Olive Garden Italian Restaurants Reviews

569 reviews filtered by
3.2
Olive Garden Italian Restaurants CEO Clarence Otis, Jr
Clarence Otis, Jr

Pros
  • Food discount, managers care for the employees, somewhat flexible schedule (in 36 reviews)

• Flexible hours with incentives to cross-train/advance in position (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much work with unlimited soup and salad for under 10 (in 25 reviews)

• Depends on restaurant, the work life balance could get skewed (in 10 reviews)

1. A great introductory serving job, or even just a great job in a pinch!

Former Employee - Server in Brown Deer, WI
    Former Employee - Server in Brown Deer, WI

I worked at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I would say the best part about serving at Olive Garden is that they really do try and improve your skills as a server. They encourage lots of sales at the table, they actually train you to serve before the job regardless of whether or not you've had serving experience. It was funny how much I learned even though I had served previously.

Cons

They were a bit rude to the servers, which I understood because I served in a somewhat bad area. That being said, there is no excuse & I expect a certain level of friendliness regardless of whether or not an employee is messing up (maybe I'm soft). My BIGGEST problem though was selling their crappy product, sorry to say it but I could not keep pretending the food & wine was good there. It's just dressed up fast food.

I would say don't hire ghetto people but that's not always an option. Honestly, just step the food up. Step the wine up. Even step the graphic design of the menu up, & have the servers wear ties again. I feel like Olive Garden has regressed as a restaurant in the past decade as a response to other restaurants treading into the "fine dining with fast service" spectrum.

Good corporate structure.

Former Employee - Server in Auburn, AL
    Former Employee - Server in Auburn, AL

I worked at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Darden restaurants provide a solid corporate structure for employees in terms of training, branding, benefits, and career advancement opportunities. Overall a good a reliable company to work for, regardless of the level of employment.

Cons

Generally working in the restaurant industry is difficult. Its a service job and therefore your compensation is based on the whims of others. This is not something specific to Olive Garden, but just the industry overall.

I have worked in a great location, and then visited others that were not up to par. I think its important to maintain the strength of brand across all locations in order to created a trusted and reputable company.

3. It has been interesting.

Current Employee - Server in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Server in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Flexible Schedules! Friendly work environment. Great place to work!

Cons

People are douches! Being a tipped employee is difficult when you make 2.13 hourly. Many people treat you as if you are a servant instead of a waitress.

5. Wonderful company

I have been working at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants

Pros

Benefits and friendly. They care about their employees and customers. The interview process was easy and not stressful. I loved working for them

Cons

None at all that I can think of. It's a great place to work really. It is clean and guidelines are reasonable.

None

6. High-Paced exciting Job

Former Employee - Server in Laredo, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Laredo, TX

I worked at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good money (if you're a good waiter), some say that the customer's are the worst part but I love it when I give them great service and they compliment my service and give me a huge tip.

Cons

very stressful, some waiters were rude and always showed a negative attitude

7. Server

Current Employee - Food Server in Voorhees, NJ
    Current Employee - Food Server in Voorhees, NJ

I have been working at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for and managers are great. All of the staff are like family.

Cons

You are limited to only 3 tables, and on parties of 8 or more (even kids) you need to split it with another server. Which gratuity is also not included, so you could get a tip of $10 from a party of 8 and have to split that tip with another server. You also need to make the unlimited salads, breadsticks, and soups yourself. There is no "salad" line cook.

8. GM Was The Worst GM I've Ever Encountered

Former Employee - Server in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great Tips And Great Co-Workers

Cons

GM Was More Of A Dictator Than A GM

Lighten Up A Bit

9. Great atmosphere to gain experience!

Former Employee - Hostess in Saint Joseph, MO
    Former Employee - Hostess in Saint Joseph, MO

I worked at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants

Pros

The management really cares about the company and its employees. Great training program and opportunities to grow within the company.

Cons

Can be a drama filled work place if management does not set boundaries.

10. It was a job. good for college students

Current Employee - Bus Person in New Braunfels, TX
    Current Employee - Bus Person in New Braunfels, TX

I have been working at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants part-time (more than a year)

Pros

the hours were flexible and the pay is great for non wait staff

Cons

the days can be rather long with little to no breaks

11. it was awesome.

I worked at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants part-time (more than a year)

Pros

the people were the best. 20 word minimum is ridiculous, now i am skeptical of all the other reviews here.

Cons

a lot of people probably just wrote things to fill in space so they could get full access on this site, jeez.

ive lost a lot of confidence in this site, thats a shame. oh well its okay its better than a lot of other ones.

Olive Garden Italian Restaurants Photos