Ollie’s Bargain Outlet

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014
2.5

Mark Butler

Pros
  • The discount--20% which is the most I've seen any retail store give their associates, great for a first job (in 5 reviews)

• Fast paced work environment, freedom to choose your own merchandising style with minimal guide lines (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Not professional, bad management and upper management, any issues can be reported to (in 4 reviews)

• Pay is barely above Minimum Wage (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Management

Former Employee - Co Team Leader in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Co Team Leader in Albany, NY

I worked at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Prices are great! The buyers are the best in the business.

Cons

Communication needs improvement from top of the company to the bottom.

Will work over 55 hours a week. Lunch or dinner forget it!

Great Part Time Gig

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discounts on top of incredible low prices on a wide variety of brand name merchandise. Flexible schedule. Location is easily accesible near major interstate. Expanding through out the country.

Cons

There is extremely high turnover. Associates leave before you learn their names. Corporate expectations appear unrealistic based upon staffing levels.

Provide store management with adequate resources. The stores are large and it seems unrealistic to regularly only have a member of management, a cashier and one other associate scheduled to close due to limited hours. This allows limited time for recovery and provides a less than pleasant shopping experience to our valuable customers.

Love working for this company

Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor
    Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor

I worked at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Holiday pay for Supervisors was great!

Cons

Wish i was able to work more hours

Treat others the way you would want to be treated

Only if you're desperate for a job!

I have been working at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet

Pros

Co-Workers are great minus the drama and the lazy people!
    Discount is good.

Cons

STL doesnt know how to run a store.
    Ollie's policy is to delagate all duties to others while the STL just stands there
    Wrong people get promoted.
    CSA is not a promotion.
    Overworked for stupid pay

Listen to your employees,we know what we're talking about.
    Acknowledge others instead of degrading them.
    Illegal rules

The store I work at blows every bad management myth out of the water.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in North Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in North Charleston, SC

I have been working at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet part-time (more than an year)

Pros

> They were not kidding when they said they had a "people culture". Instead of the usual hierarchy of of mngr all the way down to sales associate, it felt more like employer to employee. If you messed up, they would tell you and help you so you didn't mess up again. And if you slipped a little, they'de remind you and leave you to your work.

It only took me a week just to get completely comfortable because there was almost no pressure. I just had to adjust fire and get my stuff done.

> I also like the employee discount. 20% off of everything and most of the prices are already lower than what you find out there. Walmart can burn for me at this point.

> Another thing I want to point out is that they don't hire random yahoos into management. Which is good because that keeps tribal knowledge within the store.

> Lastly, my management likes to keep everything flexible. They expect a little initiative from their employees and they usually take advantage of their employee's strengths when they find some. It helps boost the efficiency of the store.

Cons

The only things I have issues with is PTO and raises. You only get a raise every year and maximum raise given is 3% of your current pay. Your PTO rate is even worse. It sucks but then again its a bargain store. That and it is better working 11+ hours a day with less than half the pay on a military salary.

Also the customers... I don't like some of the customers we get. I especially HATE the ones that try to rip the store off with theft, ticket switching or when they try to get freebies and then complain when the associates tell them "that goes against our policy". Seriously people, if you pull that kind of crap in a liquidation store you need to go get a job.

Keep at it.

Would never work there again if it was the last place on earth to work!

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Only thing good was the 20% discount off of the already low prices.

Cons

Very very poor management! Lazy employees allowed to get away with anything, make there own rules and come and go as the please....let alone not following company policies!

Wake up and smell the coffee! Get rid of worthless lazy employees and take a look at who you put in management and make a supervisor otherwise this company will go down the tubes!

Do Not Work Here

Former Employee - Executive in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Executive in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet

Pros

If you have a job here, you're not unemployed.

Cons

All salaries except the CEO's are well below industry average, but the company still expects twice the work and 24 hour availability. Aost every executive is utterly incompetent. Despite company growth, upward mobility is near impossible. The company will promote you to a position with a lower title than your actual position and pay you less than industry average of they do "promote" you. There are no fringe benefits whatsoever. The benefits package is cheap and terrible.be prepared to pay for every doctor visit and teeth cleaning. No one who works there is happy because everyone is overworked and underpaid except the CEO. Look for work elsewhere. You could end up wasting your entire career being overworked, underpaid, and under appreciated if you accept a position with this awful company.

Quit and get a job somewhere else.

Dont do it!

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet

Pros

9.25 an hour raise and promotion after 1 month. Loved SOME of the people I worked with...

Cons

After new management came in the place went to hell.... Asked multiple times for more hours or full-time didn't even bother to help me. Yet they care so much about their employee. All they care about is their raises and cigarettes. PTO sucks, I got 4 hours every year that was it considering I was part-time. When it was time for me to take my 15 min break I would step outside and it wouldn't be 5 minutes into my break they "needed" me to come back in so bad. It's because they didn't want to be on the register. Failed to mention when new management came in she cut my hours. I was getting 8 hours a day about 4 days a week, she cut me to 6 hours so I wouldn't get a lunch, if you complain about not getting enough hours Sundays she would make you stay open to close. 9-6pm but you have to stay til 9 to clean up... Honestly I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone until they get new managements, it's sad one manager transferred to a different store because he couldn't handle it either.. I was their 2 years and I loved that place, but i couldn't handle the unfairness anymore.

Treat your employees the way you want to be treated. stop taking 30 minute cigarette breaks in your cars. Stop being on your phone all day, chewing other team leaders out for something that wasn't necessary, lose the attitudes, stop leaving together on lunch breaks and staying gone longer than your employees are allowed to take a lunch. You're losing amazing employees and customers because of the way you guys treat people.

Management creates the work atmosphere & currently, currently this store is dysfunctional.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Mooresville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Mooresville, NC

I have been working at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet

Pros

If you have the right leadership, you can gain knowledge and get promoted from within. Associates become like family.

Cons

Wrong leadership & management has created a high turnover rate. The work environment is stressful due to a manager who does not lead by example.

Take pride in your store. Lead by example. Don't use your authority to manipulate associates. Take responsibility for your actions. You reap what you sow. Give & show respect in order for you to receive the same. In 5 months, I've seen people come & go due to a lack in respect, delegation & leadership within management. If other stores within the company are successful, why can't this location be the same? Pull the weeds out in order for there to be growth in the company.

Almost impossible to succeed

Former Employee - Team Leader in Gloucester, VA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Gloucester, VA

I worked at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting, varied merchandise. Occasional good bargains, much of it is okay, priced a bit below what you'd expect. There is always something new there. Leadership varies greatly, from good to mediocre.

Cons

Staff turnover is ridiculously high; I suspect that is somewhat intentional.. Good people don't last long, usually. Very inconsistent management, some are competent, but they seem to attract some of the most oddball people you can ever remember. Physically challenging wrok. Challenges particularly in stocking products, you've got to be fast and efficient or you'll fall behind. They throw a lot of product at you and you have to get it out in short order. Their 'ads' are a joke - everything is the same price the day of the ad as it was the previous day. Hokey hand-made signage is the order of the day, which gives an inconsistent and often amateurish appearance to the whole store. Cleaning the bathrooms at night is a special treat. I can't even tell you what I've seen in there at the end of a day; disgusting. Stuff to keep you awake nights and taking two showers when you get home.

Get rid of mediocre or underperforming employees. Better compensation for those who are doing a good job. It might help if you could actually distinguish those two groups. I'm just sayin'...