Olympus Corporation of the Americas

Updated November 16, 2014
Updated November 16, 2014
2.6

Karl Watanabe

Pros
  • There are some highly talented people here, lots of good people to collaborate with at all levels (in 8 reviews)

• The workers are all great people who want to get the job done and are committed to the companies success (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is more concerned with medical product success than consumer goods (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management has no clue about the imaging business (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time

Pros

Great people to work with management cares about both work and home life. Have awesome benefits

Cons

It does not pay that much
    not much room for advancement

not much

Thoughtful, caring company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Center Valley, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Center Valley, PA

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent work environment, community involvement, almost no company politics, intelligent leaders, high quality products

Cons

Not as integrated into the global company's R&D as would benefit the success of the Americas business, Japanese leaders placed in American positions may not lead as strongly as the Americas business requires

Place more value on the investments you have already made and their ability to bring long term value to the company. This includes assets both tangible and intangible, employees and reputation.

Decent company, especially for the Lehigh Valley

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Center Valley, PA

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some good, hardworking people. Community involvement, volunteerism promoted. The products really do help save lives.

Cons

Behind the times, still using Lotus Notes, too many approvals required for everything!!! Many decisions are made by Tokyo. Company prides itself on long hours. Those who don't work long hours, don't move up or get recognized.

Do something with the information you learn in employee surveys! Get rid of the bureaucracy, and give people more work-life balance.

Pretty good so far

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

I have an excellent manager so I can't complain. Compensation is pretty good and work life balance is good.

Cons

The product is old compared to the competition so it can be a challenge to sell. Not the most innovative of companies but there is some signs of improvement.

Slow-moving company with outdated systems and little training or support

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Center Valley, PA

Pros

competitive pay and clean bathrooms

Cons

900+ employees at the center valley office. if you want to feel like a nameless body occupying a cube, this is the place for you

The job description completely oversold the company and the requirements of the position. It's like the company lies to get qualified people to join. There is no sense of a common goal or office culture. There is no support or training offered. I cannot wait to find a decent workplace again and give notice. It's hard to believe places like Olympus still exist and think they can run their offices this way..

Technical Trainer

Former Employee - Technical Trainer in Largo, FL
    Former Employee - Technical Trainer in Largo, FL

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I actually felt a feeling of "family" with this company, at least in the beginning. I worked in the field as a Technical Trainer, and working with my colleagues onsite really felt like teamwork. As time went on, budget restraints minimized that somewhat, but enjoyed working with both my company cohorts, and our clients in the field.

Cons

Management was often inept on many levels, sometimes with their own company policy. My position offered no opportunities for advancement. Life-work balance was virtually nonexistent as much as I was on the road. There was a huge gap in what happened at corporate versus what went on in the field.

Get out in the field to educate yourselves on what is going on in the field. Keep up with the trends in the industry as well.

Average pay, no concern for the people. They will lay you off just to rearrange facilities.

Current Employee - Repair Technician Biomedical Equipment in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Repair Technician Biomedical Equipment in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good training, descent pay. Management is ad hoc; in that they hire and fire very readily in higher management positions. You may have been with the company 25 years and be laid off with little or no warning.

Cons

Expect too much lean manufacturing/5S quality.

I advise having living expense money saved up, as you never know when they will arbitrarily send your job to the West Coast to another repair facility without any warning.

It is a very good place to work for as far I am concerned.

Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Steady pay. so, so benefits ot when offered I would recommend it to any one.

Cons

Over all it is pretty good.

no comments

Company can be "clicky" to work for.

Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Center Valley, PA
    Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Center Valley, PA

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly workers in various departments. Nice atmosphere as building is modern and fairly new. Cutting Edge medical technology and progressive scientific staff.

Cons

Some of the HR Dept. is very dicey.... had a form of harassment from a co-worker that I was promised would end, but in the end, I ended up leaving as the HR Dept. began to look the other way. Favoritism ran the gamut here. Camera technology is starting to loose ground with the advance of cell phones/tablets. Professional camera gear enthusiasts probably would still benefit, for now.

When you say "Equal Opportunity Employer"...... mean it!

Company changes for the worse over the years.

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Had great products and technology. Had a god reputation and service at one time.

Cons

They keep reducing commissions and benefits over time. Their ethics at corporate level were an issue when I worked there. Many leaders were involved in financial scandal.

Retain quality reps and focus on ethics at highest level.

Olympus Corporation of the Americas Photos

2400 Ringwood, Olympus Repair/Refurbishment Center
The Americas Headquarters was the first land purchase by Olympus in the US.
Employees at all levels are encouraged to voluteer hours that are matched with company financial donations to local organizations.

+ Add Photo