OliverMcMillan

3.7

Morgan Dene Oliver

A great new experience!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at OliverMcMillan full-time (less than an year)

Pros

OM is a dynamic organization that obviously cares very much about their employees and the quality of the work that they do. The perks are more than I've ever seen and the leadership is involved and available to everyone.

Cons

Because there has been so much growth and people are extremely busy, it can be easy for small things to get overlooked, but process improvements are fixing that.

Great Company & Culture!!

Current Employee - Human Resources Recruiter in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Recruiter in San Diego, CA

I have been working at OliverMcMillan as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

OM is a great company to work for! The organization has consistently been a leader in the commercial real estate industry that values their employees and strives to create a positive work culture. Offers great perks to their employees and compensation is fair compared to the market/competitors.

Cons

Managers need to provide positive feedback, especially when there is so much work to complete and needing to meet deadlines. People need to be willing to put in the time and not complain when they need to work longer hours.

Admiration

Current Employee - Development Services in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Development Services in San Diego, CA

I have been working at OliverMcMillan full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked as an employee or at a consultant company to OliverMcMillan for almost 20 years. This company has consistently been a leader in the commercial real estate industry, admired by everyone in the business. The CEO is a superstar and a warm, charismatic leader. It is a privilege to be part of this forward-looking company where art and design are so highly valued. Compensation is fair and more than most competitors offer, especially for creative work.

Cons

There is a lot of hard work for some but not all! You must be passionate and willing to work hard while ignoring that some do not put in the same hours.

Create more life, work balance so that team members don't burn out!

Gratitude

Current Employee - Senior MD in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior MD in San Diego, CA

I have been working at OliverMcMillan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I feel very fortunate to be part of an organization that values people and strives to create a positive work culture. I sincerely hope that this site helps convey and accentuate that OM is a great and special place to work.

Cons

It is unfortunate when a few disgruntled people can not work successfully within an organization, and their words and actions reflect negatively on the company.

Continue to be committed to the positive core OM values - get people on or off the bus to continue to achieve greatness.

Work hard, Play hard, Love my co-workers

I have been working at OliverMcMillan full-time

Pros

There's no question that you work hard at OliverMcMillan, but it is with fantastic people. The office environment is second to none, very non-corporate, very creative, very comfortable. Management is always striving to improve the company's culture.

Cons

It definitely can be stressful at times. Deadlines can sometimes be daunting. Sometimes feels like deadlines are artificial.

Would like more training and/or mentoring.

I feel lucky to be at OM

Current Employee - Accounting in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting in San Diego, CA

I have been working at OliverMcMillan full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Kind people who work hard and care about one another. A lot of loyalty and like my family. I have never had it better.
    I know most everyone at the company and see a lot of other happy people succeeding. Yes it's hard work but no one works harder than the people managing and leading OM.
    I'm lucky to have this place to call home.

Cons

I have nothing to criticize. If course I'd like to earn more money with time and I trust I will as I have watched others grow in position and compensation. Sometimes there are fire drills we should be able to avoid.

Keep trying to make it better. Don't be discouraged by negative people who are never happy and don't appreciate anything in life. Be brave and bold.

challenging yet progressive and rewarding if your heart is in it

I have been working at OliverMcMillan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have worked for two other companies in the industry and none of them come close to OM. The CEO is a bit eccentric but I really believe it is a result of his passion to be a level above the rest. the entire team he has in place seems to think outside the box and is committed to success. This is a place that you can earn promotions. people who keep their head down and work, rather than gossip about, are the ones that seem to grow with the company. The opportunities that are ahead are a clear sign that this is the place to be. There are projects in the works in multiple states across the US. I've never experienced a company that takes such good care of their employees. weekly company lunches and team outings are NOT rare. Just in the last 12 months there has been two events that were over the top. One that seemed like a wedding at Point Loma's NTC and just recently a company wide SD Padre event, where employees and family all left with take aways like jerseys and bags. Who ever plans these events spare no expense. I wake up every morning and head to work wanting to do good for OM. I hope to be here for the duration of my career.

Cons

Not too many, really. Just petty little things that tend to cause cancer in any work place. At the top of the list is the fact that there seems to be a generation of employees that have a huge sense of entitlement. people that haven't paid there dues with years of service yet stick their noses up at the fact that promotions/money aren't rapidly coming their way. To a fault, the CEO might create this entitlement because of the fact that he is so generous in his givings to the entire OM staff. The place would be a whole lot easier to work at if people quit whining about what they aren't getting and started concentrating on what will help the company as a whole. Because when things are good for the company, things seem to be good for everyone.

Recruit for people that are a bit more mature and experienced and look to hire more people to sustain the growth. Seems like people around me are spread thin.

Happy!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at OliverMcMillan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

CEO is a visionary with a huge heart and leadership cares, takes ownership and listens to the team. Company is in a high growth and high opportunity phase, exciting projects and overall great people! Fun and well done events for staff appreciation, employees enjoy one another and have genuine camaraderie. Lots of time and attention goes into creating a positive culture and environment for the team. Chef on staff, gym, amazing, hip and design savvy offices. I'm proud to be a part of it and hope to grow and contribute for years to come.

Cons

Urgent environment and workload is demanding but, the plus side is it offers challenge and learning. Youthful employees negativity and entitlement sometimes gets too much. Family benefits are expensive and no 401k matching.

I would like to see more efforts to support work-life balance and boundaries for personal time. Keep up the momentum of growth and stay open to feedback.

Employee Appreciation event

I have been working at OliverMcMillan as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company seems to be taking many efforts to unite the staff with great events like the employee appreciation. It was a genuinely nice event and it seemed like everyone was having a great time-- lots of friendly and cool people working at OliverMcMillan

Cons

It would have been nice is the CEO and other EC members came to support this event.... it would have been a great look for the company to have everyone there.

Outside Consultant with OliverMcMillan

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at OliverMcMillan as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

A great staff of people, smart and enthusiastic, a full range of ages and capabilities, all over the country. Have felt very fortunate to work with a company who is doing very innovative and new to the market type projects that will have long lasting effects on communities and economy of where their projects are located.

Cons

They can be difficult to work with at times, deadlines are short and sometimes come out of nowhere, it seems like everyone gets overwhelmed very easily because the work load can be intense.

To make sure that they are constantly connecting and supporting their co-workers on this crazy adventure.. the companies quick growth.