Oliver Wyman Reviews

Reset
4.2
Oliver Wyman CEO Scott McDonald
Scott McDonald

Pros
  • Teams are really supportive and work/life balance is achievable (in 13 reviews)

• Great flexible working conditions, great people - my colleagues have turned into friends (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance does not exist (in 36 reviews)

• At times long hours, though senior management is working hard to address this through multiple initiatives (in 19 reviews)

1. Awesome Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Oliver Wyman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture is great, innovative and very open to new technologies and systems. A very international environment that looks to promote and develop both career growth and a real team atmosphere.

Cons

At times work demands and deadlines can be very stressful but that can happen in any company.

2. De l'humain chez

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)

I worked at Oliver Wyman full-time

Pros

Rémunération avantageuse dès l'entrée post-graducation + sign on bonus Augmentation à deux chiffres chaque année, réellement méritocratique Bonus annuel entre 20 et 40% de sa remuneration annuelle, selon l'ancienneté (dès 1 an) Ambiance et esprit d'équipe, valeurs humaines très presents !!! Sélection à l'embauche basées sur les competences, motivation etc.. mais aussi sur le fit humain ressenti au travers de l'ensemble du processus de recrutement. C'est rare !

Cons

Horaires à rallonge (conseil... normal) Pression des partners sur certains projets, comme partout il n'y a pas que des bons chefs Turn over d'environ 3 à 5 ans Beaucoup de déplacements si staffs sur mission à l'étranger

3. Summer Intern

Pros

Pros are: Friendly, supportive people to work with. They have interesting cases and a lot of career development opportunities. They are not a program - don't specifically require MBAs.

Cons

A lot of projects are in the Financial Services area - many CCARs. Technology is still in development. Your experience depends on your team and project a lot.

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome work. The environment is stimulating and exciting and incredibly friendly. Keep hiring great people and build on the success stories.

Treated poorly

I worked at Oliver Wyman full-time

Pros

1) Some very smart people here; think math geniuses, statistics experts 2) Very good comp, especially the variable

Cons

Disclaimer: I was fired within one year based on an up-or-out policy. Which is fair, except my evaluations were all very positive and there was absolutely ZERO heads-up. It was surreal, I walked in for my year-end review expecting to receive a generally positive eval with some development areas (which I was aware of and had created some action plans around where to improve), and I was told that OW has "decided to move on". I was 23 at the time and it felt like it literally broke my heart.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat people better. Yes you hire exceptional people, and not everyone is so - I perhaps am not. But if I got through your crazy prob & stats interviews and tough cases, I'm no dummy either. Work with people who aren't as gifted and help them improve but we all have strengths.

A career changer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Simply put, my time at Oliver Wyman changed my career trajectory. The people there are amazing -- diverse, smart, and driven, but also incredibly humble and approachable considering how accomplished they are. The firm creates tremendous opportunities for people with an entrepreneurial bent to build their careers.

Cons

The typical downsides of a consulting profession: lots of travel, the mix of work at any one time being dictated by the macro environment (i.e. when conditions are tough you do cost management and regulatory compliance work), steep learning curves.

Advice to Management

One challenge of fast-growing firm is cultivating enough young leaders to be able to populate the necessary growth of the management ranks. Make sure you stay focused on that and don't settle for 'administration' from people who need to lead.

7. good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Developer/IT Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Developer/IT Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Oliver Wyman (More than a year)

Pros

great people and work life balance.

Cons

moving up in the company is difficult

8. Financial Services focused - Not MBB but feels they are

I worked at Oliver Wyman full-time

Pros

Great people ! Great culture - exciting things to work on and really value employees. If you starting out your career in consulting, this is a great place to work

Cons

Smallish pipeline - mostly told what you will be working on vs. being asked what you would like to work on . If you want to do something outside FS think carefully, they have some traction in other areas but not enough to keep you staffed consistently . Overall, you will not walk out and be treated at the same level as an MBB (Mckinsey candidate but the firm feels they are worth MBB.

Advice to Management

Manage expectations with new hires - especially experienced hires. Maintain enough people in your pipeline

Good place to work after college

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Oliver Wyman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great consulting class, great managers

Cons

Content is often limited, choice of projects is limited. Lack of diversity.

10. Oliver Wyman

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Oliver Wyman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

OW is a great company to work for. There are a variety of interesting projects. There are usually a huge number of different social events for all staff; support, consultants, principals, partners.

Cons

The work-life balance can be an issue for some consultants. This will depend on the nature of the clients and partners. However, relative to competitors, it is not unreasonable.

Advice to Management

Keep paying attention to the learning and development of the staff. Interesting, challenging projects are obviously a big selling point for the company.

11. Good company

Pros

smart people, good to work with

Cons

a little in the weeds sometimes

RSS Feed </> Embed