Olympus Corporation of the Americas

Updated October 28, 2014
Updated October 28, 2014
2.6

Karl Watanabe

Pros
  • There are some highly talented people here, lots of good people to collaborate with at all levels (in 8 reviews)

• The workers are all great people who want to get the job done and are committed to the companies success (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is more concerned with medical product success than consumer goods (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management has no clue about the imaging business (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent company, especially for the Lehigh Valley

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Center Valley, PA

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some good, hardworking people. Community involvement, volunteerism promoted. The products really do help save lives.

Cons

Behind the times, still using Lotus Notes, too many approvals required for everything!!! Many decisions are made by Tokyo. Company prides itself on long hours. Those who don't work long hours, don't move up or get recognized.

Do something with the information you learn in employee surveys! Get rid of the bureaucracy, and give people more work-life balance.

Pretty good so far

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

I have an excellent manager so I can't complain. Compensation is pretty good and work life balance is good.

Cons

The product is old compared to the competition so it can be a challenge to sell. Not the most innovative of companies but there is some signs of improvement.

Technical Trainer

Former Employee - Technical Trainer in Largo, FL
    Former Employee - Technical Trainer in Largo, FL

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I actually felt a feeling of "family" with this company, at least in the beginning. I worked in the field as a Technical Trainer, and working with my colleagues onsite really felt like teamwork. As time went on, budget restraints minimized that somewhat, but enjoyed working with both my company cohorts, and our clients in the field.

Cons

Management was often inept on many levels, sometimes with their own company policy. My position offered no opportunities for advancement. Life-work balance was virtually nonexistent as much as I was on the road. There was a huge gap in what happened at corporate versus what went on in the field.

Get out in the field to educate yourselves on what is going on in the field. Keep up with the trends in the industry as well.

Average pay, no concern for the people. They will lay you off just to rearrange facilities.

Current Employee - Repair Technician Biomedical Equipment in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Repair Technician Biomedical Equipment in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good training, descent pay. Management is ad hoc; in that they hire and fire very readily in higher management positions. You may have been with the company 25 years and be laid off with little or no warning.

Cons

Expect too much lean manufacturing/5S quality.

I advise having living expense money saved up, as you never know when they will arbitrarily send your job to the West Coast to another repair facility without any warning.

It is a very good place to work for as far I am concerned.

Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Steady pay. so, so benefits ot when offered I would recommend it to any one.

Cons

Over all it is pretty good.

no comments

Company changes for the worse over the years.

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Had great products and technology. Had a god reputation and service at one time.

Cons

They keep reducing commissions and benefits over time. Their ethics at corporate level were an issue when I worked there. Many leaders were involved in financial scandal.

Retain quality reps and focus on ethics at highest level.

Company can be "clicky" to work for.

Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Center Valley, PA
    Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Center Valley, PA

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly workers in various departments. Nice atmosphere as building is modern and fairly new. Cutting Edge medical technology and progressive scientific staff.

Cons

Some of the HR Dept. is very dicey.... had a form of harassment from a co-worker that I was promised would end, but in the end, I ended up leaving as the HR Dept. began to look the other way. Favoritism ran the gamut here. Camera technology is starting to loose ground with the advance of cell phones/tablets. Professional camera gear enthusiasts probably would still benefit, for now.

When you say "Equal Opportunity Employer"...... mean it!

The Cons are starting to outweigh the Pros...

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time

Pros

Excellent pay, cafe & daycare on-site, casual dress, summer hours, generous PTO time, community involvement are all positives. President of the Medical group is very intelligent, and very open and honest. I really feel that he wants to do what is right for employees, not just for the company. There are some highly talented people here, lots of good people to collaborate with at all levels.

Cons

1) Too many policies are at "manager's discretion"--work-life balance is non existent in some departments. If your manager has nothing better to do than work 80 hours a week and pass on summer hours, you are expected to do the same. 2) Upper management is completely out of touch with the day-to-day work of their underlings. 3) High growth in sales but no extra bodies on the inside to support the growth, which leads to some seriously overworked people. 4) Some people are somehow allowed to run amok and be rude/disrespectful to other employees and/or pretty much failing at doing their jobs, and their actions unchecked. Many managers have no backbone. 5) HR moves at a snail's pace to post jobs, pass resumes to managers for open positions, and provide support to discipline problem employees.

On the plus side, I don't fear being let go, since there is actually too much work for some departments to handle with the staff they have. However, some of us are losing our minds from being stressed and overworked, and despite having additional headcount in some of the budgets, upper management still isn't allowing managers to open up positions and bring in more help. Hire resources to support the areas of the business you want to grow--you can't expect significant growth in sales and not provide any infrastructure to support that growth. The company is growing, that's fantastic, but allocate your resources properly or you're going to lose some excellent people. You have talented people who have good ideas and solutions--LISTEN TO THEM.

Constant fear of being let go due to re-organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Center Valley, PA

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most employees are friendly and easy to work with. Benefits and Pay are above average.

Cons

Difficult to get promotions based on good hard work. Everything is about who you socialize with and brown nose. More concerned with appearances than substance and results.

Get to know who does the real work to keep the administrative, systems and financial reporting work done and accurate.

Had high hopes. Had..

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary/benefits. No shortage of nice people, at least on their surface. Good start for experience in medical. And the fact that they are on top of the market in many segments is a powerful tool. Almost too powerful.

Cons

Depending on the product line, you are likely to be set up for failure right from the start. Since most resources are spent on existing market share protection there is limited availability for development in new markets. The lack of support, training, R&D, disruptive product development delays and lack of respect are common and your only option is to "deal with it". Management is often giving misleading initiatives and the MBO's often contradict what business on the street level tells you. Furthermore, there is a culture to where all emails cc everyone's managers that propagates the "CYA" mentality on all levels. Be ready for 30% of your work week to be devoted to administrative BS too.

I have nothing to say since management tend to hide behind the CRM metrics game to quantify the issues rather than qualify any problems with a simple phone call..

Olympus Corporation of the Americas Photos