Oldcastle

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark S. Towe

Good Old Boy Culture

ProsThe best thing about working at Oldcastle is the lack of micromanagement. It may not be this way with all managers or supervisors but I am able to work independently.

ConsLack of upward mobility. Oldcastle does a lot of hiring from the outside as opposed to promoting from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be more diversity in senior management roles and more opportunities for advancement. There is also a lack of direction from leadership that many employees struggle with. Send a clear message where the comapny is headed and goals for the future. More transparency would help employees feel connected and invested in the company.

Love My Job at Oldcastle

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThis is a place where you are given the freedom to work independently. On my team, there is honestly no micromanagement, yet transparency all the way from the bottom to the top. I really feel like I've found a home with Oldcastle.

ConsWe need to work on innovating. Our field is one that has not seen a great deal of innovation over the past several decades, and that needs to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more willing to infuse our culture with young blood. We need more youth to fill in important roles. The main reason the company may come across as one full of old-timers currently is because there is very low turnover within Oldcastle and people seem to stay forever (at least in my division). Otherwise, I honestly feel that we have great Senior Management. Keep up the good work!

My experience here was the worst company to ever ever ever apply to & work for.

Loader (Former Employee) Covington, GA

ProsThis company has no pros at all , just complete cons.

ConsManagement here gets 2 thumbs down period. Scott Morris and the plant manager Neal are the 2 worst managers in any job I have ever worked for period. These people here do nothing but show favoritism to only a certain few mainly the team leads. The team leads are sorry and do nothing at all but suck up to management to keep their jobs. These people don't help you when you need it the most , they don't care about the employees at all. Management is very disrespectful and feel they can talk to employees in any kind of manner like they are the employees parents. Neal breaks so many laws like working employees for full 12 hour shifts while only allowing the employees to have one 30 minute break throughout the whole 12 hour shift. That's so against the law. Hopefully someone will do some investigating into this and get these people out of management and out of their jobs period. Management treats employees like they're nothing but slaves and dogs. The pay is not worth it in my opinion only $10.00 an hour is actually lousy pay for all the hard back breaking work these people require of you. With that being said I would not recommend anyone to work for this company ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet Scott Morris & Neal out of the company out of management period. This will make working at Old Castle so much better I promise.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Slow Upward Mobility

Director (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThis company is financially stable.

ConsThis company would rather hire outside than promote from within.

Oldcastle has all the right intentions, however the treatment from leads and supervisors is unacceptable.

Production/Laborer (Former Employee) Spokane, WA

ProsFast pace work environment, opportunity for growth I feel if you can last the hostility from your leads

ConsLow pay for the expectations, Leads and supervisors verbally hostile from my experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide leadership training to all who are in foreman and lead positions, hostility and verbal abuse to your production crew will not increase production.. Attitude is contagious disease that will spread to all.

Absolute Disaster

Analyst (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsCompany pefforms well and pays a bonus based on that.

ConsMicromanagement and very primitive regarding diversity. This isn't a company to call home if you are not of a certain ethnic background. Boys club company however, it is a construction company. Worklife balance was non existent in my department. I was asked to travel, but had to cover my own expenses.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome into the

Simply put Anchor Block Sucks, poor management all the way up to the president of the NE

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCan't imagine a pro for working for Anchor/Oldcastle

ConsThere is absolutely no upper management support. Company is run through relationships as opposed to hard work and dedication. There are internal shady deals going on between departments. They have total disregard for employees, it's all a numbers game with the employees coming in last. All of the openings they are trying to fill are due to people quitting, not due to expansion.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on the sewer environment you have going on in the northeast mainly due to the Anchor influence. Anchor Block is nothing more than an anchor holding Oldcastle back.

Solid company with significant change and opportunity for the right people

Vice President of Operations (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Pros- Overall a good group of employees willing to work hard and do the right things to advance the business and take care of the customer.
    - Typically a good place for longterm employees
    - Opportunity for growth, especially if you are willing to relocate

ConsUpper management tends to be a bit cliqueish and tight with sharing of information for those not among the inner circle.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach and reward results not relationships

Decent company that is constantly evolving to stay relevant

ProsCompetitive pay and decent benefits are clearly the headliners. Locations all across the country in many different business segments is also a plus if you are willing to relocate to fill company needs.

ConsEver changing direction, this means you may have had a valuable relevant contributing role for years but the company changes direction and you are now expendable and are left hoping your connections within the company will help you land in another group.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't post and fill permanent positions that you know you will be eliminating. This is very misleading to potential employees and it's their lives that are being effected when you pull the plug on that position. This practice of trying to get full time talent with the intention of only keeping them on for say a year is horribly unethical and unfair to potential employees. Either evaluate the permanent need for that role and post it as such or use a temp agency for crying out loud. I have seen many lives effected over an extended period of time working for this company.

Great people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsPoor communication from upper management

Worked for Oldcastle? Contribute to the Community!