OliverMcMillan

Admiration

Current Employee - Development Services  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Development Services in San Diego, CA

I have been working at OliverMcMillan full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have worked as an employee or at a consultant company to OliverMcMillan for almost 20 years. This company has consistently been a leader in the commercial real estate industry, admired by everyone in the business. The CEO is a superstar and a warm, charismatic leader. It is a privilege to be part of this forward-looking company where art and design are so highly valued. Compensation is fair and more than most competitors offer, especially for creative work.

Cons

There is a lot of hard work for some but not all! You must be passionate and willing to work hard while ignoring that some do not put in the same hours.

Create more life, work balance so that team members don't burn out!

Gratitude

Current Employee - Senior MD  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior MD in San Diego, CA

I have been working at OliverMcMillan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I feel very fortunate to be part of an organization that values people and strives to create a positive work culture. I sincerely hope that this site helps convey and accentuate that OM is a great and special place to work.

Cons

It is unfortunate when a few disgruntled people can not work successfully within an organization, and their words and actions reflect negatively on the company.

Continue to be committed to the positive core OM values - get people on or off the bus to continue to achieve greatness.

Work hard, Play hard, Love my co-workers

I have been working at OliverMcMillan full-time

Pros

There's no question that you work hard at OliverMcMillan, but it is with fantastic people. The office environment is second to none, very non-corporate, very creative, very comfortable. Management is always striving to improve the company's culture.

Cons

It definitely can be stressful at times. Deadlines can sometimes be daunting. Sometimes feels like deadlines are artificial.

Would like more training and/or mentoring.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I feel lucky to be at OM

Current Employee - Accounting  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting in San Diego, CA

I have been working at OliverMcMillan full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Kind people who work hard and care about one another. A lot of loyalty and like my family. I have never had it better.
    I know most everyone at the company and see a lot of other happy people succeeding. Yes it's hard work but no one works harder than the people managing and leading OM.
    I'm lucky to have this place to call home.

Cons

I have nothing to criticize. If course I'd like to earn more money with time and I trust I will as I have watched others grow in position and compensation. Sometimes there are fire drills we should be able to avoid.

Keep trying to make it better. Don't be discouraged by negative people who are never happy and don't appreciate anything in life. Be brave and bold.

challenging yet progressive and rewarding if your heart is in it

I have been working at OliverMcMillan full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have worked for two other companies in the industry and none of them come close to OM. The CEO is a bit eccentric but I really believe it is a result of his passion to be a level above the rest. the entire team he has in place seems to think outside the box and is committed to success. This is a place that you can earn promotions. people who keep their head down and work, rather than gossip about, are the ones that seem to grow with the company. The opportunities that are ahead are a clear sign that this is the place to be. There are projects in the works in multiple states across the US. I've never experienced a company that takes such good care of their employees. weekly company lunches and team outings are NOT rare. Just in the last 12 months there has been two events that were over the top. One that seemed like a wedding at Point Loma's NTC and just recently a company wide SD Padre event, where employees and family all left with take aways like jerseys and bags. Who ever plans these events spare no expense. I wake up every morning and head to work wanting to do good for OM. I hope to be here for the duration of my career.

Cons

Not too many, really. Just petty little things that tend to cause cancer in any work place. At the top of the list is the fact that there seems to be a generation of employees that have a huge sense of entitlement. people that haven't paid there dues with years of service yet stick their noses up at the fact that promotions/money aren't rapidly coming their way. To a fault, the CEO might create this entitlement because of the fact that he is so generous in his givings to the entire OM staff. The place would be a whole lot easier to work at if people quit whining about what they aren't getting and started concentrating on what will help the company as a whole. Because when things are good for the company, things seem to be good for everyone.

Recruit for people that are a bit more mature and experienced and look to hire more people to sustain the growth. Seems like people around me are spread thin.

Happy!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at OliverMcMillan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

CEO is a visionary with a huge heart and leadership cares, takes ownership and listens to the team. Company is in a high growth and high opportunity phase, exciting projects and overall great people! Fun and well done events for staff appreciation, employees enjoy one another and have genuine camaraderie. Lots of time and attention goes into creating a positive culture and environment for the team. Chef on staff, gym, amazing, hip and design savvy offices. I'm proud to be a part of it and hope to grow and contribute for years to come.

Cons

Urgent environment and workload is demanding but, the plus side is it offers challenge and learning. Youthful employees negativity and entitlement sometimes gets too much. Family benefits are expensive and no 401k matching.

I would like to see more efforts to support work-life balance and boundaries for personal time. Keep up the momentum of growth and stay open to feedback.

Fake Company, Fake People, Fake Reviews

I worked at OliverMcMillan full-time

Pros

- free friday lunch by Chef Simon (he's amazing)
    - CEO, Dene Oliver

Cons

- most of these recent 5 star reviews are fake and were put on here by HR or their puppets in the company
    - you will be severely underpaid and highly overworked
    - a lot of fake people and everyone is willing to lie to make themselves look good and try to move ahead in the company
    - very unfair in giving out rewards, incentives, etc. (the suck ups and the puppets get it all, whether they work hard or not, which in most cases is they don't work hard at all)
    - insurance is not great at all
    - no 401K matching

Nothing in this section matters because management doesn't care. This is a private company and they will continue to run things the way they want. They will continue to use company money for personal use and to reward their favorite employees.

Employee Appreciation event

I have been working at OliverMcMillan as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

The company seems to be taking many efforts to unite the staff with great events like the employee appreciation. It was a genuinely nice event and it seemed like everyone was having a great time-- lots of friendly and cool people working at OliverMcMillan

Cons

It would have been nice is the CEO and other EC members came to support this event.... it would have been a great look for the company to have everyone there.

Outside Consultant with OliverMcMillan

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at OliverMcMillan as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

A great staff of people, smart and enthusiastic, a full range of ages and capabilities, all over the country. Have felt very fortunate to work with a company who is doing very innovative and new to the market type projects that will have long lasting effects on communities and economy of where their projects are located.

Cons

They can be difficult to work with at times, deadlines are short and sometimes come out of nowhere, it seems like everyone gets overwhelmed very easily because the work load can be intense.

To make sure that they are constantly connecting and supporting their co-workers on this crazy adventure.. the companies quick growth.

Amazing work, Typical work drama, great opportunities.

Current Employee - Showroom Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Showroom Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at OliverMcMillan full-time for more than a year

Pros

I am an out of state employee (The one and only in the NY showroom). I came into this company unsure of what to expect, but have found myself truly enjoying my work. The work is challenging, and the expectation and deadlines can be high and quick, which can cause some drama with staff members. The projects that we are working on might be the most exciting in our industry and I feel very proud to be apart of that. There is a lot of buzz and excitement for our mixed use developments to open.HR has also been extremely understanding and compassionate about being the only employee in NY so they have allowed me to travel to work and collaborate with the other offices. Traveling is one of my favorite parts about working at OM!

Cons

The drama and competitive nature of the employees seems to constantly be an issue. There are a lot of shining stars at OM and everyone is trying to shine the brightest! But lets face it, these are problems that happen in any other work environment and if you let it get to you, it will. The company is working hard to unify the employees and change some of there practices and in some ways I have already seen a big difference.

To continue efforts to give each employee and teams the attention they need in order to succeed.

Worked for OliverMcMillan? Contribute to the Community!