Olympia Sports Reviews

Updated April 21, 2015
75 reviews filtered by
2.6
Dick Coffey

Pros
  • A nice work environment for someone who enjoys sports and working with people (in 7 reviews)

• Decent discount, depending on what position you are in (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No one from upper management wants to listen to concerns yet there is an open door policy posted out back (in 12 reviews)

• Low pay no matter what position you are in for as long as you work there (in 11 reviews)

1. OK place to work. Good for a first job or second job, but not for a career.

I have been working at Olympia Sports

Pros

If you absolutely love shoes and working out it is a nice place to work, not as much if you don't. Easy to move into management.

Cons

Low pay with pathetic raises. Company sees all employees, at every level as expendable. Awful communication between the corporate office and the store level.

Advice to Management

Communicate better with the store level. Employees are clueless on objectives most of the time. Show more care for your dedicated employees.

2. Overall lacks quality management and is just an outdated company

I worked at Olympia Sports

Pros

Relaxed Work environment
    Decent part time high school job

Cons

Poor pay
    lack of hours
    Weak management

3. Lots of promises, not much fulfillment.

I have been working at Olympia Sports

Pros

Consistent hours for management, fun working environment, great discounts.

Cons

No one actually cares about your ideas to improve the company, everything to corporate goes in one ear out the other. You don't have a voice like they claim. The turn around with employment is the worst I've seen. No security measures with theft. You're responsible for constantly watching every shady person who walks in. Theft is rampant.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be a large corporation and so cheap at the same time. They pay the mini managers minimum wage, just like a regular part timer. It's disgusting.

5. Store Manager

I worked at Olympia Sports full-time

Pros

Get to know customers on a regular basis. Get to know your co-workers very well, almost like a family

Cons

Each and every store employee, from store manager down to every part-timer is under appreciated by home office and upper management. Way too much expected out of management for very little pay, no hours for help. The harder you work, the more they expect with zero acknowledgement, just more ridicule and bigger workloads.

Advice to Management

The turnover for this company is astronomical. maybe if you treat your employees like they matter and show your appreciation more you will be able to retain employees for longer. I feel like I gave it my all for the considerable time I was there, but over the past couple years it has been MISERABLE working for Olympia Sports when it used to be so enjoyable. I can honestly say getting a new job was such a relief being able to finally leave this company. Act like you care!

6. Good Company, Good Ideas

Current Employee - Manager Trainee
    Current Employee - Manager Trainee

I have been working at Olympia Sports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interacting with customers, decent benefits, company is based on good morals, backed with going above and beyond for customers making it easier to de-escalate customer complaint issues. Very easy to move up if you establish a good relationship with district manager and work hard. Great Employee discounts and friends and family sales. It's a tight knit company with good communication to the point where you could call up to the director of stores or possibly even the CEO if you had any type of customer issue or questions

Cons

Compensation is below the national average for most in the retail industry, be prepared to work long hours... like most retail jobs. A lot of housekeeping and busy work expected even during peak hours or seasons

Advice to Management

Consider compensation to at least national averages as a means to motivate and drive staff a little better. Managers and associates outside of the corporate office believe in the company and all that they do with generous bonuses but consider the store staff as well.

7. Fun people, not so good organization

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Olympia Sports

Pros

Great people to be around, small store so it was easy to navigate, good music, 20% discount on merchandise, great for people who are athletically inclined and have great knowledge of sports, usually flexible with hours

Cons

Terrible pay (worked there for two years and never got a raise), not many hours, cranky managers, competitors always seemed to have better product

8. Very fun with plenty of room to grow

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Middletown, RI
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Middletown, RI

I worked at Olympia Sports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Progress fast in the business and have opportunity to quickly move into management.

Cons

Too many managers working one shift. With a shift full of managers, not much gets done.

Advice to Management

Spread out the managers to different shifts.

9. ehh

Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Reading, PA
    Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Reading, PA

I have been working at Olympia Sports

Pros

the job is easy. it does not require a bachelors degree. its a great job for people who did not go to college

Cons

the pay is not very good. long hours for people who eventually become store managers.

Advice to Management

pay your employees more

10. Good first time job

I worked at Olympia Sports part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My coworkers made working at Olympia enjoyable. They also offered flexible hours and a store discount. My manager was reasonable when I needed time off.

Cons

My main negative is the pay. For entry level the pay is pretty low. Also at times when the store was slow things were pretty boring.

Advice to Management

hire more reliable employees who can cover for others.

11. Great

I have been working at Olympia Sports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back and enjoyable workplace. Worked there for a few summer and winter breaks and found it to be a good place to work.

Cons

Even though it wasn't the most difficult of jobs, I do with the pay was a little bit higher. The assistant managers were barely making over minimum wage.