Ombudsman Educational Services

2.2
Mark Claypool

1. Ombudsman

I worked at Ombudsman Educational Services

Pros

Very good training, Supervisors are very helpful and the company is well organized

Cons

Low pay and because it is a company not a regular school you are expected to work when the students are not there for the one day holidays and snow days.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Great in Theory

Former Employee - Ombudsman Teacher in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Ombudsman Teacher in Shreveport, LA

I worked at Ombudsman Educational Services

Pros

Providing the needed academic assistance and modeling to at risk youth.

Cons

Dumping ground for students who negatively impacted overall public school rating. Lack of top cover to enforce policy. Lack of resources to properly instruct.

Advice to Management

Listen to the needs of the instructors. Keep your word to instructors. Meetings should not be held just for the sake of having them and with no meeting item acted upon. Support the instructors as much as possible.

Mar 9, 2015Marketing and social media director

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased that you appreciate the value our program brings to the non-traditional student population in terms of academic assistance and role modeling. It is very ... More

Teacher

I have been working at Ombudsman Educational Services

Pros

Great experience working with young people. Really feeling like I am making a difference. Good leadership support

Cons

Pay is substandard. It is difficult to retain dedicated employees when they are living month to month Don't feel like a professional when paid so little

Advice to Management

Show your employees you appreciate them with higher pay.

Mar 24, 2015Marketing and social media director

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your experience working with the students and felt that you truly made a difference in their lives. It is also appreciated that you noted ... More

Employee

Current Employee - Educator in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Educator in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Ombudsman Educational Services

Pros

The position at Ombudsman Educational Services is an opportunity to help at risk youth complete their high school education.

Cons

The most difficult challenge working for this organization is the lack of resources for the students. The centers use out dated technology that is routinely offline and unable to function. The second challenge the centers face are unprofessional and poorly trained teachers. Although the curriculum meets the state departments requirements it is not followed and the grades are often fabricated to push the students through school. The centers are not properly staffed, therefore the teachers are over worked and under paid for the work they do. The organization appears to be top heavy, and the local management is not sufficiently supervised.

Advice to Management

The IT systems need to be updated, the teachers, directors,management needs to have appropriate credentials, and a company wide cleansing of the local management. Train, value, reward your people with a good salary, remember your organization is only as good as the people you hire and retain.

Teacher experience

Current Employee - Teacher in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Teacher in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Ombudsman Educational Services

Pros

Getting to help special alternstive students who have had s hard life. Finding success and building trust that they can do it.

Cons

Management talks out both sides of their. One moment you're a hero the next a zero.

Advice to Management

Get rid of people who don't care what hsppens to students.

Keep looking. Don't settle for less.

I have been working at Ombudsman Educational Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to help children earn their high school diploma. Your center experience will depend on the leadership in that center. Finally got a bonus for length of service after 6 years!

Cons

Low pay. No annual or cost of living raises. Favoritism runs rampant in AZ Charter. Upper management says a lot of fluff but is not transparent. Investor profits over employee retention and quality education. It's all about the money! New employees are hired at a salary more than veteran staff. Throw your morals, ethics and values out the door when you start working here. We are a diploma mill!

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach (Servant Leadership). Increase pay to obtain better employees. Hold employees accountable and get rid of under-performing employees. Corporate America = GREED!

Dec 22, 2014Marketing and social media director

Thank you for your candid comments; we take all employee feedback seriously. The statements you made are very concerning, but difficult to address without more specific information. Our organization ... More

A Great Balance

Current Employee - English Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - English Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Ombudsman Educational Services part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working for Ombudsman. The other teachers and my boss were great to work with, a very tight-knit community, especially given that I mainly worked in a big center with all the teachers and students. They are very flexible when it comes to family issues and scheduling and their overall culture supports this.

Cons

The pay could be better. It can be quite a commute, given that many centers are in inner city neighborhoods, depends on the set-up of your city. The health benefits are pricey.

Advice to Management

You need a library in each center.

Vast opportunity to serve but the execution of mission is flawed.

Former Employee - Center Director in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Center Director in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Ombudsman Educational Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been treated well by my regional VP. Collegial atmosphere most of the time.

Cons

Company has little consistent direction and the budget always trumps the needs of students and staff. Salaries are dismal.

Advice to Management

management should practice what they preach to middle management about servant leadership.

A great concept but education provided by a for-profit company does not make sense.

Former Employee - Director/Teacher in Derry, NH
    Former Employee - Director/Teacher in Derry, NH

I worked at Ombudsman Educational Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company values and approach to youth/students, very positive. Supervision and support was fair. Supervisors themselves were quality people- high energy, dedicated. Program was valuable to students.

Cons

Advancement only possible if willing to travel extensively. Salary scale does not match extent of demands and responsibilities. Hours are long and not at all a "teacher's schedule."

Advice to Management

Higher pay is badly needed.

Work with students rewarding, but...

Former Employee - Center Director
    Former Employee - Center Director

I worked at Ombudsman Educational Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work withh challenging students. Also get to hone your knowledge of a wide variety of subject areas. My co-workers were great to work with. I took great pride in watching the students change attitude and start to value education. When students graduate was the best part of the job.

Cons

There was a lack of involvement by operations manager. Little teacher support by the company. Overwhelming amount of paperwork on unfriendly systems. Failure of the company to treat teachers as professionals. Although you don't have to take papers home to grade, there were many late evening and weekend hours. The personnel guidelines state that the company wants employees to take time off from a stressful job, but gives no time to do so. They give a very generous two whole days of sick time for first year employees. They have a very good idea but extremely poorly executed.

Advice to Management

If you want your company to last treat your classroom staff as professionals in very way: respect, salary, benefits. Reduce turnover. In three years we had almost 100% turnover rate. People who are happy do not leave their jobs at this rate. And nobody seemed to care.

Ombudsman Educational Services Photos