Olympus Corporation of the Americas
www.olympusamerica.com Center Valley, PA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Olympus Corporation of the Americas Reviews

Updated Jun 29, 2014
Olympus Corporation of the Americas – San Jose – “2400 Ringwood, Olympus Repair/Refurbishment Center”

Karl Watanabe

Pros:
  • "A lot of really good people work for Olympus internally and externally"
    in 7 reviews
  • "The workers are all great people who want to get the job done and are committed to the companies success"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management is more concerned with medical product success than consumer goods"
    in 11 reviews
  • "The leftovers from long island are ruining the company"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The Cons are starting to outweigh the Pros...

Center Valley, PA

ProsExcellent pay, cafe & daycare on-site, casual dress, summer hours, generous PTO time, community involvement are all positives. President of the Medical group is very intelligent, and very open and honest. I really feel that he wants to do what is right for employees, not just for the company. There are some highly talented people here, lots of good people to collaborate with at all levels.

Cons1) Too many policies are at "manager's discretion"--work-life balance is non existent in some departments. If your manager has nothing better to do than work 80 hours a week and pass on summer hours, you are expected to do the same. 2) Upper management is completely out of touch with the day-to-day work of their underlings. 3) High growth in sales but no extra bodies on the inside to support the growth, which leads to some seriously overworked people. 4) Some people are somehow allowed to run amok and be rude/disrespectful to other employees and/or pretty much failing at doing their jobs, and their actions unchecked. Many managers have no backbone. 5) HR moves at a snail's pace to post jobs, pass resumes to managers for open positions, and provide support to discipline problem employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementOn the plus side, I don't fear being let go, since there is actually too much work for some departments to handle with the staff they have. However, some of us are losing our minds from being stressed and overworked, and despite having additional headcount in some of the budgets, upper management still isn't allowing managers to open up positions and bring in more help. Hire resources to support the areas of the business you want to grow--you can't expect significant growth in sales and not provide any infrastructure to support that growth. The company is growing, that's fantastic, but allocate your resources properly or you're going to lose some excellent people. You have talented people who have good ideas and solutions--LISTEN TO THEM.

Had high hopes. Had..

ProsGood salary/benefits. No shortage of nice people, at least on their surface. Good start for experience in medical. And the fact that they are on top of the market in many segments is a powerful tool. Almost too powerful.

ConsDepending on the product line, you are likely to be set up for failure right from the start. Since most resources are spent on existing market share protection there is limited availability for development in new markets. The lack of support, training, R&D, disruptive product development delays and lack of respect are common and your only option is to "deal with it". Management is often giving misleading initiatives and the MBO's often contradict what business on the street level tells you. Furthermore, there is a culture to where all emails cc everyone's managers that propagates the "CYA" mentality on all levels. Be ready for 30% of your work week to be devoted to administrative BS too.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have nothing to say since management tend to hide behind the CRM metrics game to quantify the issues rather than qualify any problems with a simple phone call..

Constant fear of being let go due to re-organization

Center Valley, PA

ProsMost employees are friendly and easy to work with. Benefits and Pay are above average.

ConsDifficult to get promotions based on good hard work. Everything is about who you socialize with and brown nose. More concerned with appearances than substance and results.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know who does the real work to keep the administrative, systems and financial reporting work done and accurate.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good product mix depending on the division you sell in

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsCutting edge products for surgeons.

ConsConstantly changing the products sales reps sell. Too hard a line on discounting in a very competitive market where surgeons are often forced to compromise with hospital management on the price of the devices they recommend.

Advice to Senior ManagementStabilize the company soon. No more drip drip drip

Great company but a horrific boss. Very good compensation and benefits. Unfortunately sometimes one person can make your

Tax Manager (Current Employee)
    Southborough, MA

ProsSalary and benefits. The medical device division continues to set records. Blue jeans all the time is a great idea,

ConsVery anal retentive leadership. Finance department full of good people but everything is compartmentalized. Like working in a morgue. They'll be shrinking the size of the cubes shortly. That'll be great for morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to how directors tteat their direct reports.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Medical Systems Group

Endoscope Technician Associate (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits, good corporate policies ranging from communications to environmental. My understanding is that it's a good company to be part of, but only as long as you're in the right location. The regional service center I worked in was not the right location.

ConsMany minor benefits are location-specific to corporate HQ in Pennsylvania and no equivalents are offered at smaller locations. While this is due to practical realities, it still made me feel that those of us in the smaller locations were regarded as less important since no effort was made to make up for it in other ways.

Also in my specific location there were problems with our branch manager's style of leadership, and with inadequate training. The amount of business we dealt with was growing rapidly due to consolidation of service centers and so by the time I left there were four technicians with 8-13 years experience and who knew everything, and six more who were all new and needed to learn everything. A technician cannot perform a repair until a trainer has signed-off that the technician has learned the repair to an acceptable level of proficiency, but due to the rapidly-grown workload there was insufficient time and resources to perform the needed training.

The pay was a major disappointment. Senior techs made quite good pay, but those of us who hadn't been there for many years did not. It was comparable to what I made previously at a very small (and notoriously cheap) family-owned business. This really does not reflect well of a major corporation that prides itself on the treatment of its employees. By the time I left, my skills and abilities and knowledge had all dramatically increased but my compensation had not.

The employee-review system and Management By Objective system was over-detailed and quite exhaustive, and ultimately as the employee, I felt that it didn't really amount to much. It documented that I continually improved as am employee but this was never reflected in compensation or any other means.

I did hope to move into a field-service position within the company but the employees in those positions are generally happy enough that they stay in them, so the positions never open. I would consider returning to Olympus in such a position, probably with a different division of the company and in a different geographic location, at a future time.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation for less-senior employees needs to be better, and it needs to increase often-enough to encourage the employee. Make promotions and raises possible at any time, not just once a year after the review process.

And while few companies have the courage to do this, it would be very beneficial if Olympus would institute a system for underlings to evaluate their managers, and for it to have some weight.

Overall Good Memories at Olympus!

ProsGreat people and work environment. Benefits are descent besides the health insurance ( you kind of get screwed in that aspect) . If you work hard enough and prove yourself they will funnel you to the top!

ConsThere was a lot of miscommunication and he said she said business. You really can't give advice to upper management.

Good learning experience, but Co-Ops are not considered real people.

R&D Co-Op (Former Employee)
    Norwood, OH

ProsYou learn a lot about the medical industry. Most of the people there are easy to get along with.

ConsYou have to find your own housing. If there is something going on like a health day (diet consulting, massages, training advice from professionals, etc.) you are not allowed to attend.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are definitely managers that should not be in management.

Sales Engineer Industrial Microscopes

Sales Engineer (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsFair Pay, company car, health care

ConsSales Manager from Hell, micro management of sales reps. glad they are gone.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

A Tale of Two Companies

ProsSite Management and people in the facility are fantastic

ConsUpper management above site level have misguided initiatives and are making poor decisions based on wrong information. Career opportunities are limited with all of the closures

Advice to Senior ManagementThe clean up after the scandal did little to eliminate the problems

Worked for Olympus Corporation of the Americas? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Olympus Corporation of the Americas reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Olympus Corporation of the Americas CEO Karl Watanabe. All 100 reviews posted anonymously by Olympus Corporation of the Americas employees.