Oliver Wyman Reviews

243 reviews filtered by

1. Great place to work - growing firm with true meritocracy

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Oliver Wyman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Global staffing policy means projects all over the world (I've covered four continents in five years)
    - Truly great culture that is present in all offices (New York / Boston / Chicago / London / Munich / Paris / Dubai)
    - Work hard, play hard attitude - there's always room for fun (it's written in the core values)
    - Very clear and quick path to management, I was managing a team of two in my third year with OW and presenting directly to C-Suite executives shortly after
    - Define your own career, accelerate as quickly as you like through specialization or remain a generalist. Plenty of opportunity to refresh your energy through non-profit fellowships, temporary leave of absence, or externship
    - Business school is an option but not a requirement
    - Supportive culture with both formal training and coaching as well as informal mentorship and guidance
    - Small 'elite squad' in a large corporate holding
    - Very competitive compensation and benefits

Cons

- Being part of a listed company sometimes leads to shortsighted decision making by management (focus on near term sales rather than long-term client investment)
    - Global staffing model means travel can be gruesome
    - Specialization in certain industries can lead to consultants being pressured to focus on an industry early in their career
    - Integration of Oliver Wyman and Mercer Mgmt Consulting wasn't flawless, leading to some friction between the current practice groups. Though I expect this to clear through the next year or two as new classes cycle in.

- Focus on mid-level consultant development (Associate / Engagement Manager), a lot of time and effort has gone into the structuring of our junior consultant and partner value propositions but the middle layer feels left out
    - Invest in longer-term client and industry development outside of Financial Services (white papers / conferences / etc.)

2. Best place for thriving community and opportunities for growth!

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Oliver Wyman full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Smaller firm means we have a flatter structure
       - We have lunch with new consultants, principles and partners alike on Fridays)
       - I know everyone in my office really well and feel as though people care about me as a person

- Meritocracy
       - Feedback is provided and advancement follows your skillset and performance- not a set timeline)
       - B-school sponsorship is an option but not necessary for advancement

- Incredible people
       - I was very impressed by how intelligent, kind and fun my start class was when I met them at training
       - We have really fun office events (cooking classes, happy hours, Top Golf, etc)

- Great clients and projects
       - We work with big name clients on meaningful projects which makes the work fun, interesting and relevant
       - Teams are really supportive and work/life balance is achievable

Cons

- Management consulting entails long hours at times - definitely no worse than any other firm though

3. Firm has changed

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Oliver Wyman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very smart people, potential to do interesting work, good culture and fun colleagues, lots of perks

Cons

Interesting work can be rare, tech infrastructure is out of date, high rate of burn out, hours are highly unpredictable

Be more transparent

5. Ok place to work

Former Employee - Partner in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Partner in New York, NY

I worked at Oliver Wyman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A robust company with good employee benefits. Deep industry knowledge and willingness to partner with clients to develop customized solutions rather than impose a cookie-cutter approach.

Cons

Despite its "global" presence and international opportunities, OW is still is US-centric. There is a lip service about "free thinkers" and "self-starters"; in reality, it is difficult to put out unique ideas.

Leadership should be equipped to lead a "global" company,, treat diversity as an asset, promote more women to the top roles, develop leadership skills to accommodate incoming millenials.

6. Entrepreneurial office with fun vibe

Former Intern - Consultant Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Consultant Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Oliver Wyman as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Partners, principals, and managers make you feel valued and empowered. Moreover, senior officemates are accessible and fun. At least 2 partners would be at every bar hop or baseball game outing, and all are happy to shoot the breeze with junior consultants and interns.

Cons

Smaller office can sometimes feel empty - there are only

Work hard / play hard

Former Employee - Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Oliver Wyman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tremendous career building experience -- managing teams and presenting to CEO's in 3 years. Lots of international opportunities. Great team atmosphere. Generous benefits policies.

Cons

Long hours sometimes. The brand is really bad -- no one knows what Oliver Wyman is.

More investment in associates / engagement managers. There's been a really big focus on new consultants in the past few years, and more senior consultants have received less attention.

8. Great place to work

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Oliver Wyman full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Salary, Interesting work, smart colleagues, travel perks

Cons

Hours, extensive travel, delivery pressure

9. Oliver Wyman's atmosphere is energetic, challenging, and fun

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Oliver Wyman full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The projects are always different, allowing you to learn and develop skills you otherwise would not be able too. The people are incredibly interesting and intelligent, adding to the creative culture

Cons

The company has gone through a lot of changes over the past several years, leaving room for isolated practice groups to not integrate with the rest of the firm

Work on having a standardized culture for work-life balance

10. Great ability to have strategic, client-facing experience quickly

I have been working at Oliver Wyman

Pros

Within a year or two, you've really moved beyond analytics and into client and case management. You lead people and cases early.

Cons

Can be a bit bureaucratic. Often things you are looking to do are met by routine 'company policy' answers - would be nice if there was more flexibility.

Keep focused on development. Make sure to make discussing career development a top priority even several years into the job.

11. A place where

I have been working at Oliver Wyman full-time

Pros

very smart people, down to earth attitude, fast growth company, significantly higher bonus than peers, easy to obtain leave of absence allowances and other flexible options

Cons

long hours, with uncertain schedules, like in any other management consulting firm, lower brand than the big 3 once you leave the firm

They have to decide if they want to continue the Oliver Wyman path or be a copy-cat of its larger competitors, MCK, BCG, Bain

Oliver Wyman Photos