OliverMcMillan

Morgan Dene Oliver

Over 20 years of employment at Oliver McMillan

Management (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsYou can't argue with success. This company has lasted 36 years surviving up and downs in the economy and real estate industry.
    The company leadership have shown to guts to make tough decisions needed to stay in business and do good work. Loyalty to people who perform. And market or above compensation and good benefits relative to other firms. The head of HR I'd a dynamic caring person and a leader. She has been brought up from the bottom to the board.
    The CEO truly cares about people and is a great leader and knows his business. How many companies send people to rehab and therapy? Maybe he tries to hard but has lead a major success. By the way, I have seen others seek greener pastures only to be welcomed back after leaving. Pretty amazing to hold no grudges and wish people well if they choose to leave.

ConsFast growth is hard. Greater scrutiny before hiring people. Need to let people go sooner and not try to fix people who can't be fixed.
    Get real. Better formal career path necessary.
    Stronger retirement plan would be helpful to people.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up good work. Thanks for working so hard on a wonderful environment where people like and care for one another.

challenging yet progressive and rewarding if your heart is in it

ProsI have worked for two other companies in the industry and none of them come close to OM. The CEO is a bit eccentric but I really believe it is a result of his passion to be a level above the rest. the entire team he has in place seems to think outside the box and is committed to success. This is a place that you can earn promotions. people who keep their head down and work, rather than gossip about, are the ones that seem to grow with the company. The opportunities that are ahead are a clear sign that this is the place to be. There are projects in the works in multiple states across the US. I've never experienced a company that takes such good care of their employees. weekly company lunches and team outings are NOT rare. Just in the last 12 months there has been two events that were over the top. One that seemed like a wedding at Point Loma's NTC and just recently a company wide SD Padre event, where employees and family all left with take aways like jerseys and bags. Who ever plans these events spare no expense. I wake up every morning and head to work wanting to do good for OM. I hope to be here for the duration of my career.

ConsNot too many, really. Just petty little things that tend to cause cancer in any work place. At the top of the list is the fact that there seems to be a generation of employees that have a huge sense of entitlement. people that haven't paid there dues with years of service yet stick their noses up at the fact that promotions/money aren't rapidly coming their way. To a fault, the CEO might create this entitlement because of the fact that he is so generous in his givings to the entire OM staff. The place would be a whole lot easier to work at if people quit whining about what they aren't getting and started concentrating on what will help the company as a whole. Because when things are good for the company, things seem to be good for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecruit for people that are a bit more mature and experienced and look to hire more people to sustain the growth. Seems like people around me are spread thin.

Employee Appreciation event

ProsThe company seems to be taking many efforts to unite the staff with great events like the employee appreciation. It was a genuinely nice event and it seemed like everyone was having a great time-- lots of friendly and cool people working at OliverMcMillan

ConsIt would have been nice is the CEO and other EC members came to support this event.... it would have been a great look for the company to have everyone there.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Outside Consultant with OliverMcMillan

Marketing (Current Employee)

ProsA great staff of people, smart and enthusiastic, a full range of ages and capabilities, all over the country. Have felt very fortunate to work with a company who is doing very innovative and new to the market type projects that will have long lasting effects on communities and economy of where their projects are located.

ConsThey can be difficult to work with at times, deadlines are short and sometimes come out of nowhere, it seems like everyone gets overwhelmed very easily because the work load can be intense.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo make sure that they are constantly connecting and supporting their co-workers on this crazy adventure.. the companies quick growth.

Gratitude

ProsI am so thankful for the opportunity to work at OliverMcMillan- extremely interesting work, great experience, beautiful developments that will endure and be a proud part of my career. This company has been a leader out of the Great Recession with regard to commercial real estate and has employed many people who may not have otherwise had the opportunity.

ConsI wish the office was in Los Angeles, although folks LOVE San Diego!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Amazing work, Typical work drama, great opportunities.

Showroom Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsI am an out of state employee (The one and only in the NY showroom). I came into this company unsure of what to expect, but have found myself truly enjoying my work. The work is challenging, and the expectation and deadlines can be high and quick, which can cause some drama with staff members. The projects that we are working on might be the most exciting in our industry and I feel very proud to be apart of that. There is a lot of buzz and excitement for our mixed use developments to open.HR has also been extremely understanding and compassionate about being the only employee in NY so they have allowed me to travel to work and collaborate with the other offices. Traveling is one of my favorite parts about working at OM!

ConsThe drama and competitive nature of the employees seems to constantly be an issue. There are a lot of shining stars at OM and everyone is trying to shine the brightest! But lets face it, these are problems that happen in any other work environment and if you let it get to you, it will. The company is working hard to unify the employees and change some of there practices and in some ways I have already seen a big difference.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo continue efforts to give each employee and teams the attention they need in order to succeed.

All a Show

ProsGood company to work for, to begin with. Has a CEO that is making a genuine effort to make things better than they used to be. There is an insurmountable amount of work in and throughout the company and they do take care of their employees financially.

ConsThough the CEO is making an effort to change up the way the company has been ran in the past, there is still a lot of back stabbing and blame being passed around when something does not come up right due to fear of reaction from the executives.

When it comes down to it, one's who have worked here for many years are still set in the "fear based" way it was in the past. Therefore there is still conflict and fear based working people set in their ways who pass their fears to everyone else. Until they are gone no matter what kind of an effort is being done to fix this, there will be no change and in that case it's all a fassad.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of or make an effort to change those who worked there since before 2009

All the Fluff Benefits In the World Can't Hide The Fact That This Company Has Serious Problems

(Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

Pros- OliverMcMillan has many projects/offices all over the US
    - Corporate office has great downtown San Diego location in East Village
    - 3 course lunch provided on Fridays at corporate office
    - Company pays for parking (but based on how much they like you or appreciate what you do is how close of a parking lot you are assigned)
    - Onsite mini gym

ConsWhere should I start?!
    - Overworked
    - Underpaid
    - Very underappreciated
    - No 401K matching
    - Incompetent HR
    - Very clique-y environment (the chosen few reap the benefits and rewards)
    - Way too much backstabbing, drama, gossip and lies
    - Big egos and close ties are preventing people from making sane, logical business decisions, especially in regards to hiring, firing and promotions
    - Company does not like free-thinkers who question the status quo when it makes sense to do so, they want "Yes" men and women
    - Lack of communication all around
    - Legal battles with ex-employees due to unfair treatment/firing

Advice to Senior Management- Treat everyone equally and fairly
    - Don't promise things you can't deliver on
    - Hire a new Chief Culture Officer
    - Realize you can't push corporate culture on employees. It has to happen organically and stems from top down.

The best company to work for in the real estate industry.

(Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsI've worked for OliverMcMillan for over 10 years and am surprised by some of these negative comments. OliverMcMillan devotes itself to developing and challenging each of its employees so each of us can continue to grow, whether at OM or beyond. It appears that several vocal ones do not appreciate the challenges. I and most others find it worthwhile and rewarding to be a part of creating such amazing communities throughout the U.S. The company is about something bigger than ourselves, and perhaps those who are ego-focused don't appreciate that. In what is normally a staid conservative real industry, OliverMcMillan is unique in its progressive, collaborative, and design-oriented environment. I see it as the Apple or Google of real estate.

ConsWe're all so busy. And sometimes given too much responsibility before we're ready. There definitely are a couple personalities I'd rather live without, but the company pays attention to relationships to ease any tension. I'd like to see more employees hired to reduce the workload. It seems that either an employee is here a very short time or a very long time, which means OM is not great at initial selection.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more employees, but do it with greater selectivity to avoid turnover.

Be careful

ProsThe company continues to positively adapt to the economy, despite the forecast of the real estate industry. The CEO is an innovative and entrepreneurial mind that, although difficult at times, is a visionary and creative thinker.

ConsThe company needs to take a hard look at key personnel. There are quite a few influential and senior positions that are preventing healthy company growth. Instrumental employees are self-absorbed and narcissistic instead of having the company's best interests in mind. I've disturbingly seen more than a handful of good employees let-go because of management's illogical and misinformed decisions. It's difficult to watch and even harder to accept when justified by the company as "the employee was ego-driven" which couldn't be more hypocritical or further from the truth.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a deep look into all the staff. You might be surprised at what truths you find.

Try not to get audited.

Worked for OliverMcMillan? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OliverMcMillan reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for OliverMcMillan CEO Morgan Dene Oliver . All 29 reviews posted anonymously by OliverMcMillan employees.