Omni Hotels

Omni Hotels Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Omni Hotels CEO Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell

Pros:
  • "Great Staff, focus on customer service, and focus on work life balance"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Great people work here, free meals and good travel benefits for some incredible places"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours - but that's to be expected in the hospitality industry"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Upper management did not communicate well with lower level employees"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Current Employee

I have been working at Omni Hotels for less than a year

ProsFree Lunch that's actually pretty good

ConsBenefits are so EXPENSIVE and the company thinks they are giving you a good package.

If someone trains you, you must follow up with others b/c that previous trainer will put you in a bad position and you are blamed for the mistake. Keep documentation!

Brown nose to get to the top. If someone in your previous position was a Brown Noser, TRUST, Upper Mgmt will hold it against you if you do not "meet" the previous employee's butt kissing.

Lot's of discrimination. RUN!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop comparing previous employees to current employees.

great

I worked at Omni Hotels

Proseverything was great about it

Consi dont have anything bad to say

Assistant Front Office Manager

Assistant Front Office Manager (Former Employee)
Irving, TX

I worked at Omni Hotels full-time for more than a year

ProsThey are looking for young naive kids straight out of college, who have hotel experience, and need to pay back their student loans. Not a whole lot of experience required.

ConsLong hours (50-70 p/week), little pay, no weekends or holidays off, you deal with all the guest complaints while the executives hide in the back

Advice to Senior ManagementThe hours are horrible, 50 hours minimum but some weeks you will work as much as 70. Unless you get the AM shift, you'll work late into the night. I worked all three shifts. Including overnight shifts. The schedule would flip repeatedly, so it was hard to develop a sleep schedule or any schedule for that matter. Consider your weekends and holidays gone. I worked Christmas Day, Thanksgiving Day, and New Years eve (and yes I was working at midnight). Your weekends are also usually split days. You deal with all the guest related issues while getting paid the least, and have little to no freedom to manage your department and associates, basically the Front Office Manager and Director of Ops make all the policy decisions and you are just an enforcer.

Great focus on employee and customer satisfaction! Thorough training and manager-approachability.

Front Desk Agent (Current Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Omni Hotels part-time for less than a year

ProsManagement is very accessible and open to conversation. Very flexible scheduling, great for students - both part-time and full-time. Great at motivation and technique correction. Feels very tight-knit and has great synergy. Young management staff with fresh outlooks and creative innovations. Hotel is newly renovated. Event space is heavily used and has been Brides Choice for the last few years running.

ConsDepartments sometimes conflict with common goal, as many hotels typically face as a challenge. Older hotel in the process of renovating offices, on the upswing aesthetically.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to innovate and over-communicate with your employees and upper management to maintain a common goal.

DO NOT WORK HERE!!!!

Richmond, VA

I worked at Omni Hotels full-time for more than a year

ProsIt is a three star hotel. You meet great people.

ConsThe managers do not respect you at all. They build the position up and let you believe you are going to make a ton of money and then you don't even make minimum wage. They do not appropriately train you and let you learn on your own, but they expect you to give four diamond service. They do not give you the tools you need to do your job. They do not care about any issues you experience while working here, because they can easily replace you with a sad sap who thinks the place is great (takes about two months for them to figure it out). They have a high turn over rate, which means that the people who do work here dont want to. My advice to a future applicant: DO NOT APPLY HERE!!! and if you don't believe me, go to the Omni Richmond and ask the workers if they like their jobs. Ask more than one person, they will tell you.

Low Standards

Guest Service Agent (Current Employee)
Richmond, VA

I have been working at Omni Hotels full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat room discounts and opportunity to go above and beyond for guest.

ConsOne of their biggest beliefs which is promote within is rarely utilized, lack of training, complacent which subpar standards

"It was a job"

Server (Former Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I worked at Omni Hotels full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA perk I enjoyed when working within the hotels was the low-cost meals the hotel provided for the employees.
I also utilized the employee discount when vacationing with my wife a few times during my employment.

ConsLack of diversity in management
Lack of upward mobility within the company
Ambiguity in policy and procedures that often work in favor of the employer
Non-competitive wages
High cost to insure employee/spouse and/or family

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps it was just the Omni that I worked in, but there were several areas in which I felt the company could have done better. Some of the areas that need improvement are as follows:

Proper leadership training:

Problem-While employees were directed to utilize good communication skills and encouraged to effectively manage conflict with customers, the same was not enforced for managers when dealing with employees. The management style was often like they were trying to build the plane while flying it in the air. The lack of congruence in the adherence to policy and procedures led to the exodus of many employees including myself.

Solution- Perhaps training and/or team-building activities for those in management that focus on diversity inclusion, effective communication, leadership styles, effectively managing conflict in the workplace, and learning how to be a person of influence (rather than more of a dictator). Also, change happens from the top down and I had a GM that maybe spoke to me 10 times during my entire employment. He was a man of very few words, when he actually spoke to the employees. Modeling qualities of an effective leader have to come from the top down, so from the GM to HR to mid and line management, the qualities they see in employees should be modeled.

Open door policy:

Problem- While it may be noted within the employee handbook, during my 3 years of employment at the Omni Hotel, myself and most of my co-workers often felt unable to go to anyone in management about issues or concerns for fear of backlash. The environment was not one of open, honest communication, rather it was a suck it up and deal with it in order to keep your job.

Solution: To foster a culture of open and honest feedback, as well as to allow employees a chance to air their grievances in an appropriate and respectful manner, managers should maintain confidentiality. If management truly desires to know what employees need (not just desire) to effectively perform their job duties, the employee must feel that their concerns will be handled with integrity and they must not have a fear of employer retaliation in doing so (which was the case most times at the Omni I worked at).

Sales Manager

Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Omni Hotels full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Staff, focus on customer service, and focus on work life balance.

Consbenefits have been stripped away over the past couple of year including no matching 401K, higher health care for less, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop taking away the benefits of the employees

Overworked and Underpaid

I worked at Omni Hotels full-time

Pros- Free parking at our hotel
- Employee discounts on rooms
- Discounted lunch
- Fun parties for hotel associates

Cons- I worked 27 days straight without a day off, then got called in on one of my 2 days of time off.
- Underpaid for the type of work done
- Poor benefit package
- Worked 30 hrs straight due to employees calling off
- Wasn't paid hourly, so I got no OT

Not so happy here, but who is...

Convention Services Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Omni Hotels full-time for less than a year

ProsGood entry level position if you're looking to get into hotel conventions/events
a lot of freedom, no one is baby sitting you in this position.
a lot of down time during your shift
Omni hotel discount
job is very easy
Company phone and email
tips

ConsPaying for parking, $55 a month
The hours are terrible, if there is a meeting at 6 am, you better believe you will be scheduled to be there at 5am. No consistency either, you will never have a set schedule or weekends or holidays off unless there isn't any events going on. Which there always is. So its hard to make future plans
Clients can be a pain, but not really
A lot of down time, and this goes hand in hand with not being allowed to sit in the office because they want you on the floor, even if there are no scheduled events.
You have to wear a uniform
On your feet all day/constantly walking around for 8 1/2 hours
health insurance is expensive

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be more understandable, that sometimes there is nothing to do after all the meeting/events are done for the day, and we have nothing to do. Seriously I have to search high and low for something to do, and you can only check on clients so many times when they say they don't need anything or everything is all set. Working early morning shifts 5am-6am sucks ( I know theres not much you can do about it) but maybe warn future candidates that the hours will be early. Need better work and life balance.

Worked for Omni Hotels? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Omni Hotels reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Omni Hotels CEO Jim Caldwell. All 109 reviews posted anonymously by Omni Hotels employees.