Oldcastle Reviews

Mark S. Towe

1. nicoma park lumber

Former Employee - Nicoma Park Lumber
    Former Employee - Nicoma Park Lumber

I worked at Oldcastle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I need to help my wife and pay bills and take care of my kids I thank I will help the company im strong and can load and on load

Cons

I don't thank I can say a down side I will work for my boss and make him are her happy

Advice to Management

yes I would love to work my way up as any man has to better them self

2. Good place

I have been working at Oldcastle

Pros

A big company with good benefits and good people. Companies in almost every state if you was looking to move

Cons

Sometimes they work you to the bone with only a thank you or pat on the back for going over and beyond

Advice to Management

Better communication with the employees be more open to give feedback

3. Driver

I have been working at Oldcastle

Pros

Great work when there's work

Cons

Higher mangment add to the bids so we lose out on the work

Advice to Management

Drop your rates so we can be competitive if you want us to secede or close the doors

5. Local work. .early starting times, decent benefits

I worked at Oldcastle full-time

Pros

Home every night, easy work, decent benefits

Cons

Starting times vary during the night which makes it difficult to establish a sleep pattern. Too much downtime without pay.

Customer Service

I have been working at Oldcastle

Pros

Great Place to work. Pays pretty well once you receive some experience. Also room for growth to move up in the company with many divisions.

Cons

Sometimes can be very unorganized. Also to many chiefs not many Indians. So to many bosses have a say.

I left a good job for this - what did I get myself into?

Former Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Oldcastle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After my second week people complemented me on surviving with the CFO. Gained experience solving my own problems due to lack of training and cross departmental assistance.

Cons

Supervisor had no leadership skills. Ran prior 2 analysts off within their first 2 weeks. Silos within departments where information is with held in pathetic attempt to protect job. Nobody documents any of their processes which creates one man shows. The developer of their salescube left no designs so any questions about it go out to him for a consulting fee! Makes it hard in a finance role when no one can answer how they calculate sales, etc inside their own system. Upper management has unrealistic expectations of the level of effort to get up to speed on their system and is hostile towards suggestions and developments to improve processes once you are. Decentralized structure means for the several months I was there that I rarely spoke or worked with anyone other than supervisor.

Advice to Management

Improve leadership accountability for providing opportunities to succeed - this includes having the ability to train as well as an ample learning period. Document processes and share information.

Company culture is to underpay employees and not to train them

Current Employee - Quality Control Coordinator in Tracy, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Control Coordinator in Tracy, CA

I have been working at Oldcastle

Pros

Most people are really stupid and unmotivated so if you're not retarded its easy

Cons

Pay will be about half to 30 percent of a competitive wage. The company will try to screw you over at every opportunity. They do not believe in holidays and count sick time in hours not days. They will not train you, even they know if they did you would go get a better job.

Advice to Management

All of your problems are because you underpay your employees and do not invest in them people are not a raw material.

I was prepping molds, grinder and forklift operator.

Current Employee - Grinder in Madera, CA
    Current Employee - Grinder in Madera, CA

I have been working at Oldcastle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best reasons are that all be Learning new thing.

Cons

Not be able to learn new things.

Advice to Management

Fast learner, good with hands and am able to make quick decision.

A more objective and educational Oldcastle review from the typical subjective and relative reviews

I have been working at Oldcastle

Pros

Anyone reading reviews about Oldcastle in this or any other forum should realize that the context, location, reviewers working position and even business operation is important and relative to these reviews. I will make an attempt to generalize on all of Oldcastle from what I know from working 12 years with this organization. Unfortunately, a lot of reviewers display their own ignorance of the structure and business operations and don't realize that they are generalizing "Oldcastle" as a whole. No one can truly rate Oldcastle unless they can claim to have worked in every P&L operation to determine a generalization of Pros and Cons. I will sum it up like this, in Oldcastle, you’re either a leader or a follower. The leaders are the ones that rise above their own circumstances and are able to make a successful career at Oldcastle.

Cons

Oldcastle is a subsidiary of CRH plc out of Ireland. The business model of CRH is to finance and support acquired local and regional operational leaders in the building materials industry. The operational leader’s goals are to deliver performance and growth to CRH's investors. The pro and con to CRH is that CRH has always realized that they can't successfully manage and dictate how operations should be run. CRH believes that the success of the CRH investment portfolio depends on the local operational leaders to manage their employees and local business partners. CRH has a proven success record of not managing operations behind a corporate desk in Ireland. Of course there are cases where operation managers have run amok, but in my opinion this is a classic 80/20 rule.

Advice to Management

I would have said 12 years ago, educate your employees more on what Oldcastle is as a whole and let it be known that if someone is not satisfied in their current role in a business unit than encourage employees to seek out employment in another business unit. After all that being said, this is 2014 and if current or even future employees can't understand the business model and organization of Oldcastle in either breakroom discussions or the internet then so be it. Everyone needs to take ownership and figure out how to handle and manage their own career. No matter where you are, no one manager or silly performance review is the key to your personal success. I personally had a great experience during my time at Oldcastle and I won't certainly disfranchise those reviewers who don't share the same experience. So please, when reviewing Oldcastle don't be a moron and generalize the faults or failures of your regional or local operations as the standard of all Oldcastle operations without identifying specifics.

11. Horrible!!!!!

I worked at Oldcastle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401k is great match, pay is ok but upper management is the ol' boys club. New members aren't allowed unless you know someone.

Cons

Too many chiefs that think they are above you. Don't care about the employees. Upper management is the ol' boys club. New members aren't allowed unless you know someone.

Advice to Management

Maybe you wouldn't have soooo many lawsuits against you if you treated people fair. They fire people with disabilities giving other reasons as such.

RSS Feed </> Embed