Oliver Wyman

Updated January 22, 2015
4.2

Oliver Wyman CEO Scott McDonald
Scott McDonald

Pros
  • Teams are really supportive and work/life balance is achievable (in 13 reviews)

• Great flexible working conditions, great people - my colleagues have turned into friends (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance does not exist (in 36 reviews)

• Potential long hours, working under tight deadlines (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

work hard, get lots of opportunities

I have been working at Oliver Wyman

Pros

smart, collaborative people making really significant impact at clients. Strong in core sectors of fin services and insurance, industrials like transport/energy/manufacturing, retail/consumer products...building in health/life sciences, infrastructure, etc. Lots of international opportunities and great flex options like 10 and 11 month years and non-profit fellowships, etc.

Cons

work-life balance, working to expand diversity but needs more, brand awareness is a challenge compared to some of our competitors

improve diversity up the ranks

A place where

I have been working at Oliver Wyman full-time

Pros

very smart people, down to earth attitude, fast growth company, significantly higher bonus than peers, easy to obtain leave of absence allowances and other flexible options

Cons

long hours, with uncertain schedules, like in any other management consulting firm, lower brand than the big 3 once you leave the firm

They have to decide if they want to continue the Oliver Wyman path or be a copy-cat of its larger competitors, MCK, BCG, Bain

Typical consulting firm, but very flexible work / life balance.

Current Employee - Manager in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Troy, MI

I have been working at Oliver Wyman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Good discounts being a part of Marsh & McLennan, there are good economies of scale. Good work / life balance.

Cons

Once you are pigeonholed, there is no reasonable way to change without stepping back.

Figure out what you want to do with the alternative business units. I, for one, felt betrayed when we were purchased and promised all kinds of opportunity that never came to fruition. It cost me another position that I turned down to stay and I regret it every day.

Great start to a career in business

Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Oliver Wyman full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you're interviewing here, you probably know what you're in for. Oliver Wyman is what it seems like - a near-elite management consulting firm; not quite McKinsey, Bain or BCG, mostly due to size, but at least on par with any other. The culture varies somewhat by office, but most of the people are incredibly bright, helpful, and friendly. Managers vary by case, but are generally supportive and caring. Firm is very strong in retail, financial services, and energy. Excellent compensation.

Cons

Typical consulting drawbacks - long hours, travel, etc. Weak name brand, likely at least partly due to no MBA recruiting. Little in the way of support for people seeking to transition to other jobs.

Great company but long stressful hours

I worked at Oliver Wyman

Pros

Pays good. Learn a lot and climb quickly.

Cons

Poor work life balance. 90+ hr weeks are common.

Excellent culture!

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Oliver Wyman as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- very friendly
    - focus on development
    - great client exposure

Cons

- heavy competition from other consulting firms

- continue to build brand value

Strong consulting foundation in a down to earth environment

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Oliver Wyman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong analytic and consulting toolkit
    Friendly, down-to-earth atmosphere
    Entrepreneurial culture with few barriers to taking ownership and initiative

Cons

Weak consulting relationships and client list
    Specialization drives divisions and silos in the company (e.g. making it harder to share info)
    Salaries and bonuses may be lower than competitors

Invest more in relationship building at all levels with clients and alumni - focusing too much on the analytics can be a danger when competitors control access to the C-suite / Board

MMC Takeover Hurt

I worked at Oliver Wyman

Pros

It pays well and promotes from within for committed individuals willing to work a rigorous schedule.

Cons

This was once a boutique consultancy that truly cared about its employees. Oliver and Wyman's retirement, rapid growth and the MMC acquisition robbed the company of its soul.

Work-life balance, once a high priority, lost some traction.

Overall positive impression of the company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Oliver Wyman as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Definitely a leader in financial services and healthcare consulting. Pay is also markedly higher than peer firms. A very "collegial" social culture overall.

Cons

Managers can be hit or miss. Some interns seemed to have managers that really took an interest in giving them real responsibilities that were both challenging and manageable. Some of us, however, seemed to have managers that were not so thoughtful in this arena, sometimes due to inexperience, sometimes to general carelessness.

Though certainly collegial, the company is not "flat" as advertised. This said, it is true that office politics exist everywhere no matter the company.

Also seemed like a number of 1st and 2nd year full-timers had a lot of beach time, which was a bit concerning.

Develop better mechanisms for giving (constructively) critical upward feedback to improve your managers.

Consultant

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Oliver Wyman full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, really good culture. Strong emphasis on WL balance. The firm really tried to create a cohesive environemnt for everyone to come together

Cons

You end up doing a bunch of stress testing work again and again. Might tell you you can explore other interests, but it's not often the case. It's easy to get stuck doing one thing at the company if you're not careful. You can find yourself doing 14 months of insurance work back to back without expressing any interest in it.

More visibility into current project across the firm, better integration of GMC/FS. In my two years at the firm, both compensation and promotion structure changes against consultants. This is not a startup company, and to reflect OW's maturity I'd try to have such frequent upheavals

Oliver Wyman Photos