OmniUpdate

www.omniupdate.com

OmniUpdate Reviews

Updated Jun 2, 2014

Lance Merker

So far, so good. Lots of growth here.

ProsFlexible, friendly, relaxed work atmosphere. There's a great little cafe in the office always stocked with snacks for us. Approachable management, and definitely a deep commitment to customers. Company is definitely growing.

ConsThe entire office feels very dull and corporate, which does a disservice to the people who actually work here. Not the greatest introduction/socialization process to the company; I still haven't met everyone in my department, and I barely got a tour of the entire office upon starting work.

Advice to Senior ManagementLiven up the office a bit (less beige, perhaps). The rest is still to early to pass judgement on.

Enjoyable work atmosphere

ProsSmart, helpful and friendly colleagues, enjoyable work environment, a few of the mid-level managers are really great and competent, free snacks and drinks in the cafe, and an overall decent benefits package.

ConsSmaller company, so it sometimes feels like there aren't as many opportunities for upward mobility. Separate departments could work more efficiently together, there can be a lack of communication on projects at times. The top level management often shuts down idea's from their employee's, and are not receptive to constructive criticism or suggestions. Also, no telecommuting which can make work/life balance difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrengthen the core corporate culture to improve employee moral and help foster more inter-departmental collaboration. This will breed more innovation and positively impact efficiency. Consider being more transparent with corporate decisions. Listen to suggestions from employee's and mid-level management, there are some really talented and smart individuals on the staff that are worth retaining.

The fun never stops.

ProsCoworkers include many "good eggs" that, if I left the company tomorrow, I'd still keep in touch with. Free snacks are nice. Customers are usually a pleasure to work with. Some days, it's a great place to work, especially considering how limited options are in this area. PTO allowance is decent (3 weeks annually at hire, 4 after 5 years). Generally speaking, if you're fresh out of college, it's a great place to build up some experience before moving up the ladder.

ConsWhen I say that the fun never stops, by "fun" I mean pressure to produce. A recent product upgrade was a strenuous, 12 month+ effort. Our thanks for this extended period of "overdrive" was a round of applause. No "release party" or anything of the sort.

Upward mobility is basically impossible in many cases - those in higher up positions have been there for quite some time, and don't appear to be vacating any time soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove work-life balance: nobody likes working more than 40 hours a week for an extended period of time.

Be willing to spend more on salaries: a few extra thousand will keep the best employees and keep them, rather than having people leave their position abandoned for a few months, burdening everyone else.

Improve the facilities: the office is not nearly as nice as it could be.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worse Upper Level Management

ProsCoworkers, who often go above and beyond, what is asked of them only to get the shaft from management.

ConsProbably one of the stingiest company I've ever worked for and it starts with the CEO. In what company does a snack/supply order have to be approved by the CEO who then goes in and removes items?

Don't let that disingenuous smile fool you, the CEO is a tightwad. The company only buys a birthday cake when it's the CEO or the Company's Founder. That's it. For the rest of the employee, it is up to a select group of people (party planners) who put up their own money to provide cakes for the other employees.

Depending on which department you work for, there is definite favoritism. Development teams gets to go on a retreat trips. Support, Sales, Implementation. No so much because the work people do in those departments are not deemed important. In fact, some departments have to record what they do for all 8 hours. Go to the bathroom? Better mark it down. Feeling thirsty? Better mark it down that you went to the breakroom to grab some water.

And don't get too comfortable, HR loves to change things to benefit the company. First it was salary. Then it was non-exempt salary, now it's non-exempt hourly. Work 7 hours and it's 4pm and you have to pick up your child, well,I hope you have some PTO or you're not getting paid.

Did a wonderful job and got a lot of praise through out the year. Expect to get a $1K annual raise, or $2K if they lowballed your salary - which is non negotiable when you start.

For being employee of the month,you get, wait for it, a nice certificate that management emphatically reminds you, 'That's going on your file'. You know, so you can get that 'great' raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you have employees who leave the company every other week, surely you must realize that your policies are not working. In the 6 months, you've had at least 12 employees who've left the company. Time to wake up

Really disappointing experience

(Former Employee)

ProsMost of my co-workers were very nice people, although there were a couple of glaring exceptions. Had the chance to learn some new skills and stretch my abilities some.

ConsExtremely low pay - I think this company is probably the most tight-fisted I've dealt with as an employee. All the compensation policies are set up to benefit the company, even if it hurts the employee's bottom-line. It's easy to fall in to the trap because of the "promise" of future increased compensation. Management seems to be completely oblivious to the unfairness of the policies, or just doesn't care.
    Some staff (mainly developers) are treated like the golden children, while most of the other staff are treated like second-class citizens. There is some definite favoritism going on and it has a pretty big impact on morale (and again management is either clueless or just don't care).
    Other than technology development skills, most of the management really have no actual "management" skills: Communication is all one-direction (them to you), very poor leadership skills, lack of understanding of any team-building or motivation methods, and it just seems like some managers landed in their roles because they were good at what they did, not because they can actually manage.
    High turnover rate…incredibly high turnover, actually. A lot of the positions at OmniUpdate seem to be a revolving door with the same position having to be filled 2 - 3 times a year. They seem to be hiring on a constant basis, but the company isn't actually growing. I guess my experience there was not out of the norm.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement must have at least some idea of the concept of fairness. They really need to look at the way they treat people. If they keep treating staff like they're disposable, the turn-over rate is going to remain high. No one likes being treated like garbage.
    The CEO needs to listen to people more (other than just babying his developers) and respect their experience and skills. He needs to realize he's surrounded by talented people and they are the reason for the company's success.
    Pay people fairly - forget the "free" snacks and actually invest in your people by paying them salaries on par with the rest of the higher ed software industry. You're literally paying half what other companies pay, even with your "generous" commission plans.

Awesome co-workers, most of whom are seriously underpaid

(Former Employee)

Pros- Excellent product
    - Get to work with some extremely talented people
    - Casual and fun atmosphere
    - Great customer base (higher ed clients)

Cons- Very low compensation plan and poorly designed/managed commission plan (Management claims sales cycle averages 6 months, but that's because some sales can happen in 3 months, while most take a year or more. So, unless you have a huge savings to carry you for a year, expect to scrape by with a salary that is much, much lower than industry average)
    - Some policies seem to be moving target, changing to benefit some over others. Management definitely plays favorites.
    - No telecommuting option despite the job being very doable for a professional that can work from home.

Advice to Senior Management- Value your employees and their talents, otherwise expect to still have a "revolving door" situation for many of the positions.
    - Also, good leaders understand that they don't have all the answers and therefore, value the talented people they surround themselves with.
    - Relax. For such a casual work setting, you seem pretty uptight.

Awesome place to work at

Senior Developer (Current Employee) Camarillo, CA

ProsGreat people, infrastructure and environment

ConsLow pay and very low raises

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't expect amazing results if you are not willing to pay better to the employees

Pleasant working environment with friendly coworkers

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Camarillo, CA

ProsFriendly coworkers, stocked break room, excellent benefits, close to beach, beautiful weather, short commute, challenging work with encouragement from management.

ConsNo continuing education / tuition assistance program

Advice to Senior ManagementMore options for educational advancement, increase the focus on internal staff, reward unappreciated staff members, improve internal documentation and training

Friendly, Supportive, and lots of Snacks and Coffee

ProsThis is a very youthful and friendly environment where support is always available if you ask for it. There is a plethora of snacks and drinks in the "Cafe" so you will never go hungry here, and lots of coffee should you be feeling sleepy.

ConsDifficult to not gain weight here.

For a job right out of college, I have absolutely no complaints

ProsGreat city to live and work in, plenty of snacks, friendly coworkers, opportunities to grow

ConsKeeping track of all the new hires

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage workers to fight for the changes they feel are needed

Worked for OmniUpdate? Contribute to the Community!