OliverMcMillan

Add Photos

Morgan Dene Oliver

Gratitude

Senior MD (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsI feel very fortunate to be part of an organization that values people and strives to create a positive work culture. I sincerely hope that this site helps convey and accentuate that OM is a great and special place to work.

ConsIt is unfortunate when a few disgruntled people can not work successfully within an organization, and their words and actions reflect negatively on the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be committed to the positive core OM values - get people on or off the bus to continue to achieve greatness.

Work hard, Play hard, Love my co-workers

ProsThere's no question that you work hard at OliverMcMillan, but it is with fantastic people. The office environment is second to none, very non-corporate, very creative, very comfortable. Management is always striving to improve the company's culture.

ConsIt definitely can be stressful at times. Deadlines can sometimes be daunting. Sometimes feels like deadlines are artificial.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould like more training and/or mentoring.

I feel lucky to be at OM

Accounting (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsKind people who work hard and care about one another. A lot of loyalty and like my family. I have never had it better.
    I know most everyone at the company and see a lot of other happy people succeeding. Yes it's hard work but no one works harder than the people managing and leading OM.
    I'm lucky to have this place to call home.

ConsI have nothing to criticize. If course I'd like to earn more money with time and I trust I will as I have watched others grow in position and compensation. Sometimes there are fire drills we should be able to avoid.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep trying to make it better. Don't be discouraged by negative people who are never happy and don't appreciate anything in life. Be brave and bold.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

challenging yet progressive and rewarding if your heart is in it

ProsI have worked for two other companies in the industry and none of them come close to OM. The CEO is a bit eccentric but I really believe it is a result of his passion to be a level above the rest. the entire team he has in place seems to think outside the box and is committed to success. This is a place that you can earn promotions. people who keep their head down and work, rather than gossip about, are the ones that seem to grow with the company. The opportunities that are ahead are a clear sign that this is the place to be. There are projects in the works in multiple states across the US. I've never experienced a company that takes such good care of their employees. weekly company lunches and team outings are NOT rare. Just in the last 12 months there has been two events that were over the top. One that seemed like a wedding at Point Loma's NTC and just recently a company wide SD Padre event, where employees and family all left with take aways like jerseys and bags. Who ever plans these events spare no expense. I wake up every morning and head to work wanting to do good for OM. I hope to be here for the duration of my career.

ConsNot too many, really. Just petty little things that tend to cause cancer in any work place. At the top of the list is the fact that there seems to be a generation of employees that have a huge sense of entitlement. people that haven't paid there dues with years of service yet stick their noses up at the fact that promotions/money aren't rapidly coming their way. To a fault, the CEO might create this entitlement because of the fact that he is so generous in his givings to the entire OM staff. The place would be a whole lot easier to work at if people quit whining about what they aren't getting and started concentrating on what will help the company as a whole. Because when things are good for the company, things seem to be good for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecruit for people that are a bit more mature and experienced and look to hire more people to sustain the growth. Seems like people around me are spread thin.

Happy!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsCEO is a visionary with a huge heart and leadership cares, takes ownership and listens to the team. Company is in a high growth and high opportunity phase, exciting projects and overall great people! Fun and well done events for staff appreciation, employees enjoy one another and have genuine camaraderie. Lots of time and attention goes into creating a positive culture and environment for the team. Chef on staff, gym, amazing, hip and design savvy offices. I'm proud to be a part of it and hope to grow and contribute for years to come.

ConsUrgent environment and workload is demanding but, the plus side is it offers challenge and learning. Youthful employees negativity and entitlement sometimes gets too much. Family benefits are expensive and no 401k matching.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to see more efforts to support work-life balance and boundaries for personal time. Keep up the momentum of growth and stay open to feedback.

Employee Appreciation event

ProsThe company seems to be taking many efforts to unite the staff with great events like the employee appreciation. It was a genuinely nice event and it seemed like everyone was having a great time-- lots of friendly and cool people working at OliverMcMillan

ConsIt would have been nice is the CEO and other EC members came to support this event.... it would have been a great look for the company to have everyone there.

Outside Consultant with OliverMcMillan

Marketing (Current Employee)

ProsA great staff of people, smart and enthusiastic, a full range of ages and capabilities, all over the country. Have felt very fortunate to work with a company who is doing very innovative and new to the market type projects that will have long lasting effects on communities and economy of where their projects are located.

ConsThey can be difficult to work with at times, deadlines are short and sometimes come out of nowhere, it seems like everyone gets overwhelmed very easily because the work load can be intense.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo make sure that they are constantly connecting and supporting their co-workers on this crazy adventure.. the companies quick growth.

Gratitude

ProsI am so thankful for the opportunity to work at OliverMcMillan- extremely interesting work, great experience, beautiful developments that will endure and be a proud part of my career. This company has been a leader out of the Great Recession with regard to commercial real estate and has employed many people who may not have otherwise had the opportunity.

ConsI wish the office was in Los Angeles, although folks LOVE San Diego!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Amazing work, Typical work drama, great opportunities.

Showroom Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI am an out of state employee (The one and only in the NY showroom). I came into this company unsure of what to expect, but have found myself truly enjoying my work. The work is challenging, and the expectation and deadlines can be high and quick, which can cause some drama with staff members. The projects that we are working on might be the most exciting in our industry and I feel very proud to be apart of that. There is a lot of buzz and excitement for our mixed use developments to open.HR has also been extremely understanding and compassionate about being the only employee in NY so they have allowed me to travel to work and collaborate with the other offices. Traveling is one of my favorite parts about working at OM!

ConsThe drama and competitive nature of the employees seems to constantly be an issue. There are a lot of shining stars at OM and everyone is trying to shine the brightest! But lets face it, these are problems that happen in any other work environment and if you let it get to you, it will. The company is working hard to unify the employees and change some of there practices and in some ways I have already seen a big difference.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo continue efforts to give each employee and teams the attention they need in order to succeed.

All the Fluff Benefits In the World Can't Hide The Fact That This Company Has Serious Problems

(Current Employee) San Diego, CA

Pros- OliverMcMillan has many projects/offices all over the US
    - Corporate office has great downtown San Diego location in East Village
    - 3 course lunch provided on Fridays at corporate office
    - Company pays for parking (but based on how much they like you or appreciate what you do is how close of a parking lot you are assigned)
    - Onsite mini gym

ConsWhere should I start?!
    - Overworked
    - Underpaid
    - Very underappreciated
    - No 401K matching
    - Incompetent HR
    - Very clique-y environment (the chosen few reap the benefits and rewards)
    - Way too much backstabbing, drama, gossip and lies
    - Big egos and close ties are preventing people from making sane, logical business decisions, especially in regards to hiring, firing and promotions
    - Company does not like free-thinkers who question the status quo when it makes sense to do so, they want "Yes" men and women
    - Lack of communication all around
    - Legal battles with ex-employees due to unfair treatment/firing

Advice to Senior Management- Treat everyone equally and fairly
    - Don't promise things you can't deliver on
    - Hire a new Chief Culture Officer
    - Realize you can't push corporate culture on employees. It has to happen organically and stems from top down.

Worked for OliverMcMillan? Contribute to the Community!