Omaha Steaks

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
3.1

Bruce A. Simon

Nice part time sales job

I worked at Omaha Steaks for more than a year

Pros

Working at the store has a nice atmosphere with great co-workers. The employee discounts is good.

Cons

-Not much room for advancement.
    -Very slow at times.
    -Some months it is impossible to meet sales goals with low customer traffic.

One of the best places in Omaha to work ... 10 years ago.

Former Employee - Management  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Management in Omaha, NE

I worked at Omaha Steaks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

This company was a fabulous place to work in the past. Great career opportunities, family friendly, top flight management, energizing work environment, outstanding benefits.

Cons

Brought in outside management that has turned the place into a sweat shop. Cutting benefits to employees like crazy. What a sad turn of events for what was such a great Omaha company.

None. Wouldn't listen anyway.

Retail Accountant

I worked at Omaha Steaks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great co-workers that create lifelong friendships
    Good discount program
    Ability to learn many aspects of a field and the company
    Wide variety of positions and locations

Cons

Omaha Steaks needs to provide more management training to provide employees with career advancement and empowerment.
    Lack of technology innovation.

Help build career paths to keep highly qualified employees at Omaha Steaks

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

it was ok

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Omaha, NE

I worked at Omaha Steaks part-time for less than a year

Pros

being able to try new products and the bonus

Cons

making sales regardless of peoples financial issues

Worst place to work for

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Mansfield, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Mansfield, MA

I worked at Omaha Steaks part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I use to like working here until this past year.

Cons

6 years with the company. They were going to fire me because my ticket was too low....so I quit first.

They need to appreciate there employees. I never called out, did my job the best I could and they were going to fire me after 6 years because of my average ticket.

Well-run family owned retail business

Former Employee - Store Sales Representative  in  Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Store Sales Representative in Marietta, GA

I worked at Omaha Steaks part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The hours are very reasonable. Compensation is good for the work. There is opportunity for advancement, and they even offer tuition compensation if you are enrolled in relevant college coursework, in addition to some paid holidays and a 401k plan with matching.

Cons

Upper management seems slightly disconnected from what is going on at the retail level sometimes.

Listen to what the "front-line" employees have to say regarding in-store environment and promotions.

Customer service on the phone working with high-schoolers around me

Current Employee - Direct Sales Professional  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Direct Sales Professional in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Omaha Steaks part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great sales experience and training. Omaha Steaks experience can easily be leveraged for future positions with different companies.

Cons

High turnover and low pay. Unethical sales techniques at times but not for the most part

Do not drop pay after 10 weeks to save money on turnover costs. If anything, reduce the pay from the start, but do not drop it. What do i know though, I'm sure you have analysts who know more about the costs.

Good benefits, annoying job

Current Employee - Store Sales Representative  in  Cranston, RI
    Current Employee - Store Sales Representative in Cranston, RI

I have been working at Omaha Steaks part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits for part timers

Cons

Annoying rich customers, you must love sales to like this job

Retail Sales

Former Employee - Store Sales Representative

I worked at Omaha Steaks part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great manager and sales team at my store. Clean work environment, easy job.

Cons

Too many sales to keep track of, business model seems to change for retail store constantly. No open dialog between retail stores and corporate. Feel like we were on an island and not actually part of the company that was cared about. The sales goals are very hard to meet at times.

Go visit your stores. Listen to employees, better incentives to meet the very hard goals to achieve. Give each store more power to create their own business plans.

Easy job with lots of down time but always tough to make monthly and yearly numbers

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at Omaha Steaks part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay was ok. Probably not competitive. The job had a lot of downtime if there wasn't a big sale going on.
    Job helped me improve my sales and customer service skills.
    Benefits were good. Employee matched 401K, plus there was other benefits.
    A lot of good customers which helped to make sales process a lot easier.
    Management was patient, (at least with me), because I did make some mistakes early on there, but they gave me a long leash which kept me working there for as long as I did.
    Storing and saving customer information was easy which made it helpful to look up products they had purchased within a 1 yr time frame.
    Work you don't have to take home with you.
    Good education assistance program. I took advantage of it multiple times.
    Managers do their best to work with you if you have school going on. They try to be flexible.
    Some room for advancement/growth, but not much. First step is Sales Rep, then MGR, then Dist MGR.
    You may often be scheduled for 9-10 hr days, but you still have time to do stuff on your own afterwards, provided you're not too exhausted bc most stores aren't open past 7, 8 o'clock.

Cons

Always tough to reach monthly and yearly goals and numbers. If the store had a good month and hit their numbers, the numbers would be raised for the next month, yet the same crappy, low-end coupons would be sent out. There would always be opportunities to add on to the sale but a lot of customers already knew what they wanted. We were trained to be super aggressive and not take, "no" for an answer.

Coupons were always conflicting and often times prices on an in-store flier would be different than what was being sent to the customer, what they were seeing in an e-mail, etc...

About 3-4 times a year, the company would run a weekend sale in which everything in the store would be 50% off. That was great except for the multiple other coupons that would be running at the same time, often times with items priced less than 50%. Too many codes and coupons to remember to keep everything straight. They used to only run them once, maybe twice a year, but I guess they needed to increase their overall numbers.

Items on coupons and packages hardly ever changed. Always the same, boring items. At each year end review, management always found something you had to improve on, even if you hit your numbers and had no real problems whatsoever.

If you had a key to the store as well as an alarm code, you would be on the stores list of numbers to call in case there was an emergency. Managers would be called first, but if they were unavailable/couldn't make it, you might get the call. If the freezer goes down, or there's a power outage or whatever, it might be 2 in the morning, but you would have to go to the store to take care of it(This didn't happen often, but it doesn't mean it never did or never will).

Stores always had/received products that didn't sell and would often times sit in the freezer for months. Most product categories simply had too many products. 10 different deserts just isn't necessary.

This was my biggest problem with the company- Working alone a lot of the time for 9-10 hrs a day can be tiring and draining, even if it isn't a busy day. There's only so much stocking, cleaning, etc... you can do. I don't mind working alone, a lot of the time it had its advantages, but you weren't allowed to take an official break and eat. If you're in the middle of your lunch and a customer walks in, you have to help them. You can't always eat when you want, especially if you have a busy day. If it's 12 noon and your hungry and there's 5 customers in the store, you can't eat until they leave and who knows if more customers would walk in. It always seemed to work out that I would be eating on a slow day, and multiple customers would walk in at the same time, while I'm eating, after going possibly an hr or two with no customers at all. If I had to go #2, I would close down the store, provided there were no customers there at the time, and just put a sign up on the door.

Introduce your right hand to your left hand and get the two talking. Have the e-mail dept, the in-home mail dept and the online dept all work together so if there is the same item on two different coupons they can be priced the same when hitting customers' homes. This will avoid conflicting prices on the same item but on different coupons/fliers.
    Stop running the 50% off sale so often. It prevented customers from shopping as often. Instead of shopping every couple weeks they would only shop during the sale bc they were trained on when it would be. They would probably spend more money shopping more frequently rather than 3-4 times a year during the 50% off weekend sale.
    Be more consistent/realistic with sales numbers. Have people who actually worked in the store work in your marketing dept so they know what's realistically going on in the stores and won't have their heads in the clouds and their thumbs up their butts.

Worked for Omaha Steaks? Contribute to the Community!