Olympus Corporation of the Americas

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Nacho Abia

Pros
  • There are some highly talented people here, lots of good people to collaborate with at all levels (in 8 reviews)

• Great people and work environment (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • You really can't give advice to upper management (in 12 reviews)

• The lack of support, training, R&D, disruptive product development delays and lack of respect are common and your only option is to "deal with it" (in 3 reviews)

1. Administrative Assistant

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Center Valley, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Center Valley, PA

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time

Pros

Comraderie, good health benefits, matching 401K up to 6%, good HR department, beautiful grounds (in Center Valley, PA new corporate headquarters), flex-time hours, their focus on enhancing people's lives every day and helping people enjoy the continuum of life by being a precision technology leader, designing and delivering innovative solutions in its core business in various areas. Believed in family coming first whenever there was a family issue that you needed a day off for.

Cons

Too much turnover at the executive level of management, poor security with very valuable equipment, not very good role models of management with constant criticism instead of commendation when a job was well done, did not have backup in some of my responsibilities when I was on vacation, so when I came back from vacation, I would be overloaded with work, and my boss would sometimes give me a hard time giving me overtime to make it up. Had many town hall meetings keeping employees abreast of what was happening within the company in all divisions, including the parent company in Japan,

Advice to Management

Give people more positive feedback when they do a good job; have more training in areas where people need it. Give better percentage of raises.

2. Fantastic People to work with

Former Employee - Manager, Associate in Levittown, NY
    Former Employee - Manager, Associate in Levittown, NY

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

All the people were a pleasure to work with. I enjoyed my tenure there. Good benefits. Professional people. Everyone really knew their jobs and shared knowledge.

Cons

I wish Tokyo management took ethics as seriously as we were all held to.

Advice to Management

I really don't have any to give. Keep doing what you do best and I wish you continued success in the future.

3. Regional Sales Manager

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best Boss in Southern California.

Cons

Small company, with a few small companies issues.

Advice to Management

Good Job

5. IT review

Pros

Close to home. Great commute!

Cons

No vision for the future. Our customers, aka our sales people are the most important but when we mention that the IT infrastructure is outdated and needs to be updated to support those sales people there's lots of resistance. Nobody ones to spend a buck on anything.

6. OSTA / Gyrus ACMI

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southborough, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southborough, MA

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas (More than 5 years)

Pros

great group of people in the office and on project teams

Cons

direction set by Japan and Germany which puts a ceiling on growth for US folks and can have culture challenges as well recently restructured and have limited the market segment for the Southborough product development team

7. From a technician's prospective...

Former Employee - Technician in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Technician in San Jose, CA

Pros

The company's favorite motto is "job stability."

Cons

A lot of favoritism, in ALL forms: sexism, cronyism, nepotism and racism. In other words, you need to have the "hook up" with upper management in order to advance- no matter how hard you work or how much knowledge you have acquire throughout the years. Someone in power needs to like you either because you are from their same race, a male, a relative or their friend/buddy- plain and simple. There is no promotion from within and most supervisors/leads and seniors have a serious lack of professionalism!!

Advice to Management

Hire capable leads, promote capable employees to Seniors... train the future leaders from within.

8. Olympus

Pros

great benefits for their employees

Cons

management unorganized, very hard to work with internal folks

9. Coordinator

Pros

Great company, great colleges. good manager

Cons

Can't really tell since I was a contractor

10. Great place to work, many changes taking place.

Pros

People are nice and environment is not hostile. Many organizational changes taking place internally which can lead way for future opportunity.

Cons

Medical device is a challenging industry, and the cons are similar to those of other large med device companies - tight regulatory guidelines, changing healthcare environment.

Advice to Management

Focus on developing management and offering opportunities for middle management to learn, grow and better manage their teams.

11. Great Benefits No Room to Grow

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits were great. Lots of PTO time, daycare onsite, work from home options.

Cons

no room to advance. Only the chosen advance, most jobs are dead end and there is no opportunity to move up and no opportunity to change positions.

RSS Feed </> Embed