Ombudsman Educational Services

Employment Status

Reset
2.4
Mark Claypool

1. Ombudsman Does what is best for the students!

I have been working at Ombudsman Educational Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I believe in the Ombudsman mission! Ombudsman does what is best for kids. I like the staff I work with and enjoy working with the students as well. Being part of the leadership team I have learned many skills throughout the years that have made me a better support for the teachers.

Cons

Traveling to centers can be a challenge, but I knew it was part of the job.

Advice to Management

Continue to support the center staff, they are the true face of Ombudsman.

2. Ombudsman

Current Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ombudsman Educational Services

Pros

Nice people to work with, caring supervisors.

Cons

Low pay compared to public schools. No free benefits either.

Advice to Management

Please hire licensed professionals and pay them well enough to avoid turnover

3. Teacher

Current Employee - Ombudsman Teacher in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Ombudsman Teacher in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Ombudsman Educational Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Family like environment
    Small caring company

Cons

Lots of changes during the school year which are hard to keep up with

Advice to Management

Better communication with teachers
    Make all changes at beginning of school year not through out the year

Ombudsman Educational Services

Former Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO

I worked at Ombudsman Educational Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This online alternative school for a wide range of at-risk students in middle school and high school was a great concept. Students thrived in a smaller setting with more one-on-one attention. There were significant reductions in behaviors that were seen at the home school. Traditional schools don't always meet the needs of every student. This was a great alternative.

Cons

While this program is a great concept, it is not run by experts in the field of education. It's run by a business. There is very little support for the teachers who are working with a tough population that already don't want to be in school and the pay is horrible. The curriculum provided was disengaging and students quickly learned how to cheat the system. The teachers in my building ended up teaching the content in small groups and made it more attainable for the students.

Advice to Management

Please take the time to listen to the concerns of your employees and please find a new curriculum. It's filled with errors and it only teaches kids how to cheat through it.

6. Ombudsman

I worked at Ombudsman Educational Services

Pros

Very good training, Supervisors are very helpful and the company is well organized

Cons

Low pay and because it is a company not a regular school you are expected to work when the students are not there for the one day holidays and snow days.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Teacher

Current Employee - Anonymous in Penn, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Penn, PA

I have been working at Ombudsman Educational Services full-time

Pros

The kids.No lesson plans, some of the people you work with will be great. Many dedicated staff who toil endlessly to help the kids, because it sure isn't for the money. The autonomy of each center can be a positive . I think the benefits are pretty good. The work environment is only as good as the director.

Cons

Leave your hopes, dreams, opinions and standards at the door. You will NEVER get a raise, no matter how long you work for this company. Even if you have been a great employee for ten or fifteen years, you will not get a raise and a new employee will be paid more than you are. Speaking of pay, it is less than what school bus drivers are paid in my area, even with the contemptibly small "bonuses" offered only to some employees. Paperwork is copious and redundant. Technical issues abound. In many schools there are fewer computers than students. The work is not hard at all, just time consuming. This would be a great job for someone with no aspirations or ambition. The hours are tyrannical unless you enjoy working from 7 am to 4:30pm with 30 minutes for lunch and no breaks. You will never feel less appreciated at any other job. There are some horrible employees in this company, but most are so dedicated to the kids they should get medals. The majority of the good ones leave in droves; as soon as they can find another job, they are gone! A note to employers: Please don't judge a person for working here, some of us are good teachers who had no choice. If we are trying to escape, don't judge, please just hire us and we will be your loyal servants. The company will try to get you to believe that the poor reviews are only a product of disgruntled employees. This is not the case. Every employee of this company that I have met feels the same. Promotions are so few and far between as to be non-existent for most employees. I have no opinion of the CEO, never met him, he has no contact with employees other than group emails. There is a great idea here, but it is poorly executed. Middle management appear to be powerless.

Advice to Management

Stop asking employees how to make this a better job. Stop claiming that employee retention is important to you. You know what it will take, and you are not willing to do that so stop acting as if it's on the table.

Horrible Place to work.

I worked at Ombudsman Educational Services

Pros

Assisting students who are lost in the educational system. Outside of this there are no more positive things to say about this company.

Cons

Very Very Low pay, not enough to pay basic bills and keep up with rising cost of living expenses. Lack of technology and resources and this is a computer based program. Computers are outdated. The focus is not on students but the money from coming from the local school district. More emphasis is put on the district partnership then retaining quality employees. Lack of outside trainings for professionals. Lack of time off days and sick leave. Treated with little too know respect by superiors. Beware of positive reviews.

Advice to Management

Actions speak louder then words.

Great in Theory

Former Employee - Ombudsman Teacher in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Ombudsman Teacher in Shreveport, LA

I worked at Ombudsman Educational Services

Pros

Providing the needed academic assistance and modeling to at risk youth.

Cons

Dumping ground for students who negatively impacted overall public school rating. Lack of top cover to enforce policy. Lack of resources to properly instruct.

Advice to Management

Listen to the needs of the instructors. Keep your word to instructors. Meetings should not be held just for the sake of having them and with no meeting item acted upon. Support the instructors as much as possible.

Ombudsman Educational Services Response

Mar 9, 2015Marketing and social media director

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased that you appreciate the value our program brings to the non-traditional student population in terms of academic assistance and role modeling. It is very ... More

Teacher

I have been working at Ombudsman Educational Services

Pros

Great experience working with young people. Really feeling like I am making a difference. Good leadership support

Cons

Pay is substandard. It is difficult to retain dedicated employees when they are living month to month Don't feel like a professional when paid so little

Advice to Management

Show your employees you appreciate them with higher pay.

Ombudsman Educational Services Response

Mar 24, 2015Marketing and social media director

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your experience working with the students and felt that you truly made a difference in their lives. It is also appreciated that you noted ... More

Employee

Current Employee - Educator in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Educator in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Ombudsman Educational Services

Pros

The position at Ombudsman Educational Services is an opportunity to help at risk youth complete their high school education.

Cons

The most difficult challenge working for this organization is the lack of resources for the students. The centers use out dated technology that is routinely offline and unable to function. The second challenge the centers face are unprofessional and poorly trained teachers. Although the curriculum meets the state departments requirements it is not followed and the grades are often fabricated to push the students through school. The centers are not properly staffed, therefore the teachers are over worked and under paid for the work they do. The organization appears to be top heavy, and the local management is not sufficiently supervised.

Advice to Management

The IT systems need to be updated, the teachers, directors,management needs to have appropriate credentials, and a company wide cleansing of the local management. Train, value, reward your people with a good salary, remember your organization is only as good as the people you hire and retain.

RSS Feed </> Embed