Omni Hotels

Updated January 26, 2015
3.8

Omni Hotels CEO Jim Caldwell
Jim Caldwell

Pros
  • Omni is a financially sound company with lots of opportunity for growth and relocation (in 8 reviews)

• Great company that practices its culture from the CEO all the way through the organization (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management and HR ignore every issue and dont stand up for employees (in 14 reviews)

• Long hours - but that's to be expected in the hospitality industry (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company, but growing too fast

I worked at Omni Hotels

Pros

Good management programs and good internal promotability, hotel benefits

Cons

some hotels asre so buys that work/ life balance is not present, benefits are lakcing

Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Server in Amelia Island, FL
    Current Employee - Server in Amelia Island, FL

I have been working at Omni Hotels

Pros

Focused on being professionals but allow employees to joke around and have fun. Always hours and able to cross-utilize for extra hours. Fair and good at recognizing people for their accomplishments.

Cons

The consistency of managers can very sometimes. Which, can be frustrating. But, overall nothing awful comes to mind.

Keep a consistent management style. Always apply rules and disciplinary actions across the board. Not just when you're upset.

Great Company to work for

I have been working at Omni Hotels full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great company to work for, great people, great benefits

Cons

none at this moment, i enjoy going to work every day. i like the people i work with.

WONDERFUL

Former Employee - Recreation Aide in Amelia Island, FL
    Former Employee - Recreation Aide in Amelia Island, FL

I worked at Omni Hotels full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is a wonderful company to work for. Everyone is very up beat and enthusiastic! They have wonderful benefits as well, I can't wait to work for them again!

Cons

There really aren't any, you are working at a beautiful upscale resort on the beach-how can you beat that?!

Keep doing what you are doing!!!!

Admin

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Omni Hotels full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Beautiful hotel, have made some great friends here, seem to promote from within at company.

Cons

Starting to wonder if they really will promote from within. Sr leader in our dept doesn't know how to work Delphi and has his favorites (other admins) that he socializes with on the weekends. Seems like favoritism. Leadership sometimes seems to not care.

Have same rules apply to everyone. Listen to our needs when you have meetings with us.

Solid Hotel Company

I worked at Omni Hotels full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great hotels and lots of capitol for investments. High standards for a luxury product with thought out growth and real capitol spent on decisive assets.

Cons

Complicated back loaded bonus program. senior leadership not in touch with specific markets.

Fine employer

I have been working at Omni Hotels

Pros

is good place to work

Cons

does not pay ver well low pay

don't get so personal with you're employees

If u like long hours, low pay, high benefits n no time for family. Omni Colonnade is the place.

Former Employee - Concierge in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Concierge in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Omni Hotels

Pros

The employees. Expecially the Bellmen. We spend more time with each other then with our own families. So we're family.

Cons

This hotel is very corporate like most hotels. You're just a body for a shift. I've worked for this hotel for almost five years! I have bent over backwards for the manages here. Came in early, on Days off, covered many shifts when asked by my managers. In one year I can count the OSC recognition cards from the FOM with both my hands. NOT RIGHT! My views felt unvalued, and favoritism is high for this hotel. I see the restaurant manager take Coffee n snakes to the young ladies in the sales team but when I asks to taste the new coffee that was being sold in the Morsels to be able to recommend it to our guest without hesitation he said no. As a concierge it is my duty to recommend what is offered through the hotel. How cani when i have not tried it. Can I say Favoritism! Managers at the front desk have their favorites. It's obvious when they offer to buy items from the gift shop to ONLY certain employees. Not Only that I was continually having to tell managers that we employees needed more recognition. I have been a concierge since I started working here. I have worked in other departments as well. I've even helped front desk at times. But never got the proper training. I've asked my manages numerous times to be trained in front desk so I can better assist them when needed. It seemed as though they didnt want me to move up or even try to help me improve my capabilities. To them I was just a body to be placed when needed. To them, since I was "not educated" they're were no chances of me moving up. It really sucked for those who have been there for years bcuz position were only given to the UTSA "educated employees". I have been working since I was in high school. I am very capable to work or handle any job that is given to me. They really made me feel as though I was not worthy of furthering my experiences.

Stop hiring these UTSA students who are ONLY using this job as a summer job or for extra cash. They never last. Why not try hiring people who ACTUALLY HAVE HOSPITALITY EXPERIENCE. These people are the ones that will last, they know the job n the importance of the hotel industry. These are the ones that wanna move up. I had a "educated,UTSA,student" ask how to use Google to look up a Pizza Hut near by. Seriously?! I gave them the same look you Gave me when I asked to move up n said, "Pizza Hut 78230". Now was that hard? Start hiring People with common sense so that you won't keep hiring every 3-6months.
    Also give your employees a try. One may not be good at one thing but can Excel in an other. Just give them a try, what do you have to lose. One last thing MORE OSC CARDS.

oh n another sales team stop having your employees go under glass door a say how much they love their job. They hate doing this. Just a FYI.

Flexibility

I have been working at Omni Hotels

Pros

Not applicable at this time

Cons

Doesn't allow for working from home even though you have remote access. You will not be paid for work done at home

extremely political

I have been working at Omni Hotels full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Training, great coworkers, upward advancement opportunitties

Cons

conservative/antiquated core values, no concept of work/life balance, reluctant to accept change, notoriously low-paying hotel company

Work/life balance and progressive energy would make a world of difference. Things don't have to be the way they always have been, take politics out of the equation and focus on the business at hand.