Ollie’s Bargain Outlet

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark Butler

Enjoyed my time there, for the most part...

Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee)

ProsI have been in retail/customer service for just about all of my working career. And, I gotta say, working at Ollie's was slightly better to working at Zayre's. Met some wonderful people! Better than average discount (20%) for just above min wage. "Good ole boys" club. Do encourage advancement with Ollie's University. I was lucky, caring managers and got along well with most staff members and customers. Properly trained management can make a world of difference. Receiving area is well maintained. Have to admit, the receiving staff at my store worked their butts off to unload those trucks in less than optimal work conditions. Manager did start an "appreciation" gift card. There was also "Olliewood" and Associate of the month, but they were never kept up. Did like being able to Kudo an associate who would go out of their way. I was not at Ollie's for a career. Just some extra money.

ConsWhere do I begin... Most of the front end cashiers are rude and have no personality. No smiles or welcome. Rules changed daily. Everything relies on threat of Termination. No set work schedule. Each week different and not posted until Thurs/Fri before. Too many fundraisers. Nickle/diming customers to death for months on end. Lounge is a joke. Bathrooms are disgusting. Need to find a better way to look up items for pricing. You have to be willing to go with the flow at Ollie's. Sr Mgmt did not go out of their way to introduce themselves. I still could not tell you who was who when I left. Most of all: Customers, as a rule, are pigs. They will trash the store in no time flat and steal you blind.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent with instructions. Don't talk down to us, we are adults and expect to be treated with respect. Wonder if management has read any of these comments left here. Just about all negative, but that tends to be the trend anyway. But, they are all pretty much the same gripe. Consider being able to scan the UPC code for pricing. The pricing system/look-up system is a joke. Same for looking up customer's numbers or adding them to the system. Let the front line do their job. If I was given a card and told I had to enter the information on line, I wouldn't do it (I don't).

Fantastic company to work for, wonderful benefits.

Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) Myrtle Beach, SC

ProsFull time benefits, Top shelf management team.Great work hours.

ConsMinimum wage to start, but raises every year.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused, and keep communicating.

A total joke!

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Horsham, PA

Pros20% off discount thats pretty much it

ConsThe CEO and the corporate office is full of idiots! An employee in this company is allowed 15 chances to not call and not show up before they can be fired! A normal job is 3! This would always put me in a bad position because then people knew they could just not show up and have their job tomorrow with no consequences. They called me on my ONLY days off begging me to come in even though it's not my fault they hire unreliable employees! They even told me I needed to LEAD people and act like a manager and take on extra responsibilities without the bump in pay! Are you kidding me no way! Hire people they actually SHOW up. And every fire or warning needs to be approved by corporate! And they don't care! So you could have someone not showing up or not doing their job and you'd have to wait 2 weeks for a response?! What if someone comes to the job drunk and high everyday? And then they risk a customer's life by lifting something and hitting someone or messing around and hurting them because they're under the influence? It STILL needs to be approved by corporate first! Ridiculous management and ridiculous hiring!

Advice to Senior Management15 chances? Why? Start punishing your lazy employees or they're going to keep being lazy and not showing up for work because they won't get into trouble!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a great place to work.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Newark, OH

ProsHaving a job.
    20% off discount.

ConsManagement is incompetent.
    Promises are not keep.
    Pay is barely above Minimum Wage.
    Employees are constantly talked down to and belittled.
    Disfunctional work environment

Advice to Senior ManagementI could not continue to work at that store and was forced to end my employment with them. 1st I should say that this store is very disfunctional. The store team leader and the Assistant Team Leader do not know how to properly run a store. New employees are not trained properly. They are thrown on register without the proper training and it is assumed they will be ok. They don't know how to properly answer the phone or how to page another associate. One little mistake can cause a huge line and angry customers. Employees are constantly talked down to and belittled. This is even more true with some of the older employees in the store. These managers make it so that it is a very uncomfortable work environment. I along with 2 other associates were actually promised raises and/or promotions but they were yanked away. I was promised a raise to $9.00 an hour and a CSA position in March. Then that was changed to me getting the Hardware/Housewares Sales Supervisor fulltime postition. I was then informed that wasn't going to happen anytime soon and that it wouldn't happen until June. I then started looking for another job which I found and once I approached the STL he proceeded to convince me to stay and accept a raise to $8.75 but yet I'd still wouldn't have the fulltime postition. I waited 3 weeks before I had had enough and was done. Another girl who did quit was promised the books supervisor position and a $9.50 pay rate during here interview yet that never happened which caused her to quit. Now they are stringing along another girl with the same thing (books supervisor postition). All of these reasons and many more make this an unfit work environment and is why I can no longer work for Ollie's. Thank you for your time.

Sales Supervisor

Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) North Canton, OH

ProsLots of opportunity for advancement, flexible hours, great management team, overall a great place to work for.

Cons"When it's gone, it's gone" The merchandise is almost never the same.

Limited cashiers

All items are priced by employees leading to a lot of price checks.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing, what you're doin!

Poor atmostpere

Co Team Leader (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsDiscount and fun place to work

ConsNo payroll, buyers have too much power no advancement with in at all unless u wash your bosses truck weekly

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being cheap and spend some money on stores and payroll. 4 people in a 40000 square foot store is nuts!!! Don't complain about shrink and sales! when u don't give us a good product and no payroll to to stop shrink. Any smart guy knows 4 people in store and if u see a truck at Dock free stuff cheap.

Great high energy people!

ProsEmployee discounts extend to family members, huge advancement opportunities if you're willing to do the work required to get there, and store managers are free to make merchandising decisions without tons of plan-a-grams.

ConsOpening too many new stores to focus on spending a few extra payroll dollars on the existing older stores. Customer complaints should be researched - blindly giving gift cards to habitual liars causes shrink. Antiquated ticketing and paperwork processes can also lead to higher shrink numbers. DTL's and higher ask for feedback, but are not really interested in any ideas but their own.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen the budget belt in the proper areas. Spend a solid 2 years bringing the older stores up to the level of the newer ones. It will never be Macy's, but enough with the concrete blocks! Give each store a few extra payroll hours so you can really take care of the guests and the associates on the front lines who pay all of our salaries.

Unorganized and Inconsiderate

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Westland, MI

ProsIt was a paycheck, I suppose. I worked there as a sales associate during a store's opening, and there was a real feeling to teamwork and cooperation between all of us at the bottom rung of the corporate ladder.

ConsManagement was completely incompetent. Their goal was to open a dozen or so new stores in Michigan within a year, and in order to attain that, they staged a grand opening at one store, picked a handful of people to be managers, and relocated them to another store to manage another grand opening. The result was that none of the managers at the store I worked at was very experienced. They were all new to the paperwork, scheduling, and all the other peculiar systems that upper management has in place, so it was extremely disorganized.

All new employees for the grand opening were told that half of us were going to be let go after the store was opened. This fact was repeated over and over again, in order to scare us all into working harder. Way to boost morale, guys.

The back room is often on the unsafe side, with freight boxes tossed halfhazardly everywhere because management rushes its workers so much. Stores are often pretty dirty and disorganized, too, since we're instructed to haul stuff out of boxes ASAP and shove it wherever it'll fit.

A common problem was that the schedules were changed bi-weekly, and were due to be posted a week before the current schedules ended. This never happened once in the three months I was employed there. There were multiple times where the new schedule wasn't posted until a day before it was set to begin. And if you had any kind of restrictions on your schedule, you could rest assured that the supervisors would completely forget about them.

There came a week where I was scheduled only on the days and times when I had college courses. I left immediately after that. A better education was more important than their pithy paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together. All your new stores will crumble if you only give lip service to things like teamwork, safety, and respect. Take the time to organize and nurture the growth of each store slowly, to ensure that they'll flourish. And ye gods, update your systems!

Also, the jokes you plaster over the walls in every store are really stereotyped and borderline-offensive in some cases. You don't need cheap jokes as a gimmick. "Good stuff cheap" works well as-is.

Extremely abusive management. Foul mouthed, threatening, constantly demeaning treatment of associates.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Clarksville, TN

ProsThe only pro is an $8 per hour paycheck? ... only if you are desperate for ANY work!

ConsI'm a former employee hired to do initial store set up in Clarksville, TN. I have been in retail and restaurant management for many years. This was the most abusive, condescending, threatening environment I've ever seen, with no respect to peoples' dignity. Humiliation was used daily as a tool to keep people in line is not an acceptable business model by any standard. Twice daily, at team meetings, multiple threats of termination were used to motivate people? It's one thing to expect productivity from an employee as compared to slave driving while cursing at the top of their lungs, never fast enough, treated like idiots, expected to rat each other out to upper management. It's a backstabbing culture; boot camp mentality. Drill sergeants yelling across the store. Constant pressure to perform at super-human levels. Having hired 60+ people for store set up, they announced the first day that their plan was to only have half left when the store was set up and in full operation. This was used many times per day as a scare tactic of termination to produce better employees?
    Fear
    Intimidation
    Insults
    Cursed at directly YELLING!
    Foul, sexual comments made daily!
    Perverted sexual jokes
    No collaboration between managers for consistent store organization.
    Who wants to work at only $8 per hour to be treated like that? What is human dignity worth?
    I quit, I wasn't fired!

Advice to Senior ManagementSince you don't have a heart, go to Wal-Mart and buy one - discounted!

Don't have a life outside of work

Sales Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsGet to meet some great people

ConsDo not promote from within much
    Have no life outside of work

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within and people will stay

Worked for Ollie’s Bargain Outlet? Contribute to the Community!