Olin

Olin Chairman, President, and CEO Joseph D. Rupp

Joseph D. Rupp

2012-2013

Bullet Operator (Former Employee) East Alton, IL

Prosnice benefits and retirement plans.

Conslost job, due to company moved out of state

Advice to Senior Managementgoing to miss you

Quality compromised by quantity has changed the face of Winchester Ammunition.

QVC (Current Employee) East Alton, IL

ProsGreat pay and above average benefits kept me coming back each week. Olin offered educational assistance to its employees in East Alton which was an added benefit as well.

ConsThe forced overtime, poor management, and lack of respect towards dedicated and hard working employees has made working for Olin Winchester a miserable existence. If your in the click you got it made, but get on the other side of the fence and there is hell to pay whether your a responsible employee or not. A "hostile work environment" in a Machine Shop, what does that say for this company?

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect and value every employee in our organization.

a very irresponsible company that has no sense of profit for dedicated employees or share holders

50 Caliber Adjuster (Current Employee) East Alton, IL

Prossupporting law enforcement, and military ammunition

Consno bonuses, no profit sharing, no vacation for 10 yrs. extreme excessive overtime

Advice to Senior Managementdon't let your desires or greed overcome your integrity and don't bite the hand that feeds your profits (employees)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Living in the past...

Senior Engineer (Former Employee) East Alton, IL

ProsFairly secure
    One of the larger employers in the area

ConsSlow to change
    For last 20 years, executive salaries always increasing, all others decreasing

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce executive salaries so that they are in line with the size of the company.

Overall my experience at Olin has been ok but a couple of departments I have worked in the past were bad.

Hourly (Current Employee) East Alton, IL

ProsAbove average pay with good health insurance and 401k with company match. Not a bad place to work (depending on department).

ConsAlot of overtime. Three shift rotation on most jobs. Working conditions department specific. Company relocation to Oxford, Ms. (lower wages). Most jobs in East Alton, IL will at some point be lost due to the relocation.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to ideas and suggestions from employee's.

OLIN rocks

Visualizer (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGood people, good work, good environment, benefits
    I've learned so much at OLIN. I really love my coworkers and believe that we are doing important work at OLIN. Everyone has room to grow and it's a dynamic and interesting place.

ConsOccasional to consistent long hours, demanding expectations, and critical thinkers (if you want to consider those things as cons)

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is not the appropriate place for this advice.

High and dry at Winchester

Adjuster (Current Employee) East Alton, IL

ProsGood pay and above average benefits, many employment locations available. Potential for increased profits and growth via improved leadership.

ConsPoor managerial approach from middle management and up. Very confrontational, little to no teamwork between salary and hourly personnel and union. Little to no accountability across all employees. Senior management places little to no value on employee well being, despite constant espousing of said values. Deep rooted mistrust between senior management and hourly employees has lead to a very antagonistic relationship and unpleasant work environment for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove into the 21st century, you treat your employees as an expense but they are really your biggest and best investment. Great employees are made with great leadership not found and great employees can become poor employees with mismanagement. Match your actions to your stated values.

Management could be whole lot better.

Material Supply Operator (Former Employee) East Alton, IL

ProsGood insurance and benefits, good pay

ConsWorking conditions are terrible. Management issues

They demand full support and cooperation, but give minimal feedback and provide no communication to employees.

Production Supervisor (Former Employee)

ProsSalary is average, but the overtime demands and overbearing. There is NO balance for work life and home life. If you wish to succeed you have to drink the kool-aid and devote yourself fully.

ConsThe only commitment Olin makes is to its shareholders, and short term balance sheets. Their is little to no respect for the employees. Upper management demands respect, but doesn't earn it or deserve it. The culture is best described as "straight out of the gulag".

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees, and they will surprise you. They ARE YOUR BEST ASSETT. Don't preach values and ethics unless you are committed to them. Don't expect more from anyone else than you yourself are willing to give.

Worked for Olin? Contribute to the Community!