Oliver Wyman

Updated November 26, 2014
4.2

Oliver Wyman CEO Scott McDonald
Scott McDonald

Pros
  • Teams are really supportive and work/life balance is achievable (in 13 reviews)

• Great flexible working conditions, great people - my colleagues have turned into friends (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance does not exist (in 36 reviews)

• Potential long hours, working under tight deadlines (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent culture!

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Oliver Wyman as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- very friendly
    - focus on development
    - great client exposure

Cons

- heavy competition from other consulting firms

- continue to build brand value

Strong consulting foundation in a down to earth environment

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Oliver Wyman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong analytic and consulting toolkit
    Friendly, down-to-earth atmosphere
    Entrepreneurial culture with few barriers to taking ownership and initiative

Cons

Weak consulting relationships and client list
    Specialization drives divisions and silos in the company (e.g. making it harder to share info)
    Salaries and bonuses may be lower than competitors

Invest more in relationship building at all levels with clients and alumni - focusing too much on the analytics can be a danger when competitors control access to the C-suite / Board

MMC Takeover Hurt

I worked at Oliver Wyman

Pros

It pays well and promotes from within for committed individuals willing to work a rigorous schedule.

Cons

This was once a boutique consultancy that truly cared about its employees. Oliver and Wyman's retirement, rapid growth and the MMC acquisition robbed the company of its soul.

Work-life balance, once a high priority, lost some traction.

Overall positive impression of the company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Oliver Wyman as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Definitely a leader in financial services and healthcare consulting. Pay is also markedly higher than peer firms. A very "collegial" social culture overall.

Cons

Managers can be hit or miss. Some interns seemed to have managers that really took an interest in giving them real responsibilities that were both challenging and manageable. Some of us, however, seemed to have managers that were not so thoughtful in this arena, sometimes due to inexperience, sometimes to general carelessness.

Though certainly collegial, the company is not "flat" as advertised. This said, it is true that office politics exist everywhere no matter the company.

Also seemed like a number of 1st and 2nd year full-timers had a lot of beach time, which was a bit concerning.

Develop better mechanisms for giving (constructively) critical upward feedback to improve your managers.

Consultant

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Oliver Wyman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun environment, really good culture. Strong emphasis on WL balance. The firm really tried to create a cohesive environemnt for everyone to come together

Cons

You end up doing a bunch of stress testing work again and again. Might tell you you can explore other interests, but it's not often the case. It's easy to get stuck doing one thing at the company if you're not careful. You can find yourself doing 14 months of insurance work back to back without expressing any interest in it.

More visibility into current project across the firm, better integration of GMC/FS. In my two years at the firm, both compensation and promotion structure changes against consultants. This is not a startup company, and to reflect OW's maturity I'd try to have such frequent upheavals

Great place to grow a career - if you're willing to put in the work and get on good cases.

Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Oliver Wyman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Incredibly smart and talented people; Constantly challenged and learning new things; Opportunity to experience and "become an expert" in a variety of industries; Very transparent about salaries and promotions; Opportunities to take leaves of absence (with benefits) or do a non-profit fellowship (at 60% pay)

Cons

Major inconsistencies between projects (i.e. travel, hours, management), which makes each employee's experience vary widely, and often errs on the side of terrible work-life balance; Regional and industry business varies widely and dramatically effects each office culture; Considerable change in management and high-level structure over the past year; Poor retention of women - a widely acknowledged challenge

Great name and excellent breeding ground for top talent

I worked at Oliver Wyman full-time

Pros

Great colleagues with brilliance. Smart people in the lower ranks of consultants and associates that make this company tick

Cons

Bureaucracy of being part of MMC. Being part of a public company, limits upside at junior ranks as well for bonus. The management is very political. Partners are not as great (exception may be FS) and lot of hot air. No wonder the retention is low

Get rid of partners and functions that do not perform well... Overhaul the incentive structure of junior consultants and associates. It is a "people" business.

Consultants are used, not developed

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Oliver Wyman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of exposure and responsibility right out of the gate.

Managers tend to be good on-the-job trainers. I really liked most of my project managers.

Cons

UPDATED: Management just announced changes such that employees will not receive cross-project reviews until they've been at the firm for nearly 2 years. That means you get the same pay, same title, same lack of recognition for 2 years. Their rationale? It balances out in the long run. What this explicitly means: If you're not planning on staying in consulting for the long-run, OW doesn't care about you.

Staffing is a nightmare. If you tell ANYONE what your preferences are, everyone somehow hears that you're a whiner and not willing to do whatever the firm needs you to do...

Work-life balance is a joke. Upper management talks about it a lot but partners don't care. Weekends? Holidays? What?

Zero exit-opportunity support. Again, if you're leaving the firm, they don't care about you. No programs, no externships (I know there are articles on OW's website, but I've never heard of such an opportunity in real life)

The firm is perpetually losing money, so terrible bonuses. There's always something to blame it on. My first year's excuse: Tough market. Second year: We spent so much time last year trying to get our act together internally that we forgot to sell work. Whoops. "We'll knock it out of the park next quarter though!"

Consider your consultants (all consultants) a long-term investment. Whether or not they want to get up to partner, they could still hire you in the future. Make them want to hire you.

Smart, driven, very entrepreneurial people

Current Employee - IT Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - IT Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Oliver Wyman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work with smart, driven folks who push bounderies and have the get it done attitude

Cons

Consultant hrs are long, lots of travel, challenging deadlines

Great place to start a career

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Oliver Wyman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very intelligent group, fun/collegiate culture, made many lasting friendships and connections

Cons

Lots of travel, merger of the general management and financial services businesses causes branding confusion, crowded at the partner level

Oliver Wyman Photos