Oliver Wyman

Oliver Wyman Reviews

Updated Apr 7, 2014

Oliver Wyman CEO John P. Drzik

John P. Drzik

Pros:
  • "Great work life balance, with interactive open culture"
    in 10 reviews
  • "great people anda lot of learning opportunities"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "No serious checks & balances regarding work/life balance"
    in 28 reviews
  • "repetitive, too much travel, long hours, no support or mentorship"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great culture

Engagement Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oliver Wyman full-time for more than 5 years

Pros1. The laid-back, open culture - casual dress-code applies every day, and first year consultants are expected to deal with Partners from day 1
2. Variety of work - even within our industry specialist groups there is an amaxing variety of work
3. Quick path to Partnership - 6-10 years is the norm

ConsWork-life balance - as well as traveling 4 days a week, most weeks, work is anywhere between 45 and 75 hours a week on top of that

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make the place too corporate

Bad experience

Associate (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Oliver Wyman full-time for more than a year

ProsTop-tier management consulting experience. Kids who are hired in analyst roles are recruited from top colleges in the country (Harvard, Penn, etc). Orientation/training at the junior level is world-class.

ConsFirm does not know what to do with MBAs or Associate-level and above hires. They are put into the same training as analysts, when they should be at a different level. "Managing-out" process is non-existent, and when projects dry up, Associates and above are given a two-week notice as if they are in industry/corporate.

HLS vertical is doing fine, but MTE is suffering and CMT is almost dead. Again, this doesn't affect the analysts since they are generalists, but senior folks suffer. Partners don't want to share revenue and do lots of politics, so little chances to be staffed in different verticals or geographies.

Some partners cannot use PowerPoint, or any of the MS Office tools for that matter. Some of them are even running their consulting firms on the side which is shocking. The funny thing is that they have actually listed their own firms on their LinkedIn site along with the current OW employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementWriting a HBS case is not going to fix the brand. Cleaning house will... John D is a great CEO, but some of the partners (esp non-HLS) need to go.

Typical Strategy Consulting Firm - Great Learning Experience - Not So Great Personalities & Lifestyle

Senior Associate (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Oliver Wyman

ProsTerrific learning experience for new college grads. Some very interesting work. Better than average compensation. Positions you well for other career paths. Opportunity to find some great mentors.

ConsWork-life balance can suck. Partner (and Partner-track) personalities can suck (arrogance, disingenuousness, and lack of empathy, were common). Limited cross-industry collaboration since partners much more focused on hitting their own numbers. Significant risk of being stuck in Winston-Salem, NC, or an airplane hangar for years at a time (lost youth?).

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's been a few years since I left OW. But, I'd suggest that if you've moved the firm culture away from what it was like then, then you're probably doing a great job.

Warm Friendly work environment

Staff Accountant (Current Employee)

ProsThere's Room for growth
They offer Competitive Salary

ConsLimited room for growth in some fields

Excellent firm, strong specialization and content management

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oliver Wyman

ProsProjects are relatively high impact
Clients and project type are top quality
People are amazing, young pool of consultants are all very friendly, outgoing, and collegial
Comp is above street
Firm culture is unheard of...extremely strong bond among everyone, lots of firm wide events

ConsPotential to be siloed in specific industry or type of work
Travel is hit or miss
Brand name is still improving

long hours, very demanding

I have been working at Oliver Wyman

Prosnice colleagues for the most part
good brand name, ivy league of financial services consulting
big clients, important projects

Consno work life balance
lots of pressure
not enough vacation time for the hours expected (only 3 weeks)
skimping on research resources

No work life balance - pressure to travel internationally

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Oliver Wyman

ProsFast career advancement, competitive salary, good health benefits, good paid time off, fair and transparent review process twice per year

ConsPoor work life balance, pressure to work long hours, endless travel, pressure to travel internationally, particularly to the middle east

Great place if you want to experience a fast paced environment

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oliver Wyman

Prosgreat benefits and felx work options, community building opportunities, social events and opportunity to grow if you perform, great client and high quality work

ConsNot very good at managing change

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to be a top management consulting firm step up the level on Talent Management

Great place if you love consulting

Job Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oliver Wyman

ProsOliver Wyman provides a faster track to partnership than competitors. Partially this is achieved through faster specialization. No MBA is required for advancement (though they are sponsored if you want one). The extra time in the industry is viewed as more beneficial than the MBA. The culture is very meritocratic, entrepreneurial and team-oriented with almost no work-place politics to deal with.

ConsIf you're not in consulting for the long-haul, it offers a less-clear "value proposition." The brand name isn't as good as competing firms, which may be important for your next career (though I hope this will slowly change). The lack of emphasis on an MBA may hinder your future career choices outside Oliver Wyman unless you make obtaining one a personal priority.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay true to the founding principles of the firm (Oliver, Wyman and Company). Don't make OW into Bain, McKinsey, and BCG...force them to be more like us.

Started well then got worse as time went on

Consultant (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at Oliver Wyman

ProsGood opportunities for international staffing assignments, pay is on par with top consulting firms )(at least below senior manager/partner levels), people are generally quite friendly

ConsUnpredictable travel and work demands can make planning your life pretty challenging. The merger of OW and Mercer Management was a failure generally speaking.

Worked for Oliver Wyman? Contribute to the Community!

Oliver Wyman Videos

Oliver Wyman – Why Work for Us?

Oliver Wyman is one of the world’s leading management consultancies. From strategy, operations, and risk management to organizational transformation and leadership development, we work with companies around the world to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oliver Wyman reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Oliver Wyman CEO John P. Drzik. All 188 reviews posted anonymously by Oliver Wyman employees.