Oliver Wyman

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Not yet rated.

Oliver Wyman CEO Scott McDonald

Scott McDonald

Pros
  • Company concerned with work-life balance (more in theory than in practice sometimes) (in 11 reviews)

• great people anda lot of learning opportunities (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance does not exist (in 33 reviews)

• repetitive, too much travel, long hours, no support or mentorship (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company but long stressful hours

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPays good. Learn a lot and climb quickly.

ConsPoor work life balance. 90+ hr weeks are common.

Very interesting job, talented colleagues and great development

Strategy Consultant (Current Employee) Paris (France)

Pros- Most projects are really interesting and challenging
    - Talented colleagues that you can learn from
    - Great opportunities for development in projects and in training
    - Company concerned with work-life balance (more in theory than in practice sometimes)
    - Feedback (formal and informal) is part of the culture and most of the time actionable

Cons- Very long working hours and many business trips
    - Sometimes projects can last up to a year and client is a priority to consultants' development
    - Less talented leaders than are damaging the image of Oliver Wyman (I think it has changed a lot in the past months and they are more and more leaving the company)

Corporate Norms

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWonderfully friendly culture. International footprint. Generous parental leave benefits.

ConsAttitude that they can get by with fewer people doing the same job. Continuous restructuring of the business model.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very good people, very good organization, too much power at counrty level

Principal (Former Employee) Milan (Italy)

ProsVery good people, very good organization

Constoo much power at counrty level, too much narrow geek work

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be truly meritocratic vs friend of a friend of a friend

Excellent culture!

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros- very friendly
    - focus on development
    - great client exposure

Cons- heavy competition from other consulting firms

Advice to Senior Management- continue to build brand value

Strong consulting foundation in a down to earth environment

Senior Associate (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsStrong analytic and consulting toolkit
    Friendly, down-to-earth atmosphere
    Entrepreneurial culture with few barriers to taking ownership and initiative

ConsWeak consulting relationships and client list
    Specialization drives divisions and silos in the company (e.g. making it harder to share info)
    Salaries and bonuses may be lower than competitors

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in relationship building at all levels with clients and alumni - focusing too much on the analytics can be a danger when competitors control access to the C-suite / Board

MMC Takeover Hurt

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt pays well and promotes from within for committed individuals willing to work a rigorous schedule.

ConsThis was once a boutique consultancy that truly cared about its employees. Oliver and Wyman's retirement, rapid growth and the MMC acquisition robbed the company of its soul.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork-life balance, once a high priority, lost some traction.

Mixed bag

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsGreat people
    Great content
    Exceptional flexibility with regard to work models (unpaid vaccation, extendes leaves, etc.)

ConsOrganisation, processes and staff development require improvement
    Lack of legal partnership seems to skew partner incentives to short-term business generation

Great people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Z├╝rich (Switzerland)

ProsGreat People, fun events, a lot of travel, good pay

Conshard work-life balance, often little choice about projects you would like to work on and develop your skillset

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider discussing personal growth for individual consultants

Varied, challenging and interesting work, in a highly supportive environment

Principal (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsOffers a high degree of flexibility, which enables you to tailor your career path to suit your personal interests and circumstances.
    Extremely intelligent, fun, and diverse set of colleagues.
    Increasing emphasis on diversity and inclusion; I feel like you can truly be yourself at OW.
    Interesting, stimulating and rewarding work.

ConsIt's a bit of a challenge to retain the more personal feeling of a small firm, whilst at the same time growing fast.
    I'm sure it's the same at every consulting firm, but sometimes you end up being staffed on a project that may not be your number one choice. Having said that, sometimes this can turn out to be a pleasant surprise.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease keep up the brand building efforts. I find I am less and less needing to explain who we are, but would like it iin the future if f everyone has heard of us.

Worked for Oliver Wyman? Contribute to the Community!