Olive Garden Italian Restaurants

Updated September 30, 2014
3.2

Olive Garden Italian Restaurants CEO Clarence Otis, Jr
Clarence Otis, Jr

Pros
  • flexible schedule, very good training for serving at restaurants (in 32 reviews)

• Flexible hours with incentives to cross-train/advance in position (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much work with unlimited soup and salad for under 10 (in 21 reviews)

• You can only have a 3-table section maximum (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

A well run ship on chaotic waters.

Former Employee - Culinary Assistant
    Former Employee - Culinary Assistant

I worked at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Darden sets up a fantastic system to run their restaurants. The numbers at the end of the year say it all, this place is professional... at least on the books.

Cons

It's so easy to say everything that ever went wrong was the managers' fault... partially this is true, but I think too many of their managers feel this overwhelming pressure from above that causes unnecessary stress that in turn leaks all over their employees. Some of my most stressful years were in this restaurant because of that. I knew too many managers in my time there that lived in fear of what their regional or even sometimes general manager would say or do.

Your job is NOT easy, no matter what some of the employees say. That said, remember that they know almost nothing about what you go through with your management and above.

Very busy, fast paced environment.

Current Employee - Server  in  Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Server in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants full-time for less than a year

Pros

You have room to move up within company.

Cons

Having energy afterwards to do the job.

Continue to support your employees.

I have loved my 6 years working at Olive Garden.

Current Employee - Culinary Professional  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Culinary Professional in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible schedule, great benefits (medical, dental, vision, life), advancement opportunities. The people I work with are fantastic. The regular guests are so sweet and I love the opportunities to go out into the community. We support so many local charities, food pantries,etc. High schools are given donations of pasta for sports teams, etc.

Cons

Can be asked to work extra shifts. Not everyone does their fair share and the reliable ones are always looked to for extra help.

Start holding everyone to the same standards.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great job, flexible hours (I like to work as much as possible)Management is well trained and co-workers are team players

Current Employee - Busser  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Busser in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I am able to pick up a lot of hours, caring management, great co-workers, 50% off meals.

Cons

Change the tip out ratio for busier.

It pays the bills but expect to work your butt off.

I have been working at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants part-time for more than a year

Pros

Darden is a huge company and owns so many restaurants. I like that I have the option to transfer to another restaurant.
    They also have an employee website where you are able to trade shifts or pick up shifts. It's really convenient.

Cons

I worked in one of their "experiment" stores so we were constantly having rules changed and I hated the inconsistency of it.
    There was a time where the managers were required to hand out more write ups and nearly every employee in the building got a write up in a two month period.
    No server, bartender, host, or busser is full time. They are extremely watchful of your hours.

Great company to work for, but very different depending on the management

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants part-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of work hours, gives you experience in providing customer service, very fast-paced. Fun work environment, one of the Olive Gardens I worked at we would have competitions during work between different service team pairs.

Cons

Stressful, not everything is under your control, different restaurants are led very differently depending on the management

I worked at two different Olive Gardens, one in Texas the other in another state. They were extremely different, as one was definitely more strict, efficient, and dedicated to following certain rules and guidelines while the other was more laid back.

host / to go specialist

I have been working at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants for more than a year

Pros

can make really good tips this is a good first job for college students they work around schedules

Cons

sometimes long hours sometimes no hours

talk to employees better and look at everyones point of view

Unlimited Breadsticks Yo!

I worked at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants

Pros

Plastic bag meals are super easy to cook.

Cons

Got sooo sooo sooooooo fat.

Great place to work at

I worked at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants

Pros

Impossible to get fired there

Cons

Impossible to get fired there

Can't complain.

Current Employee - Line Cook  in  Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Line Cook in Savannah, GA

Pros

As long as you're getting your orders out in time, it's a very fun and loose atmosphere. I started at $10.50/hr and now I'm at $10.80 after a year. You're not going to get rich working here, but it's great for getting by for the moment.

Cons

Some of the managers are jerks.

Don't be an jerk.

Olive Garden Italian Restaurants Photos

Worked for Olive Garden Italian Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!