Omnicare

Updated November 24, 2014
Updated November 24, 2014
2.6

Nitin Sahney

Pros
  • The pay is decent, and the health benefits are good (in 7 reviews)

• Pay and benefits are pretty good compared to retail (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement, unless you want to stay 15 years at low pay (in 7 reviews)

• Bad management, low pay, lots of favoritism, demands overtime and unprofessional environment (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Former Employee - Consultant Pharmacist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant Pharmacist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Omnicare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Loved working for Omnicare as a Pharmacy Consultant. Flexible hours, great staff, good pay are some pros.

Cons

They could have more affordable health insurance

HR Executive with high hopes for the future

Current Employee - Senior Director of Talent Management in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Director of Talent Management in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Omnicare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Omnicare is a great place to work. The people are energetic, dedicated and adaptable to change. Nitin and the rest of the Executive Leadership are doing all the rights things for us to be successful long term. The company is moving in a direction that is shedding the mediocrity and poor leadership of its past. There's a culture of success, in that slowly but surely people are focused on meeting and exceeding goals. While there's a ton of change, it's a helpful dynamic for people that want to feel that sense of urgency towards accomplishing goals from more than just themselves.

Cons

On the downside, constant change can have a negative effect on employee morale. The new direction, speed and accountability are not for everyone. So either get on the bus or watch us succeed from the sidelines.

Keep pushing for change, talent and culture

It's all about your coworkers

Current Employee - Order Entry Technician in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Order Entry Technician in Boston, MA

I have been working at Omnicare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've been working here 8 months and I still love it. My coworkers are hard working, amazing people and I enjoy going into work. I feel like everyday I learn something new and it's great.The 'unlimited' overtime is a dream come true, especially coming from a corporate retail pharmacy. I'll admit training was extremely difficult at first since it's so different from retail, but after a few months it all sort of clicks.

Cons

Every job will have it's negatives. For this place I think it comes down to a few key things: The computer system is very difficult to get used to, if you're not good with computers this is not the place for you. If you have no Long Term Care pharmacy experience, training is a nightmare; this is very, very different from retail pharmacy. Theres a 'divide' between the day and night shifts, mostly caused by a drastic difference in workload.

Spread out the delivery runs, that way night shift isn't doing 5 runs while the day shift does 1.

Easy work but not worth it

I worked at Omnicare

Pros

Some flexibility, coworkers were nice

Cons

Lack of training, no real room for advancement, lack of organization, employees putting in minimal effort, lack of communication, lack of planning, lack of transparency

Text book management < experience. Get it together, keep employees apprised of changes being planned, don't just drop surprises without notice that people don't have time to adapt to or keep up with.

High attrition rate, terrible work culture

Former Employee - Corporate Office in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Corporate Office in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Omnicare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation, learned a lot, convenient downtown location

Cons

Unethical, benefits are lousy, sexual and personal harassment by upper management frequent, high attrition and turnover. Company is constantly being fined which results in no raises/bonuses for employees, plus frequent layoffs/firings to save money.

1st experience in Pharmacy

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I worked at Omnicare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

When you are not meeting your goals in one department they will work with you to move you to other jobs if they are available. All jobs are posted internally first.

Cons

Managers more interested in meeting off site than making sure the job was being done in the office. When help was needed no one was around to get the job done.

Show dedication yourself to doing the work and the employees might follow your example.

They're clueless!

Former Employee - Controlled Substances Certified Pharmacy Technician
    Former Employee - Controlled Substances Certified Pharmacy Technician

I worked at Omnicare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hour for lunch and no real dress code. Their vision insurance plan is great.

Cons

Nobody knows what they're doing, and I'm talking about the managers. The pharmacy tech pay is WAY below the standard rate for a closed-door pharmacy, which is probably why they can't keep any good techs on staff for long. Ancient computer systems, we're talking MS DOS! Forget about ever getting a raise or recognition for anything. When I found out they're ranked in the middle of the Fortune 500 list, I was STUNNED.

Get out of your office. CROSS-TRAINING! Especially for pharmacists! Observe the daily tasks performed in various depts and use some critical thinking skills. Brush up on supply and demand, and the benefits of actual incentives for your employees, bc nobody cares.

just ok

Former Employee - Pharmacist in Plainview, NY
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Plainview, NY

I worked at Omnicare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

monotonous work but do-able,, not enough having all pharmacists be able to do all facets of the job--everyone,, especially the men were interchangeable, but women pharmacista were not integrated into entire system and ways of doing differnet resposibilities,,e.g. narcotics,, scaNNING, customer servive--they were immune from doing other pharmacist jobs--e.g. staing late and closing the pharmacy--left on time to the minute like a factory worker, but males were expected to stay till completion

Cons

hours/and preferential treatment were a BIG NEGATIVE,,, wanted no input from saff

"LISTEN"

Omnicare is not a good company to wor for

I have been working at Omnicare

Pros

Dress how you want. They have a dress policy that isn't enforced.

Cons

A lot of unfairness by supervisors and management- complaints will result in retaliation even though they say it won't.

Listen to your employees...a thank you goes a long way...and find out the REAL reason for your high turn around. Micro-managing is unpreductive to everyone

love the job

Current Employee - Account Executive in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Omnicare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

wonderful job, for the most part

Cons

No communications , training , promotions , time off