Olympia Media Group Reviews

3.3
Evan Burns

1. Working for Olympia Media Group

I have been working at Olympia Media Group part-time

Pros

Great environment, supervisors, and the work is engaging.

Cons

No full time work at present for editors.

2. Editor-In-Chief

I worked at Olympia Media Group full-time

Pros

If you love to write and need experience, this is a great company to start with. You have the freedom to write about what you want for the most part so it doesn't feel like work.

Cons

As the Editor, I had to be in constant contact with myManaging Editor but she was impossible to get ahold of. I would go weeks before I would hear from her, even after sending literally over 20 text messages, leaving voicemails and emails. The upper management, simply put, sucked. They were disorganized and poor with communication.

Advice to Management

Hire Managing Directors who's sole focus is to manage the University staff.

3. Intense. Educational. Inspirational. Entrepeneurial.

Current Employee - Chief Technology Officer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Chief Technology Officer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Olympia Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is growing rapidly, has an awesome culture, EVERY employee is motivated and excited, they have great leadership. If you want to actually grow in your career, skills and life - this is THE best place to go. Olympia is a relatively young, up and coming company that's rapidly expanding and likewise has younger staff in that are passionate, focused and very eager to accomplish the shared goals of the company. The comradery, the dedication to the mission, the belief in success... all are unparalleled by any company I've ever had the opportunity to work with. It's an inspirational place to work. Being relatively small you're also not stuck in a single role doing the same monotonous task day in and day out. You're actually encouraged to grow and to do things that benefit not only the company, but you as a person.

Cons

The rapid growth, entrepreneurial mentality and passionate employees creates quite an intense environment - not for the weak of heart. If you want a laid back, easy job, where you can just get by... this is likely too aggressive of a place to work. Employees are encouraged to grow and most are very adamant about doing so. Those who achieve are rewarded and those who aren't worthy are let go. I've read most of the reviews on this site and having worked at Olympia I can actually put faces to most of the reviews. It's difficult not to biased in an attempt to offset the negative comments (although, I've done my best to do so). Therefore, this post mostly serves as a warning and description of what I honestly believe is the reason behind the majority of the negatives. Olympia, like all companies, makes mistakes - but there biggest single 'fault' is that they push employees too hard and those that don't grow or aren't willing to make the effort are often left feeling overwhelmed or even potentially discouraged. I'm assuming these bad reviewers are the same ones that wrote bad reviews for their Professors after failing a final - a final that the majority of the class aced. Just my two cents.

5. Student Brand Ambassador

Current Employee - Student Brand Ambassador
    Current Employee - Student Brand Ambassador

I have been working at Olympia Media Group

Pros

The supervisors or managers are very nice. They keep you updated, respond quickly, and are always available for questions or any help that you may need.

Cons

The work that I did was a little limited to working with students that were members of Greek organizations, so it made it a little harder to get as much work response and participants.

Advice to Management

Not much advice, everyone is tentative and helpful as far as all the opportunities that I've had working with them.

6. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Olympia Media Group

Pros

Lots of Potential to earn $$$. Great team to work for.

Cons

No Cons. Great company to work for.

7. Olympia Media Group offers many great opportunities to college students looking to get involved in publications.

Former Employee - Distribution Manager in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Distribution Manager in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Olympia Media Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Managers are very friendly, a very flexible schedule, a lot of opportunity for growth, gives you a lot of independence

Cons

I was in the Distribution Manager position, which basically means I delivered the papers. Nothing against Olympia specifically, I just didn't like delivering papers.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to keep in better contact with the employees. I felt like once I got the job they kind of forgot about me.

One Of The Fasting Growing Start Ups

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Olympia Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Culture, everyone is treated as equals, open to knew ideas, great team collaboration, very talented team players

Cons

Not necessarily a con to some, expect to work harder than you ever had and be part of a fast paced culture. Will be one of the most rewarding experiences personally and professionally.

9. Average

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Champaign, IL

I worked at Olympia Media Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Looks great on resumes. It helps with gaining real world experience. You learn what it's like to be a salesman. You have a chance to make real money as with most commission based jobs., (but you probably wont). It really is great experience. I would recommend it as a sophomore or junior interested in sales. Your senior year, I would look for a better internship.

Cons

Don't do it for the money. Commission structure is horrible. Making the company a $1,500 sale, only seeing $200 spread throughout a period of a few months. You don't get your money right away, and if you press the issue, they think you're doing it for the "wrong reasons." Also, the sell is quite difficult. The fact that the magazine is only seen by a fraction of the people on campus really turns most businesses off before you get to speak with them.

Advice to Management

Lay off. I worked ten times harder and hated my job much less when my first boss (who got promoted-- go figure) was in charge of my team. The second boss called me close to six times a day, and it became a chore to talk with him. Give the sales reps some room to breathe, and they will probably impress you.

10. Sometimes you have that one bad experience...

Former Employee - Creative in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Creative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Olympia Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours Relaxed Dress Code Technology was pretty modern A couple diamonds in the rough colleague-wise

Cons

Executive Management - Not all, but technically the majority, lacked appropriate interpersonal skills to handle work conflicts in a professional manner. On more than one occasion there were literal "fits of rage" from managers. I chalk this up to young blood and putting too many "alpha" types in a small start-up environment. Stressful Environment - many reasons for this, chief among them are unrealistic or reasonable goals set by management. Fraternization - this is one of the most obvious things you'll find wrong with the company. Compensation & Benefits - Low compared to industry averages even in the area, don't remember there being any real benefits offered by the company - or it was never really thoroughly explained to me.

Advice to Management

HR Department... You need one. Less mandatory book assignments, I'm sure you read that it was a great idea in some book, but it's rather annoying to read business/sales related material as a creative... Interpersonal skills building for management, that includes the reduction of fraternization. You may run a startup with a young group of 20-somethings that are (mostly) ex-frat and sorority, but you run a business, not a college dorm. You want to improve efficiency - don't model your office layout after The Social Network. Your sales people need quiet environments for calls, and your creative team needs an environment in which they can actually be creative by collaborating and not having to worry about being too loud for the sales and management teams.

11. I enjoy working for The Odyssey, Olympia Media Group.

I have been working at Olympia Media Group

Pros

You get tons of experience in the field. A paycheck every month. You get to work with talented writers and editors. Very rewarding in the long run.

Cons

The managing staff is unorganized. Not enough pay for the amount of work. High stress environment sometimes. Since working with college students, many do not take their job seriously.

Advice to Management

Hire more managing editors to help with work loads.

RSS Feed </> Embed