Olympus NDT

Updated December 4, 2014
Updated December 4, 2014
2.9

CEO

Not a bad place to work. A little too much backstabbing from current employees, but chance for advancement is high

I have been working at Olympus NDT (more than 3 years)

Pros

Advancement opportunities
    Health Benefits
    Monthly employee events
    Employee idea program and implementation
    Competitive salaries

Cons

Sterile atmosphere
    Too much office gossip
    Not as innovative as it could be
    Management is disengaged
    Morale roller coaster

Too much focus on the same old. Need a better way to move forward with procedure and process. Management always seems to only get involved if something goes wrong but doesn't praise when things are right, this affects morale.

Stable Workplace, Interesting Politics, and Uptight Atmosphere

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Waltham, MA

I worked at Olympus NDT full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get the opportunity to work with a product that makes the world a better and safer place. The technology is quite interesting, and you really do have the opportunity to impact society in a great way.

Cons

My experience is quite unique. My boss here was amazing and extremely passionate about his work. Unfortunately, that was not enough to brighten the experience.

The office environment is quite uptight. There is an air of oppression in the halls. The open atmosphere would work great for a hip technology company, but unfortunately it just breeds an environment of micromanagement. Unfortunately, there is not an atmosphere to facilitate a fun work environment. People see their work as work (not a passion), and for some reason you are encouraged to be serious.

I worked as a sales engineer for the company, and this department had a lot of issues. On the one hand, you're in a special position to get involved in all aspects of the company. However, you are treated like a child on curfew. You work in shifts, and must show up exactly at the same time each day. Sales engineers can't take lunch breaks together, which is terrible for team building. If you show up a couple minutes late one day, then you should expect to hear something about it - even if you're routinely staying late for the company and contributing a lot.

Again, you are not encouraged to have fun at work (publicly). It was always nice when I got to train the sales team or travel, because I could be myself behind closed doors or out of the office. It is those times that I had the most impact, so it is silly that they would encourage anything else.

I was a high performer, and before I left I had the opportunity to share my reasons for leaving. I met personally with senior management, and my complaints were quickly dismissed as trivial. I was told that I think too much, and dismissed as 'young'. It is a shame they can't open their eyes. If things don't change, this place will not keep or attract young talent, and it has the potential to be an awesome place to work.

Put a massive amount of effort into making the workplace relaxed and enjoyable. Let people have fun at work! There is a lot of research that shows that happy employees who look forward to work will be much more productive.

For the Sales Engineers, you should definitely encourage more teamwork. Quit treating them like children on a curfew. These are bright engineers who should be given an autonomous, fun work environment. Open your eyes! The good SE's keep leaving. There's a reason why!

Finally, I truly believe there should be an intervention here. Place people in conference rooms and let them get their tension out. Encourage them to be honest with each other and really share how they feel. It sounds silly, but it is exactly what this place needs.

If you work there, you know what I mean :)

Olympus NDT is a stable organization that encourages its employees at all levels of the organization to contribute.

Current Employee - Administrative in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Olympus NDT full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Benefits are great
    -Compensation is definitely market based and fair
    -Senior Management encourages participation and input from all levels of employees
    -Management is always open to reviewing and reconsidering policies, procedures
    -Company has been in existence (sometimes under different names RD Tech, Panametrics etc) for over 40 years
    -Olympus has a diversified customer base and thus has done an excellent job at buffering the bottom line from economic/ market conditions
    -Olympus Management is driven by strong ethics and moral compass and holds every employee same standards
    -The products that Olympus develops, manufactures and sells improve the lives, safety and well-being of millions of people around the world.

Cons

No onsite gym or daycare

Consider more work from home opportunities for those employees who have the type of job that is conducive to that

Olymps NDT was an excellent, modern company to work for.

Former Employee - Master Scheduler/Production Planner
    Former Employee - Master Scheduler/Production Planner

I worked at Olympus NDT full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits were offered and were always changing to suit the needs of the employees. Lean initiative programs worked so well and offered the employees more than participation in their day to day work product.

Cons

Long commute and little opportunities for career growth. After a while, it became the same old thing everyday. Meanwhile, the business as a whole was buying other companies that were unsuccessful at growth and work force reduction became very present in the last 2 years.

Create opportunities inside the company for employees.

Good experience and a stepping stone, but culture stifles personal growth and advancement

I worked at Olympus NDT full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

High quality products, lots of application know-how, some very good and dedicated people. Only rarely required to put in more than 40 hours/wk, solid benefits

Cons

Lack of opportunity for growth within the sales group, very low pay, difficult for young and talented sales engineers to get their voices heard; it felt like management made decisions in a vacuum time after time without asking for input from people who actually talk to customers. Very little upward mobility within sales; no significant pay raises and no promotions for 5 years even to those who win salesperson of the year award

In general, inside sales engineers are treated as if they are children on a curfew. Lunches are limited to 30 minutes. No two people in the same group are allowed to take lunch at the same time (awesome for morale and team building). Apparently management's goal was to never have a customer or outsides sales rep get voicemail, ever. It's nice to get a person on the phone every time for sure, but at what cost? Mind you, these are very smart guys and gals, almost all of them with engineering degrees, tasked with doing advanced consultative selling and problem solving for a very technical product line. These are not just warm bodies making cold calls. When I was fresh out of college I thought this kind of treatment was normal from an employer, but now realize I was getting completely hosed. It is easy to underestimate one's value in the open market when you think this treatment is 'normal'.

Many employees are warm bodies that could care less about the quality of their work, so long as their manager leaves them alone.

If you can continue to get bright engineers to come on board right out of school, drink the kool-aid, and hope they don't realize they are more valuable elsewhere, then by all means do so. Perhaps this will not prove to be a winning strategy in the long run, though.

Was good until management changes at both local and corporate levels

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in State College, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

I worked at Olympus NDT full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company has good benefits, good paid holidays.

Cons

Favoritism, unprofessional, poor training, no room for advancement, stiff-necked management, unsafe working conditions.

Management needs to value people more rather than worry about the advancement of a few.

Stable but mismanaged

Current Employee - Accounting in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Accounting in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Olympus NDT full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stable company, growing and consolidating subsidiaries in Waltham office

Cons

Recently instituted timeclocks for all hourly employees, not flexible in any way, a lot of red tape and lack of transparency

Loosen up and keep the employees up to date

Slow, plodding, out-of-date

I have been working at Olympus NDT

Pros

The people are nice individually.

Cons

Not innovative, poor training for those in management, stultifying environment, disregard for their employees, about 10 years behind the times for standard office procedures (i.e., wi-fi doesn't work in parts of the building, an intranet based on Sharepoint that's about 12 years old, don't have an IT department that supports both PCs and Macs)

Modernize, both yourselves and your business processes.

Lots of good work and projects

I have been working at Olympus NDT full-time

Pros

The company has hired a lot of people in the last year, so there is a good mix of 10+ year employees and newer employees bringing in new ideas. Business has been very good, lots of new development going on and challenging work. There has been a lot of employee training too.

Cons

No profit sharing but good pay and benefits

Old fashioned and boring workplace, living in the 80s, not fun at all

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Olympus NDT full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They just renovated the offices that's pretty much the only pro that I can't think of. The management and employees are still the same old people in a highly specialized industry. Extremely old people working there, I can probably count with one hand the people under 30 working there. Compensation and benefits are ok I guess. But if you're looking for job satisfaction and feeling like you're accomplished something at the end of the day, no DOT work here.
    Management is like a club, if you're not a member forget about being heard. The CEO does not even work there, he lives in Japan and the day to day operations is handled by the COO who is a fairly nice guy.

Cons

Extremely boring industry where nothing has happened in the past 25 years. Old anti-social people looking to retire fairly soon.

Be nice to employees and try to bring in a younger generation to grow the company.