Olympus Corporation of the Americas

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014
2.5

Karl Watanabe

Pros
  • There are some highly talented people here, lots of good people to collaborate with at all levels (in 8 reviews)

• The workers are all great people who want to get the job done and are committed to the companies success (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is more concerned with medical product success than consumer goods (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management has no clue about the imaging business (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

It is a very good place to work for as far I am concerned.

Former Employee - Forklift Operator  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Steady pay. so, so benefits ot when offered I would recommend it to any one.

Cons

Over all it is pretty good.

no comments

Company can be "clicky" to work for.

Former Employee - Production Coordinator  in  Center Valley, PA
    Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Center Valley, PA

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly workers in various departments. Nice atmosphere as building is modern and fairly new. Cutting Edge medical technology and progressive scientific staff.

Cons

Some of the HR Dept. is very dicey.... had a form of harassment from a co-worker that I was promised would end, but in the end, I ended up leaving as the HR Dept. began to look the other way. Favoritism ran the gamut here. Camera technology is starting to loose ground with the advance of cell phones/tablets. Professional camera gear enthusiasts probably would still benefit, for now.

When you say "Equal Opportunity Employer"...... mean it!

Company changes for the worse over the years.

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Had great products and technology. Had a god reputation and service at one time.

Cons

They keep reducing commissions and benefits over time. Their ethics at corporate level were an issue when I worked there. Many leaders were involved in financial scandal.

Retain quality reps and focus on ethics at highest level.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Cons are starting to outweigh the Pros...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Center Valley, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Center Valley, PA

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time

Pros

Excellent pay, cafe & daycare on-site, casual dress, summer hours, generous PTO time, community involvement are all positives. President of the Medical group is very intelligent, and very open and honest. I really feel that he wants to do what is right for employees, not just for the company. There are some highly talented people here, lots of good people to collaborate with at all levels.

Cons

1) Too many policies are at "manager's discretion"--work-life balance is non existent in some departments. If your manager has nothing better to do than work 80 hours a week and pass on summer hours, you are expected to do the same. 2) Upper management is completely out of touch with the day-to-day work of their underlings. 3) High growth in sales but no extra bodies on the inside to support the growth, which leads to some seriously overworked people. 4) Some people are somehow allowed to run amok and be rude/disrespectful to other employees and/or pretty much failing at doing their jobs, and their actions unchecked. Many managers have no backbone. 5) HR moves at a snail's pace to post jobs, pass resumes to managers for open positions, and provide support to discipline problem employees.

On the plus side, I don't fear being let go, since there is actually too much work for some departments to handle with the staff they have. However, some of us are losing our minds from being stressed and overworked, and despite having additional headcount in some of the budgets, upper management still isn't allowing managers to open up positions and bring in more help. Hire resources to support the areas of the business you want to grow--you can't expect significant growth in sales and not provide any infrastructure to support that growth. The company is growing, that's fantastic, but allocate your resources properly or you're going to lose some excellent people. You have talented people who have good ideas and solutions--LISTEN TO THEM.

Had high hopes. Had..

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good salary/benefits. No shortage of nice people, at least on their surface. Good start for experience in medical. And the fact that they are on top of the market in many segments is a powerful tool. Almost too powerful.

Cons

Depending on the product line, you are likely to be set up for failure right from the start. Since most resources are spent on existing market share protection there is limited availability for development in new markets. The lack of support, training, R&D, disruptive product development delays and lack of respect are common and your only option is to "deal with it". Management is often giving misleading initiatives and the MBO's often contradict what business on the street level tells you. Furthermore, there is a culture to where all emails cc everyone's managers that propagates the "CYA" mentality on all levels. Be ready for 30% of your work week to be devoted to administrative BS too.

I have nothing to say since management tend to hide behind the CRM metrics game to quantify the issues rather than qualify any problems with a simple phone call..

Constant fear of being let go due to re-organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Center Valley, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Center Valley, PA

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Most employees are friendly and easy to work with. Benefits and Pay are above average.

Cons

Difficult to get promotions based on good hard work. Everything is about who you socialize with and brown nose. More concerned with appearances than substance and results.

Get to know who does the real work to keep the administrative, systems and financial reporting work done and accurate.

Great company but a horrific boss. Very good compensation and benefits. Unfortunately sometimes one person can make your

Current Employee - Tax Manager  in  Southborough, MA
    Current Employee - Tax Manager in Southborough, MA

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary and benefits. The medical device division continues to set records. Blue jeans all the time is a great idea,

Cons

Very anal retentive leadership. Finance department full of good people but everything is compartmentalized. Like working in a morgue. They'll be shrinking the size of the cubes shortly. That'll be great for morale.

Pay attention to how directors tteat their direct reports.

Good product mix depending on the division you sell in

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Cutting edge products for surgeons.

Cons

Constantly changing the products sales reps sell. Too hard a line on discounting in a very competitive market where surgeons are often forced to compromise with hospital management on the price of the devices they recommend.

Stabilize the company soon. No more drip drip drip

Medical Systems Group

Former Employee - Endoscope Technician Associate
    Former Employee - Endoscope Technician Associate

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent benefits, good corporate policies ranging from communications to environmental. My understanding is that it's a good company to be part of, but only as long as you're in the right location. The regional service center I worked in was not the right location.

Cons

Many minor benefits are location-specific to corporate HQ in Pennsylvania and no equivalents are offered at smaller locations. While this is due to practical realities, it still made me feel that those of us in the smaller locations were regarded as less important since no effort was made to make up for it in other ways.

Also in my specific location there were problems with our branch manager's style of leadership, and with inadequate training. The amount of business we dealt with was growing rapidly due to consolidation of service centers and so by the time I left there were four technicians with 8-13 years experience and who knew everything, and six more who were all new and needed to learn everything. A technician cannot perform a repair until a trainer has signed-off that the technician has learned the repair to an acceptable level of proficiency, but due to the rapidly-grown workload there was insufficient time and resources to perform the needed training.

The pay was a major disappointment. Senior techs made quite good pay, but those of us who hadn't been there for many years did not. It was comparable to what I made previously at a very small (and notoriously cheap) family-owned business. This really does not reflect well of a major corporation that prides itself on the treatment of its employees. By the time I left, my skills and abilities and knowledge had all dramatically increased but my compensation had not.

The employee-review system and Management By Objective system was over-detailed and quite exhaustive, and ultimately as the employee, I felt that it didn't really amount to much. It documented that I continually improved as am employee but this was never reflected in compensation or any other means.

I did hope to move into a field-service position within the company but the employees in those positions are generally happy enough that they stay in them, so the positions never open. I would consider returning to Olympus in such a position, probably with a different division of the company and in a different geographic location, at a future time.

Compensation for less-senior employees needs to be better, and it needs to increase often-enough to encourage the employee. Make promotions and raises possible at any time, not just once a year after the review process.

And while few companies have the courage to do this, it would be very beneficial if Olympus would institute a system for underlings to evaluate their managers, and for it to have some weight.

Overall Good Memories at Olympus!

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas

Pros

Great people and work environment. Benefits are descent besides the health insurance ( you kind of get screwed in that aspect) . If you work hard enough and prove yourself they will funnel you to the top!

Cons

There was a lot of miscommunication and he said she said business. You really can't give advice to upper management.

Worked for Olympus Corporation of the Americas? Contribute to the Community!