Olga's Kitchen

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Matt Carpenter

Very nice opportunity and still building.

General Manager (Former Employee) Troy, MI

ProsThe people are awesome. Leadership really does a good job listening and adding value to your opinion.

ConsBonuses are not there as in most other companies. Could be the economy.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed a better review system for all. Need to pay hourly employees more to be more competitive.

It was okay, it depends on what location you work.

Hostess/Server (Former Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsOlga's is a decent job. It's not the best but you make the best of it. Great first job for high school kids.

ConsWhen I was there, as long as I showed interest in the company they were willing to promote within.

Always be ready for change and support it will every new day.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsThe learning availability, change of pace, the willing to work on goals to want show successes.

ConsNot all managers support the work policies and procedures.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe all on the same issues and work together. Communicate.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Managers First

Server (Former Employee)

ProsOlga's Kitchen is a busy, casual restaurant where servers can make a decent amount of money. The food is quick to make, and easy to learn.

ConsThe majority of the managers I worked with at several different locations were either unprofessional, power hungry, or jude plain rude. I have been verbally abused by management several times. If you work a double shift, they adamantly only provide you with half off one meal and breaks are rare.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of blaming all the problems directly on your staff, take a look at yourself and evaluate whether or not you are appropriately doing your job.

Good money, that's about it

Server (Current Employee) Novi, MI

ProsGood tips, good food, that's it

ConsPoor leadership, inflexible scheduling, shady managers

Smh....

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsGreat people and managers and environment.

ConsDisorganized and crazy at times

Advice to Senior ManagementGive raises

Great place to start your carrer

Waiter (Current Employee)

ProsIt is very easy to acquire shifts, and work with flexibility. Olgas Kitchen has been very flexible with my schedule and has given me every day I need off.

ConsSome of the cons of employment at Olgas Kitchen is not getting off your shift at the scheduled time, but I do not mind since it is a great opportunity to earn extra money while I am still in High school.

Dead end job

General Manager (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsMost location are in a mall so the hours are not terrible.

ConsStruggling company, hard to move up and get promoted. Very low labor budget and hard to give good service and enhance sales.

Advice to Senior Managementupper management should re-structure the concept and try to drive in more sales.

Server

Server (Former Employee) East Lansing, MI

ProsManagement worked with me and my schedule. Was able to work my way through school while working nearly full-time

ConsConstant change in how serving process is done. Too much required dialog, which sounds contrived and impedes rapport building with customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe required dialog become cumbersome and angers customers.

Some of the greatest people on earth to work with, but one of the most stressful companies to work for.

ProsThey always have hours to give and most locations are conveniently located in malls so hours of operation are great. In my personal experience I have been extended many opportunities for growth, but declined because I only stay with this employer to get by through college. The company is always introducing new products and switching things around which is bittersweet. Not a pro for everyone, but I became very skilled in handling guest concerns and complaints because of their constant need for change in their products and services.

ConsThey have an outrageously low labor budget for very high quality expectations.
    The stress level of this job is way too high for the amount of pay you receive.
    Shifts are normally very chaotic and management is very unorganized.
    Too many operational level changes are made by upper management.
    They have a very low concern for employee welfare.
    They don't ever hire until we're desperate.
    Lack of work ownership in job duties.
    Management is always changing.
    Unstable work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementImagine if all of your employees weren't there to do what you needed of them and you were stuck by yourself to operate a restaurant. You wouldn't be able to operate. Now imagine if all of your employees were there operating your restaurant and you weren't. They could operate the restaurant, just maybe less efficiently. Managers need to have more employee concern. You can't expect great customer service if you can't provide a great work environment for your employees. I think upper management should reevaluate their middle managers and how they're interacting with their employees.

Worked for Olga's Kitchen? Contribute to the Community!