer Service
    Current Employee - Customer Service

I have been working at Oldcastle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

SOME - some co-workers are true gems, diamonds in the rough who truly care about the job at hand and really do believe that "Their is no I in team!"

Cons

Long days 10+, no lunch most days, sales and management aren't up to par, leaders let their teams take the heat instead of stepping up to the plate, travel comes out of pocket and then you are reimbursed, random mandatory Saturdays per management after working 50+ hours Mon - Fri.

Appreciate your star players, a good review means nothing if the salary is not there to back it up.

Horrible

I have been working at Oldcastle

Pros

There are no pros to working here except maybe the hlaf way decent benefits.

Cons

If you're a women it's hard to move up or be promoted even if you work constant overtime to help your department and other departments. They like to hire from outside instead of promoting from within. If you're certified on every piece of equipment in there they won't pay you the pay they should. They try to screw you over on attendance even more than before, even with overtime even if it's voluntary and no specific time to come in. And if you do get it fixed it takes forever like months. Once you're in this place and try and get another job they make it extremely hard. Do NOT I repeat do NOT get a job here

Bring back bonuses and learn how to sell our product. And you should clean out the office and hire new people ESPECIALLY the HR.

Good Old Boy Culture

I have been working at Oldcastle full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The best thing about working at Oldcastle is the lack of micromanagement. It may not be this way with all managers or supervisors but I am able to work independently.

Cons

Lack of upward mobility. Oldcastle does a lot of hiring from the outside as opposed to promoting from within.

There should be more diversity in senior management roles and more opportunities for advancement. There is also a lack of direction from leadership that many employees struggle with. Send a clear message where the comapny is headed and goals for the future. More transparency would help employees feel connected and invested in the company.

What all companies should follow.

I worked at Oldcastle

Pros

They treat employees very well, benefits are good, shop is well organized,up to date, and tools are adequate, and usually up to par.
    They treat issues fairly, are very adamant on safety issues, and well being of people, and equipment.
    In short, a very good company to work for!!

Cons

They employ a "point system".
    Which penalizes you for tardiness, absentness, etc...
    Which does end up screwing you even if you are so much as 1min. punching in. And in other ways.

Lose the point system!!
    You lost a lot of great employees because of it, including myself!

Love My Job at Oldcastle

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Oldcastle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is a place where you are given the freedom to work independently. On my team, there is honestly no micromanagement, yet transparency all the way from the bottom to the top. I really feel like I've found a home with Oldcastle.

Cons

We need to work on innovating. Our field is one that has not seen a great deal of innovation over the past several decades, and that needs to change.

Be more willing to infuse our culture with young blood. We need more youth to fill in important roles. The main reason the company may come across as one full of old-timers currently is because there is very low turnover within Oldcastle and people seem to stay forever (at least in my division). Otherwise, I honestly feel that we have great Senior Management. Keep up the good work!